Previous   Next

What was the worst storm you have ever experienced?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 3, 2008

Browse the archives

“There was one a couple of years ago in Topeka that knocked a highway patrol tower into an apartment complex. There where limbs and trees everywhere, so it was really hard to get around. I saw one tree that fell on someone’s truck.”

“Probably when I was a freshman here. My dorm got hit by the microburst, and the bleachers at the soccer field nearby were all twisted up and it damaged the roof on our cafeteria.”

“Thursday’s, for me. I’m a California guy and the weather there never changes. The ground just shakes. Scared doesn’t cover it; I was terrified.”

“When I was 6 or 7, I was on my way to Manhattan and we got caught in a big one. Once we stopped the car to run inside, my dad had to carry my sister and I because the winds were too strong for us to walk on our own.”

Comments

Dixie Jones 6 years, 7 months ago

the one of 65 or 66 that hit topeka , it also hit my house , killed my neighbor man and left me and my brother a life time of night mares and pure panic when it storms

ms_canada 6 years, 7 months ago

I guess the worst that I can think of was the tornado of July 30, 1981. A whole mobile home park nearly totalled and 28 people died. My son in law's work place just literally blew away from all around him. He was a large vehicle mechanic and hugging a very large truck saved him from blowing away with the building. His friend in the office was killed when the coke dispenser landed on top of him.

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

There was this one, back in the 5o's I think. Terrible! Lightning hit the clocktower, and it never has worked since. And some poor sap's tires must have caught on fire, cuz there were flamin tracks leading away from the clocktower, too.

skinnee11 6 years, 7 months ago

Topeka, Nov 16th, 1988. This tornado very late in the year destroyed part of Topeka West HS's roof, demolished several houses within two blocks of the house I grew up in, uprooted trees that were easily 100+ years old and ripped up pavement. The blackest sky I've ever seen. The loudest wind I've ever heard. Quite possibly the single experience that has made me love tornadoes. When the sirens go off, I go outside. Dumb, I know. I just can't help myself.

Kathy Getto 6 years, 7 months ago

June 8, 1966 - TopekaJune 8, 1975 - Emporia

George_Braziller 6 years, 7 months ago

I'd say a tree crashing into my house during the "microburst" and having half a sheet of sheetrock smack me in the head.

1wetwilly 6 years, 7 months ago

It was a dark and stormy night, suddenly from out of nowhere, ominous on the horizon with the sound of fear, the look of terror, the smell of death, inflicting pain and suffering on the untold masses....(dumb a** boss just walked in, gotta go)

buffalo_star 6 years, 7 months ago

Lawrence 1981 at Godfather's Pizza with my family then drove south on Louisiana street only to run right into the twister as it passed the wetlands. Heart in my throat scared!

KsTwister 6 years, 7 months ago

The one that took the Oskaloosa brick Courthouse in the city square, the three that touched down in Topeka and the one through west Lawrence a few years ago. This was just a few, hence the name.

ms_canada 6 years, 7 months ago

Speaking of Mexican food as we were on Wed. Someone mentioned that delish dish from Spain by name of Javier Bardem. Watched "Love In The Time Of Cholera" last night and loved it. Javier Bardem was magnificent. This movie is a true presentation of the wonderful book by Colombian Gabriel Garcia Marquez. A truly inspired author. His book One Hundred Years Of Solitude is a classic. If you can find this movie, I highly recommend it. I want to watch it again tonight. I don't often feel like that. Mind you, there are some fairly erotic scenes to be aware of. don't watch it with the kids.

hornhunter 6 years, 7 months ago

Well in must have been this 100,000 year or so thing, gobal warming thing.NOT!

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

"..I love it when I rattle the cages of the small minded!"That rattling is your undersized brain hitting the inside of your skull.

sdinges 6 years, 7 months ago

Back in the 90s, I was living in Ottawa Ontario and we had a ruthless ice storm. Schools were shut down for a couple of weeks (it's pretty uncommon for Ottawa schools to close for even a day due to Winter weather), people lost power for weeks in some areas. I remember trying to walk down the street and it was like walking on a ice-rink, except tree branches laden with ice kept crashing to the ground. I never regretted leaving my home so much in my entire life! I think they ended up making a movie about it - it hit Northern U.S., Quebec and our part of Ontario.

chemegirlie 6 years, 7 months ago

Nice jonas!Although I have lived in Kansas all my life, I have never seen a tornado or even a funnel cloud in person. Thursday's storm was about the worst I have seen.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Storm Davis. Worst move by the Royals until they signed Juan Gonzales.

Dale Stringer 6 years, 7 months ago

Jun 2000 - Minot AFB, ND. The tornado missed the building I was taking cover in by two blocks. You could feel the feel the brick walls bow. And these walls ran down the center of the building.

Buggie7 6 years, 7 months ago

In the 80's I did not want to move to the east coast due to hurricanes. My brother says come on we never have hurricanes in the area I live and you will love it here. So I move. Three days after getting there I am asking my brother "ummm why are they putting tape on the windows all down the neighborhood?" Since I had never seen that before and he says "ummmm Hurricane?" I was so mad at him arghhhhh. quite the storm that Hugo was.I was also in Gibsons when the tornado hit the trailer park and kmart in the early 80's. SKEERY