Previous   Next

What kind of music would you play if you had your own radio station?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 2, 2008

Browse the archives

“A little bit of everything. I listen to a lot of country, a lot of jazz, contemporary and soft rock. I’m not too big on rap, but I like R&B.”

“Alternative and maybe some country. It doesn’t really go together, but I think I could pull it off. It’s all about what type of songs you play.”

“I would probably play top 40 type music, soft rock, alternative as well as some international artists.”

“Music that people want to hear: hours upon hours of Depeche Mode.”

Comments

tonythetiger 6 years, 3 months ago

If I were in it strictly for business. I would go with the best for the demographic in the area. For instance if I lived in Los Angeles I would probably go with hip hop or heavy metal but if I lived in Kansas I would probably go with country western. I would probably go to the extreme of one type of music and play the cutting edge of it and only it, that way the audience would be solidified and you could guarantee that it would stay on that station any time of day.I could even have some radio show like Dr. Demento, King Biscuit Flour Hour, Alice Cooper's show or Paul Harvey. Wow.

coool 6 years, 3 months ago

Hey Cool,You forgot about your boy Brian Kimmel

Kyle Neuer 6 years, 3 months ago

Nothing "popular", whatsoever.

acg 6 years, 3 months ago

I like the way that 105.1, Jack, plays a little bit of everything, so my station would be like that. Except, I would take requests and I wouldn't stick with just mainstream music. They play great tunes, but every once in a while I want to hear some of the rare old hits I get to hear on 96.5 like last night when I was up waiting to see if the world was going to end, I heard Kill the Poor by the Dead Kennedys, The KKK Took My Baby Away, by the Ramones and Hits from the Bong by Cypress Hill. I guess on my station, one minute you could be listening to La Traviata and three songs later, you're hearing I'm Not an Addict by K's Choice. I have weird tastes in music. Oh, no Britney Spears or Christina Aguillera allowed on my station. I can't handle bubble gum pop.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely nothing digitally processed

acg 6 years, 3 months ago

Oh come on now MD, Kill the Poor is like a 30 year old song. How old are you? Were you, like, really freaked out when all of the dinosaurs died? LOL. j/k

mom_of_three 6 years, 3 months ago

I like all kinds of music, so there might be an hour of this and that, and then several hours of mixed stuff. There would be some country, Michael Buble, ZZ Top, Huey Lewis, favorite music you hear at dances, Chicago, definitely some Big Band, and some jazz, Aerosmith, Blood, Sweat and Tears. Have to play "In the Stone" at least once a day.Sometimes we listen to the music on cable, and just flip around to hear songs from the various stations. Went to a "Chicago" concert a couple of years ago - simply amazing!

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

multiD: I can probably die trying.

acoupstick 6 years, 3 months ago

Vintage (prewar) blues, jazz, and folk.

average 6 years, 3 months ago

p>Hober.org is pretty much what I want most of the time.

chewyfally 6 years, 3 months ago

I like the way you think, Amber!

gphawk89 6 years, 3 months ago

80's rock, 24/7. Van Halen, Ratt, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Kiss, AC/DC, Queensryche, Judas Priest, Anthrax, Metallica, Metal Church, Megadeth, Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, MacAlpine, Mr. Big, Def Leppard, Dio, Whitesnake, Tesla, Wasp, Great White, Scorpions, Accept, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Poison, GNR, Rush...

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

Whatever kind annoys raccoons the most. There's one nesting in the attic right now, and I want it to leave.

jamnjohnks 6 years, 3 months ago

bounceradio .net is my station. We do a little bit of everything. If your interested in a mix, commercial stuff and indie artists, we have about 25 different shows on the air currently. Come check us out.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm of the same mind of many others. It'd definitely have to be a wide variety. It's kind of funny because I live in a small city with a small, private college now, and their student-run radio station's format is about as close as I've come to something I'd do.prospector - wasn't there a station in KC in the early-mid 90's that played all polka music when they were getting ready for a format change? I think it was when that station ended up with a smooth jazz format. It was up near the top end of the dial.

rumor_man 6 years, 3 months ago

I think Charlie Quick is using his stage name.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 3 months ago

None of this neatly-packaged "I want you back/I'm so miserable without you" overproduced crap they're selling the kids these days. I would prefer a mix of everything, excluding the commercial consumer music I just mentioned. I don't remember what the act was, but back in 1996, something happened that allowed huge media companies to buy up as many radio stations as they wanted. Radio music hasn't been worth listening to since.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 3 months ago

gphawk, based on your music preferences, I think I'll set you up with my sister. (Unless, of course, you are gay, female, or married.) Oh, who cares? If you are gay or female, I'll still set you up with her. Married is a no go! :)

fu7il3 6 years, 3 months ago

German death metal, only because it is spring and it makes me happy.

ms_canada 6 years, 3 months ago

Would one be allowed to get serious on the board today or must it all be silly stuff? I am not that silly a person, sorry. If I had my own station I would have a mixture of news, public interest programs with lots of interviews with interesting people and I would intersperse these programs with a variety of music. One hour could be all country, one could be all folk with lots of celtic groups, one program would be a touch of light classics and one hour would be old favourites of mine. That would be the hour that I would listen to and it would include some Mike Oldfield, The Animals, Billy Joel, Stan Rogers, Garrnet Rogers, James Keelaghan, Andrea Bocelli. Loreena McKennitt. Stuff like that. I would not allow any of the crazy loud screaming that passes for music these days. I have yet to find a supermarket that plays nice soft music for the pleasure of shoppers. All I hear are loud screamers. Yuk!!

nomansland 6 years, 3 months ago

Amber is my kind of girl :) DM rocks! Anyways, it's too bad The Lazer is what it is today. Rolling Stone magazine didn't vote it the best station in the country for nothing!

gphawk89 6 years, 3 months ago

My second radio station would be space music. Hearts of Space, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Michael Stearns, etc.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 3 months ago

"Ooga chakka, ooga ooga ooga chakka...I can't stop this feelin', deep inside of me..." Yeah, I'd play that over and over and over.MultiD, I lost 3 trees last night. :( (Plus a trampolene, numerous ginormous tree limbs, and goodness knows what else.) Forgot to mention that the biggest tree fell on the garage...but a small oak broke it's fall first. Could have been a lot worse.RI, sorry, no hot showers for your family just yet. I have crap (literally) backing up in my downstairs shower. Why does this all happen at once????

idarastar 6 years, 2 months ago

Revolutionary music from all genres: hip-hop, funk, acid-jazz, punk, rock. Conscious music for the conscious mind. Music that promotes health, self-awareness and society awareness. I love knowledge put to the sounds of instruments!

Celeste 6 years, 3 months ago

Hey Bob, just checked out that Pandora site-how cool! I already set up my own station. :-) Thanks!

WoolyBully 6 years, 3 months ago

To Redwoodcoast: That act deregulated radio (Clinton took the money from the Big Boys!). And that is why radio sucks today. It's all computer-driven from far-away. No live deejays downtown anymore. They give us a live show in the morning, ONLY. Then they turn on the computer playlist to make sure we hear the same ol' 300 songs over and over and over. Boring. And that is why the iPod is so successful, and why the Jack format is similarly successful: the Jack format merely mimics the iPod. "We'll play what we want." That's garbage; they play that because the creativity, the excitement, the fun are all gone. They've forgotten how (or merely gotten too lazy) to program radio stations these days. Nope, one deejay in the morning with The Best Mix, The Most Variety, The Best of the 80's, and the same old boring taglines til we finally turn it off.... WHB lives on in my brain (on 710KHz), and WLS & KOMA at night, and even The Wolfman howling in from Ciudad Acuna... and don't get me started on Ville Platte, Louisiana....

Crossfire 6 years, 3 months ago

All Alvin and The Chipmunk's all the time.Chipmunk Jazz is the coolest, Daddy-O.Right Simon...?Correct Alvin.

Aisling 6 years, 2 months ago

John Prine, Guy Clark, Luka Bloom, Christy Moore, The Pogues, Louise Killeen, Prairie Home Companion, Elvis Costello, Old 97's, Rolling Stones, Leon Redbone, Jimmy Buffett, Chris Isaak, Black Oak Arkansas, The Band, Mason Profit, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, The Handsome Family, Dr. Hook, Credence, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, X, Indigo Girls, Kris Kristofferson, Greg Brown, Dan Fogelberg, Onward Crispin Glover, Killcreek, the Elders, Damian Dempsey, Rex Hobart and the Misery Boys, Taj Mahal, Southern Culture on the Skids, Dave, Rich & Bob or is it Rich, Bob & Steve? The Rainmakers, Pol McAdaim, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash.

Aisling 6 years, 2 months ago

oohhh Grand Funk, that's right, and also I forgot to mention Rod Stewart, Harry Chapin, Doobie Brothers, ELO, Bachman, Turner Overdrive, REO Speedwagon, Cream, Foghat.The fishing song!! man, does that bring back some memories. Well except I can't remember 'em but if I could it would...........

Aisling 6 years, 2 months ago

Multi---Uriah Heep!!! How could I forget 'stealin' when I shoulda been buyin'? "stood on the ridge and I shunned religion, thinkin' that the world was mine...." I would also have Iris Dement, Nanci Griffith. "onward crispin glover' is a local band (I think) and they usually win our 'best band name ever' contest. Oh and Pink Floyd would be on my station.