Previous   Next

Do you believe that long-term cell phone use can cause cancer?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 24, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think there is a high probability that is the case.”

“No, I think there would be a lot more people developing cancer if cell phones were really causing it.”

“I believe it’s a wives’ tale that moms made up to keep their daughters from asking for cell phones.”

“There is no way anyone can tell at this point. Cell phone usage has increased steadily since ‘88, but you don’t see the same trend with cancer rates. The problem is that it could take a long time to cause people cancer, so we won’t really know until later on.”

Related story

Comments

ohjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

I thought it was invented for hockey thugs.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

No, but I do believe long-term cell phone use can cause insanity. Or a headache. Same thing, really.

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

Multi-I have T-mobile I bought when I was in Emporia (I kept my number) and I liked it. T-mobile will answer the phone quickly with an AMERICAN HUMAN instead of many automated menus and outsourced help. I highly recommend T-mobile.For the question in general, if it gets people to quit usuing them in cars, in the gym (I don't need to hear baby-daddy drama when I am on the treadmill...or ever for that matter), in the line at the store, and pretty much everywhere else in this rude society, then yes, it causes brain cancer, impotence, hangnails and funds terrorism. Not to mention, every time you send a text message, and angel DIES!!!

Say_no_to_energy 6 years, 1 month ago

Michelle, you are wise beyond your years!

Aiko 6 years, 1 month ago

What about the "big" Red Bull cancer scare years ago?

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey Py, here is my credit card number: * **, expiration date 8/12. Thanks for providing the encoded safety feature. You "crack" me up.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

"But don't forget to have her send $$ to CRACK-and to encase her cell phone in lead, just in case."So, if the a** cancer doesn't get you, the lead poisoning will? ;-)I will be sending my contribution to CRACK as soon as the money from the nice exiled prince from some African nation hits my account... should be any day now...

Sagecasey 6 years, 1 month ago

Only if you are smoking when you are using a cell phone

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 1 month ago

Yes, of course, I'm secretly a super genius with special knowledge about everything. What a dumb question LJW! You might as will ask how I feel about it, either way (how I think or feel) its meaningless.

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

Four out of five doctors prefer Nokia Wireless!Who cares what the average person "thinks" will cause cancer. Either it does or it doesn't. Even if it does cause cancer in some people, more people are likely to die or be killed because of phone use while driving. The good news -- death by car accident cures brain cancer. "This just in .... Saliva causes cancer! But, only when swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time." -- the late, great George Carlin

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 1 month ago

I believe that cell phones can cause unattentive driving syndrome, rear ending syndrome and bad grocery cart pushing syndrome. As for the cancer, only time will tell. As for myself, I don't own a cell phone. I would consider owning one if they came out w/ one that could only be used to dial 911.

JSDAD 6 years, 1 month ago

the new cigerette, i dont care if they could figure out how to inject nicotine through the ear piece

acg 6 years, 1 month ago

I sure hope not. But then again, as someone pointed out above, everything causes cancer so why would I stress cell phones?

Tony Kisner 6 years, 1 month ago

They certainly will kill a great deal of your time. Most cell phone conversation by teens must go.... "what are you doing?, Not much what are you doing?, What do you want to do?, I don't know what do you want to do?........"I also see your choice of counter tops can be deadly, - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html?no_interstitial

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 1 month ago

Pywacket - If that happened putting your phone in your back pocket, what does it mean when you keep one in your front pocket?

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

Probably not cancer, but I think they fund terrorism. Every time you send a text page, kids, every time!