Previous   Next

What do you do to get together and stay in touch with friends?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 9, 2008

Browse the archives

“We have a dinner club where we get together and take turns cooking with a theme.”

“We get together and play Canasta and other card games at each other’s houses. Our kids play together while the adults are playing cards.”

“We usually meet up at a bookstore coffee shop and talk about politics. We just send e-mails or text messages to organize it.”

“I have a creativity and spirituality group that I get together with. We try to plan monthly meetings, but don’t always get around to it with everyone’s busy schedule.”

Comments

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

sgt, aren't you due for another trip? I missed the last gathering.

ms_canada also owes Lawrence another trip! As much as we complain about our weather (at least i do) we have fared better than Edmonton :) Come on down and warm up!

Or we could all head south and chat with snap.

QOTD: Most commonly by email, occasionally a telephone call and dinner together.

alm77 6 years, 4 months ago

Cookout. We provide the burgers and dogs everyone else brings drinks and a dish to share. Lots of good conversation.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

Dinner, Drink, Dodgeball...not necessarily in that order.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm all for going down to see OMB's lemur operation. Then, when the weather turns hot, we will go up north to check out sgt's gear (camera), then on up to Edmonton to get a home cooked meal. Anybody got a few months off?

ohjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

I have to admit this question hits pretty close to home for me right now. Tomorrow marks the three week anniversary of my dad's sudden passing at a much too young age. He and my mom have such an amazing group of friends with whom they graduated high school. They are so close, in fact, that they have a class reunion every year. Most of them get together for dinner at least once/month, and they are all there for each other no matter what the need. I'm so glad that my mom has such a wonderful support group to help her through this. It has also helped me realize how valuable friends are and that I need to keep in touch better with my friends to let them know how much they mean to me. I know it's cliche, but you really don't know what can happen any given minute.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I just felt the need to pass this along to help work out some still very raw emotions inside me.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

Ceal, I'd love to make it down there again and actually spend more than a few hours in the area; last time, I got there early Sunday afternoon and left way way WAY too early Monday morning. I know my friend would like to make another trip there, too; maybe we'll work something out.

Or you all could take sue's suggestion and take a vacation north to Ann Arbor!

Dixie Jones 6 years, 4 months ago

right thinker aint it time for our table for two?

GretchenJP 6 years, 4 months ago

Massachusetts Street is looking weirder everyday. I travel to Lawrence from Ottawa to see my friends.

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

ohjayhawk, my sympathy to you and your family at the loss of your father. My father has been gone for 3 years now, it doesn't seem possible that it has been that long. I visit my mother as often as possible, but with her 1100 miles away it can be challenging so we talk regularly on the phone. My father frequently called all of his children. He loved his cell phone, free long distance was a real savings for him since he had 8 children to keep up with! He really knew how to keep in touch. Consequently, even though he has gone before us, his children, grandchildren and great-grandchild will often laugh and talk about what Grandpa would have said about this or that. (He was always generous with his smiles and opinions:)

Godot 6 years, 4 months ago

Try to finish each others' sentences.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

sunny_sue, in a couple of weeks, spring will be in full swing & the bull lemurs will be out looking for love in all the wrong places.

Yes, I know it's a monkey & not a lemur. Go with the flow.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Thank you for all your sympathies. Py, you are so right about things being different today. It seems people just don't stay in touch as much with others anymore. Kind of ironic with all of today's technologies that make it so much easier to keep in touch (cell phones, e-mail, etc). Maybe because we have the ability to talk with others more easily makes it less valuable in our minds? I don't know, just a speculation, but thank you all again. I appreciate all of your kind thoughts.