Previous   Next

What do you think about Anheuser-Busch being purchased by a foreign company?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 15, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think it’s un-American. In a day and age where everyone is looking for American products to be American-made, it’s unfortunate. I guess now PBR will have to be the American beer of choice.”

“I think it’s weird that it’s not an American-owned brand anymore. Budweiser was always the all-American beer, and now it’s not. It will take some getting used to.”

“I’m indifferent. It’s not a product that I patronize. I think that it happens a lot more than we’re made aware of. This is just a higher-profile company.”

“It’s interesting because the Chrysler Building was just purchased by a foreign company as well, so it’s kind of become a sign of the times. It can be a little scary.”

Comments

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't really think the purchase is a big deal. We have plenty of regionally-available American-owned beers to choose from. A-B beer isn't really beer in my opinion, but I'm kind of a beer snob, too.

anothernoz 5 years, 9 months ago

I think we the people, should send all envoled with this sale an every one like it, Beer, chrysler, foriegn oil, ext. to live in the desert or to the country that they sold out to.It is exactly those people who are in the way of getting this country out of the mess we are in...I think it is called CUT AN RUN........

Haiku_Cuckoo 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm switching to Sam Adams, New Belgium of Ft. Collins and local breweries. Pabst production is outsourced to South African Breweries Ltd. so I don't consider it an American beer anymore.

preebo 5 years, 9 months ago

Bob,Unfortunately not. It's been some time, six or seven years I believe. It was perfect timing for me though. They shut down right after I moved to Cambridge, MA.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 9 months ago

It means a lot of american cash will go to a bank abroad which is not good for the USA economy. And some are going to lose jobs to help cover the cost of purchase which will not be good for the USA economy.

Daytrader23 5 years, 9 months ago

bad_dog (Anonymous) says: How about the Wynkoop brewing company in Denver? Their Jed Fest was pretty tasty. Also, Breckinridge Brewco's Avalanche and India Pale Ales were delicious. Mmmmm, beer!Or Denver Pale Ale. mmmmm Anyone ever go to Govenors Park? My old stomping grounds.But damn, Avalanche was one of my favorite beers, next to my favorite hockey team.GO AVS !!!!!

ENGWOOD 5 years, 9 months ago

Hell YOUR Governor (Obamas Mama) sells us out daily!!!!!! She has shut down economic growth in Western Kansas. She doesn't want anything made in Kansas sold outside of the State lines.Send her to Washington so the whole country can share our grief!!!!!!! Kathleen Rosa Sebelius should fit well with Barack Hussein Obama then we can really sell out AMERICA

Bossa_Nova 5 years, 9 months ago

screw inbev and that idiot warren from omaha. theyre gonna start laying people off and stripping away assets. how many american jobs will be lost from this takeover? this will only further erode the american middle class

bad_dog 5 years, 9 months ago

Daytrader23 5 years, 9 months ago

WoolyBully (Anonymous) says: Hey, you silly Americans! How much do I have to pay for your Statue of Liberty? And that broken bell in Philadelphia? You take gasoline, yes?Euros please.

WoolyBully 5 years, 9 months ago

invictus 5 years, 9 months ago

Our Foreign masters have returned and are betting us at our own game

Daytrader23 5 years, 9 months ago

preebo (Anonymous) says: Daytrader,What about Buffalo Gold? The Walnut Brewery at the corner of 14th and Walnut and who can forget Oasis Brewery (their oatmeal stout was remarkable)?Stop it, Stop it. Your making me home sick. All I have here is weisse beer and some English and Irish beers here in Europe. ( still good, but....) I remember a time when Belgium and Germany were the best beer crafters. Not any more. I can honestly say that some of the best beer in the world is about 600 miles west of Lawrence. mmmmmmm, Boulder beer,Free state is not bad either.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 9 months ago

Preebo -Is Oasis still in business?

preebo 5 years, 9 months ago

8ball 5 years, 9 months ago

WOW,shannon is smoking hott

Kat Christian 5 years, 9 months ago

Hope it improves the beer - nasty stuff. It's the new world order - get use to it.

Daytrader23 5 years, 9 months ago

Anonymous userpreebo (Anonymous) says:As a former resident of Boulder, CO., I don't want Jason Bagby to be the sole voice from the place of my Alma Mater, CU. Go Buffs! (I digress) Assistant Camera Operator? Can't they operate the camera themselves?Just as long as they don't sell Boulder brewery (Hazed and Infused, Single track) or New Belgium Brewery (Fat Tire, Sunshine Wheat) Or even Tommyknockers. Colorado knows how to make good beer. Can't forget Breckenridge Brewery and Left Hand Brewery as well. Go Colorado Mountain College Ski Bums!!!!!! And Go Buffs as well!!!!

preebo 5 years, 9 months ago

As a former resident of Boulder, CO., I don't want Jason Bagby to be the sole voice from the place of my Alma Mater, CU. Go Buffs! (I digress) Assistant Camera Operator? Can't they operate the camera themselves?Back to the point...It is a sign of the huge sell off of most American institutions. With the decline in capital across America, Sovereign Wealth Funds are springing into action to take part in the sidewalk sale on Wall Street and across America. Yesterday the Chrysler Building in NYC, today Budweiser, tomorrow who knows...

starbucks 5 years, 9 months ago

that Shannon Jobe is pretty cute!

sgtwolverine 5 years, 9 months ago

I would care, except my internet is dead and has been so for two days, which is why I'm at a coffeeshop right now. Dead internet > A-B sale. Although I've been reminded of how much time I can waste on the internet without realizing how much time I've wasted.Actually, until now, I had no idea A-B was being purchased by anyone, so I'm still digesting the news. So to speak.

Bone777 5 years, 9 months ago

Atleast, we still have the original American, Adolph Coors, oops I mean Corona.

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

"That Asian grain of choice, rice, is a major component in your Bud brands of beer!" No wonder Tsing Tao tastes exactly like Budweiser. I know AB owns it. (Well, not anymore, I guess)

crane13 5 years, 9 months ago

ever heard of budvar or czechvar?

twaldaisy 5 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Tom, my boyfriend said the other day that the Busch family had to have some kind of dirt on them. Ahhh, glad to see the privileged still get their privileges. We are torn on this as my bf does drink Bud. On one hand our hard earned money is going to support a foreign company, yet it is Americans that are still brewing the beer (or so I am assuming it will continue to be done in St. Louis), so what to do. Of course just about everything bought in America is supporting a foreign country so what is one more thing.

terrapin2 5 years, 9 months ago

Geniusmannumber1: For some reason I don't think most Bud drinkers are reading their labels. And since I don't ever have a can or bottle of Bud in my house I didn't have the opportunity to review said label.

johnadavies 5 years, 9 months ago

Any time a company gets bought people lose their jobs. On the other hand probably the beer couldn't taste any worse!

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 9 months ago

Thanks, terrapin2, for your enlightening comments. Of course, most people don't feel the need to make such a big deal about something that's clearly printed on the label.

terrapin2 5 years, 9 months ago

As a drinker of craft microbrews I find this all quite amusing! So here's what I have to say to all of the folks whining about how "This is an American company". The original Anheuser and Busch were European immigrants who came to America for new business opportunities. Now it's simply come around full-circle and the A-B conglomeration that their lone brewery became has gone back to its European roots. Get over it!From Wikipedia:"Anheuser-Busch began as a small brewery located in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1860, Eberhard Anheuser, a German-born prosperous soap manufacturer, became owner of the struggling brewery. Adolphus Busch, Anheuser's son-in-law, became partner in 1869, and became president when Anheuser died in 1880."Or one might say this is simply KARMA getting back at A-B for putting RICE in their beer!!! Also from Wikipedia:"Budweiser is made with a proportion of rice in addition to barley malt, for which it has received some criticism, though the company takes the position that the rice gives the beer a lighter taste."Duh??? Of course rice gives the beer a lighter taste! That's right, all you blue-blooded Americans! That Asian grain of choice, rice, is a major component in your Bud brands of beer! Which is why Bud, Bud Light, Busch, etc. are all so much alike........and watery...........and nearly tasteless. But since that sells so well here in the U.S. I'm sure Inbev won't be changing a thing when it comes to brewing Budweiser.

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

conservativepunker: There's some truth to that fo'sure. I do tend to switch to PBR after a few, as it is much cheaper as a general rule.But. . . perhaps you could also refer to yourself as an "anti-micro brewery snob," ne?

sunflower_sue 5 years, 9 months ago

My children were made in America. $52 billion? Hmmmm.......(Oh! You know I'm kiddin'...sorta. Don't be hatin')

conservativepunker 5 years, 9 months ago

Not being a microbrew snob, I lament this decision. As an old friend once said "It all taste's the same after the third beer". Give me Bud, Miller, PBR, etc... any day over micros.

horsegirl 5 years, 9 months ago

It makes me sad. I work for a company that was bought out by a European company, and it sucks. They don't understand America at all. At least not this company. We are in a sad state after having been bought out. And just one more thing un-American. Is there anything still made in America? Not much...

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 9 months ago

It's rare that irony reads well in OTS responses. Bravo, Greg.. Hilarious.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 9 months ago

Never underestimate the power of money:"In 1983, while attending the University of Arizona, Busch was involved in a car wreck that killed a young woman riding with him in his Corvette.[4][5] According to Tucson police, Busch had left a bar early one morning and wrecked his vehicle while making a sharp turn at high speed. His passenger, a local waitress, flew through the sunroof, and was killed in the accident. Busch left the scene of the accident without informing the police. Police found him at his Tucson townhouse eight hours later with blood still on his body. Manslaughter charges against Busch were eventually dropped after evidence (blood and urine taken from Busch the day of the accident) was lost or damaged [6].Busch was arrested again in 1985 after leading police on a high-speed car chase. He was accused of intentionally trying to run over two officers with his Mercedes.[4] He was acquitted by a St. Louis jury.Soon after, he was found guilty of another speeding violation, and received a one-year probation."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_B...

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

As long as they keep it pale, thin, and tasteless then I have no problem with this.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

Just think... If we all "Buy American made products" we can save enough money to pay our city and County taxes. America is having a " fire sale". the dollar isn't worth much.... ah heck... lets just print some more.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 9 months ago

Bug-eyed sunglasses out in full force! And Heath Ledger.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 9 months ago

"In Belgium steht ein Hofbrauhaus!"

OnlyTheOne 5 years, 9 months ago

And day by day we continue to buy foreign products giving them more money with which to purchase American companies and property as they bid against us driving up the costs of basic goods - foodstuffs, raw materials, petroleum.So go ahead shut off your imported computer, turn off the Chinese made TV and home theater system, jump in your import car and wonder why the hell gas is so expensive as you drive in to your soon to be ex-job to train your Indian job replacement.We are a stupid, cheap people!

querulousperson 5 years, 9 months ago

PBR is still an American-owned brand. However, it "outsources" its brewing to companies like Miller since PBR itself owns no breweries.http://www.answers.com/topic/pabst-brewing-company?cat=biz-fin

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 9 months ago

Greg,Pick again. Pabst is brewed by Miller, which is South African owned..

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 9 months ago

A foreign company buying a business that sells garbage products I don't buy? I'm indifferent. I know I'm supposed to be ashamed that a Euro company bought something American, but lets face it. Anheuser Busch was a fat company that had lazy leadership. They got what they deserved.Hmmm. Beer. Copperhead. When does Free State open?

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

i don't much like it. and i'm going beer shopping.

zettapixel 5 years, 9 months ago

For $52 billion I'd sell out to a foreign company too!

chet_larock 5 years, 9 months ago

We're for sale, and we're cheap!