Previous   Next

How do you think law enforcement agencies could save money on gasoline?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 2, 2008

Browse the archives

“Maybe more bike and foot patrols. In a town like this, it seems like that would be more plausible. They could also consider buying hybrid or electric cars. I think the investment would pay off.”

“The only thing I can think of is to make sure they’re turning their cars off any time they’re going to be sitting in one place for an extended period of time.”

“Maybe have more officers on foot patrol, especially in Lawrence because it’s pretty pedestrian-friendly. They could also consider buying different cars that are more efficient but still capable of pursuit.”

“I don’t see many motorcycle cops around, so they might consider using more of them. They can’t really bike everywhere, and hybrids are too expensive and can’t do much in a pursuit.”

Comments

fu7il3 6 years, 1 month ago

It's sort of a conundrum. They want to save money on fuel, but at the same time, I want them to be able to get to me as fast as possible if I am in trouble and be able to catch someone. How are they supposed to catch a Mustang if they are in a golf cart?

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years, 1 month ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says: Siphon it from parking violators.Off topic, but did any of you see the video on CNN last week about the creativity involved in stealing fuel? A truck pulling what looked similar to a horse trailer pulled into a fuel station and parked over the inlet for the storage tanks while the driver walked into the store. The driver then returns to the truck and pulls away, but apparently there was a trap door in the trailer and someone pumped over $4,000 worth of diesel out of the holding tanks.

law 6 years, 1 month ago

I'll try to shed some light on the subject being an ex-officer here. In my opinion there isn't much you can do. Point #1. The call load in this city is simply to high to take officers out of cars. Point #2. If you see an officer setting itle in this town more thank likely he is writing his numerous reports. (The reports are written in the cars these days, not the station) Point #3 Shutting your car off when writing reports is nearly imposible. The computers drain the battery so fast and the heat if its summertime. Picture yourself being forced to wear long polyester pants and a polyester shirt. Now add a bulletproof vest that holds in all your body heat to your chest and the weight of all your duty gear. Without air conditioning your going to either quit becuase it's not worth the 60K a year or your going to have a heat stroke. People expect alot out of Officers, but many don't reallize how much they get for so little.

Dale Stringer 6 years, 1 month ago

I am reminded of an incident witnessed in the 80's in KS. A cop parked his car on a side street, took a hand-held radar gun and hid behind a bush at Loose Park on Wornell. He'd pop up every now and then to check speeds. If he caught someone, he'd jump out in the road in front of the speeding car. Wonder if that guy is still around.

bad_dog 6 years, 1 month ago

BuddhaDude:That is a fairly common practice-in fact I've seen it employed here on Lawrence Ave just north of the elementary school.One way for the officers to save energy would be to try driving the posted speed limit unless they're on an emergency call. I drive I-70 & K10 frequently and have been passed innumerable times by KHP & whatever county sheriff going 80+ w/o lights/sirens. I can only guess they are late to something like all the rest of us, but it's still irksome to see the person(s) charged with enforcing the laws, violating the same laws. The same thing happens in town from time to time.

Dale Stringer 6 years, 1 month ago

If you start using more cameras at stop lights and with curb side radar guns, you wouldn't need as many patrols out for traffic. Mail people their tickets. Some one will whine that it is an invasion of privacy, but they are driving on a public road anyway.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

R_I wins the Golden Fruitcake so far.

budwhysir 6 years, 1 month ago

foot patrol and more bikes? yep thats what I want a bunch of cops on bikes and running from one side of town to the other. How about turning the cars off when they are not in them? Dont think I want a bunch of cops showing up out of breath and two hours late from running over from the other side of town

craigers 6 years, 1 month ago

Stay at the donut shop!!! Or get vehicle tazers and taze the cars or the driver if you can shoot them while in motion the police can get traffic stops while sitting on the curb.

inatux 6 years, 1 month ago

What about electric bicycles like that place here in town has? http://www.electricrider.com/bikes.htm

budwhysir 6 years, 1 month ago

thats not good either, what if they run out of charge half way thru town?

navyjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Try driving like their patrol car isn't a Formula 1 racer. Talk about some heavy-footed patrollers. Not every "launch" from a red light has to be max acceleration. Same goes for the utility department gang that drives by my house every day....sounds like a drag race every time they roll through the stop sign on my corner.Reminds me of an old Navy saying: The fastest car in the world is a blue 15 passenger Navy van, just floor it!

Lisia 6 years, 1 month ago

I like the motorcycle idea.

bad_dog 6 years, 1 month ago

That's interesting Marion. You strike me as more the type to mourn Yves St. Laurent...

deskboy04 6 years, 1 month ago

They could drive electic cars...oh, wait, the oil companies killed the electric car.

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

Find a vehicle that runs off bacon grease.

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years, 1 month ago

Work out a deal with all of the town's drunks to just turn themselves in instead of having to patrol for them. It worked for Andy with Otis, why not here?

purplesage 6 years, 1 month ago

The same ways that the rest of us do: fewer trips, slower speed, smoother driving. I have seem patrol cars sitting at idle, windows up, AC on, doors locked for hours. Things noted already have validity. They could try driving a maximum of 60 MPH except in emergency situations. Heck, they drive just under the speed limit on 2 way roads all the time, just to be a pain. I have noticed some smaller lighter cars of late - but there are an increasing number of pickups and SUV type vehicles with police markings - with an endless appetite for petroleum. They make a Crown Vic look like an economy car.

inatux 6 years, 1 month ago

budwhysir,Then you use the pedals, silly.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 6 years, 1 month ago

motorcycles, motorcycles, motorcycles...they get twice the gas mileage.also, turn off the engine while waiting in line at the fast food joints.lastly, lose some damn weight! reduce the load and reduce the amount of gas used!

BigPrune 6 years, 1 month ago

Hyper mileage techniques: 1) Coasting to the stop sign2) Driving slowly in the fast lane3) Using the car in front of them as a wind block by tailgating, otherwise known as drafting.Wait, they use these techniques already.Why not fill the empty T buses with patrol officers who can ride around all day pointing guns out the windows. That would put people on guard. The T is giving free rides anyway, so that should save some money somewhere, I think.