Previous   Next

What do you think would be a good book for kids to read during the summer?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 22, 2008

Browse the archives

“I was always a fan of ‘Le Petit Prince,’ by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. It’s a French children’s book, but I think they have a translated version.”

Little Women,’ by Louisa May Alcott, is the one I read in middle school that sticks out for me. It’s a classic.”

“I think ‘Ishmael,’ by Daniel Quinn, or any book in that series should be required reading. It just gives a good insight into the world without reading like a textbook. It makes the reader think in a different way.”

The Dragons are Singing Tonight,’ by Jack Prelutsky. It’s a fun story that I read to my boys that they really get a kick out of.”

Related story

Comments

fu7il3 5 years, 9 months ago

I have no problem with kids reading Harry Potter. They are long, interesting, and if they can keep kids enthused enough to read the whole series, they've suddenly developed a reading habit and can move on to other books.

bobberboy 5 years, 9 months ago

Textbook on how to mow lawns, pull weeds, and wash windows.

scienceofsleep 5 years, 9 months ago

Since I was in third grade I read Harry Potter over and over until the next book would come out so I am in love with Harry and I think every kid should read the books. :)

coolmom 5 years, 10 months ago

the dangerous book for boys or the dangerous book for girls or heck, both.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

You mean battery holders? I nearly fell over the day one of my friends said they had to do some fast explaining to their daughter about something they had left in the sheets one weekend, ...and they used the above.

RockyInn 5 years, 10 months ago

Mommy & Daddy Hide Things in Their Sock Drawers.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

Harry Duck and the Goblet of Quack

milkman_dan 5 years, 10 months ago

Daddy drinks because Mommy is a who....oh nevermind.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 10 months ago

any book they can read and entertains them.

boogeyman 5 years, 10 months ago

The monsters under your bed and in your closet.

labmonkey 5 years, 10 months ago

I always read the Hardy Boys mysteries and my sister enjoyed anything by Laura Ingalls Wilder when she was little. I also read many Beverly Cleary books when I was in 3rd to 4th grade. Although I want my future children to read outside school, summer is supposed to be a time of fun and playing outdoors. The best way to discourage a child to read is to force them to read.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Can't think of the name..help me out.It's the thick book..something like, "All the things you were taught..that are Wrong!" I think the title had a big number in it.Alphabetical for reference, but a fun read.Bunker Hill/ Breed's Hill, no chopping cherry trees, and other fun errors.andWhen the Mississippi Ran Backwards : Empire, Intrigue, Murder, and the New Madrid Earthquakes Of course, Lake Wobegon Days and the sequel Leaving Home should be mandatory for junior high kids and up. Fall out of your chair funny, but teaches real human thinking, interaction, and history as well.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

prmom: I've been wondering how they're going to adapt the later two movies without horribly offending the entire Christian community. I wonder if they'll even try.

Nikki May 5 years, 10 months ago

Jonas, I just finished those. Very good indeed. I don't have any suggestions though.

sourpuss 5 years, 10 months ago

I love "The Neverending Story" by Michael Ende. Perfect for kids who love reading. The book IS better than the movie. Try to get the color hardback edition.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

I've been reading the His Dark Materials Trilogy and it's a pretty good story.

dajudge 5 years, 10 months ago

"Glenn's Complete Guide to Bicycle Repair" by Glenn.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 10 months ago

Why Do People Hate America? by Ziauddin Sardar and Merryl Wyn Davies

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

All seven volumes of "A la recherche du temps perdu", by Marcel Proust.