Previous   Next

Would you like to take a walking tour of downtown Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 4, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yeah, that would be interesting. I like history, and I know this is a very historic town. All I know is where all the good restaurants are, but I’d like to know more about the architecture and history of the buildings.”

“No. That seems kind of boring to me. I think I’ve lived here too long for it to be very interesting.”

“No, not really. I think people should discover for themselves what there is to learn around downtown.”

“Yes. I went to grad school here, and I know there is a lot of historical information that I never had time to learn about. And I think it would be great for the parents of students to learn about it.”

Comments

Pywacket 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh, boy--it's starting to look like rain! I want a tour of those swim-up bars. MD, you with me?

TopJayhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Multidisciplinary.. From what I've seen, a "good place to go" is wherever there is a planter on Mass. st.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

How about a driving tour of fast places you can pull under in a hail storm?Or good places to go when nothing is open and you have to "go" after a night at the bars?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Rainy season isn't over yet, there may be hope Py.

Pywacket 5 years, 11 months ago

Offer me a swimming tour and I'm there!

Godot 5 years, 11 months ago

An historic tour of downtown would be an exercise in ADD. The tour guides will need hour-by-hour updates on their Blackberries to keep up with the closures and new openings of businesses.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

I walk downtown often. walking tour would be nice. BR above is correct, with the smoking ban, now walking around downtown is rather irritating because of the clouds of smoke you have to negotiate. please, can't we quit forcing smokers outside, so that us nonsmokers can avoid the smoke?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

bcman..or in one of the Bagnell Dam ducks!I wish, every business would at least have a vertical chain of framed pictures on one side of their front window. Pictures of the inside, of previous stores. Like, Mallott Hardware, Guenther's Jewelry, Sears downtown, Strawberry Fields, Drake's Bakery the counter and staff, Raney's same plus the front entrance, Woolworths, Ben Franklin's, John's Novelty counter, so many memories to pass along.Scratch and sniff Town Crier tobacco shop.Cherry tobacco.I once dated a guy who worked there. He was a quiet guy. I really don't know if I liked him for who he might be, or whether I just really loved his soft corduroy shirts that smelled like work.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

prospector,you made me burst out laughing!

thebcman 5 years, 11 months ago

Walking's okay, but I'd rather take a tour of downtown Lawrence in the big Oscar Meyer Weenie-Mobile.

BrianR 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't walk downtown anymore because there are people outside smoking. They should be smoking in the bars they came out of.

jnr2nflorida 5 years, 11 months ago

I wish I could, I was raised in Lawrence. I moved away in 1969, I imagine there has been many changes since I left.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm sorry but is the person who came up with this OTS out of his/her bleedin' mind?

prospector 5 years, 11 months ago

Does stumbling out of the Free State Brewery count?

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Thats ..Chief ..James Bigheart..Osage Indian Tribe...Osage county oklahoma ! He stuck it 2 the man and made his people rich enough 2 lite their peace pipes with 100 dollar bills and some had a cadillac to drive for every day of the week..7 different colors...Steph & jonas..lets try not 2 make negative posts bout me today 2 make yourselves feel supierior 2 make up 4 your feelings of being inadaquate! But if you feel you have 2 then by all means do so cuz I have no problem with helpin you stroke yer egos...Dont be jealous joanie cuz steph is scared of my big 10 inch..but thanks steph 4 letting larrytown knowbout my 3rd leg! you werent complaininbout it when you took me home last month!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

I made comments bout a very interesting historic event on yesterdays "on the street" For any of you out there interested in doing a paper 4 yer school work I will mention it again in brief form! Look up Osage indians..Chief James Bigheart ..he secured the mineral rights 4 his people before oil was of any signifigance...see the story by contacting okla. history..A town was named after him..but was renamed after A oil man named Barnsdall..brought the oil money 2 the area! You will have a hard time pulling up my comments on the subject cuz LJW pulls my posts after a few minutes cuz I am 2 honest 4 my 1st amendment rights 2 be posted on here! He made his people rich before casinos came into the picture...If you are a student and looking 4 a subject 2 writebout..I hope you jot this down before it disappears! Chief James Bigheart!