Previous   Next

Which Kansas University senior basketball player are you going to miss the most?

Asked at Jefferson's Restaurant, 743 Mass. on March 4, 2008

Browse the archives

“Probably Darnell, just because he’s so great and has overcome so many obstacles. He’s a very strong person. It’s going to be really sad. I’m probably going to cry a lot.”

“Sasha Kaun. I like that he’s not as flashy as some of the other players, and he’s a workhorse.”

“I’m going to miss Russell most. He hustles so much and he’s so fun to watch - and he’s cute.”

“Russell Robinson. He’s the glue guy. He does all those little intangible things to keep the game going smoothly.”

Comments

Kenny Nall 6 years, 1 month ago

I will miss all the seniors in their respective ways. Yet, on the court, I will miss Jackson and Robinson the most. Could you ask any more from both of them? They both leave it all on the court every game. I will miss Case mainly because he had the guts to stay here and try to make the best of his career here at KU. Kaun was definitely a character. Jayhawk fans definitely got to see him progress through the years. I hope they all enjoyed their time here as much as we did. I hope they go out on top, and finish their KU years as champions.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

Babboy/Logic -

Good stuff. Remember how up until about March last year, it was required by all announcers to say Wright could play all 5 positions? He couldn't shoot outside of 5 ft. or dribble. Then during the tournament the chatter became, "a big man who can run and pass." I superloved Wright, but the media had him pegged for something he wasn't. The NBA draft is all about potential. Last I looked, he averages about 7 minutes and 1.4 ppg. Good for him... he got paid.

Rush and Arthur are gone. I don't see Rush being a pro for long. Arthur... I think he could be real good provided he learns how not to foul. There aren't too many post players that have his range. Rush wanted to go pro out of high school. Then again last year. He has stated he hates going to class and studying. I think he's gone even if he is a projected 2nd rounder.

JLoh21 6 years, 1 month ago

I just hope that they can make as much money after ku as they made at ku.

riverdrifter 6 years, 1 month ago

Russell. I hope when his basketball playing career is done that he comes back to the Lawrence/KU community in some way. Good, good person. Class.

M. Lindeman 6 years, 1 month ago

I agree with toe, pay them and while we are at it. Lets also find out where KU does with all that money they don't pay the players.

logicsound04 6 years, 1 month ago

BABBOY,

I'm with you 100% on Julian. Out of my circle of friends, I was always the one saying "yeah, he's a walking highlight reel and an amazing passer, but his tendency for turnovers hurts us far worse than any of his benefits help us"

My problem with Julian is that I got the impression that he was enamored with his own mystique (a 6-8 guy that can dribble alright, pass like Magic, and do some highlight reel dunks....or flops HAHA!) and was more concerned about playing to what he thought he was as a player than playing to do what the team needed him to do.

I can't count how many times I screamed [caps] "pass the f*cking ball, Julian" [/caps] at the television when he started point-guarding it up the court.

And since he was only here for 2 years, he didn't really allow me to make the sort of connection with him (as a fan) that I have with this year's class. Kaun/Jackson/Robinson went through their own growing pains as young players, but they stuck around and grew. Wright, left in the middle of his growing pains. But like you said, he went #14, so more power to him. I have no hate for JuJu, just the bitterness of expectations falling short.

BABBOY 6 years, 1 month ago

Jackson won me over this year. Like all of them.

I know everyone assumes that Arthur and Rush are assumed to be gone. But, I have not heard how the NBA scouts view the injury and Arthur still has flashes of immaturity where he looks like he is quitting -- not so much last two games -- but I saw it durring the rough spell. But, again, after seeing Wright go as a lottery pick, anything can happen when it comes to speculation as to what a player will do in that Scouts buy into hype as well. It would appear to me that Arthur can improve his stock into higher pick by staying and having monster year next year. However, after seeing Wright go number 14 last year, I would not be surprised if Arthur and Rush jump. But, I certainly would not be surprised if one of them stayed or even shocked if both stayed. Time will tell and speculation is just that.

Going off topic a little:

As for the rival, KSU, Beasley is going pro. There is no way he can improve his stock by staying. Too much to risk. A lot of folks think Walker will, but he is still too immature and I think he stays because scouts do not trust his lack of control over emotions dropping to second round meaning he will not declare. He can improve his stock by learning not to be idiot (at least emotionally because I am told he is not stupid). He may have to stay in college to learn some control before getting the high pick everyone talks about.

But, again, If Julian Wright can be lottery pick, anything can happen. KU is so much better without him on the squad. Personally, I think Julian was a great kid, I am not saying he had a bad attitude. But, a 6-8 kid that pass ball but cannot shoot a jump shot has no business playing guard, but on the flip side, he was too skinny to play inside. He needs to learn to shoot the jump shot if he wants to play guard. If it is inside, he needed to live in the weight room to find a chest or do something about the skinny legs. Of course, he declared at the right time and made millions so there is clearly nothing wrong with his ability to understand situations. Good for him.

But, my point is that Coach did not where to play him and it messed with team chemistry.

sunflowerks54 6 years, 1 month ago

I will miss them all. I wish all of them the best in whatever their lives bring. Hats off to Coach Self and all the Jayhawks!

Nick Vaughan 6 years, 1 month ago

Salad,

Man while your opinion is taken, man try to be positive. Ive known some bb-players to be pricks, but that does not apply to them all, especially this class. Ive had the chance to hang with Russel, Darnell, and Sasha, and they are standup people.

Its as though you have a sense of jealousy, perhaps your writing your comments from the basement of your mothers house.

I will say this, Jeff Bosche, Kirk Hinrick, and Steven Vincent were all Class A pricks, but fun to watch on the court.

Confrontation 6 years, 1 month ago

Rush and Arthur. Sure, they're not seniors, but they'll be gone soon. Can you imagine how depressing it must be to be a K-Suck or Missery fan on Senior Night? So sad.

janeyb 6 years, 1 month ago

Russell. As far as working at the Walmart in North Topeka, didn't Max say both Sasha (computer science) and Russell were going to be named All-Academic Big 12? Jeremy is working on a Master degree and they announced the other four were lined up to graduate. Salad must be the idiot.

logicsound04 6 years, 1 month ago

Darnell Jackson Sasha Kaun Russell Robinson Jeremy Case Roderick Stewart

Those are the seniors I will miss the most.

Jackson--thank you for your heart Kaun--thank you for your tenacity Robinson--thank you for your leadership Case--thank you for your dedication Stewart--thank you for your maturity

sunflower_sue 6 years, 1 month ago

Jamie Boyd and Taylor McIntosh!

commonsense 6 years, 1 month ago

Toefungus,

These players are paid. Tuition, Books, Room & Board, Dining facilities, Meals on the Road, Hotel Rooms, Airline tickets and other forms of transportation, Entertainment on the road and at tournaments, Clothing, Shoes, Gear of all sorts, Private Tutors, special classes, use of private facilities that the other KU students are not afforded. The KU basketball player receives 10's of thousands of dollars in amenities for the honor of playing for KU and Division I Basketball. I understand the concept of paying players, but if you do, be sure to deduct these items from their paycheck. That $100K won't last very long, and the kids offered $25K will turn it down because it will be a pay cut!

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

Salid. Just doing the good Lord's work one post at a time.

scenebooster 6 years, 1 month ago

Yep, better get back to flippin' those burgers, salad.

salad 6 years, 1 month ago

Well.....my work here is done.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 1 month ago

It's always enlightening to read Salid's viewpoint. Always insightful, intelligent, and thought provoking.

Gootsie 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey Sour Grapes Salad, must suck to be a Missouri fan. Please no longer respond on this board. Give us our fun!

I will miss all of them - may they continue their lives as winners as they are on the court.

toefungus 6 years, 1 month ago

Salad, their attitudes aside, many of these players will find life difficult at best. Unless they go to the NBA or Europe to play ball, and even then, their bodies will be broke down in 10 years. They should be paid for their services to the college instead of handed a diploma they cannot use. And I mean paid well, $100,000 per year if a starter and $25000 if on the bench.

salad 6 years, 1 month ago

"Hey salad, you suck, and wouldn't manage a peep within ear shot of anyone on our b-ball team, ball boys included."

Hey! That's MISTER suck to you buddy!!! Clearly you're living in KU basketball fantasy land, where all the players are wonderful golden-boys. I, on the other hand, have seen how these guys act in public and found it....lacking. I've seen players & their entourage cut in line in front of little kids, strut around like they're gods gift, and generally look down upon everyone whose NOT a fellow or former player. I bet they're seriously suprised to be working the night shift at Dennys when the can't make the pros and no one wants a communications major with a 2.1 GPA.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone else here remember the game that the announcer said that Russell Robinson "sure sweats pretty"?

scenebooster 6 years, 1 month ago

Darnell Jackson, he's the man.

dminear60 6 years, 1 month ago

Darnell and Russell. We are so lucky that they are Jayhawks.

salad 6 years, 1 month ago

None. You can visit these guys any time you want while their working at a Wal-mart in North Topeka after graduation with all the valuable skills they've learned off the court.

thomgreen 6 years, 1 month ago

Darnell Jackson all the way. He has overcome all sorts of personal obstacles and has never used them as an excuse to slack off. He's improved every year he's been here, he's been a joy to watch on the basketball court, and from what I've heard, he's just an all around nice guy. Superstars on a team are nice, but every great team needs players like Darnell.

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 1 month ago

Train or orchestra? I just don't see Shad as the baton type.