Previous   Next

Do you think there should be a loss limit at casinos in Kansas?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 27, 2008

Browse the archives

“I believe so. But I think it should be higher than $500, because I know serious gamblers are willing to go beyond that.”

“Yeah. It should probably be the same as it is in Missouri, but I don’t really know because I don’t go to casinos. Life is already a gamble.”

“I really do think folks should be limited on what they can lose. I think it should be a reasonably large limit, but I think a loss limit is a good way to curb gambling addiction.”

“Yeah. I think that is a good idea. Some people can afford to lose more than others, but for the average person I think it’s a good idea.”

Comments

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

prospector (Anonymous) says: :"How many miles is it to Catalina? Do you know the song?"Marion writes:"Twenty-six miles across the sea.....................forty kllometers in a leaky old boat..........."

mr_economy 5 years, 11 months ago

If the only person harmed by excessive gambling was the moron doing it, I would be all for letting him/her run him/herself into the ground. But because there is often a family involved whose lives are also ruined, this is one area where I would support regulation. Children should not have to suffer because of the wicked combination of stupidity and libertarian (inaccurate) ideals.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

jonas epic doz gud!U slp..Ceiling Cat whatcz ovr Uz!

prospector 5 years, 11 months ago

Ms. Canada, thanks for returning to our fair country and leaving behind some of those valuable Canadian dollars for us. Don't worry, they will be back for your crude oil.How many miles is it to Catalina? Do you know the song? The Casino is a very cool building with a classic art deco motif. A good place to jump in and see the kelp forest just off shore. Garibaldi's are very cool fish and everywhere. Did you see the buffalo herd that wanders around the island? I think I could live there if it were not an island.

jonas 5 years, 11 months ago

O-Bob: If you feel like taking some gambling risks, I've got a couple street vendors here that you should try!Kya! I just wrote a 16 page single spaced recommendation paper in 7 hours straight. I B teh tiredz!

Eride 5 years, 11 months ago

"50YearResident (Anonymous) says:Loss Limits are good for the Casinos. Most people lose the limit before they figure out how to play the game. The Casino takes your money before you wise up enough to possibly win it back. They simile and cut you off saying, it's for your own good! Really! The odds are you will loose the limit before you will win big. Loss Limits are for the Casino::"Actually no, loss limits are horrendous for casinos. You lack any kind of basic knowledge how casinos operate and of statistics. Other then cheating (which is almost impossible to do) you can never know a game well enough to swing the odds out of the casinos favor. They want people to keep on gambling, they want people to rationalize that since they have lost so many times in a row that any time now the odds are they have to win which will get them out of that hole (in statistics this is known as the gamblers fallacy).

acg 5 years, 11 months ago

No, not at all. I'm tired of the gov't holding everyone's hand for them. If you can't handle your gambling, then grow the hell up and stay out of the casinos. If you lose all of your money because you can't handle your gambling, well, then you're an idiot, aren't you and we all know that I have no patience or sympathy with idiots. Which is why I have to stay away from the gay marriage board or I'll lose my freakin' mind. I wonder how some of these people even bathe themselves without drowning.

Ceallach 5 years, 11 months ago

Limits will just challenge folks to find ways around them. My limit is my tightness:) I'm way too stingy to gamble with money, so I have no fear of losing more that I can afford. I don't care if it's only 20 bucks. If I'm putting out cash I expect to have something to show for it, a t-shirt, mug, . . something.

ModerateOne 5 years, 11 months ago

Loss limits prohibit rich people from gambling according to their means (see, e.g., Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley) but allow poor people to lose all their money if they want to. What a regressive system.If the system is designed to help with the tax burden it should be eager to get that help from those who can afford it -- don't limit the right of rich people to give money to the state at the casino!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Good to know..I thought that might be a poor representative.That's why I didn't just say Vietnamese food, but qualified it to a local restaurant!Thanks.

madam_hillarys_pantsuits 5 years, 11 months ago

"Life is already a gamble."Very pithy, Erica! Very pithy!lol

themiddlechild 5 years, 11 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says:Try the vietnamese food at a local Chinese place.If that is what the Vietnamese eat, I want to rescue the whole population!---------------------------That's not the Vietnamese eat. at least not the dishes they served in the restaurant.

ms_canada 5 years, 11 months ago

Never been a gambler, unless you count the odd bingo game. Gambling is an addiction, to be sure and any help that can be given to the poor sucker should be extended. Haven't we all heard of some poor fellow or gal who has lost all their life savings plus house and home. Such a shame that our governments have to count on money received from this sickness. I was on Catalina Island last week with my sister and there is a most beautiful building there that is a Casino, BUT, there is no gambling going on there. It is a wonderful large ballroom on the top floor and a theatre on the ground floor where movies are shown on Friday night and often there are organ concerts. Look at the Catalina website to see a picture of it. It is quite impressive. The word Casino is italian and means a gathering place for pleasurable events. Is gambling pleasureable if you lose your shirt????

looza 5 years, 11 months ago

I dont care about loss limits Just don't mess with the casino buffets. When I lose a couple of grand I like to take it out on the salisbury steak and mashed potatoes.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

ohhhhh..you want to gamble? Try the vietnamese food at a local Chinese place.If that is what the Vietnamese eat, I want to rescue the whole population! I tried 3 different things, and each was inedible.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

The only time I gamble is when I eat Chinese take-out.

prospector 5 years, 11 months ago

No, casinos have families too.

Left_handed 5 years, 11 months ago

Gambling is a tax on those whose levels of stupidity and greed are high enough to get them to think they can make money without real effort. Natural selection suggests that, from a Darwinian perspective, they should be allowed to lose as much as they are dumb enough to.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

Casinos are obnoxious; I think there should be a casino limit of zero. Let Vegas and Atlantic City keep them.

50YearResident 5 years, 11 months ago

Loss Limits are good for the Casinos. Most people lose the limit before they figure out how to play the game. The Casino takes your money before you wise up enough to possibly win it back. They simile and cut you off saying, it's for your own good! Really! The odds are you will loose the limit before you will win big. Loss Limits are for the Casino......

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Marriage...their should be a limit on how much of your money she can take from you when she takes off with yer best friend...I sure miss.....my money...and my friend!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

With the high cost of gas and the out of control economy in general...To take a Lady out on the town ...Dinner,Movie,Drinks...etc. (and with high hopes that she will drop the panties) Isnt that a gamble? Too bad we dont have legalized Prostitution...cuz it would be less expensive to buy the sex ! Less of a gamble than dating..and way less expensive than the Gamble called Marriage! Marriage..now thats what I call Hardcore Gambling !!!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

I played BlackJack one evening over 10 years ago..I played approx. 12 hours...8 hours in i was down 400 + dollars ..I switched floors and ended up getting most of my money back....all but 20 dollars...When we got back to larryville I Bought a scratch lottery ticket at Kwik-Shop at 19th & Mass....I hit for 20 dollars...I didnt win any money ahead...but broke even and got 12 hours of entertainment! All it cost me was the gasoline (much cheaper back then) and my time...abd it was time well spent, I had a blast hangin out with my friends! Good Times ! But if they are gonna allow the Gambling..then they should do it up right like...Vegas...No limits..and Prostitutes! Do it up right or dont do it at all!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Even I will admit to buying a few lottery tickets,,but only when their chances of winning looked better than my regular week did for surviving.I've only gone gambling once. I played a couple of machines, hit the jackpot, and pocketed the winnings. I knew it wasn't likely to happen again.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

(multi does Tom Hanks face nodding acknowledging likelyhood)

i_tching 5 years, 11 months ago

Instead of at casinos, it would be much better to place loss limits for people visiting hospitals and emergency departments. $500 sounds about right.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, Multi, it could be that the high cost of gas drives some people to gamble just hoping to win to try to pay for the gas. (Pun intended.)

blue73harley 5 years, 11 months ago

The only gambling I do is the weekly contribution to my retirement plan...powerball...and that ain't workin' out so well either!

sunflower_sue 5 years, 11 months ago

Thanks md. I'm among the living. I can now change the channel on the TV remote without breaking out in a cold sweat. :)

Tony Kisner 5 years, 11 months ago

No to limits, State sponsored gambling is an efficient tool to redirect federal monies back into State coffers. I would propose that rather than having social security checks mailed to retirees, they should be sent directly to the casinos and held on account for the retired person. This would eliminate the banks, grocery stores, and utility company's first claim on the funds and quickly move the money into the State Budget.I also think in the next Federal agriculture bill language should be included which would allow State chartered casinos to accept food stamps as currency. Again this is an untapped flow of cash just waiting to be exploited.

Kyle Neuer 5 years, 11 months ago

No.If you can't afford to lose, stay out of the casino. Otherwise, let the buyer beware.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Morning Sue..how are you feeling?I think a lot of people will be gambling less due to the cost of gas.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 11 months ago

yes, because ultimately, we will end up paying to get the loser's family out of debt when they've pi$$ed away everything they've owned. Who cares if another family is in a shelter and sucking up tax payer dollars in welfare checks??? I do!

deskboy04 5 years, 11 months ago

No...let them spend as much money as they want to. I don't care. I don't believe in gambling, but if other people want to throw their money away...that's fine with me.

scootterxlch 5 years, 11 months ago

loss limits are stupid. no win limit no loss limit.let people make their own choices.casinos do not ruin families or whatever capricious argument do gooders want to throw in. Live and let live enforce the expectation of personal responsibility.and STOP TRYING TO LEGISLATE MORALITY!!!!!!

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

Hell no. I needs my kids educated or my potholes fixed. Whatever gambling money is supposed to go to in this great state.Looking good, Wade.

jonas 5 years, 11 months ago

Too bad we have neither the inclination or the obligation to live in a "virtuous society." Especially not in the narrow way you probably define it. The question? If we don't expect a win limit, we can't expect a loss limit. And we don't expect a win limit, nor would people agree with it.

purplesage 5 years, 11 months ago

You betcha - (pun intended). It ought to be $0 - because the greed based, life ruining industry has no place in a virtuous society. Close the casinos and life will be better in Kansas. And get rid of the governor who is all for adding more casinos. The latest plan is new low, getting our state govenment into the gambling business.