Previous   Next

Have you ever had an overweight pet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 31, 2008

Browse the archives

“I have an overweight cat, but she has a bladder condition and has to eat special food the vet prescribed that makes her fat. Poor thing, her belly touches the ground, and she has such little paws and a little head for her body.”

“No. I have a cat, but we play with him all the time so he gets a lot of exercise. If you just let your cat lay around, which they tend to do, it’s going to become overweight.”

“Yes, my cat Ralph. He could set off the scale that opens the doors at the grocery store.”

“I have an overweight cockapoo, a cocker spaniel/poodle. We have two dogs, but he’s the boss. When we put the food down, he steals from his sister.”

Related story

Comments

yoornotmee 5 years, 8 months ago

I have two cats and two dogs, all of which are of a healthy weight. It's disgusting and cruel when someone over-feeds and under-walks their animal.

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

awwww! buddy is just adorable, ss! :)

ohjayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Isn't that funny, one of our labs is the same way. He loves swimming, but you get near him with a garden hose or try to give him a bath, he's scared to death. The other lab mix isn't much into swimming, which is odd in and of itself.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 8 months ago

Thanks. I can see lab in the square head...either lab or spongebob. And definitely retriever of some kind. Autie suggested Chesapeake which is what I lean towards from his size and thick curly locks. He also LOVES to swim, well, stand in water...namely my goldfish pond...@#%^!. (But don't go near him with a garden hose!!!) Heaven forbid!

ohjayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Sue - what a beautiful dog! I showed the pics to my wife, and she's thinking he might be a golden/yellow lab mixed with a curly coated retriever. Whatever he is, he looks like a great dog.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 8 months ago

OK. Here's a pic of my pooch:http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunflower_sue/Like I say, He's 90 lbs and looks like a Golden...kinda...mostly. Any guesses? I looked up Goldendoodles and they all had a poodle (ish) face. He's got to be a mix. Part horse, maybe?Manana...

rlmtyco 5 years, 8 months ago

If anyone is having problems with weight with their pet they should check out what they are feeding the animal. Alot of the food at Petco and grocery stores is horrible for the animal, for about the same price you can feed them something they are meant to eat, something they would of ate when they were in the wild. Check out Natural Pet Food and Supply on 6th street, they are great people and will help you out. I went in there 2 years ago and never bought food anywhere else since. My dogs coat looks alot better, shed weight and has alot more energy with a change in food from Science Diet to something that is actually good for them, dont get mislead that Science Diet is actually good for your animal, do research yourself on the internet and become informed

Fangorn 5 years, 8 months ago

zettapixel: Buddy has been tested for a few things, but our (former) vet wanted to run a battery of tests he called .... wait for it .... a cat scan. I know. Ironic, huh? Anyway, we're looking for a local vet and will ask for this set of tests. I will ask specifically about lymphoma. And I thank you most sincerely for taking the time to mention it. We picked up this little stray kitten 13 years ago, several years before we even had any children. He's otherwise healthy but is always desperate for food.ms_canada: Feline diabetes was mentioned as a possible cause of his condition. I have not noticed if his water intake is high. btw, did you get my email the other day? I wrote to the only email address I have for you but also sent a note thru the LJW just in case.Jonas: I never knew you had a cat named after an Elf lord. But honestly, isn't it a bit odd to name things after Tolkien's characters? ;) I have 5 cats. None shaped like an eggplant. (I'm so glad I wasn't drinking milk when I read that!)

fleeba 5 years, 8 months ago

Consumer1, Yes, My bunny IS a she, that's why I said HER chin is so cute :)thanks for explaining why they have the pooch though....

H_Lecter 5 years, 8 months ago

Not anymore. You know liposuction is easier than you think...fur hides the mistakes pretty well too. I'm reading a book on gastric bypasses right now; looks easy. If something goes wrong, I've got a tub of ice water and a pre-printed note for their owner that says, "Call 911."

ohjayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

multi - From what I've read on the Goldendoodle websites, the retrievers seem to be bred to the poodles for the lack of shedding. Therefore, they are good choices for households with mild to moderate allergies. I've not seen a Goldendoodle in person before, but I have seen a Labradoodle. They are quite handsome, and their coats are very soft.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

Goldendoodles seem to be an okay cross. Hoping for the good parts to blend. Both breeds are trusting and loyal, calm as adults. Then add in the extra brains of the poodle. I question the mix simply because it's hard enough to get a good coat that 'maintains well'. Hard enough to find a great coat in a purebred poodle, but anytime you add something into it, it can create a grooming nightmare.The 'best' possible outcome isn't always the outcome that you get when mixing breeds.I'd rather go with a doodle than an apricot standard. The apricot gene in poodles leaves a lot to be desired for many reasons.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Sue - sounds like you may have a Goldendoodle (a cross between a golden retriever and a standard poodle). I found a website that says males can range from 45-90 pounds, but can go over 100 lbs.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldendo...

slappedyomomma 5 years, 8 months ago

my cousin rescued two basset hounds that were raised in pens with pigs. they were fed the same thing as the pigs, lots of ground corn. they weighed about 100 lbs APIECE when she took them. they were the funniest looking things i have ever seen. she has to mix in small amounts of ground corn with their special food to get them to eat it.they would probably be the tenderest, best-tasting dog you would ever eat, if you ate dog. like filet mignon in China. hehehe.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 8 months ago

I have a 90 pound dog...but he isn't fat at all. He's just a big gi-normous beast of a thing. Wish I knew what he was...I'd take another one of him! He looks like an overgrown golden retriever with just a bit of curl to his thick golden locks. Maybe a Chesapeake Bay? He's super sweet. I thank the idiots that dumped him on our road. All of our pets (2 dogs, 4 cats) are normal weight.

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

We are very careful not to let our big dogs become overweight--that would be inviting a host of problems, including hip dysplasia and other joint problems. I want my 7-year-old Dane around for as many years as possible (average life expectancy for Danes is about 7), and so far, he is the picture of health and still plays like a puppy. His gait is smooth and effortless--he's beautiful to watch when he's running.When he was young, we kept him on a rigorously controlled diet, and I think that is one factor that helped ensure his adult health--along with good genes. One of the worst mistakes you can make with the large or giant breeds is to grow them up too fast. Better to keep your puppy on the lean side (not starved, of course!) than pudgy. Once he's reached his full growth and filled out, you can relax that a little, but not to the point where he balloons. We have one dog who would hoover down the others' food if we let her, so she has to eat isolated from the rest. There's no excuse for letting one hog all the food. Bad for the hog dog, and distressing for the ones who aren't getting their share.

jayhawkster 5 years, 8 months ago

I have a cockapoo, too. It's also overweight and that's why my girlfriend loves me.

Laura Wilson 5 years, 8 months ago

I have two cats--one is heavy but a lot of it's muscle and the other is tiny. They both get as much Iams dry food as they want and a small spoonful of wet food twice a day. No human food of any kind unless they steal it when I'm not looking. Luckily I have a large house for them to run around in since they're forced to be indoor cats due to the laws of this town.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

I had a pet pig that was overweight. My guess is that's what made the bacon so good.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

Our ball python is friggin HUGE...I don't know how to tell if a snake is fat?? I got the long part but not sure about the girth...she is a sweetheart.

consumer1 5 years, 8 months ago

Fleeba, sounds like your he is really a she, that little patch under her chin is for nest building. My bet is he is a she.

prospector 5 years, 8 months ago

Fat cat eats lady out of house and home.http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bizarre/5915436.html"A 44-pound cat found lumbering around New Jersey was abandoned by a woman who said her home was foreclosed, an animal shelter official said today."

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

American obesity on the rise... heavy petting... cats and dogs, living together....

prospector 5 years, 8 months ago

What's the problem? There will be a pill for it soon. Fast food restaurant can pass them out with their Whoppers® and Happy Meal® too.http://www.denverpost.com/healthcare/ci_10055553

fleeba 5 years, 8 months ago

I have a bunny rabbit that has a nice little pooch under her chin, it's so cute! How in the world do they get fat when all they eat is hay, veges and those little hay pellets??

ms_canada 5 years, 8 months ago

A cat that eats a lot and remains very thin could be diabetic. Does your cat drink a lot of water also, Fangorn? My Tazzy, a calico, was very heavy although in all her life she got no more than 1/4 cup of dry food for over weight cats and absolutely no table scraps. But alas, my dear girl got squamous cell cancer of the tongue and she went to Heaven last October. I still miss her something terrible. About three weeks ago, my lovely grandson, David, brought me a gift. Rusty is an orange marmalade medium haired beautiful boy. I was overwhelmed and did not really want another cat (can't take the pain of loss) but now would not part with him. Am determined that he will not get fat and by the amount of exercise he gets flying around the house, I don't think he will.

madmike 5 years, 8 months ago

My 14 1/2 year old Golden Retriever is a little bit fat, but at her age, who cares?

Quigly 5 years, 8 months ago

my wife. OHHHHH NO I DIDN"T!!!!!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 8 months ago

squishy,My pet turtle was like that too.

squishypoet 5 years, 8 months ago

Growing up, our dog was so fat that we hardly ever called him "Casey" but began calling him "Squishy" instead. He liked to crawl under the sideboard and lay on the A/C vent during the summer. We'd go to pick him up and his belly would be cold, clammy, and squishy!

kansas_o_kansas 5 years, 8 months ago

I've been carefully measuring my cat's food for years, only giving her the recommended amount. She never gets table scraps. EVER. She just keeps getting fatter and fatter. She's now the consisitency of a little furry bowling ball - with legs. I think she orders pizza while I'm at work.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Our two Labs are a little overweight. Not horribly, but just noticable. Our two smaller mutts are at good weights.And, jaythomp, there are automatic doors that are controlled by weight being placed on the mats in front of them. Most now are controlled by sensor, but I still come across a few that are the old style.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

Feanor is big, but strong and not fat. Osiris is mostly svelte but has ghetto bootie despite being a boy, he looks like an eggplant when he sits. Elinde might be fat, but it's really hard to tell because she generally looks like an explosion of black fluff anyway. Spare used to be fat, then his teeth rotted out and he lost all his weight before we could figure out what the problem is. They all look healthy, though. I have too many cats. It's practically a society now.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

Here's an off topic funny I just saw, but it made me laugh hard, so I thought you all might enjoy it also.http://punditkitchen.wordpress.com/files/2008/07/political-pictures-nancy-grace-blow-up-doll.jpg

Kat Christian 5 years, 8 months ago

NO, because I don't feed my animal table scraps, but will add bacon grease sometimes to his food. He only get 1-1/4 cups of food a day. Could use more excersize though, but he's not overweight - none of my dogs have been. Depends what kind of food you feed your dog too. I've found that some dogs can tolerate the store bought foods. But because my dog has a crazy metobloic(sp?) system (he gains weight too easily) I finally found a food that helps to maintain his weight, plus he absorbs all the nutrients where there is less waste by-product. He looks healthier too. Nutro-Max - I swear by it for my dog and cat.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 8 months ago

No. We have cats, but they're barn cats, so they're actually normal size. It never ceases to amaze me how many people see our cats and think they're malnourished because they're used to large housecats.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, I had one.Had to dig a Big hole.

blue73harley 5 years, 8 months ago

Roberto Gato (aka Bob Cat) is underweight. Fatso de Catso is obviously overweight. The dog, some kind of big headed terrier mix, runs like a maniac and is normal...physically anyway.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

and nobody has on insectoid type sunglasses? what is up with that? maybe they put them on their cats.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

My cat is overweight. He eats at the local fast food joints. The dog is a vegan so he is obviously the picture perfect of health.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

My lab is a bit overweight..but he supposed to be...but the rest of my crew is not and they get lots of junk food..scraps etc. They burn off the extra calories barking at the mailman..

SloMo 5 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for posting that link, Dulcinea. I switched all of my cats and dogs to food without corn (cats in particular should be on a mostly-meat diet) and they're all maintaining healthy weights now. One of the cats used to throw up a lot, and she doesn't anymore. They don't eat as large portions, either, and they stop eating when they're full, even if they haven't eaten the whole ration (I ration each meal - the better quality food will go bad if it's left out, since it doesn't have preservatives added). The food itself is more expensive, but they eat less of it, so it's about the same in the long run.

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 8 months ago

For those of you with overweight cats, or cats with health problems:http://www.catinfo.org/

jaythomp11 5 years, 8 months ago

"Yes, my cat Ralph. He could set off the scale that opens the doors at the grocery store."- Michael Young, restaurant manager, Lawrence----------------------------Last time I checked, those weren't scales but rather mats to wipe your feet with. If you'll look above the door next time Michael, you'll see the sensor that gets you in.

consumer1 5 years, 8 months ago

I dated a girl once who was a little tubby, errr tabby, keeping with the topic. Never actually enabled an animal to be un-healthy before. I think it is cruel, Next thing you know it would be controlling the tv with the remote and trying to get me to buy it beer with its food stamps.

cheer67 5 years, 8 months ago

Nope, we have 2 dogs. A Morkie (maltese/yorkie) and a Yorkie. Both under 5 lbs. But my parents have an overweight dog. We call her "fat dog" now.

zettapixel 5 years, 8 months ago

I have an overweight cat named Huey. And Huey will ALWAYS stay overweight after the ordeal he went through. You see, Huey has food allergies and an intestinal issue, so one time Huey lost a LOT of weight in a really short period of time and almost died. He needed surgery, had a feeding tube, the whole 9 yards. But Huey wasn't ready to die. He was very much full of life. So now Huey is on prednisone and special food and he weighs about 17 pounds. HEAVY for a cat, I know. But for Huey, who went all the way down to 6 pounds at his thinnest, it means life!Fangorn: Is your cat eating a lot but still losing weight? Has he been tested for just about everything under the sun? If so, you might want to have him tested for lymphoma. My friend has a cat that was eating tons but still losing weight and that's what they found after a biopsy was done. The treatment is a bit costly, but cats have a very high success rate with the medication.

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

ummm, no, but my pets have had an overweight owner!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

Kitty got a bit fatter, then I bought a bag of HyVee brand cat food to save a few dollars one time. During that one bag, the cat disliked the food so much, he wouldn't eat it until desperate, and by the time the bag was gone, Kitty was normal size again. He's now back to a tastier food, but in limited quantities with lots of exercise.jonas,win!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

I've taken to calling my bull lemur "chunk style".

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

Wow, you're kind of a one trick pony aren't you?

nveyt_truong 5 years, 8 months ago

That added fat paid off in flavor in the end.

Fangorn 5 years, 8 months ago

No. But one of my cats is currently very underweight. Maybe a different vet than our current one can figure out why he's losing so much weight?