Previous   Next

What was the worst storm you have ever experienced?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 3, 2008

Browse the archives

“There was one a couple of years ago in Topeka that knocked a highway patrol tower into an apartment complex. There where limbs and trees everywhere, so it was really hard to get around. I saw one tree that fell on someone’s truck.”

“Probably when I was a freshman here. My dorm got hit by the microburst, and the bleachers at the soccer field nearby were all twisted up and it damaged the roof on our cafeteria.”

“Thursday’s, for me. I’m a California guy and the weather there never changes. The ground just shakes. Scared doesn’t cover it; I was terrified.”

“When I was 6 or 7, I was on my way to Manhattan and we got caught in a big one. Once we stopped the car to run inside, my dad had to carry my sister and I because the winds were too strong for us to walk on our own.”

Comments

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

In the 80's I did not want to move to the east coast due to hurricanes. My brother says come on we never have hurricanes in the area I live and you will love it here. So I move. Three days after getting there I am asking my brother "ummm why are they putting tape on the windows all down the neighborhood?" Since I had never seen that before and he says "ummmm Hurricane?" I was so mad at him arghhhhh. quite the storm that Hugo was.I was also in Gibsons when the tornado hit the trailer park and kmart in the early 80's. SKEERY

Dale Stringer 5 years, 11 months ago

Jun 2000 - Minot AFB, ND. The tornado missed the building I was taking cover in by two blocks. You could feel the feel the brick walls bow. And these walls ran down the center of the building.

JJE007 5 years, 11 months ago

Hurricane Betsy. I slept through it.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Storm Davis. Worst move by the Royals until they signed Juan Gonzales.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Well Dogonnit...the one I posted before the last never got on! Too bad cuz I was trying 2 point out how people are phoney on here when they know their friends are listening..2 bad cuz I made some great points ...ya see I am not afraid 2 speak my mind and have no problem owning up 2 the fact that I have charactor flaws unlike you perfect people...but if you draw 1st blood ..I have no problem posting a rebutle...If I misspell anything ..you perfect smart people with huge brains feel free 2 correct me so you can feel supierior...Yes ..I admit it ..I am an angry poster and am a postaholic ..but..dogonnit people like me...at least those that have a sense of humor ..and those that arent haters...dont hate me cuz I am bold enough 2 say what is on my mind..unlike you posers! Bring it you phoney posers! jonas you must be a direct decendant of jesus himself cuz you are so perfect and walk on water...NOT!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

I admit I have faults...but I am not perfect..like walkin on water Jonas...( this may come up twice) as I tried 2 post another comment but got cut off by ljw....ah..magic of the ...POOF !

le 5 years, 11 months ago

JONAS...You may be right...you are such a scholar....are you related 2 einstien?...words bounce off me and stick to you...or is that jizm in your hair?....you see I am only 10 according 2 stepher the heffer....you see I really dont carebout yer lame comments of negativity `bout me ...I just have 2 post somthin 2 get my comments back up 4 a few minutes! Now go wash that stuff outta yer hair yer fudge packin buddy left in it before yer wife starts askin questions! You really should stop hangin out in park bathrooms Joanie....

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says: Whoops.Started too early I guess:Tres de Mayo.-------------I was going to ask how many corona's had slipped over your lips, but figured everyone could see that LOL.____George_Braziller (Anonymous) says: I'd say a tree crashing into my house during the "microburst" and having half a sheet of sheetrock smack me in the head.----------------------What is it about sheetrock that makes it want to hold on through anything? I've seen it bust in half in a 'removed roof" mishap, and with a torrential downpour from a major section of a roof being funneled onto it, it still hangs in there forever!

buffalo_star 5 years, 11 months ago

Lawrence 1981 at Godfather's Pizza with my family then drove south on Louisiana street only to run right into the twister as it passed the wetlands. Heart in my throat scared!

toe 5 years, 11 months ago

The storm to raise my property taxes.

George_Braziller 5 years, 11 months ago

hornhunter 5 years, 11 months ago

Well in must have been this 100,000 year or so thing, gobal warming thing.NOT!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 11 months ago

Whoops.Started too early I guess...Tres de Mayo.

sdinges 5 years, 11 months ago

Back in the 90s, I was living in Ottawa Ontario and we had a ruthless ice storm. Schools were shut down for a couple of weeks (it's pretty uncommon for Ottawa schools to close for even a day due to Winter weather), people lost power for weeks in some areas. I remember trying to walk down the street and it was like walking on a ice-rink, except tree branches laden with ice kept crashing to the ground. I never regretted leaving my home so much in my entire life! I think they ended up making a movie about it - it hit Northern U.S., Quebec and our part of Ontario.

chemegirlie 5 years, 11 months ago

Nice jonas!Although I have lived in Kansas all my life, I have never seen a tornado or even a funnel cloud in person. Thursday's storm was about the worst I have seen.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh yeah. 1983 Denver. Close to midnight it started snowing. The next morning at around 7, found my 280Z was buried. Only the antenna, and a speck of the roof was visible.Walked for a few miles to finally get to a bus stop that could run.Then to downtown Denver for work. Of course, by the time I got back to my car, it had been towed.

cool 5 years, 11 months ago

13 inch blizzard near Buena Vista, Colorado in less than 6 hours.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Hi again.The person offering to arrange help on here early yesterday morning, never responded to my emails. although the poster was on LJW throughout the day.Unfortunately, the online offer of "people to help", makes everyone think it's taken care of, so no one else responded.There is still a tree (base is about a foot wide, and it's tall) laying in my yard.It someone wants wood, you are welcome to come cut it.Just send me a message.

Kathy Getto 5 years, 11 months ago

June 8, 1966 - TopekaJune 8, 1975 - Emporia

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 11 months ago

¡¡¡Woo Hoo!!!¡¡¡ Tres de Cinco!!!Thanks for the reminder ms_c. â'°

ms_canada 5 years, 11 months ago

Speaking of Mexican food as we were on Wed. Someone mentioned that delish dish from Spain by name of Javier Bardem. Watched "Love In The Time Of Cholera" last night and loved it. Javier Bardem was magnificent. This movie is a true presentation of the wonderful book by Colombian Gabriel Garcia Marquez. A truly inspired author. His book One Hundred Years Of Solitude is a classic. If you can find this movie, I highly recommend it. I want to watch it again tonight. I don't often feel like that. Mind you, there are some fairly erotic scenes to be aware of. don't watch it with the kids.

skinnee11 5 years, 11 months ago

Topeka, Nov 16th, 1988. This tornado very late in the year destroyed part of Topeka West HS's roof, demolished several houses within two blocks of the house I grew up in, uprooted trees that were easily 100+ years old and ripped up pavement. The blackest sky I've ever seen. The loudest wind I've ever heard. Quite possibly the single experience that has made me love tornadoes. When the sirens go off, I go outside. Dumb, I know. I just can't help myself.

jonas 5 years, 11 months ago

"..I love it when I rattle the cages of the small minded!"That rattling is your undersized brain hitting the inside of your skull.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

P.S....thanks 4 reminding lawrence I`m 10....10 inches that is!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

I guess you think that bothers me ..stepho the heffo...think again ..I love it when I rattle the cages of the small minded! Keep takin the bait moron! But as you can see ..when I comment ..all my comments reappear..thank you 4 givin me a reason 2 pull em back up !

ms_canada 5 years, 11 months ago

I guess the worst that I can think of was the tornado of July 30, 1981. A whole mobile home park nearly totalled and 28 people died. My son in law's work place just literally blew away from all around him. He was a large vehicle mechanic and hugging a very large truck saved him from blowing away with the building. His friend in the office was killed when the coke dispenser landed on top of him.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

El Stepho...you must be new 2 posting here...I care not what you think! I am the sacrificial lamb here! Go ahead and stand up 2 the LJW and see if your voice gets on here 4 more than a few seconds ! You ever heard of the constitution....we all should have a voice! If more people on here would quit beeing sheep and unite ..then the world would be a better place! so you can crawl back in yer happy little world and continue to make no difference and post your meaningless comments!

1wetwilly 5 years, 11 months ago

It was a dark and stormy night, suddenly from out of nowhere, ominous on the horizon with the sound of fear, the look of terror, the smell of death, inflicting pain and suffering on the untold masses....(dumb a** boss just walked in, gotta go)

jonas 5 years, 11 months ago

There was this one, back in the 5o's I think. Terrible! Lightning hit the clocktower, and it never has worked since. And some poor sap's tires must have caught on fire, cuz there were flamin tracks leading away from the clocktower, too.

Dixie Jones 5 years, 11 months ago

the one of 65 or 66 that hit topeka , it also hit my house , killed my neighbor man and left me and my brother a life time of night mares and pure panic when it storms

TheEleventhStephanie 5 years, 11 months ago

le, what are you, about 10 years old?

le 5 years, 11 months ago

No wonder you don`t like me ...under paid o keeper of the posts..you have 2 actually work when I am on the keyboard...Do they pay you enough 2 be happy in yer otherwise lazy ,easy job .thats pays you barely enough 2 survive so you can keep this job monitering my post? I know you like yer job more when you can kick back and not have 2 chase me all over the post sections .....so sorry I actually have 2 make you work 2 earn yer pay!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 11 months ago

I have tried to forget it, but it never will be less than a fog in my memory. I believe it was in the early 90's, maybe somewhere betwixt "The Perfect Storm" in '91, and "The Storm Of The Century" in '93. Even though I can not pinpoint its exact time, it will always remain etched in time.I still not sure what I did, what I said, how I responded, how I reacted. I do know it was the largest, longest storm I have experienced. It started out slow with gusts, then raged on mercilessly with no abandon. There were periods where it was relatively calm as if I was in the eye of a hurricame, but the respite was shortlived and gave me a false sense of security. It was turbulence as I had never seen. And it came to pass, a storm such as I wish never again to weather.But I have learned from that storm. Do not become too wrapped up in work, it can become an evil mistress, taking from you all you should cherish and adore. There are far more important things in life.Heav'n has no Rage, like Love to Hatred turn'd,Nor Hell a Fury, like a Woman scorn'd.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Gone but not forgotten! POOF!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

They wont respond 2 me cuz I got em runnin scared..all they can do is make me disappear...How many of you recieved an E-mail threatening 2 ban you if you respond 2 my posts? Thats cool ..Ill take the heat 4 you all...cuz I got da big balls!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

I was 1st ..sleepy heads..and I am 2 hours behind ya all!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Hee Hee...only way 2 keep my posts up is 2 ...post again...POOF!

KsTwister 5 years, 11 months ago

The one that took the Oskaloosa brick Courthouse in the city square, the three that touched down in Topeka and the one through west Lawrence a few years ago. This was just a few, hence the name.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Off the topic a little..But CHIEF JAMES BIGHEART had a town named after him...but that was taken away and later renamed BARNSDALL ! The Chief secured his tribe financially by securing the mineral rights before oil was on the radar..But then after the big dicovery and automobiles were the future, some fat cat named BARNSDALL made huge profits in the area they stripped the town of BIGHEARTS name and renamed it after the oil dude! This would make a great topic 4 a local student 2 write a paper about (K.U...or HASKELL) ! BARNSDALL is the only town in the U.S. that has a oil well still 2 this day pumpin oil downtown ..It`s historic! Before casinos the OSAGE Indian was and may still be the richest tribe in the U.S....I just figure that JAMES BIGHEART and the OSAGE Indian deserve to have a littlle recognition 4 the chiefs ..stick it 2 the man efforts...LONG LIVE CHIEF JAMES BIGHEART and the OSAGE Indians!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Th above mentioned Tornado in 82 was just 1 of the many bad things that plagued B-ville in a short period of time! A flood..in early80s..Afire that started at my in-laws paper mill that wiped out a good chunk of town..The Tornado..and then T. Boone Pickens did his corporate takeover thing..Followed by Carl Ican next during the oil crisis of that time! Early 80s was devistating to B-ville! The economy was so wiped out people abandoned brand new homes cuz the local chamber threw all the eggs in their basket revolvinground the oil biz...only the people with cash in the bank and people with city jobs like me managed 2 stay afloat! It was a great time 4 people with money..they bought up the abandoned homes and cars dirt cheap..In a matter of a coupla years B-ville went from a town full of Mercedes Benzs 2 a town of Hoopties! Took many years 2 recover ..but has never fully done so! Before all this happened B-ville was an active town..kids used 2 cruise the sonic ..even today at night the only cars you see out are the Po-Po..It killed the towns spirit! Legend was the hiils on the S.W. edge of town was protected from Tornados by an old Indian myth...Pehaps it was sweet revenge 4 the Indians cuz like many of them they were ripped off by not getting monies from the mieral rights! The niehboring county (osage) however had a smart chief ( James Bigheart) He secured the mieral rights 4 the osage Indian and they got residual checks 4 the oil ...Several osage indians had 7 different cadillacs ..1 for each day of the week! 2 bad Bigheart didnt negotiate 4 all the tribes..Check him out in the history books ..he was a helluva leader!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

1982...Bartlesville okla...TORNADO..Just married..me and wife at my part time job at nite..and the police were drivin in the area warning prople on a loud speaker 2 take cover..the stop sign out side was bending over we took cover under a counter in middle of building! Town was tore up! Next morn. I went 2 day job reading water meters..we were reading in the worst hit area that day..national gaurd was all over keepin looting 2 a minumum! They (city) sent us in 2 read meters 2 homes that were not even there (some twisted off foundation) I radioed bossman ..he said read em anyway..made no sense 2 me 2 be recording readings 2 send bills 2 people that had no home..TRW reda pump was trhashed (employee parking lot ,,cars flipped ,& stacked) ! Miinches (brand new store) was leveled (across from phillips 66 research center) Lot-a-Burger was gone (only freezer was left) the manager herded the girls in the freezer.(it saved their lives) ! Store across street 1 guy said in paper he was bombarded in the head by a flying twinkie! Latr that day I drove to other side of town (off hi-way 75,between B-ville & Dewey) and read meters along Hi-way..and found coins scattered all over ..my guess is the change was dropped from the sky from destroyed Mininches store! It syayed on the ground many miles and left a path thru S.E.kansas..it was a 3 or 4 on fajita scale..awseome damage!