Previous   Next

How many Big 12 Tournament victories do you think KU needs to receive a No. 1 seed?

Asked at Jefferson's Restaurant, 743 Mass. on March 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“At least two. I think they can get away with not winning the whole thing and still get a No. 1 seed as long as Texas doesn’t win it.”

“I think they have to win the tournament. We’re fifth right now, and we have to make a statement with Duke and North Carolina where they’re at. I think all the No. 1 seeds need to win their conference tournament.”

“I would say they have to at least get to the championship. And if they end up playing Texas, they have to win it.”

“I’d say two because I don’t think the other teams in the tournament have as much potential as we do.”

Comments

mumbojumbo 6 years, 7 months ago

i don't think we can get a number one even if we win the whole thing. We aren't from the east or west coast.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm with you, H_L, I think they need to win it all (and probably have someone else lose) in order to get a 1 seed. Although, I think the difference between being a 1 or a 2 seed is not as much as it's made out to be. In fact, I think that a 1 seed has quite a bit more expectations on them than a 2 seed does.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 7 months ago

it's been said over the years that the committee makes all their decisions before the Big 12 tournament championship game is over... and I believe that... so... the answer is 2... but I don't think that gives them a number 1 seed... unless one of these teams loses earlier... North Carolina, Tennessee, UCLA or Memphis... I think these teams are locks if they don't lose...

now... next year the Big 12 tournament will start on Wednesday and finish on Saturday which will help the tournament champ with their seed...

gccs14r 6 years, 7 months ago

Why would KU want a #1 seed? That'd be just one more record for KU to break, the one of a #1 seed never losing in the first round of the Tournament.

janeyb 6 years, 7 months ago

I always love when people who post on here accuse people who post on here of not having a life because they post on here.

KU has to win 3.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 7 months ago

With Lew as athletic director they can go out in the first round (but won't).

thomgreen 6 years, 7 months ago

I'd rather be number 2 in the Midwest and play in Omaha.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

They need at least two victories to prove they have lives. Otherwise, they'll be no better than the people who post here.

notajayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

It's not just a matter of wins, but also a matter of who else loses, like some others have said. A couple of the ESPN experts were saying last night that IF KU and Texas play each other in the finals of the Big-12, the winner could get a #1 seed; in other words, just winning the 3 games alone wouldn't be enough, KU would have to specifically beat Texas in the final game. And that may not be enough. None of the major sports guru organizations have either one as a #1 right now, everybody seems to think it's inevitable that Memphis, UCLA, UNC, and UCLA are going to be it unless someone stumbles. And then you also have to worry about who beats them, like if Duke beats UNC. This is not an objective process, there is a lot of bias and opinion involved on the part of the selection committee, and right or wrong it's unlikely KU will be above a #2 seed.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 7 months ago

They must win the Big 12 Tournament

MaryKatesPillStash 6 years, 7 months ago

Stuckinthemiddle, you are right in that, for the most part, the selection committee makes their choices before the Big 12 championship game on Sunday.

At times when a Big 12 team has a chance to break into a 1 seed, however, the result of the championship game is factored into their decision. This was revealed in 2006, when the committee awarded KU a 1 seed only after defeating Texas in the championship game.

This season is eerily similar to that season.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

Prospector, How about I just make apple? That other stuff wil never fit on my list.

riverdrifter 6 years, 7 months ago

I agree 100% with Thomgreen's 927am post. A one seed just puts a more prominent bullseye on them. Better to fly under the radar at Omaha with a two, methinks.

Calliope877 6 years, 7 months ago

I still say wild animals killing and eating child molesters inside of an arena would be much more entertaining and benefical to society...but I guess Basketball will do.:)

yes...I have issues...

Calliope877 6 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, I meant "beneficial" for all you grammar police @ssholes.