Previous   Next

How old should someone be before they decide to get a tattoo?

Browse the archives

“I think 16. I think it’s their choice, and if they’re old enough to drive, they should be able to get a tattoo.”

“Probably 18, but a lot of it depends on what the tattoo is, where they’re getting it and the maturity level of the person.”

“I would say 15. It’s your skin, you should be able to do what you want with it.”

“When they’re old enough to know that they want that on their body for the rest of their life.”

“I think 16. If you are able to make the decisions you need to make to drive a car and be responsible for that level of independence, then you are responsible enough to make that decision.”

“I think they should wait until they’re 21. If you’re legally old enough to put something like alcohol into your body, then you’re old enough to draw all over the outside.”

“Sixteen or 17. They’re mature enough at that age, and that’s when most people start wanting to get them.”

“I’d say 16. If you can drive, then you should be able to get a tattoo.”

Related story

Comments

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

blue, I just showed that video to my girls. Their expressions of horror were priceless!

Crossfire 7 years, 1 month ago

Tattooed at birth...then you would not need to carry papers.A scan is all you would need to recover any info. about you.

james bush 7 years, 1 month ago

Tattoo-shop law should require that the tatooee's IQ level and blood-alcohol level be included in the artwork!

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

multiD: C'mon, I put in two years at the Total on 9th and Ohio back in my undergrad, and it is still one of favorite jobs. I made cartoons, constructed scale models of Stonehenge using 12 packs of coke, had my radio going and all that. What's wrong with gas stations?

OZinAK 7 years, 1 month ago

guess i thought that was important enough to say twice :-)

geekin_topekan 7 years, 1 month ago

15-21 seems to be the popular vote.Lessee,when I was in highschool the thought of turning 21 so i could legally buy my own booze was WAY far into the future.Too far in fact.Turning 30 was inconceivable.40 was my definition of "old".I am not sure that they comprehend the word "permanant".These kids make the claim that they know what they want and therefore they should be able to make such choices.And I believe they should have every right in the world to make them.But,if I owned a studio,I could not in good conscience apply needle to skin on anyone this young.

Jaminrawk 7 years, 1 month ago

I think it should be at least 21. If your are old enought to smoke, drink, vote, joint he army etc., you are old enough to gamble that you are going to like something on your skin for the rest of your life. I have one and it is a memorial tattoo for my deceased grandfather. That tattoo means a lot to me, but that is just me. If I would have gotten a tattoo at 16-18, I probably would have gotten a barbed wire armband or something tribal. I thank GOD that I waited until I was 28.

OZinAK 7 years, 1 month ago

Multi, EUDORA COPS! You must be kidding. I grew up in Eudora and there are very few (if any) reasons to be afraid to work at that kwik shop. Oh, memories. Thanks for that. Alaska is such a long way from there...

domino 7 years, 1 month ago

At my house, they have to be out on their own (as in not in college that I am helping pay for!), have a job to pay for it and not on my insurance any more!

Tom McCune 7 years, 1 month ago

"...The child is amoral. To our eyes, the cannibal is too. The cannibal kills his enemies and eats them. He is not a criminal. But when modern man kills someone and eats him he is either a criminal or a degenerate. The cannibal tattoos his skin, his boat, his paddles, in short everything he can lay hands on. He is not a criminal. The modern man who tattoos himself is either a criminal or a degenerate. There are prisons in which eighty per cent of the inmates show tattoos. The tattooed who are not in prison are latent criminals or degenerate aristocrats. If someone who is tattooed dies at liberty, it means he has died a few years before committing a murder. The urge to ornament one's face and everything within reach is the start of plastic art. It is the baby talk of painting...." Ornament and CrimeAdolf Loos1909

notajayhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

I think someone should be able to get a tattoo at any age they want one.Unless we're talking about my daughter, then it's at whatever age she happens to be when I die.

OZinAK 7 years, 1 month ago

Multi, Hope you didn't take offense, I didn't mean to belittle your fears for your children. How rude of me. I have my first baby on the way and am already terrified of the people she will be in contact with at some point or another in her life.Nonetheless, Eudora is a funny place, but aren't they all? I got my first (and only, so far) tattoo a few days before my 18th birthday. My father drew it and bought it for me, and a few months later inlayed the design on the first acoustic guitar he built for me. It's very special.

OZinAK 7 years, 1 month ago

Mulit, Hope you didn't take offense, I didn't mean to belittle your fears for your children. How rude of me. I have my first baby on the way and am already terrified of the people she will be in contact with at some point or another in her life.Nonetheless, Eudora is a funny place, but aren't they all? I got my first (and only, so far) tattoo a few days before my 18th birthday. My father drew it and bought it for me, and a few months later inlayed the design on the first acoustic guitar he built for me. It's very special.

alm77 7 years, 1 month ago

I think you should have to wait until you're old enough to know better and still too young to care. So, that'd be about 30 or so.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 1 month ago

People have been getting tatoos forever. This is not new. No one will care in due time. All those who think they might care will likely be in the cemetery before it becomes an issue. All will be home free.

alm77 7 years, 1 month ago

Better than sounding like ignorant trash.