Previous   Next

Will the shortage of safe-to-eat tomatoes affect your diet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 10, 2008

Browse the archives

“Farmers’ Market, Farmers’ Market, Farmers’ Market. This is why you buy local. It may cost a little more, but they care what’s going into your food. So buy locally, and keep the money in our community. Get to know your grower.”

“I’m not a big fan of tomatoes. I only like them on bruschetta, so unless I’m eating in an Italian restaurant soon, it shouldn’t affect me.”

“I love tomatoes, so of course I’m going to have to make an adjustment. I guess I’ll just have to do without until they become available.”

“Yes, I love tomatoes. I have some grape tomatoes that I’m still eating, but after that I probably won’t be buying any more until everything clears up.”

Related story

Comments

notajayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

themiddlechild (Anonymous) says: "Ok, I have seem more and more of this, but what exactly does this mean? Is disabled a new professional now or what's the deal here?"I think it's the street a few blocks east of Haskell...

riverdrifter 5 years, 10 months ago

Three more weeks and I'll be over-run with 'maters. Meanwhile, where can I get some of these poison 'maters to throw at Carl Peterson, GM of the Chiefs?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Kinda surprised no one has signed on as Katie_Heirloom yet.

00 5 years, 10 months ago

It doesn't say whether or not he's mentally disabled, emotionally disabled, or physically disabled. Or any combination thereof.

themiddlechild 5 years, 10 months ago

Samuel Gould, disabled, Lawrence----------------------Ok, I have seem more and more of this, but what exactly does this mean? Is disabled a new professional now or what's the deal here?

Bossa_Nova 5 years, 10 months ago

OH NO! BRACE YOURSELVES! WE'RE ALL GONNA STARVE!

looza 5 years, 10 months ago

I love maters! I eat mater soup, yum yum!

Dixie Jones 5 years, 10 months ago

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH not the killer tomatoesssssssssssssssssss

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says: Tomatoes were once called Poison Love Apples. Maybe our ancestors knew something.----Is this related to the saying..'She's one hot tomato!"?

autie 5 years, 10 months ago

MD, I'm kinda a thinking that vinegar provides a fairly hostile enviornment for the little bugs. Those big jars of hard boiled eggs in the bar, unrefrigerated? Pickle juice? Now I'm in the mood for a bowl of ice cold purple onions, tomatos and cucumbers..summer delight.

00 5 years, 10 months ago

Okay, so they know it's salmonella....but where, when, and how did this all happen?Honestly, last year when all of the Peter Pan peanut butter was taken off the shelves and did not return for six months---now that really bummed me out! Peter Pan is my favorite peanut butter!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

hehehe. good on ms_c!---cool (Anonymous) says: multi- they are not ready yet.anticipation !----Anticipation...one sort of spice?Also, as I recall, fried eggplant was pretty good too.____I wonder if a good vinegar soak would kill the bug..as in sliced onions, tomatos and whatever it was mom used to put in the bowl.Cukes, that was it.

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

Now I have to trust that the mushrooms that are cooking at this moment in Mushroom Bisque will not do me in today. I did put some Marsala wine in it just to make sure.

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh such wise words from sunny sue and TOB. I do thank you and I feel so much better. That whisky (the spelling of the Scots) did the job.

autie 5 years, 10 months ago

I believe to be safe, I will do a variation of sunflower_sue's suggestion. From now on, marinate all tomato slices in scotch...that will add a little extra zest to my grilled burgers..

cool 5 years, 10 months ago

multi- they are not ready yet.anticipation !new discovery is using a combination of matzo meal/cornmeal/gluten-free baking mix for breading with of course salt/pepper.

Gootsie 5 years, 10 months ago

No 'maters for me, except in salsa. Maybe we should stockpile them and throw them at our TV when Katie is on? Since we're all gonna die? perhaps not.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 10 months ago

No. I'm not afraid of a little salmonella in my tomatoes. I'll just cook everything until my plants are producing...or get them from my local farmers. Ms_C, maybe, if you follow up that sandwich with a glass of whiskey, it'll kill any bacteria looming in your stomach.

dajudge 5 years, 10 months ago

I prefer to get my salmonella poisoning from cantaloupes and chicken.But, in a pinch, I suppose I can try tomatoes. Probably a different strain.If that doesn't work, I'll go for the E. coli. in the hamburger.Anything to get a day off from work.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Are you growing your own green ones? Or have you found a source?Do tell. Can I have some?(my mama was a southern belle)

cool 5 years, 10 months ago

NOi am just frying the green ones !

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

I would wonder if a "chemical reactor operator" might not glow enough to kill and bacteria on the food he handles.;)The kid at the Arby's drive thru last night said he was off sick yesterday with the "tomato thing". He said it wasn't bad, just a 24 hr thing.I didn't want to tell him the tomato "thing" is a 4-7 day "thing".Thanks for the tip folks. Last night,seeing as how the Taco Bell had no tomatoes (some places are tossing all salsas, etc too) that I might plant some tomatoes in the front garden.1) remembered, I gave away the tomato wire supports..drats.2) Now you warn me of the wabbits. We have dozens of them, and some live under that porch right there by the garden. It's planted full of marigolds (not my choice) but I can't tell you if it keeps the bunnies out or not. They sure hang out not far from there.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

Ms. Canada -In the wise and prudent words of our long departed brother, One More Bob... "We're all going to die. Just probably not today." I think you are ok.

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh my gosh, I just ate a grilled tomato and cheese sandwich for my breakfast!!! What should I do now? Maybe I'll rush to the ER. Or maybe not.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

Coach Eric -I don't have issues with wabbits. The wife's barking lemur keeps them away. The long-furry tailed rats require a different solution. Daisy is the name.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

Coach_Eric, I have heard that growing your plants indoors will keep the bunny foo foo at bay.http://hightimes.com/grow/ht_admin/2558

budwhysir 5 years, 10 months ago

I am so lost. My entire diet contained tomatoes in every dish. What will I do????

greenvera 5 years, 10 months ago

So this story seemed to evaporate in the mist of the tomato scare.http://www.wesh.com/health/16488170/detail.htmlAvian flu in Tyson chicken. I guess we know where the FDAs' priorities and friends lie.

schula 5 years, 10 months ago

Coach Eric -- I have heard that planting marigolds around the garden will keep the bunnies out.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

Coach_eric, having a wolf pee around the perimeter of your garden might help keep the varmits out.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

There's absolutely nothing wrong with ketchup.

prospector 5 years, 10 months ago

My buddy Eric told me that playing "Thrasher" keeps the hippies out. Did any one try that this weekend?

prospector 5 years, 10 months ago

Jonas is right about store bought. I eat the ones I grow or someone I know grows only.Blue, you might have to go all Marion on them. "Two to the body and one to the head.".

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 10 months ago

I hate bunnies and squirrels Blue73! Furry little thieves took our best tomatoes all last year. Something I've heard is an effective deterrant (but not yet tried) is to leave a radio in your garden. According to my barber (where else could you get such info?) the noise startles them, and keeps them out.

blue73harley 5 years, 10 months ago

Damn bunnies ate our 'mater plants!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

When I heard the news on the radio, I thought they said said salmonella scare was linked to tornados.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

Red plum was the other variety. And, go buy yourself some Israeli tomatoes!"Not associated with the outbreak are raw Roma, red plum and round red tomatoes from Arkansas, California, Georgia, Hawaii, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Belgium, Canada, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Israel, Netherlands and Puerto Rico."

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm still buying my tomatoes until they are ready in my garden. I have a hard time believing every single tomato in the US is tainted. Last I heard, the only ones with potential issues are a variety of Roma, Red Round, and something else. Kudos to the FDA for being on top of this, but I think some businesses are going overboard at this point. Mad Cow Disease didn't even cause this much hysteria.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 10 months ago

Actually, Agnostick, tomatoes have been at the Lawrence Farmers' Market for weeks. Just gotta get there early...

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 10 months ago

This is so stupid... the FDA doesn't even know where the "tainted" tomatoes are supposedly coming from. Just cook them into a nice sauce and you have no reason to worry.

trinity 5 years, 10 months ago

hah class you beat me to it! i remember that brouhaha! :)i'm staying the hell out of the merc&checkers-if there are tomatoes floating around i for one do not care to witness nor be injured by that spectacle.

classclown 5 years, 10 months ago

Lily Boyce I hope you're pronouncing bruschetta correctly or Aaron Clary may track you down and cringe.

classclown 5 years, 10 months ago

jonas (Anonymous) says:No. Tomatoes are evil.=====================================Only these kind.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080391/Did you have a similar experience?

Richard Heckler 5 years, 10 months ago

There are some beautiful local greenhouse tomatoes floating around in Checkers and at the Merc.

Agnostick 5 years, 10 months ago

Stanley's right... although it'll be another 4-5 weeks, probably, before tomatoes really start showing up in farmers markets.Meanwhile... V8, Ragu, Pace Thick & Chunky, etc.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago