Previous   Next

Do you already have plans for your economic stimulus check?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 26, 2008

Browse the archives

“Mine is going to help pay off my credit card debt, and that’s about it.”

“I believe I’ll take a vacation. I don’t know where, but it’s a good opportunity to take one.”

“I don’t trust that it’s going to come, so I’m not making any plans until I’ve got the money in hand.”

“Yeah, Sallie Mae. She gets all of it.”

Comments

RedwoodCoast 6 years ago

Now that I've read a few more posts, I do have a friend who lives on the Big Island of Hawaii... travel sounds good...

RedwoodCoast 6 years ago

I was going to use it as a tax-deductable donation to a non-profit. Turns out that I can't do that, so I imagine I'll be drinking good beer for a while.

faceit 6 years ago

brookcreeker,

I hope that you don't get kidnapped by terrorists who beat you and break most of your bones, rip off your ears with pliers, drag you behind their vehicle for miles, use you for target practice, stick explosive charges in your orifices, make you drink caustic chemicals, pull out your hair and teeth and finally poke out your eyes...before they kill you. That would have a sad irony since you share the same political perspective as the terrorists.

brookcreeker 6 years, 1 month ago

If I spend my check, I will do exactly what Bush wants: stimulate the US economy. Instead, as a small protest, I intend to purchase an airline ticket (foreign-owned, of course) and blow my economic stimulus check in a country that frequently opposes the Bush Administration.

thinker 6 years, 1 month ago

I will think of something. Home improvement stuff so I can see where it went. In other words give it to my little woman.

riverdrifter 6 years, 1 month ago

Colorado elk tag or a ticket to Rome. Will confer with ladyfriend.

(later) Rome it is.

bennyoates 6 years, 1 month ago

I'll donate some to Barack Obama's Presidential campaign, because when he's President, we won't need reimbursements like this.

GretchenJP 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm goin to Disneyland!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Rist 6 years, 1 month ago

Are you all tried of doing whatever is good for Wall Street?

One tank of gas that's funny

mom_of_three 6 years, 1 month ago

I am like the gal above...not going to spend it until the check is in hand.
If received, we will save it for eldest kid's college bill, or for possible trip at end of summer to visit relatives. Course it would also be nice to have a new tv or refrigerator.......no, no, no... save it for college....

georgeofwesternkansas 6 years, 1 month ago

Agnostick thanks for the link, the PP is great.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 1 month ago

What is that sucking sound, oh its the economy going to hell. Bush bucks and Pelosi pennies to the rescue, we are saved and economy is fixed. That was a close one America was almost doomed but our politicians saved us again.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

R_I -

Eat there. Drink with Jim and Mr. Makers.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

We planned to buy iphones, but we already have, so it'll just go into the savings that got pulled out to buy the iphones. (which are the coolest gadgets since I bought the Wii)

cool 6 years, 1 month ago

buy some Deciphera stock with Mayor Hack ?

oldvet 6 years, 1 month ago

Agnostik, great attachment... funny and educational at the same time... remove the f-bombs and you could use it to educate anyone on what and how this happened...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 1 month ago

T_O_B, Your only gonna eat at the Colonel's?

cool 6 years, 1 month ago

my rebate will go to storm/screen door replacements.

dajudge 6 years, 1 month ago

I think I'll take mine to Vegas and double my money. Then, I'll call my wife from Vegas and beg her to send me money for a flight home.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

I plan to help the Kentucky economy.

Ceallach 6 years, 1 month ago

Agnostik, that was hilarious! Thanks for sharing.

BABBOY 6 years, 1 month ago

i am getting a rebate. Cool!!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

Yeah -- I hope not to spend it for as long as possible. I'm hoping to save it for a time when I really need it.

Agnostick 6 years, 1 month ago

Good point, takeastand!!

The following link is to a Powerpoint presentation somebody posted over at Donklephant. Right-click, saive it, and open it with M$ Powerpoint. I've opened it and viewed it... and it is, hands-down, the very best explanation of the mortgage meltdown I've seen yet. Uproariously funny stuff!

You need to have Powerpoint to view this... or some other application that will display/run Powerpoint presentations. Once you see the first screen, just hit the space bar to advance to the next screen.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com http://www.uscentrist.org http://www.americanplan.org

Bruce Rist 6 years, 1 month ago

give it to your kids because they are the ones that are going to have to pay it back.

Agnostick 6 years, 1 month ago

blue73harley (Anonymous) says:

"Is anyone REALLY under a rock THAT big?"

You do read these forums, don't you? ;)

JJE007 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm buying bricks, magazines and the book - How To Serve Man!~)

acg 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm on board with ottr's idea. I don't have a need for a hooker, really, but beer is good.

Ceallach 6 years, 1 month ago

Use it to buy the gas necessary for my dog and I to go to Colorado for a week.

oldvet 6 years, 1 month ago

Economic stimulus check? The letter I got from the IRS said I won't get one... so I guess I won't be spending it...

Roadkill_Rob 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to join the Emperor's Club.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

Like juscin3, we owe the IRS so it'll just help to make paying that seem only slightly less nightmarish.

offtotheright 6 years, 1 month ago

As you may have heard the Bush Administration said each one of us would

now get a nice rebate. If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China. If we spend it on gasoline it will all go to the Arabs. If we spend it on fruit and vegetables it will all go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatamala. If we purchase a good car it will all go to Japan. If we purchase useless crap it will all go to Taiwan and none of it will help the American economy. We need to keep that money here in America, so the only way to keep that money here at home is to buy prostitutes and beer, since those are the only businesses still in the US. My name is Elliot Spitzer and I approved this ad...

Kevin Sontag 6 years, 1 month ago

There's a special down at the Tacomat: six-hundred tacos for six-hundred dollars. I'm gonna get that. Yes, it should provide sufficient sustenance for the Dr. Who marathon.

americorps 6 years, 1 month ago

My $600 will buy me a weeks stay at Machu Pichu, Cuzco and the Sacred Valley.

I really love living in Peru.

bangaranggerg 6 years, 1 month ago

Is buying $600 worth of pancakes good for the economy because that's what I'm doing.. Tom Fleming is spending his on a vacation to Who'sTuffonia.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 1 month ago

I am going to buy some juggling balls and simultaneously simulate being a juggler while I try to stimulate passersby in downtown Lawrence to toss me a dollar to pay for the high cost of living.

tonythetiger 6 years, 1 month ago

I am going to buy some some Jelly Belly's and a bag of freshly roasted peanuts.

northtown 6 years, 1 month ago

Right into the savings account!!! same old thing,some day they will want it back!!!!!!!!!!

ranger73 6 years, 1 month ago

save it to pay the 41% taxes that will be charged next tax year

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 1 month ago

No firm plans. It would just about cover about 3 upper kits and the lowers too... But no firm plans.

Coming soon: Your new Ford vehicle made in India...

craigers 6 years, 1 month ago

Yes. Pay a little on the car, get paint so my Dad and I can paint the house, resurface our deck, bedding for my wife and I, paint our bedroom, and some ceiling fans/light fixtures for the house!! Come on the middle of May! I want the check! :)

Reality_Check 6 years, 1 month ago

I love it: Our economic problems were caused by too much consumption and too little savings, and they want to throw more fuel on the fire by encouraging additional consumption? Best of all, they are funding that hopeful consumption with an increase in the national debt. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

This is going to be the biggest failure in economic history. Everyone will use it to buy stuff they already need, or they'll use it to pay down debt, and a few may save it. But as far as "stimulating" the economy? You've got to be kidding. Few understand that we're in the biggest economic crisis of our lifetimes. House prices have another 20% to drop to get back in line with rents and median incomes. Fuel prices are likely going to continued due to non-US demand. Food prices will continue to climb due to non-US demand and increased corn ethanol production in the US.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 1 month ago

yeah not eco friendly at all but just thing of all the junk mail everyday.

juscin3 6 years, 1 month ago

Ours is goin right back to the IRS. We owe, we owe, we owe....I don't understand why they send those letters out. It's not like we haven't heard it on the news or read it in the newspapers.
I used to work at Sallie Mae back when they were in Lawrence. It was a good job, had alot of changes in the last two years I was there before they moved to Indy. I must say, ALOT of BIG loans go through there for sure!

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

I am starting a lawn service, so I spent mine a little early. I bought all American-made equipment from small businesses (no box stores or chains). The actual check will go back to my savings account to replace some of what I took out...either that or it will go straight to the Kansas gov't to pay for tags.

Jesse....that Sallie Mae is a b+itch. I'm glad that I am through with her (although the intrest paid last year did help my refund this year).

blue73harley 6 years, 1 month ago

Pay bills.

Reason 1,900,345,678,123 on why we should NOT let the Feds institute a National Health Care system. Was it really necessary to send us all notice in the mail that we were going to get a check!? Is anyone REALLY under a rock THAT big?

aginglady 6 years, 1 month ago

Try to keep the wolves at bay for about 13 days longer.

militant 6 years, 1 month ago

I'll probably just bury more land mines in the yard.