Previous   Next

Do you think universities should have committees to monitor students for disturbing behavior?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 29, 2008

Browse the archives

“That sounds a little too Big Brotheresque to me.”

“Yeah. I don’t think that would probably do much harm as long as it was maintained and supervised professionally.”

“I don’t agree with that. It’s not the majority that’s the problem. I think kids go to college to get away from the structure a little bit, and I don’t think they should have someone looking over their shoulder.”

“I think it’s a good idea to a certain extent, but I think they should hold off on monitoring students’ online activities unless they have reasonable suspicion.”

Comments

tonythetiger 6 years, 8 months ago

That would depend on how you would define "disturbing".

Would they do it in accordance with behavior that fit in the normalcy and popular motives of action or would they speculate into the deeper causes of human capacity?

Just because a person and the actions it executes are not like all the others around them does not mean the person is someone that should be under suspicion. Sometimes the people around the person in the situation are the ones that should be supervised as well.

Conforming to the majority may be the most popular at the time but sometimes the one that does his own thing is the one that follows a conviction of his own instead of just following a charsimatic leader or "ring leader".

Fanaticism is exemplified in a popular movement like the "Salem Witch Trials" where the populare movement of the day is founded on what will come to be known later as a fallacy.

1) the flat earth 2) non-existence of "new world" 3) "ghost spirits" controlling rain 4) all celestial bodies revolve around earth...

Popular conceptions and notions are not always true. They are just a sign o' the times.

H_Lecter 6 years, 8 months ago

Absolutely! We'll start with bathroom monitors. If anyone uses the bathroom without washing their hands (disturbing behavior) they're immediately arrested and disinfected. A first-time offender will have their germs washed/chemically removed. Repeat offender could have their germs surgically removed and their hands placed in a display case outside the restroom as a subtle reminder. This could be a really fun committee; I do hope I get an opportunity to serve...man.

Kat Christian 6 years, 8 months ago

I don't think it is necessary for these reasons: If a person shows a violant nature by the time they get to college most likely they've had these feelings in the past (high school). Perhaps the stress of a less structure environment and the stress of college in itself is what lights the fuse for these individuals to set off and do what they do. I think the monitoring should begin in high school. A lot of these type of things should be looked at in high school, i.e. parenting classes, budgeting classes, and psychological testing. Now the issue is what do you do with a child who shows a tendency of being off balance? I think that needs to be focused on first - have a game plan of how to help these individuals before they go out into the world. Some may never be helped it is what it is or they are what they are. Evil is evil and if it has consumed a human nothing here on earth is going to combat and change what has already been laid down to unfold. Perhaps a spiritual intervention but if that were to happen the whole family has to be involved including all mentors who will come in contact with that individual. But I like what the other person stated about what deems as popular is not always right or the answer for that matter. True. Our society needs to be careful not to fall into this trap. That's all I have to say about this.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 8 months ago

No,the notion is rediculous and irresponsible. There is a movement of people in this country who live in fear and promote a very narrow classification that would be regarded as "normal".Which in turn would create an extremely broad area of "not-so-normal".Giving this movement any foothold of power would be distracting to the targeted student at the very least. Who would represent said "disturbed" student?I see civil law suits and an ever expanding division of people which the small but desperate movement is working very hard to promote. I would have to say that this comittee shall have some sort of consequences for any wrong accusations or discomfort created for the "disturbed" student. Perhaps a cash refund for every day they appear undisturbed to be paid by the commitee?You can not create a situation such as this without some sort of accountability attached.That would be too...Berlin-ish.

dajudge 6 years, 8 months ago

Where do I sign up to become one of the monitors? That would be fun. Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

Richard Heckler 6 years, 8 months ago

I say screw the whole concept and get back to academics.

Just because Bush screwed up on 9/11/01 is no indication that the USA needs to watch everyone in the dressing rooms.