Previous   Next

What does your family do to celebrate Easter?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 23, 2008

Browse the archives

“We always go to church. All my kids are older now, but we still hide the eggs just for fun. My husband has to work this year, so we’ll be having Easter dinner on Saturday.”

“We spend the day together and have dinner. We also have an Easter egg hunt for all the kids.”

“We go to church in the morning. We all hang out together during the day and eat Easter dinner at night.”

“We do the church thing. First we go to the service, then all the kids go outside and hunt for eggs. They have Easter baskets as prizes for the kids who find the most.”

Comments

bobberboy 6 years ago

multidisciplenary - haha.

mulitdisciplinary 6 years ago

Windlass (Anonymous) says:

Why does the Journal-World try to gather so much personal information?

very(!) funny Windlass

cool 6 years ago

meal with family - this year baked ham with baked cheese grits ! and cherry pie from washington bakery via the MERC.

bobberboy 6 years ago

Sorry I meant then - stupid keyboard !

bobberboy 6 years ago

We usually drape entrals over our heads and dance around like chickens to the tune of Led Zepps Immigrant Song.

autie 6 years ago

On Easter, we cook and eat the lamb; with mushrooms. then go down to wetlands and watch the otters play; smoking cigarettes in public the whole time.

Windlass 6 years ago

Why does the Journal-World try to gather so much personal information?

WoolyBully 6 years ago

Hey Marion! As I'm new here, what do we do when this particular "post topic" is no longer valid? Like, we're under a decidedly "Easter" topic, which the LJW will presumably kill.... So, now what?

dajudge 6 years ago

Marion: That's true, but it's still better than taking your own bottle to the club and letting the bartender serve you your own liquor, or buying a liquor card and checking it off for each drink, and having to dance disco.

mulitdisciplinary 6 years ago

Deciding togetherness might not be the best thing to continue.

Marion Lynn 6 years ago

dajudge:

The Six Ps:

Prior Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance!

This is KANSAS with liquor laws just as sutpid as you think they are!

dajudge 6 years ago

I celebrated this Easter Sunday by going to work and then getting off work and stopping by the liquor store to pick up some refreshing cold libation, but there was a sign on the door that said the liquor stores are closed on Easter. So much for celebratin'.

jonas 6 years ago

"This is just practice for real money-making blogging and stress relief!"

This plan must be taking some time to properly implement.

Marion Lynn 6 years ago

faceit (Anonymous) says:

To have your own forum, but bore everyone on LJW with over 10,000 posts. .. You must have blisters on your derriÃre from spending 24hrs a day on here"

Marion writes:

Faceit, you are the one who is reading my posts. This is just practice for real money-making blogging and stress relief!

ignorant_people_abound 6 years ago

well , I go to church this day, and only this day, purely out of desperation to make my pathetic little Larryvile life count somehow. MAN I feel good after going to church on Easter. ...... You know the old saying.."If the foo S**ts, wear it"

faceit 6 years ago

Marion Lynn 6 years ago

jonas 6 years ago

Bah! You and your necrology! It was thanks to you that I had to bar my doors and windows every Easter.

WoolyBully 6 years ago

I recall Spencer, but not the Toyota. I remember he had a green, race-prepared TR-6. Entriken had an MG-A that he ran in St Charles a few times. Bill was married to a Fox. Clancy had a yellow Bugeye that went like doo-doo off a Teflon shovel. You're talking too much "Detroit" for me. If it wasn't you, then who was it that drove that blue VW, with that strange automatic they offered for a while? Nice guy.

WoolyBully 6 years ago

Marion: don't specifically recall any of that iron in my time in Lawrence, but certainly know the various vehicles. The Fleetmaster was oh-so-cool. I had a '54 MG-TF and cherished it. Left Lawrence years ago; I've been gone to Europe since '71. My tastes have changed; in a nation where Mercedes and big Citroens are taxis, my last six consecutive rides have been Benzes. No, I'm certainly not wealthy; it's just that I cannot afford to keep repairing the alternatives. Mercedes build boring cars: boring, in that nothing ever goes wrong with them. Every Shelby ever made has been lovely... but today they're bordering on crude.

Kimi won this morning, Hamilton last week. Happy Easter, tomorrow's a holiday here. Day off. Wine at home. Almost time for bed. See you 'round campus.

Marion Lynn 6 years ago

A bit more that may help you WollyBully....Bill Spencer was driving his white Toyota 2000GT, a guy named Cliff had a white SAAB; one of those 3 cyl, 2 cycle jobs, one of the Speer boys would sometimes turn up in Dr. Speer's Phantom I "Shooting Brake" (Read: converted hearse!), there was a kid who drove a '29 Seventh Series Packard that had lawn chairs for seats as the interior was gone, that guy who lived in the old frat house that was next to The Chalk drove the light blue '53 Cadillac El Dorado convertible, Dr. William Bass drove his black '39 Chevy coupe every day to class, the guy who worked at the Union drove the white '52 Lincoln Capri convertible, some guy whose name eludes me drove a silver '53 Mercedes Benz, Moel 220, Cabriolet B, the guy who owned the head shop had the white '39 Buick Roadmaster sedan with dual sidemounts and the debate coach at Lawrence High had his old Cadillac Fleetwood 75 that he hauled around the debate team in.

notnowdear 6 years ago

I celebrate the equality of day and night, manage an easter egg hunt, and basically reflect on my own personal ability to resurrect.

coolmom 6 years ago

curl in a ball somwhere away from gobs of sugar high kids and their friends.

Marion Lynn 6 years ago

Dark green with a flat black hood and deck lid. Also a light green '48 Chevy Fleetmaster 2dr sedan and sometimes a blue 1939 Chrysler. Hung around with Dave who drove the green Shelby Mustang. I also often drove a yellow 1968 427/430hp Corvette convertible.

WoolyBully 6 years ago

Marion, do I know you? Did you used to drive a dark blue VW Beetle in the very early 70s? A while back you refered to the basement of the Bierstube. I was a (near daily) Bierstuber then.

jonny_quest 6 years ago

Instead of a rabbit, how about posting a picture of a dead puppy; a dead wolf-dog puppy. Surely, the same adults and children would chuckle at it, too.

Marion Lynn 6 years ago

MD:

Happy that I made a kid laugh!

Tell him it's all a joke and that it is good that he can laugh about it!

Reads like you are raising a mentally healthy child!

Keep up the good work!

Multidisciplinary 6 years ago

Marion, I just showed my son the Easter is cancelled. I covered the screen with my hands, and warned him, he made a shocked face, then laughed really hard. I told him about your previous Easter Rabbit Hunt, he got all excited but I again said, that was a few years ago!

Buggie7 6 years ago

Actually Peaches I have seen Marion post a one liner. Oh how Marion must have held back lol. He just has alot on his mind I suppose lol.

Richard Heckler 6 years ago

Enjoy ourselves. One younger child keeps the whole family young. Easter egg hunts and treasure hunts.

Dixie Jones 6 years ago

moron oops marion do you ever post a one liner ?

jonas 6 years ago

Read Watership Down.

Marion Lynn 6 years ago

Well, being of mixed religious heritage, we all gather round in appropriate dress and:

(1)Present an offering by fire, a burnt offering, to the Lord: two bulls of the herd, one ram, and seven yearling lambs - and see that they are without blemish.

(2)Such shall be the burnt offering of pleasing odor, an offering by fire to the Lord and by golly, we make sure that the odor is pleasing!

(3)And as the New Standard Bible says in Leviticus 1:9, we:

Its entrails, however, and its legs he shall wash with water. And the priest shall offer up in smoke all of it on the altar for a burnt offering, an offering by fire of a soothing aroma to the LORD.

(4) And in the fall, at harvest we will follow the example of King David who sacrificed the Gibeonites:

"and he gave them into the hands of the Gibeonites, and they hanged them on the mountain before the LORD, and the seven of them perished together. They were put to death in the first days of harvest, at the beginning of barley harvest. (2 Sam. 21:7-9)"

Those little decorated eggs just aren't as much fun as following the commands and examples of the Bible!

Next year we might try substituting Easter Bunnies for lambs, goats and bulls; those big animals are just too hard to catch!

Haven't seen any Gibeonites around for some years, so we will have to make a new selection for sacrificial victims.