Previous   Next

Do you think a peak in oil production will lead to a global energy crisis?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 30, 2008

Browse the archives

“I’m one of those positive thinkers who would like to think that when it does happen, we will have wised up enough to be prepared for it.”

“I could see it happening, especially with China and India’s economies expanding so rapidly. I think it’s definitely something we need to take into account.”

“I do kind of believe that it’s going to be something we’re ill prepared for because I think we’re a major contributor to the problem. Even if it doesn’t happen as soon as they think it will, it’s going to happen eventually.”

“I think it’s kind of a Y2K type of thing where everyone gets all worked up about it, and then it never really materializes.”

Related story

Comments

Noemon 6 years, 5 months ago

I'll say, nobody; your spa really clashes with those pants.

conservativepunker 6 years, 5 months ago

When the speculators have ceased their fun, and they have gotten all the ducats they can, the price will fall. Indeed, not to $1.45 a gallon or anything like that, but it will get better.

dajudge 6 years, 5 months ago

What does any of this have to do with the price of wheat, er, oil, in China?"Brown on biosolids"? I like that.

nobody1793 6 years, 5 months ago

yeah, and my spa could use some coordinating too.

helwen 6 years, 5 months ago

Unless the various countries and their peoples work together to ensure proper distribution of fuels as needed (and how likely is that?), there will probably be an energy crisis/crunch.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

I had my own energy crisis last weekend: I had a lot to do and I didn't get enough sleep. But I solved that energy crisis by sleeping in this morning, so you can all breathe easier.

average 6 years, 5 months ago

When the world has been consuming more oil than it has found every year since about 1980.... and that ratio is now close to consuming 4 barrels for every barrel we find in a given year... yeah... that happy big blip of oil we discovered in the middle east in the 1950s ain't gonna last forever...

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

Sue, I'll see what I can do; this is a quiet (read: low-profit) week for me, so I should have some to spare.But remember: the one morning I was there, I got up crazy early. What, 5:30 or something?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

Where's merrill? He's usually all over this kind of stuff like white on rice.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

sgt, can you sell me a gallon of that "sleeping in?" I'm really low on the stuff.

walkdog262 6 years, 5 months ago

Why would you people argue about the question when the clear focus of this On the Street is the fact that Lacey Breech is hot as hell?

redneck 6 years, 5 months ago

There is no energy crisis and there isn't going to be one. When we talk about an energy crisis we are simply feeding the greedy people who are trying to convince us that there is an energy crisis. Yes, the price of fuel is higher than hell but there is no crysis! Have any of you seen any gas stations who don't have any gas to sell? Did Midwest Energy shut any of us off last winter because they were simply out of Natural Gas? No, that has not happened. Stop talking about an Energy Crisis! It's simply greedy people trying to make as much as they can. They say talk cheap but it isn't cheap. The more we talk about it the more we are convincing the oil producing countries that they can keep getting away with ripping us off. We need to do like Brazil and plant sugar cane in every nook and cranny, go with Ethanol and also keep researching alternative energy supplies. This will always be an ongoing process; so don't expect the problem to ever go away. So lets all stop this nonsense about an energy crisis that doesn't & never will exist.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago