Previous   Next

What was your favorite children’s book?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 13, 2008

Browse the archives

Hop on Pop,’ by Dr. Seuss. My pampa and I used to read it together, and he had a big belly that I would lay on while he read.”

Where the Wild Things Are,’ by Maurice Sendak, because of the pictures, the abstract creatures and the overall positive theme of the story.”

I think it was ‘Johnny Tremaine,’ by Esther Hoskins Forbes. I was really interested in history, always have been, and it was set during the American Revolution.”

Junie B. Jones,’ by Barbara Park and Denise Brunkus. They’re a series of books about a little girl who speaks really funny, and her experiences with school and her friends.”

Related story

Comments

rollcar 5 years, 10 months ago

One of my favorites as a child, and now one of my favorites to read to my children, is The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss. It has such an amazingly simple message that we could all stand to learn a thing or two from.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 10 months ago

From the age of seven, I was also quite fond of Jules Verne and Edgar Allan Poe.Read Mary Shelley at nine.Then I discovered Herbert George Wells and it was a downhill road from there.

terrapin2 5 years, 10 months ago

Where the Wild Things Are is definitely one of my all-time favorite early childhood books! It was both freaky and wildly imaginative while still being somewhat comforting and reassuring to a young child such as myself. And the artwork was just as brilliant as the story itself. But once I got a bit older it I must have read every single Encyclopedia Brown book before moving on to the original Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries.However it wasn't just the book I was reading that contributed to the overall experience. It was also where I was reading that made a big difference. Having grown up on the west side of Topeka many of my early childhood book-related memories took place in the Topeka Public Library's "Book-Mobile" which used to park in the Fairlawn Shopping Center parking lot every Saturday, and on a few evenings each week too as I recall. During the summer time it always felt like it was about 68 degrees inside and as such was a very welcome relief from the sweltering Kansas heat. :-) Boy, that sure brings back many fond memories of the carefree summertime days of my youth..........(sigh)I hope they still do that in this day and age, especially since too many kids are spending too much time in front of the TV watching cartoons, tv shows, and movies, or playing video games. And not enough parents have the time (or make the time) to take their kids over to the Topeka Public Library. So LJW, thanks for sparking my memory about these books! I'm really looking forward to sharing all of them with my children, especially now that my oldest is starting to read very well on their own!

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

Ferdinand the Bull! Good to see that mentioned -- the author was a relative of mine.

bkreed1960 5 years, 10 months ago

Little Witch was my absolute favorite and I read it so much that my paperback copy fell apart, but I finally found another copy on Ebay (I think that is where I got it from). Of course, I had to read it again when I got that copy. I also enjoyed Ferdinand the Bull and Charlotte's Web, as well as these pre-teen mysteries by Helen Fuller Orton.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Didn't discover them until I was in my 20's, but there was a writer who wrote for young/ teen girls around the turn of the century (1900) who was very enjoyable. Some best sellers.The old classic type, two children who become orphaned, sent away, only to be taken in by someone who makes their lives whole again.Mary J Holmes.I started collecting them, and have a large collection now. You find them in little towns where the TG&Y has turned into a thrift/antique shop on the town square.Unless of course I've already been there, lol. If it's over $1, it better be in really great shape.

misslawrence 5 years, 10 months ago

what about for the ladies,,,good ol Judy Blume!!!!!!!!!!!!

OZinAK 5 years, 10 months ago

Harold and the Purple Crayon and Where the Sidewalk Ends

sunflower_sue 5 years, 10 months ago

Ms_C, have you read the sequel to "Pillars of the Earth" yet? I just finished it a week ago. ("World Without End") Took him almost 20 years, but Ken Follett did it again! I love his other books, too, but those 2 are my favs.

bobberboy 5 years, 10 months ago

Little Black Sambo. I just loved all those pancakes with melted butter and syrup. Yum.

coolmom 5 years, 10 months ago

wow so many i read until my parents and teachers said i was escaping and took some of my reading time away lol. where the wild things are has to be my favorite with my kids since we wear out copies and have to replace them. i loved the boxcar children, where the red fern grows, the black stallion, love you forever, and any by marice sendak. heck i will read anything nowdays last week i read something by nora roberts and this week i am reading what do you care what other people think by richard feynman.

Miss_Spent 5 years, 10 months ago

When I was really young, I loved the "Gus the Ghost" and "Barbapapa" books. When I got older, I loved "Bridge to Terabithia".

KSA_21_3503 5 years, 10 months ago

World Book Encyclopedia and Merriam-Websters Unabridged Dictionary.

yeah_right 5 years, 10 months ago

Mine when I was a child was The Very Hungry CaterpillarMy favorite to read the kids is Just in Case you Ever Wondered - Max Lucado

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

Ah, the Hardy Boys. I spent plenty of time reading those books.That reminds me. Did anyone else here read the Three Investigators series?

sherbert 5 years, 10 months ago

I liked the Babar Bear books and The Littles, remember them, the little tiny people that secretly lived in the house, like mice.

lubyloo 5 years, 10 months ago

My favorites were Chicken Soup with Rice, Where the Red Fern Grows, the LIttle House on the Prairie books, the Velveteen Rabbit, Charlotte's Web, and the Berenstain Bears books.

prospector 5 years, 10 months ago

Uncle RemusOl Br'er Rabbit always got away, back to his briar patch.

HW 5 years, 10 months ago

Depends on the age. As far back as I can remember it was always Curious George and The Fox and The Hound. As I got older it was The Boxcar Children and Pick Your Adventure Books. Pre-teens was S.E. Hinton (Outsiders, Tex, etc.). In my teens it was King, L'Amour, and Playboy.

stephenj 5 years, 10 months ago

Millions of Cats, by Wanda Gag

Dani Davey 5 years, 10 months ago

The Berenstein Bears series and James and the Giant Peach

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Is the group reading the share your tick stories article?Who knew it would be today's humor section.http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/jun...

Bone777 5 years, 10 months ago

The Five Chinese Brothers by Claire Huchet Bishop

HootyWho 5 years, 10 months ago

Big Red, the wonder horse can't remember who wrote it

Hopbe 5 years, 10 months ago

The Hardy Boys, Little Women, Where the Sidewalk Ends and anything Dr. Suess.I love books - then and now.

motomom 5 years, 10 months ago

charlotte's web.read it every summer.

oldvet 5 years, 10 months ago

Little Black SamboBut of course now that book is "banned" because referring to someone as "black" is so racist...

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

MD, are you and your droogies going out for a bit of the old ultra-violence tonight?

dajudge 5 years, 10 months ago

"Call Me Brick""Icepick Slim"and the Black Stallion series.

nobody1793 5 years, 10 months ago

Choose your own adventure.If you wish to insult me and my choice, turn to comment 13.If you just had a childhood flashback, go on to the next comment.

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

As a real little kid, our mom read us the stories from the only book that I recall we had, Grimes Brothers Fairy Tales, which included Rapunzel, Red Rose and Snow White, Hansel and Gretel, Sleeping Beauty. Stuff like that. Then as I began reading on my own, I liked the Tom Swift books, Nancy Drew and any doggone thing I could get my hands on. It was not easy acquiring books where I lived on the farm. Reading carried on into my adult years and I still am a voracious reader. Reading Glastonbury, the story of Christian England at this time. It spans 1500 years from Joseph of Arimathea ( just after Christ died) to modern times.

jayhawker2008 5 years, 10 months ago

The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and Little Witch were my favs.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 10 months ago

"The Complete Mother Goose" was one I opened frequently. I also had this book of creepy ghost stories that I liked. "Where the Wild Things Are" was another favorite, but I never understood why he got sent to his room for saying such an innocuous thing. His mom was no-doubt some strange control freak.

alm77 5 years, 10 months ago

Popcorn. It was a book about a bear who had this Halloween party and all the guests brought popcorn to pop and they popped it all the house filled up. It had some pretty funny pictures.

jennatto 5 years, 10 months ago

"Mog the forgetful cat". It's great. Very funny and fun illustrations. At one point, Mog forgets that cats can't fly.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

"The one with lots of cool illustrations. Anyone remember that one?" RII was thinking about the answer and I couldn't come up with one that I remember. I have a two year old and the kid pretty much will look/read/stare/oogle at anythin with the cool illustrations. So, that sounds about right.As I got older, I read all the Hardy Boy books.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

Ah, yes. Curious George. Good call, ohjay.

schula 5 years, 10 months ago

Nancy Drew mysteries, Little House on the Prairies series, the Boxcar Children series, Just like mom of three, I also read a lot as a kid (still do as an adult) and there are too many books to pick a favorite from.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 10 months ago

"The Wind In The Willows"."Babar".All of the Tom Swift books.Life Magazine's "The World We Live In".

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

The Happy Man and His Dumptruck

ohjayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

I just remembered. I also really liked the Curious George series.

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years, 10 months ago

When I was a kid - Where the Wild Things Are and Goodnight Moon.Reading to my kids, I Love You Forever is one of my favorites, though I was always crying by the end of the book.

starbucks 5 years, 10 months ago

Dad's stack of Playboy's under the bed.

mom_of_three 5 years, 10 months ago

My favorite children's book was "Caddie Woodlawn" by Carol Ryrie Brink. But I read a lot as a kid, and liked lots of stuff. Little House series, Boxcar Children, Trixie Belden. I also liked the "Blaze" books, and "chester." Loved "bridge to terrabithia."

dminear60 5 years, 10 months ago

The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

Most books by Bill Peet. He wrote a few books that were a bit too agenda-driven, but most of his books were just fun.http://www.billpeet.net/PAGES/booklist.htm

samsnewplace 5 years, 10 months ago

"I'll love you forever", wonderful younger grade school age book.

Deb Trybom 5 years, 10 months ago

The Monster at the end of this Book (staring Lovable, Fury, Old Grover) I don't remember who the author was but I loved hearing my mom read it outloud and still love to listen when she reads it to my son and nieces.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

The one with lots of cool illustrations. Anyone remember that one?

Kat Christian 5 years, 10 months ago

Heidi and Alice in Wonderland - two of the best childhood novel written for little girls.

acg 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't know who the author was but it was called "Where Does a Butterfly Go When it Rains?" I loved that book.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

I'd probably have to say "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator". I think I bought both of them at the book fairs they had at our school.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 10 months ago

Earl,I'm not sure that "Johnny Tremaine" was my favorite but it was the very first book I ever checked out of the school library...

BrianR 5 years, 10 months ago

I loved "Where the Wild Things Are." This version of Fox in Socks is brilliantly executed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vkAuJlaAWw.

Dixie Jones 5 years, 10 months ago

of course this is not hard , green eggs and ham , sam i am hope everyone has a outstanding Friday and happy Fathers day to all the dads out there.