Previous   Next

How do you think law enforcement agencies could save money on gasoline?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 2, 2008

Browse the archives

“Maybe more bike and foot patrols. In a town like this, it seems like that would be more plausible. They could also consider buying hybrid or electric cars. I think the investment would pay off.”

“The only thing I can think of is to make sure they’re turning their cars off any time they’re going to be sitting in one place for an extended period of time.”

“Maybe have more officers on foot patrol, especially in Lawrence because it’s pretty pedestrian-friendly. They could also consider buying different cars that are more efficient but still capable of pursuit.”

“I don’t see many motorcycle cops around, so they might consider using more of them. They can’t really bike everywhere, and hybrids are too expensive and can’t do much in a pursuit.”

Comments

BigPrune 5 years, 10 months ago

Hyper mileage techniques: 1) Coasting to the stop sign2) Driving slowly in the fast lane3) Using the car in front of them as a wind block by tailgating, otherwise known as drafting.Wait, they use these techniques already.Why not fill the empty T buses with patrol officers who can ride around all day pointing guns out the windows. That would put people on guard. The T is giving free rides anyway, so that should save some money somewhere, I think.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 5 years, 10 months ago

motorcycles, motorcycles, motorcycles...they get twice the gas mileage.also, turn off the engine while waiting in line at the fast food joints.lastly, lose some damn weight! reduce the load and reduce the amount of gas used!

Lisia 5 years, 10 months ago

I like the motorcycle idea.

law 5 years, 10 months ago

I'll try to shed some light on the subject being an ex-officer here. In my opinion there isn't much you can do. Point #1. The call load in this city is simply to high to take officers out of cars. Point #2. If you see an officer setting itle in this town more thank likely he is writing his numerous reports. (The reports are written in the cars these days, not the station) Point #3 Shutting your car off when writing reports is nearly imposible. The computers drain the battery so fast and the heat if its summertime. Picture yourself being forced to wear long polyester pants and a polyester shirt. Now add a bulletproof vest that holds in all your body heat to your chest and the weight of all your duty gear. Without air conditioning your going to either quit becuase it's not worth the 60K a year or your going to have a heat stroke. People expect alot out of Officers, but many don't reallize how much they get for so little.

bobberboy 5 years, 10 months ago

They can't, just have to raise taxes.

consumer1 5 years, 10 months ago

When a perp starts running, take out the 30/30 w/scope and take him/ her down.

labmonkey 5 years, 10 months ago

Find a vehicle that runs off bacon grease.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 10 months ago

bad_dog (Anonymous) says: That's interesting Marion. You strike me as more the type to mourn Yves St. Laurent:"Marion writes:Yves St. Laurent's designs are truly classic and in point of fact, never go out of style.In the late 70s and early eighties, I bought no suit that did not bear that treasured "YSL" logo.Oddly enough, still have a couple of them and they still fit.A good suit with a good design is always in style.I actually have a bespoke Ives Saint Laurent, purchased in London, lo, those many years ago.I learned of the passing of Bo Diddley before that of Saint Laurent so I pointed out that first.Bo Diddley's music is timeless, as are the designs of Yves Saint Laurent and you will find the influence just by looking around on Mass Sreet any sunny day.R.I.P., Ives Saint Laurent and may your designs and style live forever!

bad_dog 5 years, 10 months ago

That's interesting Marion. You strike me as more the type to mourn Yves St. Laurent...

purplesage 5 years, 10 months ago

The same ways that the rest of us do: fewer trips, slower speed, smoother driving. I have seem patrol cars sitting at idle, windows up, AC on, doors locked for hours. Things noted already have validity. They could try driving a maximum of 60 MPH except in emergency situations. Heck, they drive just under the speed limit on 2 way roads all the time, just to be a pain. I have noticed some smaller lighter cars of late - but there are an increasing number of pickups and SUV type vehicles with police markings - with an endless appetite for petroleum. They make a Crown Vic look like an economy car.

starbucks 5 years, 10 months ago

Lawrence cops should stop hanging out for hours on end in the parking lot behind "the ranch", on idle no less. every day there is a doughnut convention or something going on behind there. patrol cars sit there, often 2 at a time, just shooting the sh*t to one another.

Windlass 5 years, 10 months ago

navyjayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

Try driving like their patrol car isn't a Formula 1 racer. Talk about some heavy-footed patrollers. Not every "launch" from a red light has to be max acceleration. Same goes for the utility department gang that drives by my house every day....sounds like a drag race every time they roll through the stop sign on my corner.Reminds me of an old Navy saying: The fastest car in the world is a blue 15 passenger Navy van, just floor it!

Marion Lynn 5 years, 10 months ago

Quite frankly, My Dear, I'm not going to worry about this right now....Bo Diddly died today.

starbucks 5 years, 10 months ago

THEY SHOULD STOP HANGING OUT FOR HOURS ON END IN THE PARKING LOT BEHIND "THE RANCH", ON IDLE NO LESS. EVERY DAY THERE IS A DOUGHNUT CONVENTION OR SOMETHING GOING ON BEHIND THERE. PATROL CARS SIT THERE, OFTEN 2 AT A TIME, JUST SHOOTING THE SH*T TO ONE ANOTHER.

bad_dog 5 years, 10 months ago

BuddhaDude:That is a fairly common practice-in fact I've seen it employed here on Lawrence Ave just north of the elementary school.One way for the officers to save energy would be to try driving the posted speed limit unless they're on an emergency call. I drive I-70 & K10 frequently and have been passed innumerable times by KHP & whatever county sheriff going 80+ w/o lights/sirens. I can only guess they are late to something like all the rest of us, but it's still irksome to see the person(s) charged with enforcing the laws, violating the same laws. The same thing happens in town from time to time.

Windlass 5 years, 10 months ago

Something else I just thought of. Why not position patrol cars at stationary points around town, which might be at traffic lights or shopping centers (or wherever the population is in greatest number at any given time of day and night) so that, in the first place, the officers in their patrol cars would already be located about the city, and, in the second place, when a call does come in, perhaps any one or more of those patrol cars are already close to that particular call.

Dale Stringer 5 years, 10 months ago

I am reminded of an incident witnessed in the 80's in KS. A cop parked his car on a side street, took a hand-held radar gun and hid behind a bush at Loose Park on Wornell. He'd pop up every now and then to check speeds. If he caught someone, he'd jump out in the road in front of the speeding car. Wonder if that guy is still around.

Windlass 5 years, 10 months ago

1. Either seize the oil wells in Iraq or get out of Iraq. 2. Everyone behaves

spacehog 5 years, 10 months ago

I love your idea, Maria. It worked great for Andy and Otis in Mayberry. I used to try and turn myself in all the time but they wouldn't give me a cell because I hadn't broken any laws. I finally ended up driving my car through the front window of the Law Enforcement Center, after taking out several small trees and a sculpture. That worked great, except they wouldn't let me leave the next morning like Otis always got to do.

spacehog 5 years, 10 months ago

What do you mean beat cops went out in the 40's? I just saw Officer O'Shanahan on Mass St yesterday. He was twirling his blackjack and told me "There'll be no muckin' aroung on my watch, laddie. Now move along." Oh, and more cameras is definitely a great idea....I'd love to have my privacy invaded more than it already is, if that's possible......

inatux 5 years, 10 months ago

budwhysir,Then you use the pedals, silly.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 10 months ago

deskboy04 (Anonymous) says: They could drive electic cars:oh, wait, the oil companies killed the electric car."Marion writes:DB, the oil companies did not "kill the electric car".The practicability of the electric car has gotten better only because of exreme improvements in battery technology as the result of very recent production techniques and processes.Up until a few years ago, all electric cars ran on lead/acid batteries which do not work well for the purpose.That whole thing is a myth.No one "killed the electric car".The electric car simply wasn't alive in any real and practical sense until quite recently.There was nothing to kill.

craigers 5 years, 10 months ago

Stay at the donut shop!!! Or get vehicle tazers and taze the cars or the driver if you can shoot them while in motion the police can get traffic stops while sitting on the curb.

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years, 10 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says: Siphon it from parking violators.Off topic, but did any of you see the video on CNN last week about the creativity involved in stealing fuel? A truck pulling what looked similar to a horse trailer pulled into a fuel station and parked over the inlet for the storage tanks while the driver walked into the store. The driver then returns to the truck and pulls away, but apparently there was a trap door in the trailer and someone pumped over $4,000 worth of diesel out of the holding tanks.

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years, 10 months ago

Work out a deal with all of the town's drunks to just turn themselves in instead of having to patrol for them. It worked for Andy with Otis, why not here?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

R_I wins the Golden Fruitcake so far.

le 5 years, 10 months ago

Blue Harley has the best idea yet ! Maybe if we start chopping off hands & feet 4 certain crimes like other countries (might as well.. we no longer have the great country we had years back anyway) and put people that do shameful crimes in the old wooden stucture that has their head & hands locked down in a public display ..maybe we could get a little control again instead of worrying about the criminals rights..screw em! Public shaming & chop off limbs ..public hangings..tattoo the crime on their foreheads...you know ..medevil stuff !

le 5 years, 10 months ago

Keep cars in various areas (with motors off!) they have enough clothing in winter (with flack jacket) to keep warm) summer time ..well too bad (you think our troops have a.c. in their uniforms in Iraq!) anyway..place cars in different areas and place partner walking a beat in that cars area ..this would deter the nieghborhood criminals(burgalars) cuz they would be worried where they were ! When the hidden in plain site foot officer sees criminal activity he can call partner 4 backup! Start up more citizen volunteers to foot patrol nieghborhoods and stay in communication with dept. to alert when they see suspicious behavior(with training of course) ! Their are no good answers...Thanks to the G.O.P. and Bush we are screwed!

fu7il3 5 years, 10 months ago

It's sort of a conundrum. They want to save money on fuel, but at the same time, I want them to be able to get to me as fast as possible if I am in trouble and be able to catch someone. How are they supposed to catch a Mustang if they are in a golf cart?

deskboy04 5 years, 10 months ago

They could drive electic cars...oh, wait, the oil companies killed the electric car.

Dale Stringer 5 years, 10 months ago

If you start using more cameras at stop lights and with curb side radar guns, you wouldn't need as many patrols out for traffic. Mail people their tickets. Some one will whine that it is an invasion of privacy, but they are driving on a public road anyway.

budwhysir 5 years, 10 months ago

thats not good either, what if they run out of charge half way thru town?

inatux 5 years, 10 months ago

What about electric bicycles like that place here in town has? http://www.electricrider.com/bikes.htm

budwhysir 5 years, 10 months ago

foot patrol and more bikes? yep thats what I want a bunch of cops on bikes and running from one side of town to the other. How about turning the cars off when they are not in them? Dont think I want a bunch of cops showing up out of breath and two hours late from running over from the other side of town

blue73harley 5 years, 10 months ago

Pitch tents on Redbud lane and 19th and Haskell.

ChristmasCarol 5 years, 10 months ago

Foot or bike officers are only as handy as the area they serve. The patrolling beat cop went out in the 40's or so with the advent and onslaught of motorized vehicles.With less cars there would be more people hired to cover the area. So I guess in my speculation you would want to consider whether or not you wanted to spend more money on manpower than cars. On the other hand you also have response time. Depending on the types of crimes you wanted to cover there would be less time "cruising around" finding someone that is doing something wrong rather than responding to a call.I have never had the joy of working on the police force so I do not know the protocol. I am assuming that depending on the time of day they have differing shift requirements, per se when it is 2am they have more emergency staff wandering the streets near bars and regulating traffic than trying to solve 2 month old murders.So to respond, I say that maybe you could post traffic officers on foot near bars at 2am or before to find drunk drivers and set more speed traps but I am sure that there are more kinds of crimes in Lawrence committed than traffic violations that have to be considered. I would hate to say there needs to be less and more efficient patrolling done but I would think anything like a K-10 high speed chase should be mostly done by helicopter. I mean why settle for just ground dwelling vehicles.But that does not solve the assault my former roommate did to me that the responding officer flubbed on because of something more important that I was uninformed about.