Previous   Next

Have you found any ticks on you this year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“No, but I always check myself after any time I’m out in the woods.”

“Yes. I went to this place called Tall Oaks outside of Kansas City, where we did team building exercises. I found six of them by the end of the day, but none of them bit me.”

“I haven’t found any on me, but we found one on my little baby cousin while we were changing her diaper. It hadn’t bitten her though.”

“Yeah, back home, but none here yet. I’ve never gotten them before, so they must be worse this year.”

Related story

Comments

ohjayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

No, but found one on one of our dogs.

LADreyfus 6 years, 6 months ago

I was just visiting with some friends over coffee this morning at La Prima Taza recounting my tick story of last Saturday. I was placing a wildlife camera out near the town of Clinton and although dressed appropriately and pre-sprayed with DEET-containing repellent, I recovered 18 ticks on my clothing and skin following my 2-hour jaunt through the terrain. The 18 ticks I recovered did not include the 6-8 that brushed off my pants while walking through the knee-high grass. This tick count was a personal record for me, as was the fact that I recovered 3 varieties, the Texas Star, a deer tick and a third common variety that I am unsure of the common name. This has been an exceptionally bad year for ticks, but so have the last few. As an avid hunter and hiker its the rare exception that I come home without ticks, but the numbers this year and last have been somewhat alarming! I was hoping that the long hard winter would have reduced the tick load in the area, but obviously not. Of the 18 ticks crawling on me last Saturday, one had already sunk it's mouth-parts into my flesh. Fortunately, the tick was was easily remove without leaving any pieces behind. I am anxious to see the results of the wildlife camera placement, but not looking forward another personal tick infestation!

Sigmund 6 years, 6 months ago

Being a presidential election year it is particularly bad. Politics, from the word 'poly' meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes, I have! Time to get out the pesticides and totally drench the yard. The hubby has a really nasty looking bite that we are "keeping an eye on."This one time I went out w/ a couple guys to explore some land for sale. I hate ticks and mosquitos so I bathed myself in DEET. When we got back to the truck, they both had zero ticks while I literally had hundreds of those tiny little deer ticks on me. They were everywhere!!! Hundreds!!!

loki8025 6 years, 6 months ago

I work on a ranch. 3 weeks ago I had to walk fence line to fix holes in the fence. I picked about 3 dozen every 15 minutes off of me. I would take a wild guess and say that I had close to 300 on me by the time I got out. at least half of those made it to skin. But if you catch them in time it is no problem. Even the small ones you can feel walking up your skin. I did get one that stuck good and I will not go into details where that one was! ;)

labmonkey 6 years, 6 months ago

Loki- There is one place on guys where it is the absolutely worst place for a tick or chigger bite.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 6 months ago

yep one on my back dug in good and found one on my shirt got that one in time and both these in town not even close to wooded area or grown trees so it is going to be a bad tick season. Guess fleas will be a problem also hate those little critters worse than ticks.

Sigmund 6 years, 6 months ago

I've named the blood sucking parasite on my right arm "Juan" and the one on my left arm "Barry."

KoolKat 6 years, 6 months ago

Those ou you who say thay haven't had a tick bite must not live in the country. It is almost impossible to not get tick bites when your in the grass out here. Even with Deet, and other defenses the ticks will find a way to get on you and dig in. This year the ticks are a lot worse than they have been in the past because I've found several each time I just walk across gravel driveways. Yes you gennerally can feel them crawling but some still get through without you noticing and attach.