Previous   Next

Have you ever taken or considered taking a self-defense course?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 19, 2008

Browse the archives

“Never really thought about it. I’ve never been too worried about self-defense.”

“Yes. I’ve thought about it, but I’ve never been able to find the time.”

“I have. I was in the Navy, so it was kind of required. I think there are a lot of benefits to it, but people often try to perform at a level beyond their training, which can get you into a lot of trouble pretty quickly.”

“No. I’ve never been in a situation where I felt threatened. I don’t think it would be a bad thing to do; I’ve just never felt the need.”

Related story

Comments

coolmom 5 years, 9 months ago

she goes to bowman martial arts northern cal. she did awesome and is now a 3rd degree and one of the highest ranked teen girls in n.california in sparring. i think i could still take her but then she sleeps heavy lol.

born_to_run 5 years, 9 months ago

I have taken several Defensive Tactics and self-defense courses thru the years. Although it's been awhile, so I am definitely due for a refresher course. (I think it's important to keep practicing and taking these kind of classes, so that you don't just panic and freeze up if you are in a threatening situation). Also, I think it's important for all females to take self defense training. Thankfully, I've never been in a situation where I was forced to defend myself. I've always wanted to take martial arts classes too.Pink_Sock: A rear naked choke sounds kind of kinky...!

Jason Bowers-Chaika 5 years, 9 months ago

I've been considering implants of skunk glands. If provoked, I could gas the offender and then they would be easy to identify.

Pink_Sock 5 years, 9 months ago

For those of you that didn't know. The person on the street that asked todays question ritually practices and teaches Mixed Martial Arts. So when you see him on the street again, ask him to put you in a rear naked choke and/or an arm bar and he'll show you what pain really is.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 9 months ago

Don't mess with me bucko, I've got some flippin' sweet skills

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

Reminds me of the Playboy cartoon, where two aliens are peering into the back window of a parked car in the woods. One alien says to the other:"Curious, He keeps stabbing her with a blunt object, and she keeps asking for more!"

Charles L Bloss Jr 5 years, 9 months ago

Had to take a lot of them for my job. Thank you, Lynn

prospector 5 years, 9 months ago

Why? I have a tire iron under the seat that can do my explaining.I have been the subject of an attack, and when it is several of them with blunt objects, it don't matter.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes I did, way back when.I no longer have to worry about that.I launder my underwear in raw hamburger Aston Kutcher style, and the resulting pack of dogs surrounding me usually deters any would be attackers.If I add smoke flavoring, I also attract lots of dates.

coolmom 5 years, 9 months ago

did a couple self defence courses in my younger years then joined the army military police where i learned a number of cool things and for the last several years have watched one of my kids in taekwondo several days a week from the sideline and for a while even became her sparring partner. she is 15 and tests for her 3rd degree black belt today.

H_Lecter 5 years, 9 months ago

I prefer to be reason to be afraid.

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

I'd actually recommend requiring it for anyone considering owning a handgun. It's the only gun-control legislation that I support.

DonQuipunch 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes, it was called "Approved Conceal Carry Handgun Training Course" and it was the best $95.00 I ever spent. I'd actually recommend it to anyone considering owning a handgun.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

Not only have I considered taking self-defense courses,I actually took one once.Later felt guilty and put it back.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, I'm taking one now. Well, not right this minute, but you know what I mean.

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

I got my blackbelt in Taekwondo last Winter, but I still stick with not being an arrogant blowhard and trying not to put myself in dangerous situations. The martial arts training was primarily for losing my beer-belly, and being able to go out on Halloween as that guy in the white suit that's in every good Chop-socky movie ever made. I can spin-kick a cigarette out of your mouth, but I'd definitely accidentally break your jaw and your nose in the process.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes.I partook in a two day seminar from Dale Carnegie Training. I now can win friends and influence people.Remember, it is possible to change other people's behavior by changing one's reaction to them.

oldvet 5 years, 9 months ago

Yep, I learned about self-defense to qualify for my CC license.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

I took karate @ KU for one semester. I didn't take it for self-defense, though. I just thoght it sounded interesting.

Teapot9 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes, it was titled "Surviving an Alcoholic Father". Pretty good course actually.