Previous   Next

What type of fish do you eat most?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 20, 2008

Browse the archives

“I guess salmon. I think it’s because it’s more readily available at restaurants and it’s pretty good for you.”

“I typically don’t eat fish. I probably eat more whitefish than anything else because that’s what they put in fish sticks.”

“Tilapia. It tastes really good. I always get it when they serve it up on campus.”

“Trout. I assume that it’s more fresh because it can be caught locally and has less distance to travel. And I prefer its flavor to most other fish.”

Comments

road_Runner 6 years, 6 months ago

Salmon is the choice for me....except when it's in a can. Then the stuff scares me.

trinity 6 years, 6 months ago

nom nom nom.tuna only please-oh yes and whatever mrs paul puts in her fishsticks is pretty yummy. forget the fisher boy, i heard he does unmentionable things to his sticks.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 6 months ago

taliapia mostly, but when I can afford it, I like a perfectly cooked tuna steak...lovely pink in the middle without being raw. And if it's cooked 'til it's dead dry, forget it! Just chop the thing up for tuna salad.

schula 6 years, 6 months ago

OldEnuf: I loved to get the blackened snapper at Paradise. I sure miss that place.Oh, and I guess my favorite fish is salmon or tuna.

countrygirl 6 years, 6 months ago

We had some spoonbill over the week-end that was awesome!

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

Raw. Seriously, I'll try most types, but cooking it ruins for me.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 6 months ago

This is why I miss Paradise Cafe. It was the only place in Kansas with any decent fish on the menu. All we can get now is tilapia, salmon, tuna, catfish, etc.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 6 months ago

MD, the common lemur will sell his soul for a mess of carp.

hilary 6 years, 6 months ago

reticent....do I sense a Norwegian background?Lutefisk...oh, so nasty!

riverdrifter 6 years, 6 months ago

Brook trout and walleye. Smoked ciscoes. Time for a quick run up north, come to think of it.

oldvet 6 years, 6 months ago

I practice catch and release...I catch catfish and release them into hot boiling oil... :-)

dajudge 6 years, 6 months ago

I prefer canned Kipper Snacks. They're way high in omega-3's. Break them up on a bed of salad green's, or just eat with some cheese and crackers. If I go out, Halibut. Or whatever kind they use when I order fish tacos at Panzon's or Tortas Jaliscos. And then again, it's hard to beat fried catfish, or some red snapper in bouillabase or Court bouillon. I think I'll open a can of sardines for lunch.

Crossfire 6 years, 6 months ago

Big ol' Blue Cats from the bottom of the Mighty Kaw.I need the herbicides and heavy metals to maintain my carcinogen levels.Yummy mercury and 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid.

guesswho 6 years, 6 months ago

not the green ones - they are not ripe

madam_hillarys_pantsuits 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, since most fish in the sea is now tainted with mercury....to some degree or another......I really don't eat that much fish any more!But I'd have to say that I like (or used to like) all kinds of fish.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 6 years, 6 months ago

Pink_Sock (Anonymous) says: Out here in California hot chicks are still called "snapper".*************Pink_Sock? What does pink sock mean?

mom_of_three 6 years, 6 months ago

Salmon. Tried some catfish a few months back, which I haven't had since I was a kid, and couldn't eat it. it tasted like dirty river water. yuk

dirkleisure 6 years, 6 months ago

The ones I find in a barrel. Buckshot removed, naturally.

Newcomb 6 years, 6 months ago

Fresh catfish. Without question, there's nothing better than catching your own dinner.

Sagecasey 6 years, 6 months ago

Orange Roughy and freshly caught Crappie

Drew_Carey 6 years, 6 months ago

1000 pts to countrygirl for getting spoonbill on an OTS.50 pts to RETICENT_IRREVERENT for Lutefisk, but did Multidisciplinary infer that?50 pts to trinity for using nom nom nom without taking the first bite (om).50 pts to Multidisciplinary for perverting my childhood fishtank memories.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, it's something that sometimes tastes and smells like fish, but is better when it doesn't most of the time. I guess it depends on how well you clean them! Typically they are a pinkish meat variety. There are lots of different names for it. Sometimes called snapper, and sometimes fish tacos. Yummy. Don't let me in on the secret if you have some, because I'll eat yours too.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 6 months ago

Cooked.Seriously, I'll eat lots of different types of fish, but my favorite is salmon.

cds 6 years, 6 months ago

Alderwood smoked salmon Mmmm Mmm!

beccadog 6 years, 6 months ago

Wild salmon is the only animal source I eat. Otherwise, I try to eat vegetarian because the Bush Administration has eliminated most controls and has allowed the food to become more contaminated. I'm very particular which foods I consume.

Joe Hyde 6 years, 6 months ago

How careless of me to miss this one. Sorry.My favorite? Panfish. The little sweethearts are dropped into an ice chest immediately upon being unhooked. They are taken home, placed on a tail-clamp fillet board and scaled, then each side is carefully filleted resulting in two boneless pieces of meat that are placed immediately in ice water. Once all the fish are cleaned these fillets are quick-rinsed, placed in a zip-loc bag and concentrated lemon juice is poured in. The air is squeezed out of the bag, the bag zipped closed then placed in the freezer compartment. (Unless fried immediately.)To cook, place the thawed, drained fillets in a zip-loc bag containing Louisiana New Orleans style fish fry (the kind with lemon added). Shake the bag to coat fillets. Fry in vegetable, peanut, canola or olive oil.The greatest destroyer of fish flavor is heat -- heat absorbed in the field. Too many fishermen will let their catch lie in the sun or otherwise get warm; the fish's flesh has spoiled by the time it arrives home and thus will never taste good. Properly protecting panfish (bluegill, crappie, red ears, green sunfish, etc.) takes planning, and cleaning small-bodied panfish involves more work than with larger fish. But the result is a platter of fish stick-sized fillets that have no bones and outstanding flavor.They are worth the trouble.