Previous   Next

Will the shortage of safe-to-eat tomatoes affect your diet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 10, 2008

Browse the archives

“Farmers’ Market, Farmers’ Market, Farmers’ Market. This is why you buy local. It may cost a little more, but they care what’s going into your food. So buy locally, and keep the money in our community. Get to know your grower.”

“I’m not a big fan of tomatoes. I only like them on bruschetta, so unless I’m eating in an Italian restaurant soon, it shouldn’t affect me.”

“I love tomatoes, so of course I’m going to have to make an adjustment. I guess I’ll just have to do without until they become available.”

“Yes, I love tomatoes. I have some grape tomatoes that I’m still eating, but after that I probably won’t be buying any more until everything clears up.”

Related story

Comments

budwhysir 7 years, 1 month ago

I am so lost. My entire diet contained tomatoes in every dish. What will I do????

Eric Neuteboom 7 years, 1 month ago

Actually, Agnostick, tomatoes have been at the Lawrence Farmers' Market for weeks. Just gotta get there early...

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

Tomatoes were once called Poison Love Apples. Maybe our ancestors knew something.

dajudge 7 years, 1 month ago

I prefer to get my salmonella poisoning from cantaloupes and chicken.But, in a pinch, I suppose I can try tomatoes. Probably a different strain.If that doesn't work, I'll go for the E. coli. in the hamburger.Anything to get a day off from work.

Bossa_Nova 7 years, 1 month ago

OH NO! BRACE YOURSELVES! WE'RE ALL GONNA STARVE!

Eric Neuteboom 7 years, 1 month ago

I hate bunnies and squirrels Blue73! Furry little thieves took our best tomatoes all last year. Something I've heard is an effective deterrant (but not yet tried) is to leave a radio in your garden. According to my barber (where else could you get such info?) the noise startles them, and keeps them out.

greenvera 7 years, 1 month ago

So this story seemed to evaporate in the mist of the tomato scare.http://www.wesh.com/health/16488170/detail.htmlAvian flu in Tyson chicken. I guess we know where the FDAs' priorities and friends lie.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 1 month ago

There are some beautiful local greenhouse tomatoes floating around in Checkers and at the Merc.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

No. I'm not afraid of a little salmonella in my tomatoes. I'll just cook everything until my plants are producing...or get them from my local farmers. Ms_C, maybe, if you follow up that sandwich with a glass of whiskey, it'll kill any bacteria looming in your stomach.

Adrienne Sanders 7 years, 1 month ago

This is so stupid... the FDA doesn't even know where the "tainted" tomatoes are supposedly coming from. Just cook them into a nice sauce and you have no reason to worry.

classclown 7 years, 1 month ago

jonas (Anonymous) says:No. Tomatoes are evil.=====================================Only these kind.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080391/Did you have a similar experience?

classclown 7 years, 1 month ago

Lily Boyce I hope you're pronouncing bruschetta correctly or Aaron Clary may track you down and cringe.

trinity 7 years, 1 month ago

hah class you beat me to it! i remember that brouhaha! :)i'm staying the hell out of the merc&checkers-if there are tomatoes floating around i for one do not care to witness nor be injured by that spectacle.

ms_canada 7 years, 1 month ago

Oh such wise words from sunny sue and TOB. I do thank you and I feel so much better. That whisky (the spelling of the Scots) did the job.

schula 7 years, 1 month ago

Coach Eric -- I have heard that planting marigolds around the garden will keep the bunnies out.

ms_canada 7 years, 1 month ago

Oh my gosh, I just ate a grilled tomato and cheese sandwich for my breakfast!!! What should I do now? Maybe I'll rush to the ER. Or maybe not.

Dixie Jones 7 years, 1 month ago

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH not the killer tomatoesssssssssssssssssss

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

Coach_eric, having a wolf pee around the perimeter of your garden might help keep the varmits out.

ms_canada 7 years, 1 month ago

Now I have to trust that the mushrooms that are cooking at this moment in Mushroom Bisque will not do me in today. I did put some Marsala wine in it just to make sure.

May Soo 7 years, 1 month ago

Samuel Gould, disabled, Lawrence----------------------Ok, I have seem more and more of this, but what exactly does this mean? Is disabled a new professional now or what's the deal here?

Linda Aikins 7 years, 1 month ago

No 'maters for me, except in salsa. Maybe we should stockpile them and throw them at our TV when Katie is on? Since we're all gonna die? perhaps not.

looza 7 years, 1 month ago

I love maters! I eat mater soup, yum yum!

riverdrifter 7 years, 1 month ago

Three more weeks and I'll be over-run with 'maters. Meanwhile, where can I get some of these poison 'maters to throw at Carl Peterson, GM of the Chiefs?

notajayhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

themiddlechild (Anonymous) says: "Ok, I have seem more and more of this, but what exactly does this mean? Is disabled a new professional now or what's the deal here?"I think it's the street a few blocks east of Haskell...