Previous   Next

Do you have the necessary skills to be a lifeguard?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 21, 2008

Browse the archives

“I can swim and could probably spot a drowning person. I know CPR, but if there is someone else around who knows it, I would leave it up to them.”

“I can swim fairly well, but I don’t know how to perform CPR or any of that type of stuff.”

“No. I could probably only save myself from drowning. But I am an EMT, so I could handle anything outside of the water.”

“Yeah. I was a lifeguard for six years in high school and college, and I’m EMT certified. So I’m sure I could still do it.”

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

As long as you don't violate the user terms of agreement!

Pywacket 5 years, 9 months ago

Why, yes, I would be quite capable of sitting on one of those little poolside towers, listening to the radio, and leaning forward so my whistle would glint in the sun & draw attention to my cleavage and away from my moby thighs! And if anyone in the water should actually start flailing, I would be up for throwing them a noodle. What.....? You mean there are other requirements?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

lol prospector and tang.I watched Batman Begins for the first time today.I was tickled to see Cillian Murphy in it as The Dr. He's really getting some good parts now. I think he's the perfect person to fill those roles that used to be played by Andy Robinson. (The Scorpio Killer in Dirty Harry.)

TacoBob 5 years, 9 months ago

Orwell, that was too funny!!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

MD: "And where's R_I today?"Last time I saw him, he was singing:"I'm called buttercup, dear little buttercup. Though I could never tell why...."( We know why. )

Orwell 5 years, 9 months ago

Tomorrow's question: Are you a turtle?

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

congrats on 18 ss! :)and the answer to today's ots is a resounding negative; i'd likely need a respirator if i even tried to save somebody's tookas, let alone my own! :)

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 9 months ago

nope, can swim and do cpr but I have no desire in the heat at all so forget it. Yeah I know lazy fat ars, all 115 lbs of me but hey at least I admit it.

prospector 5 years, 9 months ago

MD, didn't you know that Snap and I are retired Chippendale Dancers? In fact, Snap bought that Lemur farm with a pickup truck full of one dollar bills that all had phone numbers on them. Crazy times, eh Snap!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

dan...would you rescue Karen?http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/current/prospector, the thought that you knew those suits/those pictures in particular were there really makes us wonder about you! ;)autie, maybe if you just did a cannonball into the water, you could splash the person up out of the water. It might work for me.jk, I'm glad you do swim now.Sue, happy 18th. You were a little young when you had those kids, weren't you?And where's R_I today?Perhaps he's just waiting for the perfect response to come to mind.Researching for a better link than prospector's maybe.I would have a hard time if I ended up rescuing someone. I'd be struggling with whether to use the old CPR method, or the new one that they haven't turned the public loose with yet.It's survival rate is much higher than the old one.

coolmom 5 years, 9 months ago

i have the cpr, first aide and can struggle through the water by myself not sure dragging someone else would be a good idea...get them out and i could save them. i have saved 2 teens using my kayak but we would of all probably not survived if i had been in the water with them without my ever present life vest. ever notice how its just not the same swimming out to rescue someone if the would be rescuer is swimming in a vest?

dajudge 5 years, 9 months ago

Dang! How did they get my picture on that website? I didn't think anybody was watching. Must have been a hidden camera somewhere when I was trying on my "hammocks".If saving a life means tossing someone a beer, then, yes. I have the skills.Where is Widener University? I know Scott. He's about cheese.

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

Prospector, I looked. ugh is right. I'm not so sure about lunch now.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 9 months ago

prospector, you just proved my point! Ugh!

sunflower_sue 5 years, 9 months ago

snap, does anyone really look good in a speedo? lifeguard skills? probably, but I really don't want to test that theory.Ya'll play nice today. I gotta go "play nice" w/ the hubby (our 18th today).

prospector 5 years, 9 months ago

Lifeguard, I don't know. Lifesaver, been there. I was at the beach on the Gulf of Mexico on a very windy, high surf day, I saw a guy and a girl about a 100 yards out fall off a raft that just blew away from them. I went in to try to catch the raft and saw the guy grabbing at the girl and dunking her. She screamed he could not swim. I went to him and he just wanted to climb on top of me. I struggled and muscled him in until I could touch bottom and had to carry him completely out of the water before he took his death grip off me. Pretty damn intense.If I did have the skills, I would be sporting around the pool in one of these.http://shop.onrez.com/search/?SearchString=thongspeedobikini&Seller=Aces%20Spade&SearchIn=items_all_itemshttp://shop.onrez.com/item/537253

ms_canada 5 years, 9 months ago

S_P_N_C - sure would count with me, fella!!!

sgtwolverine 5 years, 9 months ago

Ha! I don't even have the necessary skills to be in water.

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

No speedo here. Surfer shorts and a large baggy tshirt. Last time I got in the pool, there was a green peace boat circling me.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 9 months ago

I can stare at hot chicks and blow a whistle.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 9 months ago

Does looking darned good in a Speedo count?

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

When I was a bit younger, no problem as i was an extremely strong swimmer. Now?? Not sure unless you don't mind being saved by a manatee.