Previous   Next

Do you feel like spring has finally sprung?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 20, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think this is a trick. It’s the lull before the storm. The cold is going to come back when I least expect it.”

“Hallelujah! I’ve been talking to a lot of people about it today, and I think I’m the only one who’s optimistic enough to think this is really it.”

“I think so. It’s too late into March not to be here.”

“No, I think it’s just leading us on to crush our hopes later.”

Comments

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 1 month ago

I am enjoying the last heat of summer here in Queensland. I just took a motorbike ride across the northern half of the Gibson desert to get to the northern coast.

I have appriciated many an evening on the western coast of Australia for the last winter stateside. The sharks don't bite the coral is beautiful the Eucalyptus are wonderful, the kangaroos are a pest, the Koalas are cute but smelly, the dingos are funny and stink as well, and the birds are never for lacking as well as a swell from the Indian Ocean. Tasmania was strange as "Pancake Rock" as I got a helicopter ride over and the cuisine is wonderful as well as some plants I cannot identify.

I am so glad that KU afforded me the oppurtunity to study a summer in the Great Barrier Reef. I went surfing as well as snorkeling and studied alongside some incredibly knowledgable people. I did not even have to use any of my spanish or french to get by in the least. : )

The scenery here is quite something. I hope to be back at my apartment in three days after an extended weekend.

cool 6 years, 1 month ago

yes spring has sprung and now it's time to IMPEACH BUSH / CHENEY before the 4th of JULY !

GretchenJP 6 years, 1 month ago

Kansas weather... if you don't like it, wait a minute.

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 1 month ago

jonas, babboy,

People have long thought of Mother Nature as something hostile. I study diaries of the old times, 1700's, 1800's and especially the pioneer ones. Day to day accounts of weather, prices, etc. They all view nature as both something hostile, and yet praise the good times. And of course, they say God is responsible for whatever happens.

On the other hand, living here in the tornado ravaged area of Lawrence, I don't hear the same type of comments from those hit. Just more of a Wow, that sure tore the hell out of the place, and aren't we lucky.

prospector 6 years, 1 month ago

Why does this question make me think of Inmate? I won't feel sprung until I see the season's first Trap Door Buffalo.

Jonas, could it result from that 1970's "It's not nice to fool mother nature." margarine ad? I do hear a lot of people calling her a female dog, usually it is someone just whining like one.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

Ms_C, I was admiring my blooming crocus earlier and decided to go buy some pansies at the local greenhouse. Now, I'm going to go stick them in a pot and think more warm thoughts of you. :)

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

babboy, the general reaction seems to be more of a shrug. It's been pretty much assumed that he was headed to OSU for a while, and after some of the reports that brought into question his attitude (near-fights at basketball game), most Michigan fans don't really mind not having him in Ann Arbor. If he turns out to be great, it might hurt a bit, but that's a huge question mark; it's going to be unbelievably hard for Pryor to live up to his hype. Apparently his commitment is the biggest sports story in town, too -- newspapers and sports radio are going overboard, from what I'm told -- so he's going to feel big pressure to live up to what may be an unrealistic standard.

As far as M goes, at this point, I don't think Rodriguez really has a run-first quarterback to run his WV-type offense. But in the past, he has run a pass-first offense, and he has a pretty decent (but very untested) passer (Steve Threet) to work with. He does have a more athletic QB coming in his first recruiting class, which is prompting some speculation that he might use two QBs like Florida did with Leak and Tebow, but the assumption is that Threet will be the guy this year. And I'm okay with that -- the beginning may be a bit rough as he plays his first college football games, but I think he'll turn out to be okay. I don't expect a 10- or 11-win season in 2008, but I don't think 2008 will be a distaster, even with the QB issues. Rodriguez brought in a very good recruiting class (except for a top QB), so there's talent to work with.

JJE007 6 years, 1 month ago

It's not spring until flowers bloom...and are frozen when an April cold front moves in!~)

BABBOY 6 years, 1 month ago

Jonas, interesting point. I would say anywhere the weather changes so abruptly would have the same sense of distrust of mother nature. That could be a lot of the mainland United States.

Sarge, how are the locals handling Pryor going to OSU? I think your coach will have the last laugh. He did pretty well at West Virginia. Does he have a QB to run his style of game? It will be interesting to see what he does until he gets his style of players in there....

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

For me, it's not spring until the grass and trees are green and flowers are blooming; until then, it's late winter. So since the grass is still quite brown, no, I don't feel like it's spring. Give me a few weeks.

I should probably point out that I actually enjoy winter, so I don't see the departure of snow and cold as a remarkably joyous event. The change is fine because I like having four distinct seasons, but in general, the snow doesn't last quite as long as I'd like.

ms_canada 6 years, 1 month ago

I am feeling warm all over and since you guys are one hour ahead of us, I presume the warmth is emanating from the corpus of sunflower sue as she strolls the hills of Kansas. Muchas gracias, sue.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

babboy: Probably. I just wonder if folks in other parts of the country or the globe speak in such human terms of Mother Nature lying in wait, lulling you with a false sense of security before blind-siding you.

dajudge 6 years, 1 month ago

It doesn't matter what I think. It remains to be seen. Usually, there's one more snowstorm after the first warm-up, like last year, when all the fruit tree blossoms got froze and there wasn't much in the way of local fruit last year.

le 6 years, 1 month ago

yup...the japanese maple in the back yard started blooming 3 weeks ago,we started grillin at the back yard bar/kitchen watchin t.v. on the outdoor bar flat screen since mid feb.even saw hummingbirds last week! im puttin on my shorts and flip-flops again today and going wine tasting on the outdoor patio at the local vinyard!wente vinyard that is....oh yeah i forgot im not in kansas anymore!im in sunny livermore california....yall enjoy the unpredictable weather back there in "larryville"...im not as optimistic as jennifer is...the trees in n.e. kansas have takin a beatin the last coupla years!as soon as they start to bloom (bash) cold front rolls in and kicks their butts!save me some of that dirty snow!if it wasnt for missing my kids i would never leave!

BABBOY 6 years, 1 month ago

Jonas:

I would think the tornados that hit Greensberg, Hoisington, and Andover in the last decade or so pretty clearly justify giving mother nature a mean personality.

pbusby 6 years, 1 month ago

as a former Lawrencian, now in sunny AZ, I know how you feel about the ugly snow mounds. It's fun to watch it fall, play in it for abit. Thank heaven for spring!!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm just going to enjoy today before it gets crappy again this weekend. In 3 weeks we will be complaining about the heat.

Sorry Ms_C! Nothing is worse than a dirty pile of snow. I will take a walk today in our glorious warm sunshine and think of you fondly. Let me know if you are able to feel any of the vibes I'll be sending you. :)

ms_canada 6 years, 1 month ago

Are you kidding?? fine for you southerners to talk. I still have a three foot high dirty big mound of snow on my patio and I have to look at it everytime I look out my kitchen window. And I have not been able to start my daily walks around my neighbourhood, drat, why did I ever come to this frozen North. I could have stayed in rainy old Vancouver. Hummm, Wellll.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

I love how Kansas folks have given Mother Nature a truly anthropomorphic personality.
And a wicked mean one, at that.

jsuede 6 years, 1 month ago

Saturday Night Mostly cloudy. Chance of rain in the evening... then chance of rain or snow after midnight. Lows in the lower 30s. Chance of precipitation 30 percent.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 1 month ago

At least until the next cold front.