Previous   Next

What type of fish do you eat most?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 20, 2008

Browse the archives

“I guess salmon. I think it’s because it’s more readily available at restaurants and it’s pretty good for you.”

“I typically don’t eat fish. I probably eat more whitefish than anything else because that’s what they put in fish sticks.”

“Tilapia. It tastes really good. I always get it when they serve it up on campus.”

“Trout. I assume that it’s more fresh because it can be caught locally and has less distance to travel. And I prefer its flavor to most other fish.”

Comments

Joe Hyde 5 years, 11 months ago

How careless of me to miss this one. Sorry.My favorite? Panfish. The little sweethearts are dropped into an ice chest immediately upon being unhooked. They are taken home, placed on a tail-clamp fillet board and scaled, then each side is carefully filleted resulting in two boneless pieces of meat that are placed immediately in ice water. Once all the fish are cleaned these fillets are quick-rinsed, placed in a zip-loc bag and concentrated lemon juice is poured in. The air is squeezed out of the bag, the bag zipped closed then placed in the freezer compartment. (Unless fried immediately.)To cook, place the thawed, drained fillets in a zip-loc bag containing Louisiana New Orleans style fish fry (the kind with lemon added). Shake the bag to coat fillets. Fry in vegetable, peanut, canola or olive oil.The greatest destroyer of fish flavor is heat -- heat absorbed in the field. Too many fishermen will let their catch lie in the sun or otherwise get warm; the fish's flesh has spoiled by the time it arrives home and thus will never taste good. Properly protecting panfish (bluegill, crappie, red ears, green sunfish, etc.) takes planning, and cleaning small-bodied panfish involves more work than with larger fish. But the result is a platter of fish stick-sized fillets that have no bones and outstanding flavor.They are worth the trouble.

beccadog 5 years, 11 months ago

Wild salmon is the only animal source I eat. Otherwise, I try to eat vegetarian because the Bush Administration has eliminated most controls and has allowed the food to become more contaminated. I'm very particular which foods I consume.

Crossfire 5 years, 11 months ago

Big ol' Blue Cats from the bottom of the Mighty Kaw.I need the herbicides and heavy metals to maintain my carcinogen levels.Yummy mercury and 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid.

dirkleisure 5 years, 11 months ago

The ones I find in a barrel. Buckshot removed, naturally.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

You made me think of it. Our local fishing guru, riverat, commented elsewhere at 2:30, but missed stating his favorite fish here.

riverdrifter 5 years, 11 months ago

Brook trout and walleye. Smoked ciscoes. Time for a quick run up north, come to think of it.

its_getting_warmer 5 years, 11 months ago

Newsflash to Cool: If you want to eat "organic" fish, it very likely will be farm raised.http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/28/business/28fish.html

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 11 months ago

hilary, One time it was left in the lye too long and ended up being "soap fish".

Sagecasey 5 years, 11 months ago

Orange Roughy and freshly caught Crappie

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

One of my husbands really got into the "blackened redfish" when that first got to the midwest.Shortly afterwards, some Real Cajun chef was on TV saying, "if his momma ever blackened anything she threw it out!".I could no longer keep a straight face any time he ordered it a restaurants.

its_getting_warmer 5 years, 11 months ago

mom of three: try some farm raised catfish. Very clean Tilapia good too.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 5 years, 11 months ago

Pink_Sock (Anonymous) says: Out here in California hot chicks are still called "snapper".*************Pink_Sock? What does pink sock mean?

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Salmon. Tried some catfish a few months back, which I haven't had since I was a kid, and couldn't eat it. it tasted like dirty river water. yuk

Pink_Sock 5 years, 11 months ago

Out here in California hot chicks are still called "snapper".

i_have_only_valid_opinions 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, it's something that sometimes tastes and smells like fish, but is better when it doesn't most of the time. I guess it depends on how well you clean them! Typically they are a pinkish meat variety. There are lots of different names for it. Sometimes called snapper, and sometimes fish tacos. Yummy. Don't let me in on the secret if you have some, because I'll eat yours too.

Windlass 5 years, 11 months ago

It's only a third-rate online forum, autie. Can't go takin' things personal around here.

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

Maybe I fudged a bit on the question, Windlass. My answer has more to do with what I like and not so much what kind I eat most. But walleye is pretty tall eating..better than crappie. The more correct answer for me would be channel catfish..I sure catch a heck of lot more of them than walleye. but hey, it doesn't matter when you use lots of butter/dill/any mushroom..garlic instead of shallots...not like my local market has shallots everyday.

its_getting_warmer 5 years, 11 months ago

Yet another example of Cools lack of logic. And his hypocrisy.His websites indicate "catfish" as being "eco-OK." Catfish are identified as being low risk for mercury. Yet he eschews "farm raised fish" I doubt he really knows how little fish are NOT farm raised. And like the term "organic" the term "farm raised" is an interesting term to attempt to define.Cool continually criticizes SW Kansas farming and water use, and now he diss's this high-value and still risky alternative crop. Kansas farmers have experimented with Catfish and Tilapia farming, in SW Kansas too.But Cool wants "non-farmed" fish. From the coasts? What is the carbon-dioxide footprint on the airplane trips these fish take to get to Kansas, compared to locally grown agriculture. Pretty damned elitist, and non-CO2 sensitive.Cool professes himself as a promoter of organic, locally grown food. But he is a hypocrite, and food bigot, and energy idiot. Eat some SW Kansas catfish Cool. Help your neighbors for once. The risk of Mercury is much less in SW Kansas fish than it is around your cesspool of coalplants in Lawrence and NE Kansas.

Windlass 5 years, 11 months ago

Walleye sauted in butter with shallots/dill/shiitakes-----------------------------------------------------------------This has to be nice. I don't know anyone who works who can afford to eat like this.

Windlass 5 years, 11 months ago

This is why I miss Paradise Cafe. It was the only place in Kansas with any decent fish on the menu. All we can get now is tilapia, salmon, tuna, catfish, etc.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The Stupids rode into town 'bout one year ago, and decided to kill off the fine city of Lawrence, Kansas. More and more like a ghost town all the time. But we'll have us a nice new Wal Mart that comes complete with slave labor, cheap labor, the welfare state, and crap commie-made products at those fantastically slashed prices...providing they can pull their labor force out from under the rocks over there.

Windlass 5 years, 11 months ago

I would have liked to have eaten on Captain Nemo's boat, but it was swallowed in very puckish water.

road_Runner 5 years, 11 months ago

Salmon is the choice for me....except when it's in a can. Then the stuff scares me.

madam_hillarys_pantsuits 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, since most fish in the sea is now tainted with mercury....to some degree or another......I really don't eat that much fish any more!But I'd have to say that I like (or used to like) all kinds of fish.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

I would rather be "Fisked" tan 2 eat Lutefisk!

hilary 5 years, 11 months ago

reticent....do I sense a Norwegian background?Lutefisk...oh, so nasty!

Windlass 5 years, 11 months ago

Fish oil, 2000 mg. each and every day.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

What was the name of the Eatery that is now occupied by the gun n knife club called Brothers...it was the best place to eat Larrville has ever had...thats right....Tin Pan Alley! @ damn bad we had 2 lose this great place 2 eat and ended up with crappy gun totin ,people punchin bar across the street from the courthouse....Now this was a great place to eat...I imagine the chefs their must have moved on to great things...(I hope) Wish I knew where the cooks went 2...they always changed things up and kept you curious about what was on the menu next...Paradise didnt have Sh%t on Tin Pan alley! Best Larryville has ever had!

oldvet 5 years, 11 months ago

I practice catch and release...I catch catfish and release them into hot boiling oil... :-)

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh they had to mention the Paradise Cafe. they had an orange roughy that was OUT OF SIGHT good!!

dajudge 5 years, 11 months ago

I prefer canned Kipper Snacks. They're way high in omega-3's. Break them up on a bed of salad green's, or just eat with some cheese and crackers. If I go out, Halibut. Or whatever kind they use when I order fish tacos at Panzon's or Tortas Jaliscos. And then again, it's hard to beat fried catfish, or some red snapper in bouillabase or Court bouillon. I think I'll open a can of sardines for lunch.

BABBOY 5 years, 11 months ago

All fish is very good when on any coast line or island where it is fresh and abundent.Here, in my home state of Kansas, I will eat Salmon (even though it is from a fish farm), but in the midwest it is Mexican food or local barbeque ribs, ribeyes, and porterhouses!! Bring the beef!!!

Drew_Carey 5 years, 11 months ago

1000 pts to countrygirl for getting spoonbill on an OTS.50 pts to RETICENT_IRREVERENT for Lutefisk, but did Multidisciplinary infer that?50 pts to trinity for using nom nom nom without taking the first bite (om).50 pts to Multidisciplinary for perverting my childhood fishtank memories.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

MD, the common lemur will sell his soul for a mess of carp.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Grilled neons.But they keep falling through to the coals, and it's really hard to get them to swallow the skewers.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Is very good with Whip Cream !

Newcomb 5 years, 11 months ago

Fresh catfish. Without question, there's nothing better than catching your own dinner.

cool 5 years, 11 months ago

justfornow - that's one of my faves !i like to rinse snapper very good and then let it sit in milk for a whilepour off the milk before cooking.....there are lots of variations of 'snapper vera cruz' but here is one -only i prefer conventional oven N O T microwave.http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/red-snapper-vera-cruz-recipe.htm

cool 5 years, 11 months ago

i used to eat more salmon but now totally avoid farm raised fish products.http://www.organicconsumers.org/Toxic/safe-fish.cfm

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

and R_I runs away with the lutefisk award!

guesswho 5 years, 11 months ago

not the green ones - they are not ripe

trinity 5 years, 11 months ago

nom nom nom.tuna only please-oh yes and whatever mrs paul puts in her fishsticks is pretty yummy. forget the fisher boy, i heard he does unmentionable things to his sticks.

schula 5 years, 11 months ago

OldEnuf: I loved to get the blackened snapper at Paradise. I sure miss that place.Oh, and I guess my favorite fish is salmon or tuna.

countrygirl 5 years, 11 months ago

We had some spoonbill over the week-end that was awesome!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 11 months ago

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

Walleye sauted in butter with shallots/dill/shiitakes

sunflower_sue 5 years, 11 months ago

taliapia mostly, but when I can afford it, I like a perfectly cooked tuna steak...lovely pink in the middle without being raw. And if it's cooked 'til it's dead dry, forget it! Just chop the thing up for tuna salad.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

What kind of fish do Lemurs like snap?

jonas 5 years, 11 months ago

Raw. Seriously, I'll try most types, but cooking it ruins for me.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm wondering who's going to be first to say the "L" fish.

blue73harley 5 years, 11 months ago

Long John Silvers mystery fish.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 11 months ago

Mahi mahi (dolphin fish) is one of my favs, but because of its availability, I eat a lot of salmon. When I lived on the east coast, I ate a lot of fluke and bluefish.

cds 5 years, 11 months ago

Alderwood smoked salmon Mmmm Mmm!

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

Cooked.Seriously, I'll eat lots of different types of fish, but my favorite is salmon.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Feeder goldfish. Jagged little pills.