Previous   Next

Do you feel like spring has finally sprung?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 20, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think this is a trick. It’s the lull before the storm. The cold is going to come back when I least expect it.”

“Hallelujah! I’ve been talking to a lot of people about it today, and I think I’m the only one who’s optimistic enough to think this is really it.”

“I think so. It’s too late into March not to be here.”

“No, I think it’s just leading us on to crush our hopes later.”

Comments

jsuede 6 years, 9 months ago

Saturday Night Mostly cloudy. Chance of rain in the evening... then chance of rain or snow after midnight. Lows in the lower 30s. Chance of precipitation 30 percent.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

I love how Kansas folks have given Mother Nature a truly anthropomorphic personality.
And a wicked mean one, at that.

ms_canada 6 years, 9 months ago

Are you kidding?? fine for you southerners to talk. I still have a three foot high dirty big mound of snow on my patio and I have to look at it everytime I look out my kitchen window. And I have not been able to start my daily walks around my neighbourhood, drat, why did I ever come to this frozen North. I could have stayed in rainy old Vancouver. Hummm, Wellll.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm just going to enjoy today before it gets crappy again this weekend. In 3 weeks we will be complaining about the heat.

Sorry Ms_C! Nothing is worse than a dirty pile of snow. I will take a walk today in our glorious warm sunshine and think of you fondly. Let me know if you are able to feel any of the vibes I'll be sending you. :)

pbusby 6 years, 9 months ago

as a former Lawrencian, now in sunny AZ, I know how you feel about the ugly snow mounds. It's fun to watch it fall, play in it for abit. Thank heaven for spring!!

dajudge 6 years, 9 months ago

It doesn't matter what I think. It remains to be seen. Usually, there's one more snowstorm after the first warm-up, like last year, when all the fruit tree blossoms got froze and there wasn't much in the way of local fruit last year.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

babboy: Probably. I just wonder if folks in other parts of the country or the globe speak in such human terms of Mother Nature lying in wait, lulling you with a false sense of security before blind-siding you.

ms_canada 6 years, 9 months ago

I am feeling warm all over and since you guys are one hour ahead of us, I presume the warmth is emanating from the corpus of sunflower sue as she strolls the hills of Kansas. Muchas gracias, sue.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 9 months ago

For me, it's not spring until the grass and trees are green and flowers are blooming; until then, it's late winter. So since the grass is still quite brown, no, I don't feel like it's spring. Give me a few weeks.

I should probably point out that I actually enjoy winter, so I don't see the departure of snow and cold as a remarkably joyous event. The change is fine because I like having four distinct seasons, but in general, the snow doesn't last quite as long as I'd like.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 9 months ago

It's not spring until flowers bloom...and are frozen when an April cold front moves in!~)

sgtwolverine 6 years, 9 months ago

babboy, the general reaction seems to be more of a shrug. It's been pretty much assumed that he was headed to OSU for a while, and after some of the reports that brought into question his attitude (near-fights at basketball game), most Michigan fans don't really mind not having him in Ann Arbor. If he turns out to be great, it might hurt a bit, but that's a huge question mark; it's going to be unbelievably hard for Pryor to live up to his hype. Apparently his commitment is the biggest sports story in town, too -- newspapers and sports radio are going overboard, from what I'm told -- so he's going to feel big pressure to live up to what may be an unrealistic standard.

As far as M goes, at this point, I don't think Rodriguez really has a run-first quarterback to run his WV-type offense. But in the past, he has run a pass-first offense, and he has a pretty decent (but very untested) passer (Steve Threet) to work with. He does have a more athletic QB coming in his first recruiting class, which is prompting some speculation that he might use two QBs like Florida did with Leak and Tebow, but the assumption is that Threet will be the guy this year. And I'm okay with that -- the beginning may be a bit rough as he plays his first college football games, but I think he'll turn out to be okay. I don't expect a 10- or 11-win season in 2008, but I don't think 2008 will be a distaster, even with the QB issues. Rodriguez brought in a very good recruiting class (except for a top QB), so there's talent to work with.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

Ms_C, I was admiring my blooming crocus earlier and decided to go buy some pansies at the local greenhouse. Now, I'm going to go stick them in a pot and think more warm thoughts of you. :)

GretchenJP 6 years, 9 months ago

Kansas weather... if you don't like it, wait a minute.