Previous   Next

What do you do to save money?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 25, 2008

Browse the archives

“I try to buy things that are used instead of new. We have quite a few vintage clothing stores here in Lawrence, so I try not to shop for new clothes.”

“I don’t buy a lot of meat and eat mostly vegetarian. It ends up saving me a lot of money in the long run.”

“I make a list when I go shopping and stick to it, and I try not to make impulse buys. I also bring my lunch to work and only eat out on weekends.”

“I don’t do enough. I’m always broke. I try not to go out to eat as much and cook at home. That, and I try to get drunk before I go out to the bar.”

Comments

GretchenJP 6 years, 1 month ago

What is this "saving money" you speak of?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

le, I think I'm ok at coloring between the lines, and I have no aversion to blood or needles (or male members for that matter), but I don't think tattooing is a career path for me. I'm just really interested in "how" one becomes a tattooist. (It's not like you sign up for tattooing 101 in college.) I just find it all fascinating. I've seen some really beautiful tatts, but I think I would lose half of my young customers by telling them that they were filling up their canvases too fast. I'd also argue with some of them over their choices. (See, I'd be really bad at making any money at it.)

"You interested in becoming a penis tattooist? Sounds lucrative. $1000 per 5 minutes is good money. My math is fuzzy, but that sounds like Paul McCartney's ex-wife/hooker type cash." -TOB

that kind of cash could almost talk me into it!

bobberboy 6 years, 1 month ago

save money ? Would that really help ?

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 1 month ago

Make less lo-----e, and save on rubber.

phenommenom 6 years, 1 month ago

I like to buy used items. I think that it is good for my pocket book as well as for the enviorment!

crackers 6 years, 1 month ago

I purchase most everything from China, South Korea, Japan, and Mexico.

le 6 years, 1 month ago

oh yeah! and bathing more than once a month will help you keep a steady flow of customers sue!

le 6 years, 1 month ago

"sunflower sue" 1st it helps to have drawing talent but not a requirment ! if you can stay between the lines when coloring (i have taught people before) then you could be taught to do pre-made pattern art...you know.. that crap on the wall of most tattoo shops (called flash art) its similar to paint by numbers! i specialize in free hand custom art but my "forte" is cover up work! the most common of which is names of a spouse ! putting another persons name on yourself (excluding your children) is a sign of a insecure person plus its known as the "curse" i`ve put names of couples that have been together 20 plus years that think its safe to do so only to come back within a year to have them covered! so if ya wanna get rid of yer signifigant other..put their name on ya! there is no school for tattooing but if ya find someone whom is willing to take you under their wing (a legitimate studio) and teach you the right way! tattooing has fed many a (otherwise starving) artist ! i was lucky enough to learn from the tattooist to the stars from "sunset strip" a very well known artist from hollywood! hope that helps...good luck...you can do it !

blue73harley 6 years, 1 month ago

It is definitely a BIG OTS! kind of day today. :-)

oldvet 6 years, 1 month ago

Reminds me of when the old nurse came out of the patient's room with a disgusted look on her face.

"What's wrong?" the young nurse asked...

"Why, that filthy patient has the word 'Swan' tattooed on his member!" she replied.

The young nurse went in to see for herself and, nearly an hour later, came out of the room smiling... "You're wrong about that tattoo" she told the old nurse, "He is from Canada and it really says 'Saskatchewan'!!!"

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

Sue -

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

le, how does one get into that line of work? I'm seriously interested in knowing.

le 6 years, 1 month ago

when someone comes in my shop with a bad attitude...is rude...wants something nazi...or 666 related...i double the price!for working on a penis i charge the minumum plus add a 5 hundred dollar handling charge!yep im a "tattooist" (now do you understand my personality?) i once had a lawyer come in one of my shops with a strange request (tribal on his taint) i told him $ 1000 thinking he would leave (damn) but he didnt even blink an eye! so i put on 2 pairs of gloves, made him hold his sack out of my way,grabbed my wrist to steady my hand (so i didnt have to touch his funk zone)...and 5 minutes later i was done and he handed me over 10 benjamins! (proof) lawyers have "dirty" money! its a dirty job but someone has 2 do it ! i guess he wanted a tattoo that his family couldnt see ! it musta been for his "special" friend (wink wink) no pun intended! that was one twisted attorney! butt hell...for that kinda money...i could afford the therapy for having to look that lawyer right in the (brown) eye! beats the hell outta diggin ditches..oops! another pun!

hitme 6 years, 1 month ago

Stopped using the internet

macon47 6 years, 1 month ago

the downtown panhandlers taught me how to shop lift the merchants so i have money for booze and smokes

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

Bathe monthly. Patchouli is an effective masking agent. Also, shaving the legs in only the summer months cuts down on blade use and adds a layer of good insulation.

tonythetiger 6 years, 1 month ago

I sleep under trees to save on rent. I kill things and eat them instead of buy groceries. I have a fur coat and always wear it to save on utility bills. I don't have any other clothes than my fur coat.

Noemon 6 years, 1 month ago

:: spits at jonas' feet ::

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

Vintage clothing stores : Thrift shops :: Pre-owned vehicles : Used cars

Same things, just snootier names.

What do I do to save money? I buy less.

autie 6 years, 1 month ago

"always save", "great value", "best choice". Learn to live with the "Down to stems and seeds again blues"....

Ceallach 6 years, 1 month ago

I listen to Dave Ramsey, he shames me out of many a "bargain" at the stores. To quote the mighty Dave, "Remember folks, if you don't need it, it's not a bargain!"

trinity 6 years, 1 month ago

nothing. absolutely nothing.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 1 month ago

Eat cookies from BigPrune's cookie jar.

BigPrune 6 years, 1 month ago

I put a portion of my earnings in the cookie jar.

Kookamooka 6 years, 1 month ago

Saving money is so unpatriotic!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

I buy the cheaper "white box" ammo.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

I reclaim all of my water and perspiration through a still-suit. Loss is limited to less than a thimbleful a day.

blue73harley 6 years, 1 month ago

"That, and I try to get drunk before I go out to the bar."

Now THAT is a man with a plan!

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 1 month ago

Read the paper online instead of buying the print edition.