Previous   Next

What do you think would be a good book for kids to read during the summer?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 22, 2008

Browse the archives

“I was always a fan of ‘Le Petit Prince,’ by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. It’s a French children’s book, but I think they have a translated version.”

Little Women,’ by Louisa May Alcott, is the one I read in middle school that sticks out for me. It’s a classic.”

“I think ‘Ishmael,’ by Daniel Quinn, or any book in that series should be required reading. It just gives a good insight into the world without reading like a textbook. It makes the reader think in a different way.”

The Dragons are Singing Tonight,’ by Jack Prelutsky. It’s a fun story that I read to my boys that they really get a kick out of.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

I've been reading the His Dark Materials Trilogy and it's a pretty good story.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 6 months ago

Why Do People Hate America? by Ziauddin Sardar and Merryl Wyn Davies

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

prmom: I've been wondering how they're going to adapt the later two movies without horribly offending the entire Christian community. I wonder if they'll even try.

dajudge 6 years, 6 months ago

"Glenn's Complete Guide to Bicycle Repair" by Glenn.

Nikki May 6 years, 6 months ago

Jonas, I just finished those. Very good indeed. I don't have any suggestions though.

labmonkey 6 years, 6 months ago

I always read the Hardy Boys mysteries and my sister enjoyed anything by Laura Ingalls Wilder when she was little. I also read many Beverly Cleary books when I was in 3rd to 4th grade. Although I want my future children to read outside school, summer is supposed to be a time of fun and playing outdoors. The best way to discourage a child to read is to force them to read.

sourpuss 6 years, 6 months ago

I love "The Neverending Story" by Michael Ende. Perfect for kids who love reading. The book IS better than the movie. Try to get the color hardback edition.

RockyInn 6 years, 6 months ago

Mommy & Daddy Hide Things in Their Sock Drawers.

coolmom 6 years, 6 months ago

the dangerous book for boys or the dangerous book for girls or heck, both.

fu7il3 6 years, 5 months ago

I have no problem with kids reading Harry Potter. They are long, interesting, and if they can keep kids enthused enough to read the whole series, they've suddenly developed a reading habit and can move on to other books.

scienceofsleep 6 years, 5 months ago

Since I was in third grade I read Harry Potter over and over until the next book would come out so I am in love with Harry and I think every kid should read the books. :)