Previous   Next

How often do you visit the graves of your loved ones?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 26, 2008

Browse the archives

“I moved from Lawrence to Houston in 1955, and we drive back here every year on Memorial Day weekend to decorate the graves and pay our respects.”

“Probably only once a year, usually around the holidays when I get the chance to go back home.”

“I never have. All of my grandparents and great-grandparents are still alive, so I don’t have any to visit.”

“I haven’t been back here for 12 years, but now that I am, I’m going up to Daisy Hill on campus to visit them on Memorial Day.”

Comments

Bone777 5 years, 11 months ago

After they have passed away...

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

My mom used to put artificial flowers every year, then go pick them up to use again.After she died, I bought a very large number of new ones, as I wanted to not only decorate the few family members she did, but also those from longer ago.The first year I took out weed killer and the other lawn stuff, trimmed, put things in order and put out the new flowers.Due to my son's medical issues, I got very busy, and missed picking up those flowers to reuse on time, and they were thrown out by the cemetary.No funds to do it again.alas.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

I was in my early 20s when my pops passed...he was only 51...It took me a long time 2 get over the pain..but now when I hear a song he liked ..It just brings a huge grin upon my face! And occasionally he visits me in my dream state & I always look forward 2 the next slumber time visit! He was a great man! Loved by many good people..Hated by many @ssholes...His name is Harvey Franklin Shane..he hated his middle name for some reason(so all 4 of his offspring..we have no middle name) He was a man that lived hard & died young..but..he packed more fun in 51 yrs than most people would in 3 Full lifetimes! Any old timers reading this may remember him..he was a Race Car Driver with huge Balls(I luv Dale Earnhart..but my pops was much more agressive than he was on the track..& made Dale look like a pussy..no offense Dale R.I.P....I am sure they are runnin things on the other side!)He reached the status (got pics 2 prove it) Indy..and then the fam.(my G-ma & my mom covinced him 2 give it up..4 safety concerns) I miss my pops! Any of you that were (and reading this) Verle & Doc Wells built his carz in N.Lawrence & he was wrenching at Jerry Allen Volkswagon(now the area in front o first watch restaraunt..when Herbie the luv bug came out my pops made a replica of Herbie..and they parked it in front of the Granada(when it was a theatre)...and they had a dark green bug dragster (which they did test runs in front o J.Allen V-wagon) and me & my brother Dan got 2 ride in the back in a real race at the ole Dragstrip(u can see remnants o the track behind 1311 wakarusa) that Li`l Bug was a Wheelie Machine! In todays world ..ridin down the Dragstrip would be considered Child Endangerment! But I thank u Pops 4 giving me the experience 2 remember u by 4 the rest of my life! Love Ya ..Miss Ya Pops! Thanks 4 the Memories!

Kat Christian 5 years, 11 months ago

Traditionally I would visit the gravesite of my fiancee' (who was killed in Viet Nam) - last time was 3 years ago. Now that my mother and 3 sisters are gone I would visit them if they were so far away (1200 to be exact). But with gas prices, airlines prices, time contraints it is getting more difficult to travel. So I will pay my homage to them in prayer and have thoughts of them all the day long.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

When I was a kid, I used to go to the cemetaries with my grandparents and help them decorate the graves. My grandpa would tell us stories about his parents and relatives. After he passed away, my family would go home every memorial day to help my mom and grandma decorate the stones. My mom couldn't understand why it meant so much to me, but it was the memories. My grandma passed away last Christmas, and I wanted to go this year, but couldn't.

dminear60 5 years, 11 months ago

My grandma and I always traveled to the cemeteries together each memorial day and decorated the graves of our family. Before she died, I promised her I would continue the tradition and I have kept my promise and will continue to do so as long as I am able. I cannot break my promise to her.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

Actually, some years back I gave up visiting graves.To me it's kind of like going to a house at which there is no one home and I do not find that staring at a poorly cast chunk of bronze or a bit of chipped granite has anything to do with the memory of the person who has passed on.

classclown 5 years, 11 months ago

Never had them buried. Took them to a taxidermist and keep them in the car so I can use the carpool lane.