Previous   Next

Is the downtown sidewalk sale a tradition for you?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 18, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, very much so. I usually just come in the afternoon when it’s cooler.”

“No, I can’t say that it is. I just happened to drive by and stopped to see what was going on.”

“Yes. This is my third year in a row.”

“It’s not necessarily a tradition for me, but I do like to check it out. And since I work downtown, it was convenient for me to shop around a little after work.”

Related story

Comments

sunflower_sue 5 years, 9 months ago

"If I wanted that much close body contact in searing heat for little reward with strangers, I'd get between Snap and his pleather chaps." -TOBNow there's an image that's not gonna leave the brain any time soon!md, I'll sleep easier knowing my Starbucks is safe...for now.Now you must excuse me while I go settle a heated arguement over toothpaste usage. (only 1 more month 'til school starts... Don't think I'm gonna make it.)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

"Is the downtown sidewalk sale a tradition for you?"Why, yes, it is.An upon posting my comment, I once again will have fulfilled that tradition.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 9 months ago

"geniusmannumber1 (Anonymous) says: "What is funny is that everyone who posts all day long, every day on this forum would never go outside and be around people much anyway. They would have to walk away from their computers." DandelionSays the person who's posted 130 times in the last month." GeniusHoo haa! That's just quality comedy right there.

Haiku_Cuckoo 5 years, 9 months ago

Does Ginger have a black eye? I know that people can get a little rough when they fight over sales items, but punching each other seems excessive.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

Dandelion.All I say to dissing like that is:Karma may just bring to you and yours, all the horror that I and my family have experienced after my young,happy, over-scheduled,crowd-loving, feast/party-throwing, hard-working, people-over-every (and I mean every)-night, do-it-all kind of life I used to enjoy. You may find yourself with medical issues that mean you 'have' to sit upright for periods throughout the night and day. And lord forbid you use a computer when you do, people will come after you!PS. I do work here, and answer up to 40 emails a day/night, (actually more than that) and some people correspond with me on the threads. I check in frequently. Not everyone is asleep the same hours you are.My grandfather once said, You can't put an old head on a young body. Ahh, youth.Thanks again for your opinion.And watch out for that karma.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 9 months ago

"What is funny is that everyone who posts all day long, every day on this forum would never go outside and be around people much anyway. They would have to walk away from their computers."Says the person who's posted 130 times in the last month.

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

If I wanted that much close body contact in searing heat for little reward with strangers,"...i'd make sure i get tickets to the douglas county demo derby.

dandelion 5 years, 9 months ago

What is funny is that everyone who posts all day long, every day on this forum would never go outside and be around people much anyway. They would have to walk away from their computers. I went, and no there isn't just junk. And yes, there are a lot of people there, but most were very fun and friendly. I'm not sure that any of you could get away from the computer long enough to have an orgy. Maybe a virtual orgy.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

I can't say that I could justify the trip out there for the sidewalk sales. I think my travel expenses would far outweigh any savings I would be getting. However, looking at the names/professions of todays respondents, the Gilligan's Island theme song popped into my head what with a Ginger, a Mariemma, and a professor. Granted Maryemma and the professor are the same person and Mariemma isn't quite Mary Ann - it was close enough that it's going to keep that stinkin' song in my head the rest of the day... here on OTS Isle.

solsken66 5 years, 9 months ago

Totally forgot it was the sidewalk sale yesterday. My husband and I decided to eat at the Mad Greek downtown. Luckily a parking stall became available just as we came upon it without having to drive to the backside or circle the blocks aimlessly looking for a convenient parking stall. My husband calls the stuff junk that merchants are trying to unload before winter stock arrives. I don't agree with his blanket assessment.

spiderman 5 years, 9 months ago

NO i only go sort of by accident if i am on Mass that day.

Ceallach 5 years, 9 months ago

Haven't gone for years."If I wanted that much close body contact in searing heat for little reward with strangers,"I'd camp out under the shrubs that surround the Campanile.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 9 months ago

I really don't know much about the sidewalk sale. I guess people go, but I don't know anyone that actually plans their day around it. I've heard it is mostly junk and end of summer crap that is unloaded. And I dislike like crowds. I like people. I dislike the massive congregation of people in one spot.--"If I wanted that much close body contact in searing heat for little reward with strangers, I'd get between Snap and his pleather chaps."

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 9 months ago

When I have gone, I never even look at the merchandise being sold. - consumer1Everything is for sale, the terms are just undefined.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm w/ md...I traditionally don't go.I say we come up with new ending lines for what md started:"If I wanted that much close body contact in searing heat for little reward with strangers,"I'd ride public transit in San Francisco during a heat wave. (Smelly, too.)

consumer1 5 years, 9 months ago

Like Multi, I don't like the crowds, but where else can a man see so many Hotties who are really hot and sweaty, oh yea! an orgy ! Woo Hoo !! When I have gone, I never even look at the merchandise being sold.

countrygirl 5 years, 9 months ago

I think the heat fried someone's brain. It's rarely cooler in the afternoon than in the morning.

Kookamooka 5 years, 9 months ago

"Yes, very much so. I usually just come in the afternoon when it's cooler."Is it cooler in the afternoon? It was 61 at 5:00am. 91 at 4:00pm.

Das_Ubermime 5 years, 9 months ago

"If I wanted that much close body contact in searing heat for little reward with strangers, I'd join an orgy."This sounds like something Batman would approve of.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

Short bus yeah baby. A "little" reward. You are going to the wrong parties darlin'...:-D

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes it is.I have traditionally avoided it since the late 70's.If I wanted that much close body contact in searing heat for little reward with strangers, I'd join an orgy.Shortbus anyone?;~)