Previous   Next

Are you relieved that gas prices are expected to only go as high as $4.15 this summer?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 12, 2008

Browse the archives

“Not particularly. I’m still in sticker shock, I think. It’s just another reminder that we need to do something about our fuel crisis and look for more alternative sources. It’s certainly sad to think of $3.76 as cheap.”

“No, not really. That doesn’t make me feel much better about it. I guess it’s better than $6, but I still don’t want to pay it.”

“I would be if it stayed under that, but I don’t think it will. I think it will probably hit at least $4.35 before the summer is out.”

“I was disgruntled the second it hit $3.50, so it would have to go down significantly before it was a relief to me.”

Related story

Comments

geekin_topekan 6 years, 4 months ago

Naw.I love it when the cost of living hits a higher tax bracket till it hurts.Seems that's when things start to change.The poor remain silent because they already know how to deal with it.But when people who recently lived "middle" class lives suddenly find themselves budgeting for things they took for granted only yesterday,then it becomes a "crisis".LOL.Let it go to $10/g.Builds character and perhaps the people will look at our leadership and make some adjustments.(Not that our votes count)

jayhawkerincali 6 years, 4 months ago

Only go as high as $4.15....I wish. God love LA, unleaded gas is $4.63 right now. I imagine I'll be paying $6 by the end of July. 'Bout time to move back to KS and ride a bike.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

I am relieved that gas prices aren't $10.Also, I wonder if bug-eyed sunglasses could be used as an alternative energy source. Talk about a plentiful resource!

ohjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

I don't believe that the prices will definitely not go above $4.15 the entire summer. It seems like gas price predictions are about like seasonal hurricane forecasts... too many variables for them to hold much water. I remember last October they were predicting that gas would be back down to $2.00/gallon by Thanksgiving.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 4 months ago

Tom Hilger 6 years, 4 months ago

Drive faster it uses more gas!

idarastar 6 years, 4 months ago

I don't care. I ride my bike. ;-)

canyon_wren 6 years, 4 months ago

What a dumb question! It kind of reminds me of an Ashley Brilliant quote that says "THANK YOU" in big letters and then, in smaller letters, "for not annoying me more than you do!"

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

The price of gas has doubled since the Democrats took control of Congress. Is there a causal relationship? Stay tuned.

iMaMoM 6 years, 4 months ago

LOL!! Very cute sgtwolverine!! Janis Joplin stylin'..........

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

My sis-in-law lives in Manhattan and sent me a bunch of photos she took of the damage. All I can say is "Wow!" Wish I knew how to post them to share.jonas, that was great!

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

no, I am not relieved. Eight years ago, we went on vacation to Houston, and gas was about $1.65 a gallon. That was considered high, and went down to 1.30Two years ago, we went to Colorado and South Dakota for a family reunion/vacation. Gas was 3.15 a gallon at the highest. And we were in sticker shock about how much more it cost us. Now, it's hovering around $4, and I think it will continue to rise. That's why we aren't going anywhere for vacation.

OZinAK 6 years, 4 months ago

Samsnewplace, unfortunatly, that's what a lot of people up here are doing. But my reasons to stay outway the reason to leave, but don't know for how long. I agree with you and Marion both, it certainly is my choice. It's not my choice, however, that my state has a $650million dollar surplus because of high fuel prices and it's not my choice that the oil compaines are making a larger profit than ever before. There are many ways for us to offset the cost. Installing a wood stove would be step one. It is much more afforable to live here when using a woodstove and fuel oil. Huge cost upfront, one I cannot afford, but a great idea. Except, if everyone installs a wood stove and our city suffers terrible inversion (it get's so cold that any moisture in the air crystalizes and is too heavy to rise making it impossible to see and with woodstoves burning and smoke lingering, impossible to breath) it will be even harder for us to comply with air quality regulations. By no means am I looking for sympathy. I already know what the winters are like in Kansas, I just thought I would share what they are like up here. Fortunalty, it's so damn cold we don't get the ice storms. Don't miss those! I do choose to live here and love every second of it. It's costly, but until you've seen a summer in Fairbanks, you've never seen a summer.As for Marion, he's offered a solution that is much easier said than done. It's damn expensive to pack up and leave. There is about 4500 miles between me and you! There was no 'blind faith'...I moved here with a man that grew up here. I knew exactly what I was in for. Do miss good ol Kansas, though. Especailly sitting on the porch watching and listening to those thunder storms. Ours are so lame!

JohnBrown 6 years, 4 months ago

When gas hit 30¢ a gallon I knew that somebody was going to do something about it. I knew this would surely be the impetus for someone to invent a cheaper way to get around. I thought the same thing when it 50¢. Now it's at $4 and Ford finally decided to retool from trucks and SUVs to cars....gee.

Bossa_Nova 6 years, 4 months ago

my dad's taurus averages 22 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. i drove it on the highway for a week doing 60 mph, the mpg went up to 28.

monkeyhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

"Does anyone else think it's lame that LJW has not one word on this site about KSU being hit by a tornado?"Don't you know that if it doesn't happen in Lawrence, it doesn't happen?Actually, one has to wonder why we have to go to KC and Topeka outlets to find out things that actually DO happen here.

OZinAK 6 years, 4 months ago

Marion, I respectfully disagree with your first "lie." Just because there isn't a fuel crisis where you are sitting now, does not mean that there isn't a fuel crisis elsewhere in the U.S. Currently, homes here in Fairbanks, Alaska are heated with fuel oil, which is costing $4.80/per gallon. It's a little easier for us in the summer, but in the winter when our temperatures can reach -50 degrees, we burn through this fuel quick. It costs us approx. $900 per month to heat our home in the winter (which was 7 months long this year, got our last snow on April 30). Add on top of that mortgage payments, electricty (which must be used to have the fuel oil heat the house) and everything else that goes into having a home and you've got what I call a crisis. Just food for thought.

samsnewplace 6 years, 4 months ago

OZinAK gotta agree with Marion, I think I would choose another state and relocate. I guess it's your choice if the cost to heat is worth the reason you are there and not somewhere more affordable. It's all about choice.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 4 months ago

The more the merrier.When figuring the war and military security for pipelines it is estimated americans are actually $14-$21 per gallon of gasoline....more than any other portion of the world.The largest contributor to increased gasoline prices is all americans who continue to buy no matter the cost.All americans who honestly believe the USA government can dictate the cost of doing business with oil suppliersAmericans who are living business as usual. Americans who refuse to walk,bike or use public transportation when in fact that is smart dollars and sense.Americans who refuse to drive 4 cylinder and or hybrid fuel efficient automobilesAmericans who believe oil products do not pollute in order to justify their desire to drive gas hogs. This is called denial.Americans who say I can afford gasoline no matter what. That my friends drives inflated pricing which screws everyone and makes zero dollars and sense.Wars for oil control are not free!All americans who believe it's okay for soldiers to die or become permanently disabled so long as it is not them or their children.Yes folks it is us screwing up our own cost of living instead demanding an end to all of the madness stated above. Instead we believe politicians!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

OZinAK, it sounds like the Grey Goose is riding Marion pretty hard tonight. He'll start making a lot of keying errors and then doze off under the coffee table in a little while.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

Gas prices have doubled since I last cleaned out the back seat of my car.

Mkh 6 years, 4 months ago

I believe what Marion is referring to in terms of there not being a "fuel crisis" is the theory of Gull Island and that America's Elite have Chosen to create a Peak Oil scenario while sitting on reserves larger than Saudi Arabia.I have to admit, the evidence of Gull Island is convincing, especially the testimony of Chaplin Lindsey Williams.www.americanfreepress.net/html/gull_island_oil.htmlwww.youtube.com/watch?v=NbakN7SLdbk

notajayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

JohnBrown (Anonymous) says: "When gas hit 30¢ a gallon I knew that somebody was going to do something about it. I knew this would surely be the impetus for someone to invent a cheaper way to get around. I thought the same thing when it 50¢. Now it's at $4 and Ford finally decided to retool from trucks and SUVs to cars:.gee."Uh, okay. The lighter, smaller, more aerodynamic, fuel-injected, computer controlled cars we drive today are the same as the 18-foot long two-ton+ V-8 carbureted 8-10 mpg gas hogs that we all drove before the car companies responded to the demand for fuel efficient vehicles? Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but the car companies went back to trucks and SUVs because that's what people wanted to buy.Corporations building what their customers want - what a concept.*****autie (Anonymous) says: "Hey, guess what genius? when my employees can't afford to drive to work cause fuel cost so friggin much..it is a crisis."Yes, but the crisis is that you aren't paying your employees enough. I live 55 miles from work and I can afford to get there. Why are you so stingy with the paychecks?*******OZinAK (Anonymous) says: "... it's not my choice that the oil compaines are making a larger profit than ever before."Well, technically it is. You're buying the stuff.By the way, it's not just gas that's so expensive up in Alaska, is it? Isn't it even more expensive to live there than in Hawaii?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes. I'm relieved...much in the same way that I'd be relieved if a tornado took my house, but left my garden shed intact.

salad 6 years, 4 months ago

Bring on the $5/gallon gas!!! Death to the SUV and all those like it!!!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

Gas prices have doubled since they were half what they are now. I blame it on the rain. Yeah, yeah.

OZinAK 6 years, 4 months ago

not singling me out? why keep using the word YOU then?I'm dealing with it, punk. It's quite apparent that you are just a pain (choice words omitted). Agree or disagree with you, I think I'll hold my tongue from now on. YOU are impossible.

OZinAK 6 years, 4 months ago

Choice indeed. I guess the way you see it, Marion, no one should live in a place where there are floods, tornados, or earthquakes either. I love the 'if you don't like it then move' bit.

samsnewplace 6 years, 4 months ago

NO, matter of fact, i've been upset since it went over $2.00 a gallon. I just love spending half my paycheck on fuel to commute, if you want to make a decent wage, you must drive out of the suburbs. I miss the gas wars when I was growing up when it was 19 cents a gallon and yes folks it wasn't so long ago!

craigers 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm still hacked about it reaching $3 a gallon, let alone $3.85 or $4.15!! Why would I be relieved that gas prices are still going to go up?

OZinAK 6 years, 4 months ago

I live approx. 3 miles from a the freaking Alaska pipeline and about 15 minutes from the refinery (Flint Hills out of Wichita if you can believe it) and I already pay almost $5! There are some places up here where gas is $8. So sad.

oldvet 6 years, 4 months ago

I just got back from a trip to Montreal where, after converting liters to gallons and CAN$ to US$, I paid $5.63 per gallon to fill the rental car before I turned it in...

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

Tomorrow on the OTS: Would you be glad if the bullet that was supposed to hit you in the chest only took your legs?Mike Smatnik: Barista Lawrence: No, it would still be a sign of gun proliferation, and it can only lead to the further loss of my arms and eventually my lungs and sexual organs. Clarise Starr: KU sophomore, Overland Park: Yeah, I guess I'd be glad, but I'd, ya'know, miss my legs after awhile. Marion Lynn: Marion Lynn, Lawrence: Well, people who had the money to afford to walk would be able to pay surgeons to repair their legs, and the people who didn't have any money would just alter their walking habits and make lifestyle changes, so I don't see a problem. Sarah Corratt: retail, Lawrence: My glasses are too big, I can't see my legs! Are you telling me that someone just shot me in the legs?!

Miss_Spent 6 years, 4 months ago

I like how they stick in the word "only" to try and bias people's answers. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be working.