Previous   Next

How do you feel about losing an hour for daylight saving time?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 6, 2008

Browse the archives

“I don’t like daylight saving time at all. It makes me groggy. I like the night, so I’m sad to have less of it.”

“I go to work at 6 in the morning, so I am not happy about it. I have to get up and go to work way too early Sunday morning.”

“There are worse things to worry about. I’ll enjoy the evenings a lot more, so my world is about to become a lot less depressing.”

“Honestly, I don’t believe that we do lose an hour. The earth was spinning on its axis long before we had daylight savings, but if it makes things run more smoothly it doesn’t bother me.”

Comments

Crossfire 6 years, 5 months ago

Lose an hour... Gain an hour... Set all the clocks forward. ...adjust to this. Set all the clocks back. ...adjust to that. I wish we could just quit-it. William Willett needs a punch in the nose.

geppetto 6 years, 5 months ago

Maybe the city commission will request a study about this. Losing an hour! can you believe it?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

I love more daylight in the evenings! It should be this way all the time! And I'm not losing an hour...I'm just paying it back without interest.

preebo 6 years, 5 months ago

Overall, I like DST, mostly because I get to spend more time outside at the park or biking the levy trail with my wife, kids, and our dog, Konza.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

More daylight time to tend the lemurs.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

Losing it? Ha!! I've never lost an hour in my whole life! What's happened here is, not me losing an hour, but the Government Pigs Taking An Hour From Me! How do I feel about that?! Angry!!

Government Pigs should keep their hands off my hours!

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 5 months ago

60 years ago it had a purpose not now.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

More daylight to play kickball in the yard is the best purpose I can think of!

Bossa_Nova 6 years, 5 months ago

What really sucks is that you hafta wake up at 2am to change the hour on your clock!

haha just kidding!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

TOB, I'm experimenting with a lemur/zebra cross to get more stripes.....

coolmom 6 years, 5 months ago

lose an hour? hah! thats one more thing to blame my teenagers for losing!

conservativepunker 6 years, 5 months ago

Waaaaaaaah! I lose one hour of sleep for one night! Me cranky!!!!! I want my nap!!! WaaaaaaaaH!!

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

lol punker you hit on my solution to the "losing an hour" conundrum(how i love that word!); this will be a weekend of naps for me! :)

Marty_McFly 6 years, 5 months ago

I love to go to a different time.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

Py, that would be great ... as long as they don't put the other time change on a Monday afternoon, too. There would be riots if people had to stay in work an hour longer.

JJE007 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm really used to it and don't mind losing an hour. It's the probe that I can't stand!~)

Ceallach 6 years, 5 months ago

I truly miss that hour until it returns in the fall. Getting up in the morning is always the hardest part of my day.

Robert bickers 6 years, 5 months ago

Pick a schedule and stick with it. Time changes are irrelevant in this ages of electricity, so why keep doing it?!?

This is one of those topics that makes me irrationally angry . . .

leapinlemur 6 years, 5 months ago

Thanks to Christina for exhibiting proper astonomical/geological perspective. Humanity, there is hope for you yet.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

I know, Py. But given how government mandates tend to work out, they'd probably get it backwards; the move forward would be on a Saturday night, and the move back would be on a Monday afternoon. Violence would ensue.

kujayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I like it. I can play the "I forgot" card, wake up late and miss church.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says: "I blame tequila.

Wait, every problem in the world can be connected to Al Gore in six degrees or less!"

Al Gore invented tequila.

Blame Al Gore.

hawklet21 6 years, 5 months ago

How do I feel? Betrayed, bewildered...

Linda Aikins 6 years, 5 months ago

It should be OK for me. I still haven't gotten adjusted to the extra hour in the fall.

Leapin' lemurs! You are onto a multi-million dollar idea!

janeyb 6 years, 5 months ago

Just do Daylight savings time year round. I'm always up for an extra hour of daylight at the end of the day.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

snap, you are signed up for a losing venture, my friend! I got one of those lemur jumpsuits and and had the strangest urge to head out to a cliff and, well...jump. Maybe you can breed them with bumbles.

Ray March 6 years, 5 months ago

people are dumb. ;) you don't lose an hour of sleep. if you normally go to bed at 11 and get up at 7, set your clock before you go to bed. then still go to bed at 11 and get up at 7.

durp!!

i love how it doesn't get dark as early. i wish they'd leave it on daylight savings time all year. i hate when they change it back in the fall and it gets dark so early.

leapinlemur 6 years, 5 months ago

Sue -- On behalf of my lemur kin, I must correct you. Lemmings (rodents) are the ones associated in popular mythology with jumping off of cliffs. Lemurs (primates, like you and I) are very much against cliffs and the practice of jumping from them.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

lemur, just goes to show you how my brain functions on a severe lack of sleep. My mind must have played a word association game with the phrase "leepin' lemurs!" and those poor little leapin' lemmings! Gotta go now and brush up by watching old episodes of Zaboomafu!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

"Chicken goes cluck, cluck Cow goes moo, Lemur goes tsk, tsk, How about you?"

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

snap, that sounds like a cheer...I'm now picturing you in a short skirt waving pom pons. (woo woo!) ;)

beawolf 6 years, 5 months ago

I wish they would change to DST 10 minutes at time for 6 days in row. This would allow my fragile body-clock time to adjust.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like a great T shirt "Whispy When Wet!"

Damn good science, or like post-its or velcro? Just one of those: "Well, damn! Would you look at that!" moments? (Sorry Snap. I don't mean to belittle your accomplishment.)

coolmom 6 years, 5 months ago

omg, you folks made me choke on a cup of coffee. funny. there is no way al gore made tequila he just is not that cool.

nomansland 6 years, 5 months ago

seems like it's starting up earlier every year. i think it sucks personally and doesnt save energy like they say.

KUAlum2000 6 years, 5 months ago

Moved to Phoenix where we don't observe daylight savings; no need to save it in the summer, thank you very much, its hot enough already. But its real nice to leave all the clocks alone and not adjust body clock. All I have to think about is its now 2 hrs different back to KS instead of just 1.

dipweed 6 years, 5 months ago

Uhhh....the farmers like it 'cause it gives all the crops an extra hour of sunlight to grow.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

R-I: I heard that he said he did. If you can't trust someone talking trash on Al Gore, then who can you trust?

You guys can have all the lemurs you want from most parts of the world, but the ones in Madagascar are Mine! I've had an official claim on Madagascar and all Madagascarian (?) Lemurs since my very first real conversation with the woman who became my wife, so that's a decently long time, before this forum even existed!! I NEED those lemurs to be the mounts (after gigantification mutation) for my genetically engineered tiny men (that my wife and Ubermime say are going to be green but dammit they are NOT!) when I finally put my plan in motion to take over the world.

However, if you join the movement you can have a platoon or two, should your credentials check out. No need to commit now, you'll know when the time comes.

classclown 6 years, 5 months ago

How did people's body clocks work before clocks were invented?

been_there 6 years, 5 months ago

Let's just split the difference and make it 1/2 hour. LOL

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

The vampires aren't gonna like this.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

Weren't emus mentioned earlier on this thread? I'm steering clear of any chicken that could kick my liver clean out of my body. That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

notajayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

It's kind of like the taxes they withhold, except you don't have to file a return to get the hour back in the fall.

Actually, since I was born on the East Coast, it allows me to catch up to my natural time period.

Except I think I was born during DST, so I guess I'm just one less hour behind instead of catching up.

I remember once on a drive out here from New York, I pulled into a motel on the state line between Indiana and Illinois (the driveway started in one state and the building was in the other). It was DST and back when Indiana didn't observe it. There were two big clocks behind the front desk of the motel, one that said "Indiana Time" and the other saying "Illinois Time." They both said the same time. Went to bed scratching my head about that one for a while.

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

Everybody's gonna have to start livin on GRETCHEN TIME!

Ba da dink!

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm going to be a crankybutt all week after the time change.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

snap writes:

Don't hurt your elbow while patting yourself on the back, Nick

You've created a torrent of drivel, boasting, pontification and empty threats such as the world has seldom seen.

BTW

still

having

a

wonderful

un-outed

spam-free

internet

life

camper 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't mind the hour of sleep I will lose. I'm just hopin I can figure out the clock on my car stereo.