Previous   Next

What is the most physical thing you’ve done for charity?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 13, 2008

Browse the archives

“I was on a five-person Walk for Life team that collectively walked for 24 hours.”

“I’ve helped build houses for Habitat for Humanity several times. I did some framing, lots of painting and a little roofing.”

“I was sponsored for a walk for cancer research about six years ago.”

“I helped clean the St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center. We cleaned it inside and out, and raked up all the leaves in the yard.”

Comments

BigPrune 6 years, 1 month ago

Sat on a toilet for 2 years.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

Good lord! Censors must not have had much to do later last evening.

GretchenJP 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow, so many people censored for violeting the blogging rules on a charity thread! My naughty, naughty Lawrence friends.

Mariann 6 years, 1 month ago

I ran.....I ran so far away.....................

openminded 6 years, 1 month ago

I have walked 2 60 mile walks for breast cancer and many 5K Race for the Cures. I can't seem to do enough for breast cancer research.

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 1 month ago

And lose your honor role privileges R_I.

I can't believe they took me out too. I guess they thought if they were going to hang three of you, mine had to go too. LOL.

I notice they didn't check back later to get the "ex" post.

I linked this to a friend who wrote back, "I guess those men don't realize that 98% of the sex women give is charity work!"

blue73harley 6 years, 1 month ago

R_I, Jonas, et al - just be glad you didn't get disappearadeded. Dolly_paw_paw appears to be gone. I think it was quite fittngly the toilet seat article that did the job.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 1 month ago

Buy Skittles®...

That be my second tier answer.

notnowdear 6 years, 1 month ago

Took a day to tour devestated Greenburg and give money to people I came across there. DooDoo on FEMA. These people got some money that they sorely needed, and not from FEMA.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

An intern must be at the controls of Site Staff today.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 1 month ago

I feel so... censored. So... violated.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

I've done the walks and the bike-a-thons, but probably the most physical thing was playing in a Gunny-ball tournament. (Just think co-ed softball in gunnysacks.) It was for MDA and it was crazy fun! What I remember most was that I slammed one out center, rounded the bases (best I could) and was headed home for my moment of glory. It was going to be tight so I slid in (or maybe I just fell) on my belly. I got tagged out. I also got a strawberry that started on my chin and went clear to my knees. Ah! Good times...

I've thought of organizing a charity tournament myself, but I either lack the time or just the gumption. However, if anyone else wants to get one going, I'll gladly pay to play. Just holler!

Crossfire 6 years, 1 month ago

I was going to participate in the 2006 Ness City Toilet Seat Setting Marathon but decided I had better stuff to do. I hear they have a Winner. "Take my toilet seat...only when you pry it from my cold dead a..."

autie 6 years, 1 month ago

uhh...pushed the button on my remote control when the Jerry Lewis thing came on. Or hung up the phone when the Kansas State Association of Police Chiefs called...both pretty straining.

schula 6 years, 1 month ago

I agree with oldvet and dminear60 -- donating blood is one of the best charity types of work you can do. I have given 40 pints (5 gallons). Thanks for reminding me it is time to donate again.

dminear60 6 years, 1 month ago

oldvet: Thank you for reminding me about donating blood. I have donated every two months for the last 13 years. Now, I can stop feeling bad about writing a check as opposed to doing something that requires effort on my part. I urge all of you that can to donate blood. The blood bank always needs to replinish their supply.

dajudge 6 years, 1 month ago

oldvet 6 years, 1 month ago

Laid down on a table, rolled up my sleeve and gave a pint of blood... 21 times so far and still going strong...

coolmarv 6 years, 1 month ago

Sorry to break the chain and give a straight answer here.

Cleaning Allen Fieldhouse after a KU Men's basketball game come to mind. All that paper the students throw looks cool but you can't imagine what a job it is to clean up afterwards. You also have to mop the entire seating section. I am sure I have done other more physical things for chairty but the fieldhouse cleanings take about 8 hours for our group.

cool 6 years, 1 month ago

helped to place straw bales building a straw bale house at Aspen Center for Environmental Studies in Colorado.

thomgreen 6 years, 1 month ago

Walking a few cubicles down to bum a quarter from a fellow worker.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Let's just say that a floor-to-ceiling brass pole was involved.

dminear60 6 years, 1 month ago

blue73harley: I was going to say write a check but I was a little embarrassed. Thank you blue73harley, there is at least safety in numbers!

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 1 month ago

Sex with the ex is definitely charity!

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

R_I went done and outdid himself this morning.

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey, they started it! At least I commented on the subject. LOL

Have they ever pulled an OTS when it goes astray so soon?

moveforward 6 years, 1 month ago

there was so much potential here?!?!

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 1 month ago

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 1 month ago

Tear apart a house with a sledgehammer, board by board, using my whole body for the swing. Building a house is easier work. Good therapy for the divorce arena.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago