Previous   Next

Do you think Obama can win Kansas in the general election?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 5, 2008

Browse the archives

“No. Kansas is going to be Republican, obviously. I think Lawrence is the only liberal town in Kansas.”

“No I do not, because Kansas is not ready for a Democrat. It’s a Republican state and wouldn’t have gone to Clinton, either. It won’t even be close.”

“I think he can, but I might be biased because I want him to win. I don’t think he is as deeply connected to all of the insider politics going on. There are still a few people who want to help every American, and I hope people in Kansas see that.”

“No, it’s a Republican state. Of course the Democrats did pretty well last election, but I don’t think it will happen.”

Comments

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 10 months ago

The only problem for the GOP is a candidate who is brain dead. He is the worst candidate in many, many years. During debates Obama will destroy him. I have faith in Kansans they will see a real "winner" and do the right thing. Obama has an excellent chance since the GOP isn't fielding a candidate worthy.

Dixie Jones 5 years, 10 months ago

anythings gotta be better than what we have now... personally im doing a write in..... larry the cable guy..... i mean come on hes gotta be better than what we have laid before us.........they are all jokes and he tells em....good day all

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

ms_c, it seems like a lot of people are pretty angry about the CBC dropping the classic Hockey Night music, so I suspect they'll end up going back to it. I'm not Canadian, but I'm close enough to Windsor to watch the CBC, and I love that theme song. It's actually a ringer on my phone for my hockey fan friends.I'm doing well; my spring sports (baseball and soccer) are coming to a close, so I have a flurry of activity (putting together the photo books) and then a bit of a break from sports.I'm glad to hear your hockey player is doing well; we just had a local hockey player sign with a good high-level university program in Boston, so hockey people here are excited. It's a good sign for the local high school program.

tonythetiger 5 years, 10 months ago

Well I am not sure if Obama will take Kansas or all the states.I do know that there once was someone in town that could have been a local politician, he almost spoke French and read letters by the Medecines sans Frontiers but instead...chocolate and the milkshake clan with the Michael Anthony Hall Weird Science was more important so there it goes I am not sure he will make an international difference and domestic policies instead.Neville Bron slit the throat of his own country by selling someone out because he was not ...... and sided with people that looked like him because he was convinced anything anyone that looked like him said was true about anyone else.I guess we could all learn a lesson. Maybe Obama above McCain but maybe not. Whatever.Think globally, Act locally.So be politically correct and harass someone all you can.

sinedie 5 years, 10 months ago

I will probably vote for Obama, but to say he will win Kansas is wishful thinking. He'll probably win DG, though :)

p_riapism 5 years, 10 months ago

I think Kansas voters will be hard on Obama

janeyb 5 years, 10 months ago

No Way. There will be a huge senior turnout that wasn't able to attend the caucases because of the weather and they will vote for their posterboy John McCain. Western Kansas goes completely McCain.

Windlass 5 years, 10 months ago

Much better chance of beating grandpa in the one that counts.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Yup suhr, 'cuz gran-ma got, uh, runned over by a raindear jist the last winter and time.

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

sgt - no I did not see that or hear about it. Thanks for the tip-off. Things do change but is it for the better or worse. I bet the $500 per game had something to do with the change. How are you doing sgt.? My hockey player is back home for the summer in Lethbridge. He hopes to go back with Norfolk Admirals in the fall. I say good luck to him, but sure would rather see him playing for University of Calgary. They offered him a scholarship last fall, but the lure of the big time is too great. Well, almost big time. :o)

BABBOY 5 years, 10 months ago

He can. Not likely. But, possible. Much better chance of beating grandpa in the one that counts.

prospector 5 years, 10 months ago

Well, a Fluffer got in under the radar.Someone will be dissapeareded soon.

full_blown_erection 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh, yes, of course he will!All them nice white completely open-minded non-bigoted folks out in western Kansas are just gonna come out in droves and vote for the man come this November! I just know they will!

consumer1 5 years, 10 months ago

If clinton is his VP then no, otherwise, yes. I am middle of the road, and I will vote for him, but only if clinton is NOT his running mate.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

snap, yeah, she provided one of the more infamous national anthem moments. Fortunately, the Wings haven't gone the celebrity anthem route since then. And if they did, I think they would probably use their current famous fan: Kid Rock. (After a victory earlier in the series, the cover of the Detroit News featured a photo of a player celebrating a goal with Kid Rock in the background. It was actually a great photo.)TOB, there is a team in Columbus, and they're in the same division. But they're not very good, so playing Ohio State might be a better idea.Hey, ms_c ... did you see this?http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080605/METRO/806050477/1361

Windlass 5 years, 10 months ago

If we moved Lawrence 20 or so miles away, with gas prices in outer space like they are, the hicks in their pickups wouldn't have any means left to find, and tresspass, against us, make us awful and backwards, and teach us how to hate through prayer. And schuck corn...Where or where is minari/minac/minatorius/minatory/Marion sharpening his claws today I wonder....

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

I did not ask the above question in a vane of sarcasm, althouhg it seems that way. my reason for asking was because here in Canada we do not actually cast a vote for our Prime Minister, we vote the party or which ever candidate we think would best represent our constituency. Although I am a Conservative, in provincial elections I have been voting New Democratic party candidate because he is a good fellow. Does that make sense to any of you?

Windlass 5 years, 10 months ago

correction --- load up the truck

Windlass 5 years, 10 months ago

and here Kansas is so huge, so square, so red....but the rednecks want to be seen and heard in blue, blue Lawrence??? Like what? They can't stretch out in all those rolling hills of grain and wheat and corn, oh yeah, soybeans, too, right? All those red, redneck cowboys and their little cowgirls all load up the trick and head off to (gulp) Lawrence.

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

Can a canuck ask a question of you all? Would a Republican vote that slate no matter who the candidate was? Oh no, what a stupid question, of course he would as attested to by the last federal election.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

bea,You realize question is about Senator Obama, not Bob the Builder...

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

Sarge - Oh yeah, congrats on the NHL championship. You are lucky they didn't have to play Ohio State. ;)

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

sgt, wasn't Lucy Lawless a Red Wings fan?

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't know, but I do know that the Red Wings won another championship last night, which is awesome. And really, sports are so much better than politics.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 10 months ago

Snap -I guess the LJW does have standards. That article was so factually incorrect I can't believe the author still has a job. Maybe he doesn't anymore. Like I said on that thread, I don't give a rat's hiney if you are against CCL, but don't feed us lies and misinformation to support your position. I'm generally happy with the hometown paper, but that was atrocious.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

R_I, if that's what floats yer boat, go right ahead.In other news, today's two stories dealing with concealed carry seem to been disappeareded from the LJW site.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

Snap,How about goats and dandelions?.Unicorns scare me and I'm allergic to roses.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

Unicorns and roses for everybody!

LiberalDude 5 years, 10 months ago

Yes, Obama can and will win Kansas!

conservativepunker 5 years, 10 months ago

No. And let's hope that Pinko doesn't win in general.

small_fish_in_small_pond 5 years, 10 months ago

No, we are still a racist state, though not as bad as others.

le 5 years, 10 months ago

P.S. ..enjoy the taste of my butt as you are kissing it..it taste just like chicken! And we all know how much republicans love chicken..and it is the food of choice for Obama..well..at least the evil half!

Newell_Post 5 years, 10 months ago

Agreed, nobody....I think it is very interesting that the Libertarians nominated Bob Barr. That is the first competent politician who actually knows how to campaign that they have nominated in a long time. Barr certainly isn't a stereotypical Libertarian, but he wasn't a stereotypical Republican, either. Quite a few people wanted the Libertarians to nominate Ron Paul, but Barr might actually have broader appeal, if he can get the necessary publicity.The outrageous behavior of the theofascist wing of the Republican party over the past 20 years is driving many registered Republicans (like me) to vote entirely for Libertarians or Democrats next time.

le 5 years, 10 months ago

Lisa..Lisa...you poor misguided idiot! Obama Osama has no chance in the land of ooze! Kansas oozes republican retardism! And not only that their is not near enough uneducated Black people in kansas to give him enough racial biased votes! Hey ..I am simply stating the facts..I am the only person on here that will lay it out to you in a honest form..so dont be mad...Now you may kiss my butt!

macon47 5 years, 10 months ago

I would encourage people to vote for Osamaba. It would be simply charming To see the women of Lawrence strolling aroundcampus,, Art in the park, farmers market, and downtown In their burqas. Can you imagine the fashion statement It would make at the Bourgeois Pig?, what a hoot !

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 10 months ago

Where do you buy one of these lottery tickets?I'd like to have my own State.

canyon_wren 5 years, 10 months ago

Not a chance! I think Kansas might at some point go for a Democrat--but not this Democrat and certainly not if he weakens and picks Clinton for a running mate. There might be an off chance of him getting it with Sebelius as VP, but I wouldn't put money on that.

nobody1793 5 years, 10 months ago

If the libertarians steal 5-6% of the vote, it might be closer than people think.

jonas 5 years, 10 months ago

What a dumb question. Of course he can't.

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 10 months ago

"So long and thanks for all the fish"as I was suppose to write the other day.I am sorry for breaking the remote control of me to claim my independence from what you all expected whatever that might have actually been save not work at Wild Oats. I guess I like to do things my way. Doesn't everyone? Who is my boss now anyway?I would like to say good bye to everyone that has been so helpful along the way.Mr. Dream maker, Debbie R.(for her appearances in my dreams) as well as Christi B. for the same reasons and the incredibly interactive amounts they played in participating in my real life.I am not sure why they were so elemental.I am leaving tomorrow if anyone wants to chase me down to say goodbye.Please do not follow me there.

armyguy 5 years, 10 months ago

Gosh, I hope nobody tells the Governor, Attorney General, Dennis Moore, etc that Kansas is a Republican only state; because I am sure they will not run for office. I for one, will wait and see who both sides pick for a running mate and their stance on issues that concern me before I decide.