Previous   Next

Do you think you’ve learned more historical information through oral or written accounts?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 31, 2008

Browse the archives

“Probably written history, because it’s easier for me to retain information when I read it instead of just listening to someone tell it to me.”

“I think it would be through oral history. A lot of it is through family and I learned a lot of history that way traveling through Europe.”

“I’d say written history, because of the amount of classes I’ve taken that had a lot of historical reading.”

“Written. I like to read all the time. I do watch the History Channel a little bit, but I think I might be someone who absorbs information better through the written word.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 6 years, 8 months ago

snap writes:

I'd not trust the written or spoken word from this guy.

"David John Cawdell Irving (born March 24, 1938) is an English writer[1] specializing in the military history of World War II. He is the author of 30 books, including The Destruction of Dresden (1963), Hitler's War (1977), Uprising! (1981), Churchill's War (1987), and Goebbels - Mastermind of the Third Reich (1996).

Irving's status as a historian has been widely discredited[2] as a result of controversy arising from his noted Holocaust denial and misrepresentation of historical sources. During an unsuccessful libel case Irving brought against American historian Deborah Lipstadt and Penguin Books in 1998, an English court found that he is "an active Holocaust denier; that he is antisemitic and racist and that he associates with right-wing extremists who promote neo-Nazism." The judge also ruled that Irving had "for his own ideological reasons persistently and deliberately misrepresented and manipulated historical evidence."[3][4] He served a prison sentence in Austria from February to December 2006 for glorifying and identifying with the German Nazi Party, which is a crime in Austria under section 3g of the Verbotsgesetz law."

Still

having

a

wonderful

internet

life

which

nobody

can

deny

Eric Neuteboom 6 years, 8 months ago

Well, I did formerly work for Steve Jansen.......................................

coolmom 6 years, 8 months ago

written history in my younger days but over the last few years i have traveled more and taken an interest in verbal history about various wars and find individual accounts fascinating.

aginglady 6 years, 8 months ago

OTS goes down the tubes, definitely by..10:17, if not earlier! Doesn't beat the OTS about most physical efforts for charity! :P

dajudge 6 years, 8 months ago

WHo cares? KU won. That's living history.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 8 months ago

I would say visually, orally, and textually. I watched a lot of television growing up, but I also read a little bit of history. Right now, I've been learning much more by reading. I also travelled to Peru this past summer, so I was reading about the areas I was in while experientially taking it all in.

8muddyboots 6 years, 8 months ago

What a daft question! Written history comes from a synthesis of primary sources such as letters, photographs, newspaper articles, and, yes, oral histories (eg interviews).

SpeedRacer 6 years, 8 months ago

Both. Obviously, ancient history (no, 1950 is not ancient history) is pretty much a written account. I aways enjoyed listening to accounts of the late 19th and early 20th centuries from elder family members and acquaintences. I grew up in the South, and our story-tellers were great at recounting events. I am often amazed when I look at the kids' history books and see accounts of events since I was born written quite differently from the way in which I remember them.

Bladerunner 6 years, 8 months ago

Everything I needed to know about History I learned on Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

jonas 6 years, 8 months ago

I've experienced history through first hand perspective, as this year I'll be celebrating my 2456th birthday, though only my 30th under this current identity.There can be only one.

jonas 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh, BTW Blue73harley, it was another damned earplug! Apparently, my cat finds the taste of my wife's earwax palatable or something. Blech!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 8 months ago

snap writes:Stillhavingawonderfulun-outedinternet life.

aginglady 6 years, 8 months ago

jonas, I see you missed the thread where someone posted a researcher's explanation of a cat's sense of taste, and the makeup of earwax that draws a cat to it.I bet you could google it.PS, hide the plugs, just toss him a couple of q-tips. Much more fun and if they eat the cotton, no biggie.