Previous   Next

Do you think juvenile offenders are entitled to a trial by jury?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 21, 2008

Browse the archives

“No, I really don’t think that would be a productive use of the judicial system’s resources.”

“I’m going to say no because of all the extra costs that would be involved in doing it. I think the state would be better off putting that money into education and prevention programs.”

“Oh absolutely, you can’t just have a kangaroo court. You can’t convict people without a fair trial.”

“Yes, I think they are entitled to the same legal process as an adult.”

Related story

Comments

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

No, I think if you offend a juvenile, you should just go straight to prison.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

R_I - I was thinking the same thing when I saw the article yesterday.

oldvet 6 years, 4 months ago

I would bet there will be a lot more juveniles getting harsher sentences is they sit on a stand, get grilled by a prosecutor, and have 12 adults decide if they are guilty or not...

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

Multi, don't forget that my morning is an hour later, so that 7:20 post was actually at 8:20 for me. But yeah, I'm not a morning person, so in my mind, there's not much difference between the two times.And since I'm not a morning person, I'm not sure what makes me post coherent thoughts in the morning. I don't like to function before 10:00 or so, but sometimes it's a necessity; this morning I had to wake up to photograph a wedding pretty much all day (10:00am - 11:30pm), and I decided to stop by the mighty OTS before I left.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

I don't understand the question. Is it mis-worded...or did they really intend to say a jury trial?I want a better question.

50YearResident 6 years, 4 months ago

Sure, give them a jury trial if they want full disclosure of their alleged crime, release of their name to the public and be tried as an adult.