Previous   Next

Have you ever considered participating in the Alternative Spring Break program?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 27, 2008

Browse the archives

“No. I think it’s a really good idea, but I always thought of spring break as a chance to relax. I would like to, though, if I had another one coming.”

“I did a lot of community service stuff when I first got to KU, so I considered it. It always seems like I’m too busy catching up on all of my student theater projects during that time.”

“I’ve thought about it before, but never that seriously. My friend just got back from helping out in New Orleans and said it was amazing, so I really regret not going when I had the chance because this is my last semester.”

“No. I need my breaks, and I enjoy them thoroughly.”

Comments

GretchenJP 6 years ago

What is this "Spring Break" you speak of?

ChristmasCarol 6 years ago

what mr. Oates fails to realize is that there are plenty of oppurtunites to "Help" people in Lawrence that could appreciate it as much as going somewhere else to do it.

I am not saying that "alternative spring break" is such a bad thing but maybe "Native Spring Break" or programs helping people in need in the Lawrence community instead of helping people that already have plenty of money go other places and be "heroes" by placing them at the head of a free workforce somewhere else is great benefit for those convincing the kids to work for free somewhere else organized of course by their truly wonderful leader in the program who sits on his ass and bosses others around. : )

I have an alternative for him. Why doesn't he help people in the community of Lawrence instead of kicking them around by his whim.

notajayhawk 6 years ago

Sorry, should have been more specific as this said participating in a program, not going to a destination.

Once I considered spending a week getting drunk in Cancun, but picked spending a week getting drunk on South Padre as an alternate.

notajayhawk 6 years ago

Once I considered going to Cancun, but picked South Padre as an alternate.

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

fleeba, are you announcing or did it finally come late? I'm offering a great maternity T-shirt, as well.

preebo 6 years ago

At CU we had a similar program during the break between Fall and Spring semesters It was referred to as Winterim. Compressed timeline but interesting class options. I took advantage of it because I was a double major (Conservation Biology & Political Science) and I didn't want to be in school longer then was necessary. I would recommend it to those looking to get the most out of college without spending a decade working on a Bachelors, you know who you are.

tonythetiger 6 years ago

I tried going to Spring Break once and their Grrrreeeaaattt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChristmasCarol 6 years ago

I considered all the time I spent in Kansas and at KU time donated to people in need anyway.

It as the alternative to going anywhere for Spring Break was what I had to do. There was little thanks and the natives were not very grateful.

fleeba 6 years ago

I just wish I got a spring break.. period!

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

We should have a picture of Grandpa Oates on the back with a scowl waving his finger.

ohjayhawk 6 years ago

sue - could you please get me an Extra Medium shirt? I'd appreciate it :)

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

Oh, I forgot to ask for sizes. Oh, and a check for $39.95. (I'm going to order the organic bamboo shirts because they are softer...and organic...so the extra money is well worth it and all of you can just take it out of your economy stimulus check. Besides, the shipping from Indonesia is a killer.)

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

"cynical pinheads displaying their sophistication" -bennyoates

I think we just found a new title for our board! Brilliant! I call up and order our T-shirts.

prospector 6 years ago

I always did. I did the beach one year and the slopes the next. I also alternated from tropical rum drinks to hot toddies.

I almost forgot about the time I missed out because of a bad alternator.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

No, but I'm considering driving to Indiana tomorrow. Does that count?

jonas 6 years ago

Oh, on the by, you should check my theory regarding that Will article. I resist the idea that political ideology has much to do with anything of concrete value.

Of course, that probably goes more for Acg than for you. . . .

jonas 6 years ago

Thanks, Maria. Me and my wife-to-be (at the time) got a chance to go back a few years ago with my folks (they stopped going to that church when they moved to San Diego but still go to the DR every year) as part of a more medical-oriented trip. (The church is Village Presbyterian in Prairie Village, JoCo, btw) They send a team of doctors and medical staff every year to the dirt poor sugar-cane cutting villages to provide basic medical care to the people there. (They actually sell their services for 1-2 pesos or what they can afford, on the theory that something given holds less value than something earned and paid for) My wife's a nurse so she was really able to contribute. I was crowd control and menial labor for the most part. ;) I did get to practice my Spanish, which was really funny because I was studying 1st year Japanese at the time, so what generally came out at the start was a 3 language hybrid that no one understood, that I fondly came to call Japanglish.

bennyoates 6 years ago

Here's an alternative to the cynical pinheads displaying their sophistication today on this board:

Students who use their Spring Breaks to help others less fortunate and privileged than they are deserve nothing but praise. Alternative Spring Breaks benefit everyone, and I applaud the students who take part in them.

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

Yes, I like to take my spring break earlier/later than everybody else. The lines at the ski lifts are much shorter!

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years ago

Excellent example Jonas.

Learn a little, live a little, sweat a little and still have fun.

My dad had me help out at his job quite often whenever I had a break from school. I got the lesson loud and clear about getting an education or get stuck being a laborer for the rest of your life. I'm not disparaging laborers, just bringing it up because I've seen too many people broken down at a (relatively) young age because of the work.

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years ago

acg (Anonymous) says:

Abso-freakin'-lutely. ; ) Hey it works for republicans, why not me?

According to Mr. Will, you've got that backwards. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/mar...

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

R_I - Hey, it paid the rent.

jonas 6 years ago

What, exactly, defines an "Alternative" spring break? Is it the social responsibility factor, or something else?

I took a couple different type trips with my youth group back in my church-going days (IE: The days my parents took me to Church), the best of which was the trip to the Dominican Republic to help build a hospital. I found it to be a great experience, and it was a good time to do it (16) because I came back with a totally different perspective on American and International life, one that still is a large guiding factor within my life today.

coolmom 6 years ago

by all means if the mood stikes go help someone else. i find that students can get a lot out of it. i also find that the week off can really give kids a chance to relax and come back recharged the way it often can for the adults who work with them. in my case i have a bunch at home and its like work all the time. we finalize our adoption on our newest teen today...in for a penny in for a pound lol.

acg 6 years ago

Abso-freakin'-lutely. ; ) Hey it works for republicans, why not me?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years ago

acg, So it's all me, myself and I? No one should feed their social conscious?

acg 6 years ago

harley I couldn't have said it better myself. Please don't be a in a hurry to grow up and be bogged down with responsibility too fast because once it happens, you're sunk and there's no way out except death. Can ya'll tell I'm having a mid life crisis?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years ago

T_O_B, Is that because of the fluffer job thingy while you were in college?

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

I prefer my spring break be straight.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years ago

Is this one of those 12 step programs? My stairway has 13 steps, I would dislike being stuck there for a week.

blue73harley 6 years ago

No, but I would certainly like an alternative to w-o-r-k.

Advice to students - take all the breaks you can get. Remember these words from Mr. Mellencamp - Life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone.