Previous   Next

Do you usually participate in an office pool for the NCAA Tournament?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 19, 2008

Browse the archives

“Not really. I’m always too late for those. They didn’t really do any at my old job.”

“Yeah, pretty much every year. It’s usually only 25 or 30 coworkers.”

“I don’t work in an office, but I would do one if I had the chance. My husband does, though, and my family has their own pool that I participate in.”

“No. We do one at home and it’s always really fun. My kids are already done with theirs. I haven’t filled mine out yet, but I’m going to have KU and UCLA in the finals.”

Comments

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

I can't shake the feeling that you could put James Medina in a military suit and a pair of over-large glasses and he would make a passable impression of a younger Kim Jong-il.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I used to at my old job, but, here, nobody remembers to bring a towel. It's no fun sitting around soaking wet the rest of the day after taking a dip in the office pool without having a towel to dry off with.

Ceallach 6 years, 5 months ago

When I was in an academic department we had a pool every March. Never won but it was great fun. Also, a while ago enochville put OTS posters onto an online pool, I tried again, didn't win that either! But now I'm in an administrative office and we are far too fine for anything like that :P

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm saying the Our Lady of the Plains Fighting Prairie Squids will take it all.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 5 months ago

We had an annual NFL pool at my old job. Half of the weekly money went to the weekly winner, the other half went into a pot for the end-of-the-season winner - usually hundreds of dollars. A couple of weeks before the end of the season, the chick holding the money was fired. She took the money with her. That was the last year for the office pool.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

No, I've never worked in an office that had someone running a pool. However, for years my brother has been running a pool for family and friends, and I always participate in that. In fact, I'll be filling out my brackets today.

So really, I guess my answer now is yes, my one-person office is participating in a pool.

dajudge 6 years, 5 months ago

500 quat-loos on the newcomers. No, not this year, though I do the one at espn.com.

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

Off and on during the years, depending where I worked. One job about 13 years ago, had a HUGE office pool. I was told I did pretty good -for a girl. Another job had a very small pool, and I did okay for the most part. In 2005, I had every single selection correct in the first round, EXCEPT Kansas.
Now, I play in a pool with friends, and it helps raise money for charity. I have never won, though.
I am having problems with it this year. Hope to have it finished tonight.

notajayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

"Not really. I'm always too late for those."

Yeah, for some reason the other pool members think it's unfair if you wait until after the second weekend to fill out your bracket.

The last time I won the pool was in 2006, when not a single number one seed went to the Final Four. Not because I had made such excellent picks, but because after the second weekend every other person in the pool was out! I was the only one in the pool who had Florida beating Villanova, although I had them losing the next game. It was pretty amusing, I was watching the Fla-'Nova game in the Minneapolis regional, and flipping through everyone else's brackets (we did it online), and realized that after the Gators won I would be in the lead with the entire pool finished a week early. The money was even spent before the Final Four.

riverdrifter 6 years, 5 months ago

le, ChristmasCarol, Just_stop_sipping_the_bong_water.

notajayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I certainly hope everyone's brackets are doing okay so far - eight games and eight favorites won. This could turn out to be an exceptionally boring tournament at this rate.