Previous   Next

What is your favorite frozen treat to have on a hot day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 23, 2008

Browse the archives

“The Fla-Vor-Ice pops that you push up out of the plastic.”

“I would definitely have to go with a margarita.”

“A green tea frappe from the Scone Lady’s.”

“I would say a Choco Taco.”

Related story

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Py, I believe that's it. (The label looks a bit different, but all the other trademarks are there)I hate black licorice. But in this drink, you don't use much and with the mint and cream, it just adds a crisp, cool, icey flavor.Like I said, this was made my the mom of a family I used to babysit for, and I agree, the recipes I see now have the cocao. It's where I got my true addiction to mint choc chip ice cream later.Also later in life I ran into some dishes made with a touch of Anise, and those are fun too.Quite a switch for someone who thinks black licorice is bad.----imagold,I just loved the riding in to the house story. My daughter suffers from severe brain freezes, and since she's kind of a klutz, I'm going to email that to her!

Pywacket 5 years, 9 months ago

Oh, my god, MD, you are describing Galliano! http://www.galliano.com/I find it utterly nauseating, but I don't like anything licorice. I can't imagine it in a refreshing, minty grasshopper! A grasshopper should have creme de menthe and creme de cacao. But if you like licorice, maybe it would be a tasty addition.In between typing, I am spooning up an icy concoction I made earlier in the day. I took some strong coffee, mixed in vodka and kahlua, then stirred in plenty of vanilla ice cream and froze it. Very good. It would have been good with a little cocoa, too--or mint.

Scattered 5 years, 9 months ago

Ice cold chamomile tea over crushed ice! Nectar of the gods!

sunflowerks54 5 years, 9 months ago

Sherbet floats. Use Fresca or your favorite Lemon-lime drink. Add a scoop or two of frozen lime or rainbow sherbert. Cool;refreshing; kids and adults alike love it!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

tangential: "Antarctica"MD: "Anyone know what yellow liquor that was?"Frank: "Watch out where the huskies go, and dont you eat that yellow snow."

imagold 5 years, 9 months ago

Fudgesicles. Used to love orange slushies from DQ and had them nearly every evening after swimming while staying with grandparents. Then got brain freeze and rode my bike into a house. LOL! Also love root beer floats with chocolate ice cream; a cup of Sonic ice; lemonberry slush - straight up. And those Tupperward Kool-Aid popsicles were awesome! Honestly though, I don't think there's much that beats a glass of iced water.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

grasshopper drink..except the person who first made this for me (the early 70's) used different than what I see in online recipes.They used liquor from this really tall thin bottle the was yellow. I mean, a few inches wide at the bottom tapering towards the top, and the bottle I once bought was a few feet high for the large size. I want to say it was licorice flavor, but I could be mistaken.Then creme de menthe, ice, maybe some milk or cream.And a blender.Anyone know what yellow liquor that was?

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

tangential, refer to my post of 7:55 am way to early in the morning....PS...no major ice formations in any part of the Flint Hills...too bad, so sad. guys at the museum would freak when penguins showed up in Kansas. Keep it cool bro.

Bruce Rist 5 years, 9 months ago

Tom: I'll have a decaf coffee. Trudi: I'll have a decaf espresso. Morris Frost: I'll have a double decaf cappuccino. Ted: Give me decaffeinated coffee ice cream. Harris: I'll have a half double decaffeinated half-caf, with a twist of lemon. Trudi: I'll have a twist of lemon. Tom: I'll have a twist of lemon. Morris Frost: I'll have a twist of lemon. Cynthia: I'll have a twist of lemon.

photobug228 5 years, 9 months ago

Frozen Choc chip cookies, with soft ice cream on top.

Pywacket 5 years, 9 months ago

Autie~ Yes! Those hybrid fast-food frozen drink/home-added booze treats are the best. My favorite is to take a lemon-berry slush from Sonic, add Rose's lime and some fresh-squeezed lime (to taste--I like it tart), and either rum or tequila & triple sec. Stick it in the freezer and stir occasionally. Eat it with a spoon later: granita with a big kick! I'm sure you could find a flavor that would be perfect with scotch. I also love frozen blueberries, but they must be fresh and in season when frozen. Icy little beads of goodness...

prospector 5 years, 9 months ago

Jonas, We appreciate the clarification and I hope you will still enjoy the book I sent you, "You're Good Enough, You're Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like You". by Stuart Smalley.

prospector 5 years, 9 months ago

In other news, does anybody know if Tom's check for the football facility has cleared? This kind of reminds me of the Hershberger Track on steroids. http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN2227689520080722" Huge oil trading loss sinks energy trader SemGroup""Included in the NYMEX loss was $290 million owed to SemGroup by a trading company owned by co-founder and former chief executive Thomas Kivisto, who was placed on administrative leave on July 17."

sunflower_sue 5 years, 9 months ago

sgt, only sugar for you! (and I think 16 packets of sweetener per consumer is actually the lethal dose)monkeyspunk, use the real whipping cream and see what you get. Scoopable, thick, coat the roof of your mouth ice creamy goodness. I don't think you could make this in a blender (much too thick) but you could try. I'm not stoppin ya. Call me when it's ready and I'll help you finish it.

McShindig 5 years, 9 months ago

If I have access to it: Aviator gin martini. (Aviator is this awesome gin from Oregon. I have yet to find it here). Barring that, I'm with prospector: Oatmeal stout from Free State.

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

I had one of those crapochinos things from the dairy queen last night..ice cream and chocolate and coffee and such...it was pretty good. This is got me to wondering if I couldn't make a scotch slush in the food processor..Or just go to the tropical snow place and get a plain and add my own scotch??

le 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey..it was a question in a phrased form...I do have to wonder ..speaking of questions...do you think women that like push up frozen pops ....just like to lick on things that look like a phallus? I have 2 wonder though about those that like red push up pops...lokks like a dog penis 2 me....so next time yer lickin a red push up pop...think about the similarities .....maybe you are just a closet beastiallitist......ya should be concerned if the push up pop starts humpin yer leg!

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey, it was phrased in the form of a question.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

Drumsticks or Oreo Blizzards (since none of the DQ's seem to make Reese's Pieces Blizzards anymore - although I don't think any of the Lawrence DQ's had them to begin with).

coolmom 5 years, 9 months ago

margarita sounds awesome although i like a glass of fruity wine with crushed ice and real fruit.

le 5 years, 9 months ago

Know what causes spontanious combustion...those little packets of powdered coffee creamer...poor the contents on the table and add flame..watch it go poof ! It is either that or corn....obviously very combustable

Lindsey Buscher 5 years, 9 months ago

The Dillon's Private Selection brand has these chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches that are flippin' awesome.

Das_Ubermime 5 years, 9 months ago

jonas,Looking forward to teaching, are we?

75x55 5 years, 9 months ago

spacehog - not to mention the compliments on your store-bought teeth...

Martini_Boy 5 years, 9 months ago

Of course a shaken beefeaters martini up in a frosty chilled glass.......

monkeyspunk 5 years, 9 months ago

sunflower_sue:Thats called a smoothie. Its yummy, but its still a smoothie.BEERHot day, must have BEER.

maybeso 5 years, 9 months ago

peppermint lemonade, mm mm mmmm...

spacehog 5 years, 9 months ago

Absolutely. I haven't slept in almost eight months. It REALLY helped me through that nasty winter. Plus I now only have a 16 inch waist so I'm lookin' good for the ladies at the pool.

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

really spacehog? and cold, warm, tepid, snowy, rainy, sunny, frozen, surface of the sun weather too!

spacehog 5 years, 9 months ago

"Ice", also known as crystal methamphetamine. Really keeps me going in this hot weather.

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

Since no glaciers will be sliding down out of the Chatauqua hills, on a really hot day I like fresh sun tea with a few sprigs of fresh mint from the backyard in the jar..lots of ice por favor. After I get cooled down a bit..follow that with some single malt scotch on the rocks to alleviate the angst of hot weather.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 9 months ago

sunflower_sue said:"1/2 cup sugar (Splenda for the death conscious)"There. I fixed it for you, sue. Sugar substitutes = death.A friend of mine works at a restaurant in Ann Arbor, and during one of the very hot, humid days of the recent Ann Arbor Art Fair, she had two women come in and order iced tea with their meal ... and between the two of them, they proceeded to consume 30 packets of Splenda. Isn't that a fatal dose?

Dixie Jones 5 years, 9 months ago

im thinkin i could hang out with a few of these margarita fans

fu7il3 5 years, 9 months ago

I actually prefer ice cream on cold rainy days in fall. Not sure why.

prospector 5 years, 9 months ago

An Oatmeal Stout Float at the Free State Brewery. They make their own ice cream too.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 9 months ago

(less than) 5 minute ice cream:10 oz frozen fruit (strawberries work nicely)1/2 cup sugar (Splenda for the diet conscious)2/3 cup cream (half and half or yogurt also works...just add a bit of milk to the yogurt to thin it)process fruit and sugar in food processor. Slowly add cream. Viola!Eat! Enjoy!I will make this concoction to share with you, jonas. You will again have hope. Life will have meaning.

rodentgirl16 5 years, 9 months ago

preebo,I love Otterpops! Do they still make them?

oldvet 5 years, 9 months ago

jonas, you need to come on over and enjoy a Bruichladdich and a Cohiba and chill out...

BABBOY 5 years, 9 months ago

Diary Queen. They are at least responible for 4 inches of my 42 inch waste line and consumption is not limited to warm weather....

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

Considering how hot it was here yesterday and how hot it will be today, a glacier would be nice.

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

The frigid embrace of a life lived without hope?

preebo 5 years, 9 months ago

Does anyone remember OtterPops?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 9 months ago

Is the "stick" on a Tupperware® Ice Tups® frozen margarita considered an open container?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

Frozen candy bars.I always forget about them, so I only have them every few years.Iced watermelon is probably the closet I do each year to a frozen favorite.I used to make great frozen southern ice cream. Now that we could eat endlessly, all the way to the bottom of the freezer!

valgrlku 5 years, 9 months ago

Bomb pops get my vote. YUMMY!