Previous   Next

Do you believe in psychic ability?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 16, 2008

Browse the archives

“No, I don’t. I think that people who seem to be psychic have incredible powers of observation and are able to deductively arrive at conclusions that maybe other people miss.”

“Yes. More and more police and other agencies are using psychics to investigate crime scenes and things like that, and I think that there is a spiritual aspect of life that some people are more in tune with than others.”

“Yes. The mind is a very untapped resource, and anything is possible.”

“No. I don’t believe it’s real. I think it’s just another way for people to make money.”

Related story

Comments

acg 6 years, 6 months ago

Maybe a reverse racist is one who doesn't hate other people or try to discriminate against them because of the color of their skin? Well I'll be! I'm a reverse racist, too!!

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

O-Bob: What do your psychic powers predict my wife's reaction to be, whether I go for the redhead or the brunette? Just measuring my options here.

acg 6 years, 6 months ago

Happy birfday, Jonas!! I hope you deal with 30 better than I did. My 30th eventually ended in a 2 day hangover. Nothing says "you're not 21 anymore" quite like a near miss case of alcohol poisoning. :( I do believe some folks are psychic. Just as I think some folks are more susceptible to being haunted. But I agree with ceallach, in that I don't necessarily think it's a physical manifestation.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 6 months ago

I knew they were going to ask this question!Okay, now that's out of the way...

Shayntel Harris 6 years, 6 months ago

Maybe I'm in the minority but my mind is NOT an untapped resource. I tap into it quite regularly and use it think critically about things. When you do this you are able to discern reality from fantasy. Psychic healing along with astral projection, ESP, psychokinesis and a myriad of other "powers" belong in the realm of fantasy. Science has tested them all and has shown the results are no better than chance.Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out!

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

I want to. Not sure I really do, though. Birthday!! I turn the big 3-0 today.

TheOriginalCA 6 years, 6 months ago

Ceallach 6 years, 6 months ago

Happy B-day Jonas!!I do not rule out the possibility of psychic abilities. However, I do tend to think that if they are real they have a spiritual rather than physical base.

not_dolph 6 years, 6 months ago

I foresee "cool" posting multiple times in a row, with cut and paste of older posts from various stories in the past.

Daytrader23 6 years, 6 months ago

I use my psychic and my astrological calendar for investing and buying assets and I'm living really well. However I wouldn't use it for lottery tickets, Thats just bogus hokus pokus.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 6 months ago

Happy Birthday, Jonas.Thank you, R-I.To answer the actual quesiton, my tarot cards tell me not to believe in psychic powers.

Godot 6 years, 6 months ago

I know a man who was involved in a military project that studied and developed remote viewing for espionage purposes. He convinced me that psychic abilities reside within some, if not all, of us; it requires work and concentration to develop.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 6 months ago

I predict that a barista will appear on OTS before long.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

sgt - I knew you were going to answer that way!As for the question, I'm more of a believer now than I have been previously. I have not experienced anything myself. Although, both my mom and my wife have had some vivid dreams that have ended up being eerily accurate.

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

TheOriginalCA: And how, pray tell, do you predict that the conservatives will label the liberals? Surely you're seeking the whole picture for accuracy's sake, right?

ohjayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Happy Birthday Jonas! I'm trying to forget mine is coming up in a couple weeks.

dminear60 6 years, 6 months ago

Think of the tragedies that could have been avoided if physic powers were for real...Lincoln would not have been shot at Ford's Theater, Kennedy would not have been killed in Dallas, Bush would not have been elected...you get the idea.

TheOriginalCA 6 years, 6 months ago

I predict that Liberals will automatically characterize every Republican of being white, racist, homophobic, KKK member, whacked out, environmentally unfriendly, academically inept, rich, dishonest.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 6 months ago

Happy birthday, Jonas! I don't know how it is there, but the weather here is gorgeous, and it must be in honor of your birthday. So thank you for that!

samsnewplace 6 years, 6 months ago

If there was this true power, wouldn't someone win the powerball every single time it's played?

TheOriginalCA 6 years, 6 months ago

A reverse racist is a non-white who is racist against white people. This is by far and away the most prevalent racism in this country today. I am not saying that white racism against African Americans is not a problem because it in fact is. Another major issue is racism in regards to different "tones" of skin color of African Americans. Darker skinned people and lighter skinned who are very out of the closet in regards to racism within the African American race.

southerngirl 6 years, 6 months ago

I do believe in psychic abilities. As others have said, the mind is an untapped source. I also think that there are so many bogus psychics that swindled people out of money that we have become suspisous of all psychics. I would never call myself a psychic, but I have had moments that could be called psychic-dreams that have come true or pervasive thoughts that have been realized. Some may call it wishful thinking or my subconsious mind processing information-maybe so, but I think it could be untapped psychic ability that we all have.I, too, have a birthday coming up! The big 4-0 for me! We are moving to Virginia, so I will be buried deep in boxes for my birthday : ( On the good side, I am moving into a beautiful house in a friendly neighborhood and (hopefully) a much less stressful job-it's crazy here in Tennessee!Cheers to all of you Geminis and Cancers!d

dajudge 6 years, 6 months ago

Happy b-day Jonas! I remember they gave me an "Older Than Dirt" cake for my thirtieth.Hope you fare better, and sorry about the funeral.I do believe in psychic phenomenon due to some personal experiences I've had.I haven't bent any spoons though. I leave that to the charlatans.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 6 months ago

Is anything possible? Who knows but strange things happen and I can't say I know its not true.

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

acg: I'll try. Celebrations will undoubtedly be dampened, though, by the funeral we have to attend this afternoon. My wife's cousin was the kid killed during the robbery last weekend. (The one that lived there)O-Bob: Maybe you're getting interference. My wife is usually a redhead, but she's more of a blonde right now.

jaycee 6 years, 6 months ago

I predict that if the sidewalks are wet that it will be raining, and if they are icy, that it has been snowing or sleeting and it is very cold, and if you send me $20.00 you will have less money and I will have more. Wow! it's great being psychic, but then I knew that already.

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the birthday wishes, folks. Thinking it's coming closer to the time for carousing at the Replay.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Happy birthday Jonas. I just turned the big 5-1 on the second. And yes I do. If I am older than you, you have to show some respect. I have seen things with my own eyes, and heard things with my own ears that I cannot explain. Not that that means I am psychic. Just think it all fits togather

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

TheOriginalCA (Anonymous) says:"Jonas,Has McCain tried to censor his critics the way that your reverse racist candidate has done?"My candidate? Right now I'm leaning towards McCain. Sorry to spoil your stereotyping. And you're changing the subject, in case you thought your ham-fisted efforts somehow escaped my notice. It's okay if you have nothing to say to back your one-sided original statement, or somehow invalidate my response. I didn't really expect anything more. I would advise, though, that in the future you just ignore me, as opposed to leaving yourself open for more damage to your limited credibility. :)

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 6 months ago

Kansas is a roundabout..and we are around... Deal with it. Arrogance and ignorance are the pylons on our road.Deal...

ReadingSports 6 years, 6 months ago

Happy Birthday, Jonas.My psychic abilities say that you shouldn't listen to "the original Bob.":-) TTFN

dandelion 6 years, 6 months ago

My predict that the last 8 years of Bush is going to bankrupt our government for generations.

Freiman 6 years, 6 months ago

Psychic abilities absolutely exist. The problem is there are many charlatans that give psychics a bad reputation. There are also many who have limited or undeveloped abilities who cannot control or effectivley manage there gift.