Previous   Next

Do you believe in psychic ability?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 16, 2008

Browse the archives

“No, I don’t. I think that people who seem to be psychic have incredible powers of observation and are able to deductively arrive at conclusions that maybe other people miss.”

“Yes. More and more police and other agencies are using psychics to investigate crime scenes and things like that, and I think that there is a spiritual aspect of life that some people are more in tune with than others.”

“Yes. The mind is a very untapped resource, and anything is possible.”

“No. I don’t believe it’s real. I think it’s just another way for people to make money.”

Related story

Comments

Freiman 5 years, 10 months ago

Psychic abilities absolutely exist. The problem is there are many charlatans that give psychics a bad reputation. There are also many who have limited or undeveloped abilities who cannot control or effectivley manage there gift.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

Happy birthday Jonas. I just turned the big 5-1 on the second. And yes I do. If I am older than you, you have to show some respect. I have seen things with my own eyes, and heard things with my own ears that I cannot explain. Not that that means I am psychic. Just think it all fits togather

JJE007 5 years, 10 months ago

Kansas is a roundabout..and we are around... Deal with it. Arrogance and ignorance are the pylons on our road.Deal...

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

I can't believe no one predicted that KTA is putting a roundabout in, instead of the long circle!Channel 6 just said so.

dandelion 5 years, 10 months ago

My predict that the last 8 years of Bush is going to bankrupt our government for generations.

ReadingSports 5 years, 10 months ago

Happy Birthday, Jonas.My psychic abilities say that you shouldn't listen to "the original Bob.":-) TTFN

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the birthday wishes, folks. Thinking it's coming closer to the time for carousing at the Replay.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

TheOriginalCA (Anonymous) says:"Jonas,Has McCain tried to censor his critics the way that your reverse racist candidate has done?"My candidate? Right now I'm leaning towards McCain. Sorry to spoil your stereotyping. And you're changing the subject, in case you thought your ham-fisted efforts somehow escaped my notice. It's okay if you have nothing to say to back your one-sided original statement, or somehow invalidate my response. I didn't really expect anything more. I would advise, though, that in the future you just ignore me, as opposed to leaving yourself open for more damage to your limited credibility. :)

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

I predict there will be much pointless name-calling and poop throwing drivel on the Sherron Collins thread tomorrow.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

blue,Early this morning I wanted to predict that tomorrow they would carry the story about Alcatraz, and the OTS would be;Would you spend your holiday at the Alcatraz Hotel?

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 10 months ago

Is anything possible? Who knows but strange things happen and I can't say I know its not true.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

I predict that a barista will appear on OTS before long.

Pywacket 5 years, 10 months ago

No. Sigh.. What century is this, again?But I do believe that people like the kid in the story profile sincerely believe in their "powers," especially if they have been "groomed" after some subtle differences in their perceptions or demeanor were noticed by parents or others who found it easier and more charming to assign them with "special powers" than to accept that we simply do not know the logical and rational causes for all possible phenomena. Compare to earlier human explanation for eclipses, volcanic eruptions, and other natural events before rational explanations had been worked out. Many phenomena & events were once attributed to magic, supernatural interference (by pleased or angry gods), etc., before the science behind those events was worked out. Do we REALLY think that we have nailed the science of everything that can possibly have a natural explanation--and that everything else must therefore fall within the realm of supernatural, i.e., psychic powers, divine intervention, etc?Some who have unswerving faith in these "psychics" may be able to exert the mental energy necessary to achieve their goals. No different from believing in Zeus, Allah, Jesus, the Good Fairy, good luck charms, etc..., and lo & behold, having that faith translate into positive outcomes--at least, often enough for some folks to feel that their particular superstition has been validated.Samsnewplace--Good one!!! ;-)

blue73harley 5 years, 10 months ago

I predict that tomorrows OTS question will be asked "at Massachusetts Street" and at least one respondent will be wearing HUGE sunglasses. Elsewhere, in the online edition tomorrow, you will find at least two blogs referring to "Bushco" and at least one referencing "Nazis". In the police report you will find a reference to either Redbud Lane, 19th & Haskell, or the Drop In Center. Merrill will cut 'n paste an article that he dearly loves and Marion will still be having a wonderful internet life. Bozo will be fighting for some cause and Cool will still be against the Oread Inn.I'm becoming so psychic ( or is that psycho?) that it almost seems pointless to read the paper anymore! But then I remember that it is almost homeless, public sex season...

samsnewplace 5 years, 10 months ago

If there was this true power, wouldn't someone win the powerball every single time it's played?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

T_O_B,Racists are not N.A.S.C.A.R. drivers?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

"A reverse racist is a non-white who is racist against white people."That's actually just plain old racism.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

Isn't a reverse racist that guy in that driving instructional film, Talladega Nights?Yeah, thats him Ricky Bobby...He won a race going in reverse.What does that do? Does that blow your mind? That just happened!

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 10 months ago

A reverse racist is a non-white who is racist against white people. This is by far and away the most prevalent racism in this country today. I am not saying that white racism against African Americans is not a problem because it in fact is. Another major issue is racism in regards to different "tones" of skin color of African Americans. Darker skinned people and lighter skinned who are very out of the closet in regards to racism within the African American race.

acg 5 years, 10 months ago

Maybe a reverse racist is one who doesn't hate other people or try to discriminate against them because of the color of their skin? Well I'll be! I'm a reverse racist, too!!

JJE007 5 years, 10 months ago

I see death in your future.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

What in the world is a reverse racist?

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 10 months ago

SkepticKnitter 5 years, 10 months ago

Maybe I'm in the minority but my mind is NOT an untapped resource. I tap into it quite regularly and use it think critically about things. When you do this you are able to discern reality from fantasy. Psychic healing along with astral projection, ESP, psychokinesis and a myriad of other "powers" belong in the realm of fantasy. Science has tested them all and has shown the results are no better than chance.Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out!

jaycee 5 years, 10 months ago

I predict that if the sidewalks are wet that it will be raining, and if they are icy, that it has been snowing or sleeting and it is very cold, and if you send me $20.00 you will have less money and I will have more. Wow! it's great being psychic, but then I knew that already.

dajudge 5 years, 10 months ago

Happy b-day Jonas! I remember they gave me an "Older Than Dirt" cake for my thirtieth.Hope you fare better, and sorry about the funeral.I do believe in psychic phenomenon due to some personal experiences I've had.I haven't bent any spoons though. I leave that to the charlatans.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

TheOriginalCA: And how, pray tell, do you predict that the conservatives will label the liberals? Surely you're seeking the whole picture for accuracy's sake, right?

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

Happy birthday, Jonas! I don't know how it is there, but the weather here is gorgeous, and it must be in honor of your birthday. So thank you for that!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Someone should predict the number of posts that will be removed on the adjacent article. They are pulling about everything that disagrees with "Yes", unless it's worded very very carefully, or maybe some just haven't been "clicked" yet.

dminear60 5 years, 10 months ago

Think of the tragedies that could have been avoided if physic powers were for real...Lincoln would not have been shot at Ford's Theater, Kennedy would not have been killed in Dallas, Bush would not have been elected...you get the idea.

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 10 months ago

I predict that Liberals will automatically characterize every Republican of being white, racist, homophobic, KKK member, whacked out, environmentally unfriendly, academically inept, rich, dishonest.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

acg: I'll try. Celebrations will undoubtedly be dampened, though, by the funeral we have to attend this afternoon. My wife's cousin was the kid killed during the robbery last weekend. (The one that lived there)O-Bob: Maybe you're getting interference. My wife is usually a redhead, but she's more of a blonde right now.

Ceallach 5 years, 10 months ago

RI, that would mean I am wrong :)

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

I predict many will need to consult their horoscopes before answering "No".

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

Happy Birthday, Jonas.Thank you, R-I.To answer the actual quesiton, my tarot cards tell me not to believe in psychic powers.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says: Jonas -Apparently, my psychic abilities suck. I thought she was your roommate. Wife? Wow. I need to go back and find the user's guide to that crystal ball I bought on craigslist.-----------I've briefly considered making a Glossary about posters data. Something months ago took us back to an old thread, where everyone was saying when this or that happened, giving a lot of timeline info. It put a lot into perspective. Then I predicted I wouldn't be allowed to sell it on here.><

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

"I do tend to think that if they are real they have a spiritual rather than physical base." - Ceal,What if there is a "That Gene" for psychic abilities?

cool 5 years, 10 months ago

yes i met Dionne Warwick on New Year's eve 1989 !

acg 5 years, 10 months ago

Happy birfday, Jonas!! I hope you deal with 30 better than I did. My 30th eventually ended in a 2 day hangover. Nothing says "you're not 21 anymore" quite like a near miss case of alcohol poisoning. :( I do believe some folks are psychic. Just as I think some folks are more susceptible to being haunted. But I agree with ceallach, in that I don't necessarily think it's a physical manifestation.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

OMG..Last night I had this nightmare about jonas and a redhead!Happy birthday buddy..are you home yet?

not_dolph 5 years, 10 months ago

I foresee "cool" posting multiple times in a row, with cut and paste of older posts from various stories in the past.

autie 5 years, 10 months ago

Psychic ability is right up there with the easter bunny and santa claus and the tooth fairy. But if you want to believe..truly want to, it will be real. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Ceallach 5 years, 10 months ago

Happy B-day Jonas!!I do not rule out the possibility of psychic abilities. However, I do tend to think that if they are real they have a spiritual rather than physical base.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

Southerngirl -Of course, not all redheads are evil. Just the one Jonas will meet tonight.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

O-Bob: What do your psychic powers predict my wife's reaction to be, whether I go for the redhead or the brunette? Just measuring my options here.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

Methinks Garry Lumpkins watches entirely too much tv.Happy Birthday, Jonas! Bring a condom tonight! And, whatever you do, the red head is evil. Go for the brunette. My psychic powers are the most awesome.

southerngirl 5 years, 10 months ago

I do believe in psychic abilities. As others have said, the mind is an untapped source. I also think that there are so many bogus psychics that swindled people out of money that we have become suspisous of all psychics. I would never call myself a psychic, but I have had moments that could be called psychic-dreams that have come true or pervasive thoughts that have been realized. Some may call it wishful thinking or my subconsious mind processing information-maybe so, but I think it could be untapped psychic ability that we all have.I, too, have a birthday coming up! The big 4-0 for me! We are moving to Virginia, so I will be buried deep in boxes for my birthday : ( On the good side, I am moving into a beautiful house in a friendly neighborhood and (hopefully) a much less stressful job-it's crazy here in Tennessee!Cheers to all of you Geminis and Cancers!d

ohjayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

Happy Birthday Jonas! I'm trying to forget mine is coming up in a couple weeks.

blue73harley 5 years, 10 months ago

I predict Jonas will have a happy birthday.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

Damn,My post was supposed to show up before yours...

ohjayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

sgt - I knew you were going to answer that way!As for the question, I'm more of a believer now than I have been previously. I have not experienced anything myself. Although, both my mom and my wife have had some vivid dreams that have ended up being eerily accurate.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

I want to. Not sure I really do, though. Birthday!! I turn the big 3-0 today.

Godot 5 years, 10 months ago

I know a man who was involved in a military project that studied and developed remote viewing for espionage purposes. He convinced me that psychic abilities reside within some, if not all, of us; it requires work and concentration to develop.

Daytrader23 5 years, 10 months ago

I use my psychic and my astrological calendar for investing and buying assets and I'm living really well. However I wouldn't use it for lottery tickets, Thats just bogus hokus pokus.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

I knew they were going to ask this question!Okay, now that's out of the way...