Previous   Next

Would you want to attend a festival of street performers in downtown Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think it would be a lot of fun. I’m a little worried about the noise because I work downtown. But as long as it’s well-organized, I think it sounds like a good idea.”

“That doesn’t really sound like something I’d be interested in. I usually don’t spend any time listening to them while I’m downtown.”

“Yeah, that sounds pretty cool. I think the street performers add a lot to the atmosphere down here visually speaking, and if they’re putting out some cool sounds, that’s even better.”

“I think it’s a cool idea and I would intend to attend, but I’m not sure if I would actually make it.”

Comments

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Whatever happened to Movie night at South Park?..My youngin enjoyed going to the park to watch movies...

Dixie Jones 5 years, 11 months ago

ok i accidently went down town last night to dine with some friends at a establishment ...... WTH was that noise they so called music??? that was terrible sounded like whales in heat..... and ppl paid to see this ??? the dude at the parking garage was EXTREMILY rude asked us for our ticket to the concert , we said were not going to a concert and he goes well WHERE DO YOU THINK YOUR GOING THEN... we said um out to EAT he got all huffy and said ok FINE.... quiet funny ... as were all the ppl on mass.... kinda like a freak show on parade... my personal favorite was the jugglers.... i hope all went well and no problems happened im sure it was fun for the ppl who enjoy that kind of....of..ummm..music?

1wetwilly 5 years, 11 months ago

I would never attend since it might benefit the cry-baby, whining, subsidized merchants in downtown Lawrence. However, I would travel and pay top dollar to attend it at Arrowhead Stadium.

sdinges 5 years, 11 months ago

When I lived in Ottawa, Ontario they had an annual Busker Fest - it was pretty cool, definitely worth going to. FYI - the professional buskers who were attracted to the event weren't filthy homeless beggars, but usually talented performers with entertaining and often funny acts. Mostly, when you spoke to them it turned out they did it part time in addition to their actual job - although some were good enough to do it full time.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Not for another ten years it won't.They have to first have a study to see if it's a conflict of interest, and then require roundabouts, cause we all know they wouldn't want fast moving traffic when they might be on stilts.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Damn ...I just got a beer bong type rush off cools last comment..I was sippin on a corona by the pool just as I got to the post...excuse me while I wash the beer off my laptop and wipe the beer off my nose n chin!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

HA HA HA...excellent COOL!

cool 5 years, 11 months ago

does the event include the City Commissioners ?

ralphralph 5 years, 11 months ago

"well-organized" street performers?Good grief!Sorta takes the magic away when you plan your spontaneity.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Juggling has become the great american passtime....the economic situation is so bad ..the whole world is juggling their finances.....Rob Peter 2 pay Paul.....and how come Paul gets paid and Peter is left holdin his Balls?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Of course, there may be jugglers!In my humble opinion, jugglers should receive the highest pay level.I mean, seriously. Right up there with brain and ortho surgeons.Chris Blisshttp://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4776181634656145640and then, the man who dissed Chris.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUXaY...

Sagecasey 5 years, 11 months ago

Snap,TY, I couldn't remember the rest of it. Thanks for the completion.

jonas 5 years, 11 months ago

Uh oh, smells like a resurgence of the Ubermime cycle.

Ami 5 years, 11 months ago

Why doesn't the city take adavnatage of the farmers market and like many other cities on the US, offer shows and food from the local resturants. So that it becomes all city, families event. (in many places they use the middle of the week afternoon farmers market). So there is a nice get-together of the community which the local businesses and talents can benefit.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

(silent sniffle sniffle)Blue doesn't like me..I used to be a mime...(silent sniffle)Pulls tisssue from imaginary box, wipes tears,(worries about messing white face)fakes a blow.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Homeless Dave is the only consistant local music talent on the street today....He will actually buy a set of new strings 4 his guitar before buyin a bottle..if ya know who Im talkinbout ..when ya see him playin(when he`s not in jail 4 indecent exposure playin his bonaphone,or the skinflute) then ask him 2 play the song he wrote 4 his homeless girlfriend(she died a few years ago under the Bridge)..it is an incredible and moving tribute 2 his lost love! He is actually 2 talented 2 be homeless..but tragedy has a way of keepin people like Dave from getting past the past in the situation he is in....Makes me sad cuz he truly has a good heart.....and much talent...Talent can be a curse...look at the prisons today...full of very talented artist of all kinds ...especially those that create the visual arts!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

"Speaking of the French, I have an authentic French WWII rifle for sale, never used, brand new, if you are interested."Only dropped once, with original white flag tied to barrel?

sunflower_sue 5 years, 11 months ago

BigPrune has the right of it! Think there is a homeless problem now??? Can't wait to smell some unbathed fire-dancers...they're hot!

Pywacket 5 years, 11 months ago

Blue73harley~ Nothing like combining two of the world's creepiest concepts into one big wad of terrifying smarminess. Thanks a lot! Now I will have to wash down my hydrocodone with lots of margaritas to even get to sleep tonight. And who knows what kind of Miming Mother of Christ nightmares I'll have?! ;-)

Sagecasey 5 years, 11 months ago

R_I and Blue,Speaking of the French, I have an authentic French WWII rifle for sale, never used, brand new, if you are interested.

Baille 5 years, 11 months ago

Absolutely. This will be fun. Maybe the KU juggling club will co-sponsor.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

The performers I have seen in big city life actually make a very good living...more than joe suitntie! Some of the mediocre ones are a better class of homeless and actually bathe and live in a tent ..instead of sleepin on the larryville sidewalks cuddled up to the Boonesfarm or Mad Dog!

blue73harley 5 years, 11 months ago

R_I - I guess it would have been more accurate to say the French made it famous. Damn that Marcel!Speaking of something freakish (and another reason to avoid organized religion)...http://www.inkspirations.org/site/906529/page/348587

jonas 5 years, 11 months ago

multiD: My Japanese is pretty rusty, but if you link the site I can at least tell you if it is or is not Japanese, and maybe give you a clue on what they're trying to say. Can't promise anything, though.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

I guess only Multi...must have seen the same performers as I did in San Fran....they had a guy that was silver from head to toe and his movements were perfect Robotics...it was one of many performers that captured my kids attention! These caliber of street performers are way outta the local talents league...they can actually perform as where the local street musicians are simply trying to pay for the next bottle of booze with a broken guitar...and it is how they panhandle legally!

BigPrune 5 years, 11 months ago

Why not call it a "Homeless Convention," because this is exactly what it will be. I wonder if this will change our ranking and make Lawrence more desirable for the homeless to inhabit? Great idea.

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 11 months ago

I think I will get out there with my samishen and hope for a great new year. I like to play it Jimi Hendrix style with too much feedback. Lol. OMFG. SOL. huh?Anyone think that it would be good to do sidewalk drawings??We could clutter the place up so much that you could hardly walk down there.Oh and while we are at language lessons. MFP and MSF. Have a nice day. I think I will go draw something non-demoninationally. : )

conservativepunker 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh crap! Jesus no! That's all Larry needs...one for freakin' Hippie thing......oooooooh! How whimsical!!! Rolling Eyes

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 11 months ago

Blue,Are you sure the mummers originated in France? I thought it was a Greek thingy, like take-out food and fried cheese.(Let's all shout opa!)But I too detest all things French, especially those really thin pancakes.

blue73harley 5 years, 11 months ago

R_I - neither. Rather than mimes being entertaining, I think they are pathetic and annoying. Must be because they originated in France?http://gspence1173.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/plotting-mime.jpg

seriouscat 5 years, 11 months ago

To the naysayers...professional "buskers" are in an entirely different league than the typical Lawrence street performer. Give it a chance, and if it's as bad as you have already assumed, then don't throw any money in the hat. However, if you laugh, gasp, or otherwise find yourselves entranced or entertained, please tip generously so that these talented folks will look forward to returning to Lawrence for years to come. I know I will.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 11 months ago

Busker Fest would only work if the closed Mass St. to vehicle traffic, put benches and large concrete raised planters in the middle of the street. Oh, and you could rename Lawrence... Boulder East. Thats sorta, kinda catchy.Boulder East.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 11 months ago

Blue,One of those "one time in college" thingys? Or traumatic childhood?

Pywacket 5 years, 11 months ago

No. God, no. I can think of a lot better ways to spend my time than validating the pathetic dreams of narcissistic unemployed garage musicians whose "street acts" consist of strumming 3 chords and warbling an earnest ballad in a nasal voice while entertaining the illusion that they will be "discovered" by a hip agent who just happens to be slumming in NE Kansas and looking for the next hot ticket. As long as you "follow your dream," you are justified in shunning gainful employment, while inflicting your grunts and squeals on hapless passersby, right?The most pretentious are usually the flutists (or flautists, if you will). I just want to smack them over the head with their instrument and say, "No, no!!! You are NOT Ian Anderson! Don't even go there!"Okay... a lot of that is tongue-in-cheek, but I'll still pass. Once every 10 years or so, I might hear one who is actually good--who causes me to stop and listen for awhile and wonder whether he's there to fulfill a lost bet, while on break between gigs with his real job--as first chair violinist with the KC Symphony Orchestra.

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

Sigmund hit it. I think it happens everyday now. Characters welcome.

blue73harley 5 years, 11 months ago

As long as it doesn't include mimes it is okay with me.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 11 months ago

Excellent idea. Let's get on with it. But don't forget to advertise the entire USA.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

My favorite is the hippie chick belly dancing while some homeless guy pounds on a cardboard box at Eighth and Mass. Oh wait, they haven't started yet?.

Kookamooka 5 years, 11 months ago

Anyone see Hot Fuzz? Buskers and jugglers and mimes! Oh MY!

Dixie Jones 5 years, 11 months ago

wow my early morning typing skills lack huh.....lol Wasn't this a ots question from a year ago??? seems like i remember it....

Dixie Jones 5 years, 11 months ago

wasnt this a question form a yr ago ?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

LOL. Ragingbear (Anonymous) says: Seriously: it's not a clown car. (on the Ark woman has preg with 18th)He got that from a poster I found on a Japanese website! Wonder where it originated?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Like, what does 15/f/Seattle..wanna cyber? mean. I get part of it LOL.Oh no..I think I just figured it out. Picture was an old man.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

jonas..is it you that knows Japanese? I keep finding these websites that need translations for what I think is Japanese+ their version of online speak.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

I think this is great. I loved the performers in San Franciso and Denver.I may have to warm up the old hammered dulcimer and get down there myself.I think we need sidewalk food vendors.Mr. Frank Day! Come out, come out, where ever you are!