Previous   Next

Which Kansas University senior basketball player are you going to miss the most?

Asked at Jefferson's Restaurant, 743 Mass. on March 4, 2008

Browse the archives

“Probably Darnell, just because he’s so great and has overcome so many obstacles. He’s a very strong person. It’s going to be really sad. I’m probably going to cry a lot.”

“Sasha Kaun. I like that he’s not as flashy as some of the other players, and he’s a workhorse.”

“I’m going to miss Russell most. He hustles so much and he’s so fun to watch - and he’s cute.”

“Russell Robinson. He’s the glue guy. He does all those little intangible things to keep the game going smoothly.”

Comments

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone else here remember the game that the announcer said that Russell Robinson "sure sweats pretty"?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 6 months ago

Jamie Boyd and Taylor McIntosh!

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

Rush and Arthur. Sure, they're not seniors, but they'll be gone soon. Can you imagine how depressing it must be to be a K-Suck or Missery fan on Senior Night? So sad.

sunflowerks54 6 years, 6 months ago

I will miss them all. I wish all of them the best in whatever their lives bring. Hats off to Coach Self and all the Jayhawks!

Linda Aikins 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey Sour Grapes Salad, must suck to be a Missouri fan. Please no longer respond on this board. Give us our fun!

I will miss all of them - may they continue their lives as winners as they are on the court.

salad 6 years, 6 months ago

Well.....my work here is done.

salad 6 years, 6 months ago

None. You can visit these guys any time you want while their working at a Wal-mart in North Topeka after graduation with all the valuable skills they've learned off the court.

dminear60 6 years, 6 months ago

Darnell and Russell. We are so lucky that they are Jayhawks.

thomgreen 6 years, 6 months ago

Darnell Jackson all the way. He has overcome all sorts of personal obstacles and has never used them as an excuse to slack off. He's improved every year he's been here, he's been a joy to watch on the basketball court, and from what I've heard, he's just an all around nice guy. Superstars on a team are nice, but every great team needs players like Darnell.

salad 6 years, 6 months ago

"Hey salad, you suck, and wouldn't manage a peep within ear shot of anyone on our b-ball team, ball boys included."

Hey! That's MISTER suck to you buddy!!! Clearly you're living in KU basketball fantasy land, where all the players are wonderful golden-boys. I, on the other hand, have seen how these guys act in public and found it....lacking. I've seen players & their entourage cut in line in front of little kids, strut around like they're gods gift, and generally look down upon everyone whose NOT a fellow or former player. I bet they're seriously suprised to be working the night shift at Dennys when the can't make the pros and no one wants a communications major with a 2.1 GPA.

toefungus 6 years, 6 months ago

Salad, their attitudes aside, many of these players will find life difficult at best. Unless they go to the NBA or Europe to play ball, and even then, their bodies will be broke down in 10 years. They should be paid for their services to the college instead of handed a diploma they cannot use. And I mean paid well, $100,000 per year if a starter and $25000 if on the bench.

commonsense 6 years, 6 months ago

Toefungus,

These players are paid. Tuition, Books, Room & Board, Dining facilities, Meals on the Road, Hotel Rooms, Airline tickets and other forms of transportation, Entertainment on the road and at tournaments, Clothing, Shoes, Gear of all sorts, Private Tutors, special classes, use of private facilities that the other KU students are not afforded. The KU basketball player receives 10's of thousands of dollars in amenities for the honor of playing for KU and Division I Basketball. I understand the concept of paying players, but if you do, be sure to deduct these items from their paycheck. That $100K won't last very long, and the kids offered $25K will turn it down because it will be a pay cut!

janeyb 6 years, 6 months ago

Russell. As far as working at the Walmart in North Topeka, didn't Max say both Sasha (computer science) and Russell were going to be named All-Academic Big 12? Jeremy is working on a Master degree and they announced the other four were lined up to graduate. Salad must be the idiot.

Kenny Nall 6 years, 5 months ago

I will miss all the seniors in their respective ways. Yet, on the court, I will miss Jackson and Robinson the most. Could you ask any more from both of them? They both leave it all on the court every game. I will miss Case mainly because he had the guts to stay here and try to make the best of his career here at KU. Kaun was definitely a character. Jayhawk fans definitely got to see him progress through the years. I hope they all enjoyed their time here as much as we did. I hope they go out on top, and finish their KU years as champions.

M. Lindeman 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree with toe, pay them and while we are at it. Lets also find out where KU does with all that money they don't pay the players.

riverdrifter 6 years, 5 months ago

Russell. I hope when his basketball playing career is done that he comes back to the Lawrence/KU community in some way. Good, good person. Class.