Previous   Next

What do you do to save money?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 25, 2008

Browse the archives

“I try to buy things that are used instead of new. We have quite a few vintage clothing stores here in Lawrence, so I try not to shop for new clothes.”

“I don’t buy a lot of meat and eat mostly vegetarian. It ends up saving me a lot of money in the long run.”

“I make a list when I go shopping and stick to it, and I try not to make impulse buys. I also bring my lunch to work and only eat out on weekends.”

“I don’t do enough. I’m always broke. I try not to go out to eat as much and cook at home. That, and I try to get drunk before I go out to the bar.”

Comments

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

I reclaim all of my water and perspiration through a still-suit. Loss is limited to less than a thimbleful a day.

BigPrune 6 years, 9 months ago

I put a portion of my earnings in the cookie jar.

Ceallach 6 years, 9 months ago

I listen to Dave Ramsey, he shames me out of many a "bargain" at the stores. To quote the mighty Dave, "Remember folks, if you don't need it, it's not a bargain!"

sgtwolverine 6 years, 9 months ago

Vintage clothing stores : Thrift shops :: Pre-owned vehicles : Used cars

Same things, just snootier names.

What do I do to save money? I buy less.

tonythetiger 6 years, 9 months ago

I sleep under trees to save on rent. I kill things and eat them instead of buy groceries. I have a fur coat and always wear it to save on utility bills. I don't have any other clothes than my fur coat.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

Bathe monthly. Patchouli is an effective masking agent. Also, shaving the legs in only the summer months cuts down on blade use and adds a layer of good insulation.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

le, how does one get into that line of work? I'm seriously interested in knowing.

oldvet 6 years, 9 months ago

Reminds me of when the old nurse came out of the patient's room with a disgusted look on her face.

"What's wrong?" the young nurse asked...

"Why, that filthy patient has the word 'Swan' tattooed on his member!" she replied.

The young nurse went in to see for herself and, nearly an hour later, came out of the room smiling... "You're wrong about that tattoo" she told the old nurse, "He is from Canada and it really says 'Saskatchewan'!!!"

crackers 6 years, 9 months ago

I purchase most everything from China, South Korea, Japan, and Mexico.

phenommenom 6 years, 9 months ago

I like to buy used items. I think that it is good for my pocket book as well as for the enviorment!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

le, I think I'm ok at coloring between the lines, and I have no aversion to blood or needles (or male members for that matter), but I don't think tattooing is a career path for me. I'm just really interested in "how" one becomes a tattooist. (It's not like you sign up for tattooing 101 in college.) I just find it all fascinating. I've seen some really beautiful tatts, but I think I would lose half of my young customers by telling them that they were filling up their canvases too fast. I'd also argue with some of them over their choices. (See, I'd be really bad at making any money at it.)

"You interested in becoming a penis tattooist? Sounds lucrative. $1000 per 5 minutes is good money. My math is fuzzy, but that sounds like Paul McCartney's ex-wife/hooker type cash." -TOB

that kind of cash could almost talk me into it!

GretchenJP 6 years, 9 months ago

What is this "saving money" you speak of?