Previous   Next

Are you planning to attend the downtown Sidewalk Sale?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yeah. I like to stock up on a lot of hats and KU shirts that they have on sale down here.”

“I will be at work, so I won’t be able to. It’s seems like I always have to work on that day, and I work downtown so we’re always very busy.”

“I’ve never been to it before, but I might have to check it out this year.”

“I’ll be working, but I will be downtown. I grew up here and just moved back from Denver. I really missed downtown Lawrence and things like the Sidewalk Sale, so I’m looking forward to it.”

Related story

Comments

acg 5 years, 9 months ago

Invictus has no need to go to the sidewalk sale. He made a killing at Macy's at the Martin Luther King white sale. He got 1/2 off on sheets for him and all his little redneck buddies.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

I used to go as a young teen, regularly. Once I learned it was 'ladies shoes size tiny stub or gargantua woman of the amazon" and the horrible things no one wanted, I quit. I realized I was just baking in the heat, and fighting crowds to look at 'nothing'.

prospector 5 years, 9 months ago

Sue, if I had a beer for every time I mention the brewery, I'd be one happy camper.Unless you hit the "It's 5:00 o'clock somewhere." cocktail hour you will miss me. I usually get out before the dinner crowd. I have been spending a lot of time in wasted Kansas this year, in fact, I am going to see the Colorado line by tonight. I won't make it to Colorado though. Got to pay for those beers somehow.If I see ya'll first, the beers are on me.

coolmom 5 years, 9 months ago

would love to go but not in town. my sis will scout for good stuff though.

mom_of_three 5 years, 9 months ago

In my twenty years of lawrence, I have probably went a handful of times during the evening, and have gotten a couple of nice deals on shoes. I am not one of those who takes the day off, though.

le 5 years, 9 months ago

Why Jon@ss..i did not realize you missed me so much..for your info ...i work for a living..but you can call me Mr.Le.....and if you are implying i took a boa...for one i am 1800 miles away..second..i am of the belief that if someone steals something you cut there F-ing hand off! Wouldnt mind catching you stealing from me....chop chop !

iplaysupernintendo 5 years, 9 months ago

I'll be there! Working at 5:30 am to pull out all our sweet sale items!

Confrontation 5 years, 9 months ago

Racism disguised as an opinion on clothing. Classy.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 9 months ago

Never attended the sale before. I have no plans on going this year, either. Prospector, I'm beginning to think that you're all talk. Every time I go to the brewery I look for you. Haven't seen you there yet. I can't begin to tell you how many free beers you've missed out on. :P

Pywacket 5 years, 9 months ago

I used to go every year, but it started to seem like the same stores always trotted out the same stuff they couldn't sell year after year--and at the same prices. I swear I saw some of the same items at (for instance) Weavers for 3-4 years running. Couldn't find anything new or different.As for shoes/clothes, the only items they seemed to be hawking cheap were those that were so monumentally hideous in color or design that they couldn't sell them any other way. I always went in great hopes of snagging treasures at bargain prices, but always left defeated at the end of the day.Who knows... I haven't gone for a few years now, so maybe it's time to try again. And now my dear spouse has an office on Mass, so I would have a place to flop down on a couch and get out of the heat for awhile. (And there's a bathroom and a drink-stocked fridge, too!)Just once, I'd like to find some shoes that didn't look like something Imogene Coca would've worn in some crazy 1960s comedy. Maybe that will be my quest.Also: What Jonas said! I have to admit, though, that WereAllMonkeys's Grey Poupon riff was pretty funny.

trinity 5 years, 9 months ago

hai! ize needin ridez in ur strollerz for the salez! mr snapcracklez can u HALP mee?!

duplenty 5 years, 9 months ago

"Some people's fashon sends the meseagte "I don't have job and don't plan on getting one anytime soon"Kinda like some people's posts send the message that they're really, really awesome with the readin' and tha writin'?

conservativepunker 5 years, 9 months ago

Do they have any ballcaps with the bill on the side instead of the front? I've been lookin fer one o' those....

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

sidewalk sales are like garage sales and yard sales. I couldn't figure out how anybody got one home after they bought it.

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

invictus: Sure it does. Just keep telling yourself that.

prospector 5 years, 9 months ago

Prospector in route to the brewery, "Hey get your stroller full of crap out of my way!". Ah, the day we can all be like Dennis, the fella that can be see around downtown pushing a stroller with a doll and his stuff in it.

invictus 5 years, 9 months ago

invictus 5 years, 9 months ago

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

Funny, but for some reason we don't feel the need to start stereotyping our posts with street speak etc. when we're talking about the white folks with their enormous sunglasses. Why is that, are all fashion blunders not equal?

John Spencer 5 years, 9 months ago

YO YO YO double D! u wearin thu culurs of the Gulden Guild. We here at the Grey pupon Posse can't thake this lyin down! Our Hot dogs will be flying tonight!The Mass St GPP has spoken.word to your mustard maker.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 9 months ago

iM on yr siDewalk,buying yR stUff.LOL!

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 9 months ago

I've got enough crap as it is. I guess this sale would be cool if I was into shopping.

Bone777 5 years, 9 months ago

was_freashpowder -don't be hatin' on Double D. He is the 'Minnie Pearl' of the 2000's. Check out them tags for snizzle...

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

Sure, I'm looking for another boa. Is that you, LE?

was_freashpowder 5 years, 9 months ago

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

Only if they create a new attraction like this in California. It could be a "moonwalk".http://moonamtrak.org/