Previous   Next

Do you think Obama can win Kansas in the general election?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 5, 2008

Browse the archives

“No. Kansas is going to be Republican, obviously. I think Lawrence is the only liberal town in Kansas.”

“No I do not, because Kansas is not ready for a Democrat. It’s a Republican state and wouldn’t have gone to Clinton, either. It won’t even be close.”

“I think he can, but I might be biased because I want him to win. I don’t think he is as deeply connected to all of the insider politics going on. There are still a few people who want to help every American, and I hope people in Kansas see that.”

“No, it’s a Republican state. Of course the Democrats did pretty well last election, but I don’t think it will happen.”

Comments

nobody1793 6 years, 5 months ago

If the libertarians steal 5-6% of the vote, it might be closer than people think.

armyguy 6 years, 5 months ago

Gosh, I hope nobody tells the Governor, Attorney General, Dennis Moore, etc that Kansas is a Republican only state; because I am sure they will not run for office. I for one, will wait and see who both sides pick for a running mate and their stance on issues that concern me before I decide.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

What a dumb question. Of course he can't.

canyon_wren 6 years, 5 months ago

Not a chance! I think Kansas might at some point go for a Democrat--but not this Democrat and certainly not if he weakens and picks Clinton for a running mate. There might be an off chance of him getting it with Sebelius as VP, but I wouldn't put money on that.

sinedie 6 years, 5 months ago

I will probably vote for Obama, but to say he will win Kansas is wishful thinking. He'll probably win DG, though :)

Newell_Post 6 years, 5 months ago

Agreed, nobody....I think it is very interesting that the Libertarians nominated Bob Barr. That is the first competent politician who actually knows how to campaign that they have nominated in a long time. Barr certainly isn't a stereotypical Libertarian, but he wasn't a stereotypical Republican, either. Quite a few people wanted the Libertarians to nominate Ron Paul, but Barr might actually have broader appeal, if he can get the necessary publicity.The outrageous behavior of the theofascist wing of the Republican party over the past 20 years is driving many registered Republicans (like me) to vote entirely for Libertarians or Democrats next time.

ms_canada 6 years, 5 months ago

I did not ask the above question in a vane of sarcasm, althouhg it seems that way. my reason for asking was because here in Canada we do not actually cast a vote for our Prime Minister, we vote the party or which ever candidate we think would best represent our constituency. Although I am a Conservative, in provincial elections I have been voting New Democratic party candidate because he is a good fellow. Does that make sense to any of you?

full_blown_erection 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh, yes, of course he will!All them nice white completely open-minded non-bigoted folks out in western Kansas are just gonna come out in droves and vote for the man come this November! I just know they will!

conservativepunker 6 years, 5 months ago

No. And let's hope that Pinko doesn't win in general.

ms_canada 6 years, 5 months ago

sgt - no I did not see that or hear about it. Thanks for the tip-off. Things do change but is it for the better or worse. I bet the $500 per game had something to do with the change. How are you doing sgt.? My hockey player is back home for the summer in Lethbridge. He hopes to go back with Norfolk Admirals in the fall. I say good luck to him, but sure would rather see him playing for University of Calgary. They offered him a scholarship last fall, but the lure of the big time is too great. Well, almost big time. :o)

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

snap, yeah, she provided one of the more infamous national anthem moments. Fortunately, the Wings haven't gone the celebrity anthem route since then. And if they did, I think they would probably use their current famous fan: Kid Rock. (After a victory earlier in the series, the cover of the Detroit News featured a photo of a player celebrating a goal with Kid Rock in the background. It was actually a great photo.)TOB, there is a team in Columbus, and they're in the same division. But they're not very good, so playing Ohio State might be a better idea.Hey, ms_c ... did you see this?http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080605/METRO/806050477/1361

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

R_I, if that's what floats yer boat, go right ahead.In other news, today's two stories dealing with concealed carry seem to been disappeareded from the LJW site.

tonythetiger 6 years, 5 months ago

Well I am not sure if Obama will take Kansas or all the states.I do know that there once was someone in town that could have been a local politician, he almost spoke French and read letters by the Medecines sans Frontiers but instead...chocolate and the milkshake clan with the Michael Anthony Hall Weird Science was more important so there it goes I am not sure he will make an international difference and domestic policies instead.Neville Bron slit the throat of his own country by selling someone out because he was not ...... and sided with people that looked like him because he was convinced anything anyone that looked like him said was true about anyone else.I guess we could all learn a lesson. Maybe Obama above McCain but maybe not. Whatever.Think globally, Act locally.So be politically correct and harass someone all you can.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't know, but I do know that the Red Wings won another championship last night, which is awesome. And really, sports are so much better than politics.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

sgt, wasn't Lucy Lawless a Red Wings fan?

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 5 months ago

The only problem for the GOP is a candidate who is brain dead. He is the worst candidate in many, many years. During debates Obama will destroy him. I have faith in Kansans they will see a real "winner" and do the right thing. Obama has an excellent chance since the GOP isn't fielding a candidate worthy.

ms_canada 6 years, 5 months ago

Can a canuck ask a question of you all? Would a Republican vote that slate no matter who the candidate was? Oh no, what a stupid question, of course he would as attested to by the last federal election.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

ms_c, it seems like a lot of people are pretty angry about the CBC dropping the classic Hockey Night music, so I suspect they'll end up going back to it. I'm not Canadian, but I'm close enough to Windsor to watch the CBC, and I love that theme song. It's actually a ringer on my phone for my hockey fan friends.I'm doing well; my spring sports (baseball and soccer) are coming to a close, so I have a flurry of activity (putting together the photo books) and then a bit of a break from sports.I'm glad to hear your hockey player is doing well; we just had a local hockey player sign with a good high-level university program in Boston, so hockey people here are excited. It's a good sign for the local high school program.

janeyb 6 years, 5 months ago

No Way. There will be a huge senior turnout that wasn't able to attend the caucases because of the weather and they will vote for their posterboy John McCain. Western Kansas goes completely McCain.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 5 months ago

anythings gotta be better than what we have now... personally im doing a write in..... larry the cable guy..... i mean come on hes gotta be better than what we have laid before us.........they are all jokes and he tells em....good day all