Previous   Next

Which building in Lawrence do you think has the most interesting architecture?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 1, 2008

Browse the archives

“I really like the older buildings, so the Eldridge is one of my favorites. Mostly because of the inside. It’s so well preserved.”

“I think the inside of Abe & Jake’s is really interesting. It’s definitely one of the most unique bar set-ups in Lawrence.”

“I think it’s the parabola house over by Lawrence High School. I’ve always wanted to go roller skating on it.”

“There’s a house over on 12th and Pennsylvania that I think KU students did as a project. The front is all made of metal and the rest is wood. I always think it looks cool when I drive by.”

Comments

Boston_Corbett 6 years, 2 months ago

The Lawrence Fire Department training structure at 19th & Haskell.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

Why, the best-named structure in all of Kansas: Strong Hall!

dajudge 6 years, 2 months ago

M_D: Hoosier daddy? Does he beat you? Eight to the bar?Architecturally speaking, I like the design for the newWalmart Supercenter.

hornhunter 6 years, 2 months ago

KSA, Your lucky cool isn't out of bed yet!What about the water tower on Oread, south of B Billings parkway ?

Richard Heckler 6 years, 2 months ago

Central Jr High School, Liberty Hall building group to include the brewery,stone house at 8th and Ohio(NW corner),The Brown Family" repunzel" home at east 13th & Maple.

BigPrune 6 years, 2 months ago

The Masonic Temple needs to be turned into what it looks like, a mausoleum. That's the only way for it to be profitable. Imagine how many dead could fit into that sucker - a lot!

SpeedRacer 6 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone know if the frat houses on Tennessee were built as that or were they once residences?

Eurekahwk 6 years, 2 months ago

Just east of Wakarusa on Inverness Dr,, there is a white house at the end of a culdasac that looks so much like the house from Nightmare on Elm Street. It is very creepy at night.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

BTW, the cyber**ing website cool is plugging is part of a certain odious local 'forum' where you can see stellar examples of juvenile personal attacks. If that's what you're all about, I'd recommend going through proxify dot com if you want to check it out.

Newell_Post 6 years, 2 months ago

The Masonic Temple is really a great old building that need to be renovated and reused for something, but I'm not sure what. The interior has a stage and a balcony, but "theaters" downtown have a problematic business history. Also, there would be a ton of building code problems to be solved relating to egress, handicapped access, parking, asbestos, etc. etc:.. I hope somebody is willing to take a chance on it.

TacoBob 6 years, 2 months ago

The house at the corner of Alabama and 21st St.Know it?

hornhunter 6 years, 2 months ago

BigPrune, May be they could use it for the NEW GREEN CEMETERY

road_Runner 6 years, 2 months ago

I have to agree with Allen Fieldhouse....and for the record, being completely obsessive-compulsive about KU basketball in NO way persuade my decision on this. Shifty eyes

acg 6 years, 2 months ago

I like stone and gothic structures so I really dig the castle tea room and that house that's on frat row on TN street, that's owned by the doc, next to Doug Compton's travesty of apartment buildings. Ya'll know the one I'm talking about. The son caught it on fire a little last year. I love that building.

classclown 6 years, 2 months ago

Oread Inn will be the best when it's completed. Plus it will hide all the ugly stuff behind it. All hail Oread Inn's glory! May there be many more like it!

SpeedRacer 6 years, 2 months ago

That beautiful mansion in the 1600 block of Tennessee...although the frat houses next to it are also interesting.I also like the Sigma Nu/Governor Roscoe Stubbs mansion.

Marty_McFly 6 years, 1 month ago

dear Cool,You need to go back in time. How'd you miss the article in yesterday's paper concerning the Oread?Marty

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago