Previous   Next

What do you do to get together and stay in touch with friends?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 9, 2008

Browse the archives

“We have a dinner club where we get together and take turns cooking with a theme.”

“We get together and play Canasta and other card games at each other’s houses. Our kids play together while the adults are playing cards.”

“We usually meet up at a bookstore coffee shop and talk about politics. We just send e-mails or text messages to organize it.”

“I have a creativity and spirituality group that I get together with. We try to plan monthly meetings, but don’t always get around to it with everyone’s busy schedule.”

Comments

ohjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Thank you for all your sympathies. Py, you are so right about things being different today. It seems people just don't stay in touch as much with others anymore. Kind of ironic with all of today's technologies that make it so much easier to keep in touch (cell phones, e-mail, etc). Maybe because we have the ability to talk with others more easily makes it less valuable in our minds? I don't know, just a speculation, but thank you all again. I appreciate all of your kind thoughts.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 1 month ago

In a few weeks, Snap Crackup pop will have another lie to defend when he looks up John Bonhams alma mater and chases him to Pitt State.

I know that John was actually the drummer for Ed Zepplin but go with the flow.

Dig it? 911 Ohio and Melissa Etheridge. See ya Mike.

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 1 month ago

I forgot..using strong sticks beating on hollow logs.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

sunny_sue, in a couple of weeks, spring will be in full swing & the bull lemurs will be out looking for love in all the wrong places.

Yes, I know it's a monkey & not a lemur. Go with the flow.

Godot 6 years, 1 month ago

Try to finish each others' sentences.

Ceallach 6 years, 1 month ago

ohjayhawk, my sympathy to you and your family at the loss of your father. My father has been gone for 3 years now, it doesn't seem possible that it has been that long. I visit my mother as often as possible, but with her 1100 miles away it can be challenging so we talk regularly on the phone. My father frequently called all of his children. He loved his cell phone, free long distance was a real savings for him since he had 8 children to keep up with! He really knew how to keep in touch. Consequently, even though he has gone before us, his children, grandchildren and great-grandchild will often laugh and talk about what Grandpa would have said about this or that. (He was always generous with his smiles and opinions:)

GretchenJP 6 years, 1 month ago

Massachusetts Street is looking weirder everyday. I travel to Lawrence from Ottawa to see my friends.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 1 month ago

Sure wish I had had sunflower sue for a friend.

The kids I grew up with tried to kill me.

I have volleyball, badminton, racquetball, marbles, jacks, and various other things to do and only just now found one person to do them with.

Seeing as how I lived in the Sunfowler house when I was in Lawrence with 28 other people that is pretty pathetic.

I do not see any of the people I know previous to the age of 33 and that is basically family.

Unfortuantely the way my life went and was planned by other people that is how it is.

Sorry, hopefully some of you have a better situation than I did.

Feel fortunate with the people that you have around you. Get out and enjoy the sunshine.

It will feel good.

Pywacket 6 years, 1 month ago

Sgt~ I'm so there!

Actually, AA is on our short list for when we finally are able to relocate. The man of the house is terrified at the thought of longer, colder winters, but I think the housing bargains in MI should make up for it. Assuming we can get our place here sold, we can buy up at a lower price & afford to spend a week in Florida or Mexico (or Edmonton!) now & then.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 1 month ago

right thinker aint it time for our table for two?

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

Ceal, I'd love to make it down there again and actually spend more than a few hours in the area; last time, I got there early Sunday afternoon and left way way WAY too early Monday morning. I know my friend would like to make another trip there, too; maybe we'll work something out.

Or you all could take sue's suggestion and take a vacation north to Ann Arbor!

Pywacket 6 years, 1 month ago

ohjayhawk~ Deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved father. I lost mine in June, so much of what you say resonates! During the week of my dad's passing, one of the only comforts we had was the loving presence of so many of his good friends. I remembered some of those guys from when I was just a kid and the tears and reminiscences of those 60-something and 70-something men and women were a beautiful tribute to the power and importance of long-time friendship.

Our society has really changed in just a few decades. My father's generation was much more likely to settle into a company and stay there until retirement. Not so my generation. Companies disloyally shove out older (higher-salaried) employees to hire new grads for a fraction of the pay & benefits. We are more mobile, and think nothing of moving 1000 miles for work. Etc. These and other factors make it harder to sustain lifelong friendships. But it is so worth it if you can do so. Make the effort and don't let those people you had such great times with slip out of your life.

Not to put too depressing a point on it (or to overlook the many other obvious benefits of retaining friends), once we're gone, it will be a great comfort to our children to have those older folks there to say, "One time, when your mom/dad and I were about 25, ..... " They will cherish those stories. I have had the same best friend since I was four. I feel incredibly lucky and honored to be her friend, and I selfishly hope she outlives me so she will be there when my children need her.

thinker 6 years, 1 month ago

What would we do without cell phones? My friends and I are always talking or texing. There is always someone with an idea get us together. Sometimes everyone makes it but if not we still have FUN!!!!

ohjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

I have to admit this question hits pretty close to home for me right now. Tomorrow marks the three week anniversary of my dad's sudden passing at a much too young age. He and my mom have such an amazing group of friends with whom they graduated high school. They are so close, in fact, that they have a class reunion every year. Most of them get together for dinner at least once/month, and they are all there for each other no matter what the need. I'm so glad that my mom has such a wonderful support group to help her through this. It has also helped me realize how valuable friends are and that I need to keep in touch better with my friends to let them know how much they mean to me. I know it's cliche, but you really don't know what can happen any given minute.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I just felt the need to pass this along to help work out some still very raw emotions inside me.

cool 6 years, 1 month ago

usually involves travel since many are in Colorado & New Mexico and Kansas City.... so i guess the answer is meeting for dinner or lunch.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm all for going down to see OMB's lemur operation. Then, when the weather turns hot, we will go up north to check out sgt's gear (camera), then on up to Edmonton to get a home cooked meal. Anybody got a few months off?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

Dinner, Drink, Dodgeball...not necessarily in that order.

alm77 6 years, 1 month ago

Cookout. We provide the burgers and dogs everyone else brings drinks and a dish to share. Lots of good conversation.

Ceallach 6 years, 1 month ago

sgt, aren't you due for another trip? I missed the last gathering.

ms_canada also owes Lawrence another trip! As much as we complain about our weather (at least i do) we have fared better than Edmonton :) Come on down and warm up!

Or we could all head south and chat with snap.

QOTD: Most commonly by email, occasionally a telephone call and dinner together.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 1 month ago

Call a restaurant and reserve a table for two.

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 1 month ago

Hermit here..question doesn't apply. (I miss the old days, a get together every night.)