Previous   Next

Do you already have plans for your economic stimulus check?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 26, 2008

Browse the archives

“Mine is going to help pay off my credit card debt, and that’s about it.”

“I believe I’ll take a vacation. I don’t know where, but it’s a good opportunity to take one.”

“I don’t trust that it’s going to come, so I’m not making any plans until I’ve got the money in hand.”

“Yeah, Sallie Mae. She gets all of it.”

Comments

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 5 months ago

yeah not eco friendly at all but just thing of all the junk mail everyday.

aginglady 6 years, 5 months ago

Try to keep the wolves at bay for about 13 days longer.

labmonkey 6 years, 5 months ago

I am starting a lawn service, so I spent mine a little early. I bought all American-made equipment from small businesses (no box stores or chains). The actual check will go back to my savings account to replace some of what I took out...either that or it will go straight to the Kansas gov't to pay for tags.

Jesse....that Sallie Mae is a b+itch. I'm glad that I am through with her (although the intrest paid last year did help my refund this year).

juscin3 6 years, 5 months ago

Ours is goin right back to the IRS. We owe, we owe, we owe....I don't understand why they send those letters out. It's not like we haven't heard it on the news or read it in the newspapers.
I used to work at Sallie Mae back when they were in Lawrence. It was a good job, had alot of changes in the last two years I was there before they moved to Indy. I must say, ALOT of BIG loans go through there for sure!

craigers 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes. Pay a little on the car, get paint so my Dad and I can paint the house, resurface our deck, bedding for my wife and I, paint our bedroom, and some ceiling fans/light fixtures for the house!! Come on the middle of May! I want the check! :)

ranger73 6 years, 5 months ago

save it to pay the 41% taxes that will be charged next tax year

tonythetiger 6 years, 5 months ago

I am going to buy some some Jelly Belly's and a bag of freshly roasted peanuts.

bangaranggerg 6 years, 5 months ago

Is buying $600 worth of pancakes good for the economy because that's what I'm doing.. Tom Fleming is spending his on a vacation to Who'sTuffonia.

Kevin Sontag 6 years, 5 months ago

There's a special down at the Tacomat: six-hundred tacos for six-hundred dollars. I'm gonna get that. Yes, it should provide sufficient sustenance for the Dr. Who marathon.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

Like juscin3, we owe the IRS so it'll just help to make paying that seem only slightly less nightmarish.

Roadkill_Rob 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm going to join the Emperor's Club.

oldvet 6 years, 5 months ago

Economic stimulus check? The letter I got from the IRS said I won't get one... so I guess I won't be spending it...

Ceallach 6 years, 5 months ago

Use it to buy the gas necessary for my dog and I to go to Colorado for a week.

acg 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm on board with ottr's idea. I don't have a need for a hooker, really, but beer is good.

JJE007 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm buying bricks, magazines and the book - How To Serve Man!~)

Bruce Rist 6 years, 5 months ago

give it to your kids because they are the ones that are going to have to pay it back.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

Yeah -- I hope not to spend it for as long as possible. I'm hoping to save it for a time when I really need it.

Ceallach 6 years, 5 months ago

Agnostik, that was hilarious! Thanks for sharing.

dajudge 6 years, 5 months ago

I think I'll take mine to Vegas and double my money. Then, I'll call my wife from Vegas and beg her to send me money for a flight home.

oldvet 6 years, 5 months ago

Agnostik, great attachment... funny and educational at the same time... remove the f-bombs and you could use it to educate anyone on what and how this happened...

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

We planned to buy iphones, but we already have, so it'll just go into the savings that got pulled out to buy the iphones. (which are the coolest gadgets since I bought the Wii)

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 5 months ago

What is that sucking sound, oh its the economy going to hell. Bush bucks and Pelosi pennies to the rescue, we are saved and economy is fixed. That was a close one America was almost doomed but our politicians saved us again.

georgeofwesternkansas 6 years, 5 months ago

Agnostick thanks for the link, the PP is great.

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

I am like the gal above...not going to spend it until the check is in hand.
If received, we will save it for eldest kid's college bill, or for possible trip at end of summer to visit relatives. Course it would also be nice to have a new tv or refrigerator.......no, no, no... save it for college....

Bruce Rist 6 years, 5 months ago

Are you all tried of doing whatever is good for Wall Street?

One tank of gas that's funny

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm goin to Disneyland!!!!!!!!!

riverdrifter 6 years, 5 months ago

Colorado elk tag or a ticket to Rome. Will confer with ladyfriend.

(later) Rome it is.

brookcreeker 6 years, 5 months ago

If I spend my check, I will do exactly what Bush wants: stimulate the US economy. Instead, as a small protest, I intend to purchase an airline ticket (foreign-owned, of course) and blow my economic stimulus check in a country that frequently opposes the Bush Administration.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 5 months ago

I was going to use it as a tax-deductable donation to a non-profit. Turns out that I can't do that, so I imagine I'll be drinking good beer for a while.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 5 months ago

Now that I've read a few more posts, I do have a friend who lives on the Big Island of Hawaii... travel sounds good...