Previous   Next

Do you compost?

Asked at Wakarusa Music and Camping Festival on June 7, 2008

Browse the archives

“I would compost if I lived somewhere where I could grow stuff.”

“No, but I think it’s great it’s happening at the festival.”

“I don’t compost because I don’t have a use for it, but if you are going to have your own garden, I’m all for it.”

“I recycle but I don’t compost because I haven’t taken the time to learn about it.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

stop! hawklet! put down that bottle of patchouli, take off them sandals. walk over to burgerking and have a double wopper with cheese. etc. you can fight this. if you need help, we'll get you a tractor-beam.

hawklet21 5 years, 10 months ago

I will compost either when I own my own home, or when I rent something with more than a tiny back deck/porch! It is a great idea...In KC, where (I think) you pay by the bag for your trash, it would help cut those costs for extra bags, and it also makes excellent soil. I would love to have a garden with plenty of rich compost soil to use in it. Feeling...too ...hippie...must...stop... :)

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

snap writes:stillhavingawonderfulinternetlife.

budwhysir 5 years, 10 months ago

I am very good at composting the stale leftover quotes and information shared in the daily blogs around here.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh, snap, you are such a buffoon!Every website occasionally experiences server issues, especially when the server is updating.And just why is it that you are so concerned about that "certain forum"?To use the vernacular of the cyber loons, are you "stalking"?Lol!And "snap", here you are on the 'net!Not quite a rickroll but it will do 'til I figure out something better!http://vwohsnap.ytmnd.com/

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

Looks like a certain 'forum' is still down. Maybe somebody called for a "blue security" on them.Chickens,roosts,youdothe math.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

The Walmart parking lot is amusing when it rains then shines. So many cars drip oil, then the rain rinses it all down to the store.lovely puddles and streams of color.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 10 months ago

I guess I'm obsessed, since I do compost. Seriously, if you compost, and recycle, you don't have to take out the garbage as often. All of those vegetable scraps and coffee grounds can go outside to the pile, as opposed to stinking up the vicinity of your garbage can.

bennyoates 5 years, 10 months ago

Allen Ginsberg and Peter Orlovsky wrote cool poems about composting.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

prospector,my internetlifeisbothwonderfuland spam-free.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

I have been composting my used motor oil and chemical waste for years.You should see all pretty colors when it rains::like a rainbow running to the sea.--crosstalkROTFLMAO! you sure do know how to be a good little greeniewheenie, don't you ol' Crosstalk! ever try lighting that rainbow river, say on the 4th of july, just for effect?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

Ms-canadaI think you missed my pun! "fowl odor ..." well, am better now, had a damned bad sinus infection, just got over it, thank God! nice to see you on here ma'am. still reading, getting a lot out of a book on the folklore and the sea.

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

Compost does not have to emit a foul odor if done properly. When I had a big garden I composted everything not edible. I made a box of 2X12s and layered 4 inches of garden refuse then sprinkled on some nitrogen and then about an inch of soil and continued that way layering. In the spring it was pretty good stuff to dig into the garden soil again. and it did not stink at all. Hi to bearded gnome, how are you fella????

prospector 5 years, 10 months ago

snap, Howis yourwonderfulinternetlifegoing?Speaking of compost, it has to be better than Girlfriend's. She needs to be waking up her Russian web guru. Oreadinn dot com, etal, has a critical error going on. You knew that steaming pile would end up like this.

Crossfire 5 years, 10 months ago

I have been composting my used motor oil and chemical waste for years.You should see all pretty colors when it rains......like a rainbow running to the sea.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

Sunny-sue,that kind of compost emits a fowl odor! watch out for eating those vegetables you raise that way Snappy, you may start thinking that power outages are good because they force conservation of electricity, and that broken streets are good because they can be passive traffic control devices. I'll be watching for signs of creeping cut-and-pasteism in your postings, too. so, be careful my friend! its Mulch Madness! however, since the compost is from waky fest, do we need an environmental impact study before that compost is deployed anywhere? who knows what additional substances, residues, etc., have made their way into that compost? ***answer the question: no, not yet, but when I do, I will emit a very bad odor so compost me way out in the backyard!

BigPrune 5 years, 10 months ago

Nope, never composted, not obsessed enough to become an enviromental. I also don't recycle unless you call giving back to earth what it gave me, recycling.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 10 months ago

snap, har!I throw all leftovers to the chickens. They'll eat just about anything...as long as it's not in the onion family. Oh, and they won't eat bananas. Is that like composting? (Didn't think so.) Oh well! We do have a compost heap, but we just have a neighbor drop off whatever they scrape out of the horse barn. Then, we get the skid-stear and mix the poop with old straw and dirt. We let it steam for a few months and...Viola! Soil! Yummy, yummy, delicious smelling soil. Was that too graphic?

dajudge 5 years, 10 months ago

I can't compost. I have a cloaca.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

I print out all of merrill's posts and compost that. You wouldn't believe how the cucumbers are growing!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

I use a modified version of the Indian Bangalore method.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

Kind of a personal question, geez!

prospector 5 years, 10 months ago

I will when I'm dead and "pushing up Daisies". It's that "dust to dust" thing none of us can avoid.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Yes. I toss the remains of my day into the threads here. That gets mixed with variable applications of kit and kaboodle : from the highest quality leftover gold dust to the foulest silage from the gutter drains.Toss a few times, let it ripen in the sun, and hopefully I'm rewarded with fodder for another day.

milkman_dan 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm a huge composter; sometimes it requires two flushes. Call me a bragger..