Previous   Next

Do you usually participate in an office pool for the NCAA Tournament?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 19, 2008

Browse the archives

“Not really. I’m always too late for those. They didn’t really do any at my old job.”

“Yeah, pretty much every year. It’s usually only 25 or 30 coworkers.”

“I don’t work in an office, but I would do one if I had the chance. My husband does, though, and my family has their own pool that I participate in.”

“No. We do one at home and it’s always really fun. My kids are already done with theirs. I haven’t filled mine out yet, but I’m going to have KU and UCLA in the finals.”

Comments

notajayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

I certainly hope everyone's brackets are doing okay so far - eight games and eight favorites won. This could turn out to be an exceptionally boring tournament at this rate.

le 6 years, 1 month ago

riverdrifter: i m sure bong water is safer than the river water you been drinkin!im sure i peed in that 2!

riverdrifter 6 years, 1 month ago

le, ChristmasCarol, Just_stop_sipping_the_bong_water.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 1 month ago

It's okay. I just had a King Kone if you can find out that is a Drumstick from a different company without the rights to sell in Ice Cream trucks.

le 6 years, 1 month ago

x-mas carol...puff puff ...pass, sorry best i can do...im still workin on my organic "fatty" n those organic oreos!

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey that is great le

le, someone that has some sense. Can you pass me the O.J.? I will take that without my steriod regiment.

le 6 years, 1 month ago

i peed in the pool once!...personally i think sports are outta control ! all of them are overpaid and you keep feeding the monkeys...i would rather put my money into educators pockets,they teach our children the important stuff while your sports heroes are teaching them ..greed and how to buy your way out of trouble with the law!only way to bring these steroid using,wife beaters back to reality is 2 stop throwing your money at them ! boycott! boycott! well...gotta go...i think i`ll go watch some real sports! i think theres a hot dog contest on the telly......

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 1 month ago

No. Even if no money is involved, it is still gambling.

notajayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

"Not really. I'm always too late for those."

Yeah, for some reason the other pool members think it's unfair if you wait until after the second weekend to fill out your bracket.

The last time I won the pool was in 2006, when not a single number one seed went to the Final Four. Not because I had made such excellent picks, but because after the second weekend every other person in the pool was out! I was the only one in the pool who had Florida beating Villanova, although I had them losing the next game. It was pretty amusing, I was watching the Fla-'Nova game in the Minneapolis regional, and flipping through everyone else's brackets (we did it online), and realized that after the Gators won I would be in the lead with the entire pool finished a week early. The money was even spent before the Final Four.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 1 month ago

By the way OTSSWEEPER, I don't have time to drink and put me down for $50 on the lemurs, lemmings cannot do anything by themselves they need peer support and to belong to everybody so bad they would not think they were doing the right thing if everybody else was not doing it.

Lemmings are the kind of people that look over on your desk as you are taking a test and try to copy what you have because they are not feeling sufficient themselves, they are most likely to become gnomes or donkeys like in Pinocchio.

the lemurs have a flexible tail so they might have a chance.

I have always wanted to hi-jack a car pool. Have you ever had a car pool. they go wonderful in the backyard next to Tommy's art project. All stone and plants and things. We got one when we lived in Modesto, California and it was great. All kinds of long necked flamingos would come roost in next to the pool, we hardly had enough salt for them to lick but they liked all the fish in bikinis'

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 1 month ago

I ate a pear and then turned to Jed with his McDonald's hamburger and asked him if he heard the latest from that local rock group that was about to bust the charts. He said, "No?" as if shocked by the news.

I reflected to him of the days when I skated with my pals and made custom grip tape and those sacred days of summer next to when I was going to graduate school. We left the office and went into the dark room and he told me of his days listening to the Who and "teenage wasteland".

Oh how talented was the photo of the album cover I brought in to duplicate.

So I went without an album cover from then on. I am sure I could have had it signed at the concert they put on but instead the other got the shirt.

So as we did the half pipe on our boards I asked him who Tony Hawk was and he said to me that it was all the same being sponsored by Powell Peralta. Maybe The Psycho stick was not enough but Trek bikes has not called back yet.

I forgot, oh yeah a party at the office pool sounds nice. Is that before or after we bike the Arches National Park? Can we afford the deluxe suite?

Or does everybody at the office have to be the same and do the same thing.

I guess to catch that game and all the others I would have to skip band practice or skip a day on the trails. It is pretty hard.

Will you buy the pizza?

An office pool party sounds great, where are the girls?

mom_of_three 6 years, 1 month ago

Off and on during the years, depending where I worked. One job about 13 years ago, had a HUGE office pool. I was told I did pretty good -for a girl. Another job had a very small pool, and I did okay for the most part. In 2005, I had every single selection correct in the first round, EXCEPT Kansas.
Now, I play in a pool with friends, and it helps raise money for charity. I have never won, though.
I am having problems with it this year. Hope to have it finished tonight.

prospector 6 years, 1 month ago

Who's asking?

Are you a cop or from HR?

dajudge 6 years, 1 month ago

500 quat-loos on the newcomers. No, not this year, though I do the one at espn.com.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

No, I've never worked in an office that had someone running a pool. However, for years my brother has been running a pool for family and friends, and I always participate in that. In fact, I'll be filling out my brackets today.

So really, I guess my answer now is yes, my one-person office is participating in a pool.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 1 month ago

We had an annual NFL pool at my old job. Half of the weekly money went to the weekly winner, the other half went into a pot for the end-of-the-season winner - usually hundreds of dollars. A couple of weeks before the end of the season, the chick holding the money was fired. She took the money with her. That was the last year for the office pool.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm saying the Our Lady of the Plains Fighting Prairie Squids will take it all.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, probably a good idea to go lighter on the lemmings. They have a tendency to quit before the game is over.

Ceallach 6 years, 1 month ago

When I was in an academic department we had a pool every March. Never won but it was great fun. Also, a while ago enochville put OTS posters onto an online pool, I tried again, didn't win that either! But now I'm in an administrative office and we are far too fine for anything like that :P

ohjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

I used to at my old job, but, here, nobody remembers to bring a towel. It's no fun sitting around soaking wet the rest of the day after taking a dip in the office pool without having a towel to dry off with.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

I can't shake the feeling that you could put James Medina in a military suit and a pair of over-large glasses and he would make a passable impression of a younger Kim Jong-il.

OTSSweeper 6 years, 1 month ago

Obviously, posting after drinking is a bad idea.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 1 month ago

I entered a bet in an insurance pool and won against Wilcoxson and Counts, but they never paid up and the bookie Willer collected the monies and left.

It was in Junior High and he wanted us to bet on all kinds of sports. I donot know if he thought I was made of money but I only entered with one dollar. So he named it McCarthy '76, after some dude that sold insurance.