Previous   Next

Have you ever taken or considered taking a self-defense course?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 19, 2008

Browse the archives

“Never really thought about it. I’ve never been too worried about self-defense.”

“Yes. I’ve thought about it, but I’ve never been able to find the time.”

“I have. I was in the Navy, so it was kind of required. I think there are a lot of benefits to it, but people often try to perform at a level beyond their training, which can get you into a lot of trouble pretty quickly.”

“No. I’ve never been in a situation where I felt threatened. I don’t think it would be a bad thing to do; I’ve just never felt the need.”

Related story

Comments

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years, 1 month ago

Had to take a lot of them for my job. Thank you, Lynn

Teapot9 6 years, 1 month ago

Yes, it was titled "Surviving an Alcoholic Father". Pretty good course actually.

H_Lecter 6 years, 1 month ago

I prefer to be reason to be afraid.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

I took karate @ KU for one semester. I didn't take it for self-defense, though. I just thoght it sounded interesting.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 1 month ago

Not only have I considered taking self-defense courses,I actually took one once.Later felt guilty and put it back.

oldvet 6 years, 1 month ago

Yep, I learned about self-defense to qualify for my CC license.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 1 month ago

Don't mess with me bucko, I've got some flippin' sweet skills

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 1 month ago

I've been considering implants of skunk glands. If provoked, I could gas the offender and then they would be easy to identify.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

I'd actually recommend requiring it for anyone considering owning a handgun. It's the only gun-control legislation that I support.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

I got my blackbelt in Taekwondo last Winter, but I still stick with not being an arrogant blowhard and trying not to put myself in dangerous situations. The martial arts training was primarily for losing my beer-belly, and being able to go out on Halloween as that guy in the white suit that's in every good Chop-socky movie ever made. I can spin-kick a cigarette out of your mouth, but I'd definitely accidentally break your jaw and your nose in the process.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I'm taking one now. Well, not right this minute, but you know what I mean.

coolmom 6 years, 1 month ago

did a couple self defence courses in my younger years then joined the army military police where i learned a number of cool things and for the last several years have watched one of my kids in taekwondo several days a week from the sideline and for a while even became her sparring partner. she is 15 and tests for her 3rd degree black belt today.

born_to_run 6 years, 1 month ago

I have taken several Defensive Tactics and self-defense courses thru the years. Although it's been awhile, so I am definitely due for a refresher course. (I think it's important to keep practicing and taking these kind of classes, so that you don't just panic and freeze up if you are in a threatening situation). Also, I think it's important for all females to take self defense training. Thankfully, I've never been in a situation where I was forced to defend myself. I've always wanted to take martial arts classes too.Pink_Sock: A rear naked choke sounds kind of kinky...!

coolmom 6 years, 1 month ago

she goes to bowman martial arts northern cal. she did awesome and is now a 3rd degree and one of the highest ranked teen girls in n.california in sparring. i think i could still take her but then she sleeps heavy lol.