Previous   Next

Do you consider yourself to be well prepared for tornado season?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 11, 2008

Browse the archives

“I guess so. I have all the supplies and a basement room without windows, but I’m absolutely terrified of tornadoes. I feel like I can’t be prepared enough.”

“Yes. We have a safe place to go with a radio, flashlight, some candles and plenty of wine. My wife grew up on a farm, so she’s always watching the weather. We’re pretty tuned in to what’s going on.”

“No. If a tornado struck, I wouldn’t have any of the necessities. I don’t even think I have a flashlight. I don’t know what I would do.”

“No. We’ve got flashlights and a radio and everything, but it’s all somewhere in the garage. We should probably get it all together in the basement.”

Comments

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes. I'm ready to live or die...don't see any other option. I always run when I hear the sirens...OUTSIDE! I love to watch the storms roll in.

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 8 months ago

I keep putting off cutting a trap door into my crawl space. I refuse to go back into the closet.

KansasEqualityCoalition.org

Flap Doodle 6 years, 8 months ago

I've been doing yoga so I can bend over & kiss my _ _ _ goodbye.

ksdivakat 6 years, 8 months ago

I LOVE storm season! I love to spot and chase (as long as its safe) but we also have a safe place to go, should one hit, I love the adreneline rush that it brings and most importantly I love the pics that I can take of the storms. By the way blueharley.....congrats on sparing the little one from becoming road pizza!!!

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

No basement, just crawlspace under the stairs. No, we're not ready for a tornado. But if there is a threat, I get ready in a jiffy. I am also one of those who would love to watch the clouds, but it drives my hubby crazy.

trinity 6 years, 8 months ago

i live in a trailer. need i say more? :)

jonas 6 years, 8 months ago

Sure! Got my binoculars, a six-pack, and a nice pair of running shoes. All set.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 8 months ago

Well, I'm not sure. I haven't really been following the sport, so I don't know how good Kansas is supposed to be this season. Besides, Michigan isn't very good at it, so I never have much reason to follow it anyway.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 8 months ago

Expanding on Katie's advice about the child safety seats, I have procured a roller-coaster car that seats 4. Getting it down to the basement was not easy, but I think the effort will pay off come tornado season.

adriennerm 6 years, 8 months ago

No I'm not ready for a tornado. I moved here from Chicago. When they spotted one by Hy-Vee last year on the 4th of July; I almost *#@) myself. I was in my closet for the remainder of the day. Just me and my handheld radio. My daughter had to bait me out with a steak.

wysiwyg69 6 years, 8 months ago

I will be ok,I just took a shower, so I will just kiss my ass good-bye

billbodiggens 6 years, 8 months ago

Let's see... have new batteries in my video camera... yep, I'm ready......

hopper 6 years, 8 months ago

Yep. Everything is in the basement and ready to be used.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, I'm prepared... to jump in my car and go after the things. A friend of mine and I actually chased the 2003 Lawrence tornado from out near Overbrook all the way to Lawrence where we saw it hit the apartment buildings. It was pretty surreal, as it was not only my first tornado, but it also tore some things up right before my eyes. I've seen numerous funnel cloud touch-downs and wall clouds since then, but I have yet to track another full-fledged tornado.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 8 months ago

R_T - what did the coconuts tree say during the hurricane?

I will run to my basement and crouch around all my handweights and pool cues I have stored by the window. I think I will be OK. Then I'll just crawl under my spousal unit!

Kat Christian 6 years, 8 months ago

I have no basement. Question: Why has Lawrence built so many houses without basements, especially being in tornado alley? Anyway, There is absolutely no place to go in my house. I have 3 closets and all of them are packed to the hilt with stuff. It would take me half hour to clean them out just to sit in them which they aren't big enough to get one adult, a child and a 60lb dog and a cat. My house is very, very small and a one level house and I wouldn't be caught dead in the crawl space with all those bugs and spiders. That would seem more dangerous to me. So I'm just hoping for the neighbor - they have a basement and pray we make it over to their house in time and that they are home. If not, welllllllllllllllllllllllllll don't know PRAY I guess. It is scary isn't it?

coolmom 6 years, 8 months ago

yep, i have rope, goggles, a six pack and bbq otter steaks. i think its a go.

Layne Moore 6 years, 8 months ago

Considering a tornado can come out of the sky throw a Volvo at me at 200 miles per hour, I'm probably as prepared as the next guy. Ron White said it best... "it's not THAT the wind is a blowin.. it's WHAT the wind is a blowin."

sunflower_sue 6 years, 8 months ago

Does anyone else think that Brittani looks a little too much like Katie Tornado?

gogoplata 6 years, 8 months ago

I watched Twister last week, so I'm ready.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 8 months ago

I have a front porch which serves will as an observation platform. I accidently drove directly forward the tornado that hit K-mart many years back it scared the heck out of me but I still go outside to watch and listen instead of taking cover.

K_Verses_The_World 6 years, 8 months ago

Nahum 1:3 The LORD is slow to anger and great in power; the LORD will not leave the guilty unpunished. His way is in the whirlwind and the storm, and clouds are the dust of his feet.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 8 months ago

Py, I bought it from snap...just one of his many business enterprises.
We also have a cd player (battery, of course) cued to blast Aerosmith so that it feels just like Disney World.

jonas 6 years, 8 months ago

BABBOY: It would be okay, except that jonus is one of my evil clones, half-man, half-machine.

GretchenJP 6 years, 8 months ago

"Yes. We have a safe place to go with a radio, flashlight, some candles and plenty of wine."

• Steve Knoll, retreat center owner, Topeka

Now THAT'S prepared!

coolmom 6 years, 8 months ago

RI, thats funny. i guess i am prepared for more things than i thought lol.

SpeedRacer 6 years, 8 months ago

Yep. Got my ripped boxers and flannel robe and been practicing saying "It was pandelerium!" To the news crew.

Ceallach 6 years, 8 months ago

Same as usual so no not really. A closet big enough for my hairy children and myself. It's worked for several decades so I think we will be okay. Besides, I am a total believer in timing. If it's your time no shelter will be adequate.

What did we do to deserve such a cheery question?

Ceallach 6 years, 8 months ago

SpeedRacer, if you don't have removable teeth you probably won't even get on camera :)

Flap Doodle 6 years, 8 months ago

Speaking of various enterprises, I want to say that Snap's Pleather Barn had nothing to do with the Pleather gear featured in the new PETA ad campaign. I dare not include a link.