Previous   Next

Would you want to attend a festival of street performers in downtown Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think it would be a lot of fun. I’m a little worried about the noise because I work downtown. But as long as it’s well-organized, I think it sounds like a good idea.”

“That doesn’t really sound like something I’d be interested in. I usually don’t spend any time listening to them while I’m downtown.”

“Yeah, that sounds pretty cool. I think the street performers add a lot to the atmosphere down here visually speaking, and if they’re putting out some cool sounds, that’s even better.”

“I think it’s a cool idea and I would intend to attend, but I’m not sure if I would actually make it.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

"Speaking of the French, I have an authentic French WWII rifle for sale, never used, brand new, if you are interested."Only dropped once, with original white flag tied to barrel?

seriouscat 6 years, 7 months ago

To the naysayers...professional "buskers" are in an entirely different league than the typical Lawrence street performer. Give it a chance, and if it's as bad as you have already assumed, then don't throw any money in the hat. However, if you laugh, gasp, or otherwise find yourselves entranced or entertained, please tip generously so that these talented folks will look forward to returning to Lawrence for years to come. I know I will.

BigPrune 6 years, 7 months ago

Why not call it a "Homeless Convention," because this is exactly what it will be. I wonder if this will change our ranking and make Lawrence more desirable for the homeless to inhabit? Great idea.

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

multiD: My Japanese is pretty rusty, but if you link the site I can at least tell you if it is or is not Japanese, and maybe give you a clue on what they're trying to say. Can't promise anything, though.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 7 months ago

wow my early morning typing skills lack huh.....lol Wasn't this a ots question from a year ago??? seems like i remember it....

Sigmund 6 years, 7 months ago

My favorite is the hippie chick belly dancing while some homeless guy pounds on a cardboard box at Eighth and Mass. Oh wait, they haven't started yet?.

ralphralph 6 years, 7 months ago

"well-organized" street performers?Good grief!Sorta takes the magic away when you plan your spontaneity.

Kookamooka 6 years, 7 months ago

Anyone see Hot Fuzz? Buskers and jugglers and mimes! Oh MY!

1wetwilly 6 years, 7 months ago

I would never attend since it might benefit the cry-baby, whining, subsidized merchants in downtown Lawrence. However, I would travel and pay top dollar to attend it at Arrowhead Stadium.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 7 months ago

Excellent idea. Let's get on with it. But don't forget to advertise the entire USA.

sdinges 6 years, 7 months ago

When I lived in Ottawa, Ontario they had an annual Busker Fest - it was pretty cool, definitely worth going to. FYI - the professional buskers who were attracted to the event weren't filthy homeless beggars, but usually talented performers with entertaining and often funny acts. Mostly, when you spoke to them it turned out they did it part time in addition to their actual job - although some were good enough to do it full time.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 7 months ago

ok i accidently went down town last night to dine with some friends at a establishment ...... WTH was that noise they so called music??? that was terrible sounded like whales in heat..... and ppl paid to see this ??? the dude at the parking garage was EXTREMILY rude asked us for our ticket to the concert , we said were not going to a concert and he goes well WHERE DO YOU THINK YOUR GOING THEN... we said um out to EAT he got all huffy and said ok FINE.... quiet funny ... as were all the ppl on mass.... kinda like a freak show on parade... my personal favorite was the jugglers.... i hope all went well and no problems happened im sure it was fun for the ppl who enjoy that kind of....of..ummm..music?

Sagecasey 6 years, 7 months ago

R_I and Blue,Speaking of the French, I have an authentic French WWII rifle for sale, never used, brand new, if you are interested.

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

Uh oh, smells like a resurgence of the Ubermime cycle.

Sagecasey 6 years, 7 months ago

Snap,TY, I couldn't remember the rest of it. Thanks for the completion.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

BigPrune has the right of it! Think there is a homeless problem now??? Can't wait to smell some unbathed fire-dancers...they're hot!

Gail Grant 6 years, 7 months ago

Why doesn't the city take adavnatage of the farmers market and like many other cities on the US, offer shows and food from the local resturants. So that it becomes all city, families event. (in many places they use the middle of the week afternoon farmers market). So there is a nice get-together of the community which the local businesses and talents can benefit.

conservativepunker 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh crap! Jesus no! That's all Larry needs...one for freakin' Hippie thing......oooooooh! How whimsical!!! Rolling Eyes

Baille 6 years, 7 months ago

Absolutely. This will be fun. Maybe the KU juggling club will co-sponsor.