Previous   Next

How many times have you changed addresses in Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 28, 2008

Browse the archives

“Four times. But I’ve lived here for 11 years, so that’s not too bad.”

“Eight. I moved here in ‘91, so I’ve done some moving around. When I was in college I would buy houses and renovate them, but now I’ve been in the same house for the last four years.”

“Soon to be three. Twice with my parents, and this time on my own. I like the change, though. I don’t like to stay in the same place too long.”

“Twice, but I’ve only lived here while going to KU. Now that I’m done, it’s off to St. Louis.”

Comments

HootyWho 6 years, 5 months ago

16 places in the last 32 yrs., been at present address for last 8 yrs tho,,,,

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 5 months ago

I would guess about 30 times (no joking). I moved constantly before I was married (roomates would graduate or get married, so I'd have to find new digs). After marriage: we've moved three times. Been in this place for 7 years.

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 5 months ago

born and raised here but still moved 8 times in 37 years.

Kevin Sontag 6 years, 5 months ago

I've been in Lawrence a few weeks shy of ten years: 2 dorm rooms in Hashinger, 4 rooms in Jayhawker Towers, an apartment for five years, and just bought a house a few months ago. Eight moves in ten years, and I ain't plannin' on moving again anytime soon. Moving is teh suck.

stinerides 6 years, 5 months ago

I have lost count. I am moving right now, I just wish my new landlord would call and let me know when I can pick up my key. Especially since I paid my $850 deposit the first week of June. I may have made a mistake moving back to Lawrence.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I lived at 3 different addresses while in Lawrence. Two different apartments in Jayhawker Towers and one off-campus apartment on Tennessee Street.

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

I moved to Lawrence 19 1/2 years ago, and have lived at 4 addresses, but have been in our house for almost 11 years.

Nikki May 6 years, 5 months ago

I actually have to figure it out, dorms, apartment, duplex - got married - fourplex- had a kid, house, and another kid - bought a house, so just 6 in 16 years, that's not bad. I don't plan to move any more. If we need more space now, too bad!

SpeedRacer 6 years, 5 months ago

Moved here in 1981 and still live in the same house.

juscin3 6 years, 5 months ago

Well, it's too many to count. However, when I had my daughter, her and I lived in the same place for 5 yrs. After that, well, moved even more in the last six years, it's been 5 times. Hubby wants to move BACK to Lawrence...lol Skinnee, I know the feeling, I had a relative that done that to me and tried to blame me for it! I had proof, canceled checks!!! LOL

labmonkey 6 years, 5 months ago

I lived at four different addresses when I lived in Lawrence. I was happy when I got out of the town. Lawrence, a great place to visit, crappy place to live.

George_Braziller 6 years, 5 months ago

Three times in 25 years. One of them was to get out of a horrible studio apartment infested with roaches owned by a notorious slum lord with the initials of J.D. He LOVES to parade around with his cloak of piety but . . . . ick. To this day when I see him it makes my skin crawl.

gccs14r 6 years, 5 months ago

Six places in 16 years. (2.5, 3, 5, 3, 1, 1) Bought this latest one, so will probably be here for a while.

beatrice 6 years, 5 months ago

I have never changed an address. Occupants change, but addresses remain the same. Imagine the confusion if addresses changed every time someone new moved into a place.

sportsmom2724 6 years, 5 months ago

Four times for us in 16 years. But, I plan to stay put for a very long time...6 years so far!

iliveinmycar 6 years, 5 months ago

I've moved dozens of times just in the last year. I just go from parking lot to parking lot. Wherever it's safe.

shorttrees 6 years, 5 months ago

Could be worse! Four places in fifteen years, moved here and lived there 11 months, then 4 years, 4 years, and now 6 years in this place. Just kept moving into bigger places as the family grew. Now they are moving into their own places, just wish they'd take all their junk with them instead of leaving it here!

hilary 6 years, 5 months ago

10 in 28 years. Just bought a house, so I'll be here for awhile, thank goodness. Good luck to all of those movers out there. It sucks, and it's hot, but it will all be over soon!

skinnee11 6 years, 5 months ago

Including the initial move = 7 in 11 years. Sadly, three times in the last 18 months thanks to a roommate who didn't like to pay bills or rent.

maybeso 6 years, 5 months ago

12 times in 28 years...11 in the first 14.

Nikki May 6 years, 5 months ago

hey thetagger, I lived in hash before you. :)

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

3 in 18 years. Planning on being where I'm at now for a long while.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

About as often as Google Earth does when its mapping the globe at street level.

bugmenot 6 years, 5 months ago

7 times in 10 years. We bought this house last year though, so hopefully it'll be a few more years before we have to move. The Lawrence August 1st move is the worst. Especially when you have to be out of one place on the 31st, but can't move into the next until the 1st. Good luck to all you movers out there.

Fangorn 6 years, 5 months ago

Moved to Lawrence in 1996. Moved once after that, across town, two years later. Hope for one more move soon.Beatrice, love the idea! Sounds like a plot device of a Terry Pratchett story. Imagine how long it would take to get mail!