Previous   Next

What is your opinion of low-carb dieting?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 20, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think it’s pretty successful. I’ve tried it before, and it worked well. You have to watch it if you are going to be doing a lot of exercise, but it helps keep you trim.”

“It’s not for me, I love carbs. But my mom tried it a couple of years ago and lost quite a bit of weight.”

“I think it doesn’t matter what diet you choose as long as you exercise enough. That’s my personal opinion.”

“I think that there are good carbs and bad carbs; you shouldn’t try cut them out. But if you’re on a high-protein diet and still getting enough good carbs, that’s fine.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

Hello Nurse!! (assistant)and I'm with twaldaisy

JimOhio 6 years, 5 months ago

Exercise is not enough. What we put in our bodies is critical. We must eat healthy and exercise will not turn bad foods we ate into good.

twaldaisy 6 years, 5 months ago

Thing is you shouldn't diet, you have to make lifetime lifestyle changes. You follow low carb diet, you better be prepared to do that the rest of your life. Eat in moderation, go for more whole grain type carbs, and exercise. Now I must practice what I preach.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 5 months ago

The Zone Diet is less restrictive than Atkins, and works for me.

hawklet21 6 years, 5 months ago

I haven't read the book In Defense of Food yet, but I like what Michael Pollan says: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Low-carb dieting just seems like something that would be too tempting to "cheat" on. Who doesn't love carbs??

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

All the talk about diets... regimens!When I want to lose weight, that last thing Iwant to devote incessant thought to is food.eat only when hungryeat small portions; take your timethe closer that food is to it's natural state, the better( raw vegetables are better than raw meat )gityerassouttabedandkickitdownthesidewalkonceinawhile!( and, yes, that is the longest word in the dieter's dictionary )

canyon_wren 6 years, 5 months ago

I think the Atkins diet is 'way too radical. The South Beach Diet is a little more reasonable. I would guess that low-carb diets work for a while, but nothing beats eating smaller portions, fewer processed foods and getting enough exercise.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

A diet is an excuse to go back to old habits sooner or later.

SoupBone 6 years, 5 months ago

To quote (from memory and probably not entirely accurately) diet/training guru and scientist John Berardi:Fats are fats.Protein is protein.Carbs can be tricky little suckers.Vegetables, whole grains, and other carbs that do not spike insulin are great. Carbs that raise insulin, whether they are sugars or processed pastas or breads or anything else are probably not so great. Fruits like apples are probably the exception to that because of their high fiber content.In short, the answer is not as simple as the question.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Had some marinated chicken shish Ka bobies last night Yum Yum... Nutricous and delicous. Fortunately, I have a good metabolism, and don't have to diet. I eat what, when and how much I want. My weight only fuctuates a few lbs. I stay about 220 lbs. I have shrunk an inch though. Guess that's what happens when you hit your fifties, all those jumping through hoops when we are younger catches up with us. LOL

mr_economy 6 years, 5 months ago

They're stupid stupid stupid. Quit being lazy and looking for unsustainable quick fixes, people. Europeans eat loads of carbs drowning in fat-laden sauces, and their obesity rates are nowhere near ours.The weight loss formula is far simpler than "no carbs" or "no fats" or "no meats": calories burned > calories consumed = weight loss. Find ways to cut 500 calories a day (not difficult when the average restaurant meal will give you between 1500-3000 of them), and you'll lose 1 pound of fat each week.Moreover, the right kind of carbohydrates do wonderful things to the body. Oatmeal (the old fashioned kind, not the instant-plus-pound-of-sugar kind) has been linked to lowering cholesterol levels through its fiber content. Meat has no fiber. Fruits, vegetables, and whole grains have fiber. Instead of getting rid of carbs (stupid stupid stupid), why not just eliminate refined carbs? Ditch the white bread and pasta in favor of 100% whole wheat, likewise switch white rice to brown, and plain potatoes to sweet.If you're really trying to lose weight, you need to be moving your behind, preferably strenuously for at least 30 minutes each day. That requires energy, and proper pre- and post workout nutrition. Following a hard workout, your body wants two things: amino acids and simple sugars to replace depleted glycogen levels. A glass of chocolate milk has been shown to be effective here, as is a banana and whey protein. The bottom line, though, is that carbs are needed here.In the 90s, fat was the devil. But because fat is pleasing to our taste buds, food processing companies (whose products we really shouldn't be eating anyway...) began to substitute sugar for fat. Parents were supposed to give their kids fruit juice which, sans pulp, is really just soda with vitamins. Lots of calories and little satiety provided by consumption was a sure recipe for disaster. We now recognize the fat-free craze was wrong, but the public has allowed itself to buy into the next marketing craze in low-carb diets.Then again, I think people doing Atkins are less crazy than those risking "anal leakage" with Alli.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

"... Chicken, Turkey, Tuna...."Tuna!Thanks, I knew there was something I'd forgotten on my shopping list.

Janet Lowther 6 years, 5 months ago

The first diet book was William Banting's Letter on Corpulence published in England in 1862. It was a restricted carbohydrate diet.Indeed, for the better part of a century after that, if people asked their physicians how to lose weight, the recommendation was usually some variation of the low carbohydrate diet.Of course, dietitians since the very inception of their profession have decried low-carb diets as being unbalanced, but, rather than investigating why low-carb diets work, they offered "better balanced" alternatives, which have mostly worked only in the short term.

Chrissy Neibarger 6 years, 5 months ago

I could never give up my mashed potatoes. We've switched to wheat everything, but no one will make me give up my mashed potatoes. (of course, we are lucky in the fact that no one in my house needs to lose any weight.) No, Kitty, No.. My Mashed Potatoes.

Leprechaunking13 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow, some of the thoughts on weightloss are insane! No wonder american obesity rates keep climbing. For those of you that want to shed some pounds, you didnt pack on that weight overnight so don't expect to lose it that way. Your diet should consist of 55-65% carbs, so obviously cutting carbs to diet isnt the way to go, the carbs you do cut are important though. Boost your metabolism with exercise. I was glad to read some of you know to move you butt everyday. Also eat smaller portions and eat 5 or 6 times a day instead of 2 or 3 big meals, this will help your metabolism speed up as well. However nothing beats exercise, it can get you a lot more than your desired weight with many added benefits to your heart, lungs and mind.