Previous   Next

Do you want a new iPhone?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 12, 2008

Browse the archives

“I live in southwest Kansas, and we don’t get service out there. So no, I don’t want one, but I would if I could use it.”

“No, I like the Instinct. It’s less expensive and just as good, maybe better.”

“I do want one, but the plan is a little too far out of my budget.”

“Not so much. I basically just use my phone to talk to people on the go, and that’s all.”

Related story

Comments

gccs14r 6 years, 5 months ago

I liked my old StarTac with the extra battery. It didn't have a bunch of fluff features and could go a whole week on one charge most of the time. Now I have a phone with features I don't need and have to charge it at least twice a week. I don't think we're moving forward.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

Sort of, but not really. I might actually rather have an iPod Touch (iPod tOuch?) right now; it has some of the functionality without the higher phone bill. I mean, the iPhone is pretty amazing, and I would enjoy having one, but I just don't have the money to pay for the plan.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

"Apple sucks."I have to admit, if there is a respect in which Apple sucks, it is respect to device constraints and their evolving price structure, especially with respect to the iPhone and related services.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

"Spoken like a true nerd! LOL"So... are you laughing at me... or just near me??;-)

ms_canada 6 years, 5 months ago

Will you all join with me in wishing Sunflower Sue a very Happy Birthday. Although she probably is too busy being feted this day by her wonderful family and friends to take time for the board today. Happy Birthday Sue and many more of them. Have a wonderful day.

beatrice 6 years, 5 months ago

Sigmund, very clever and funny. No, I don't want one. I only use my cell phone for emergencies or when traveling. Otherwise, it is turned off. I'm not big on the idea of a constant tether to the rest of the world and I feel extended periods of silence, of not communicating with others, is important.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

I'll keep my old iPhone. No need for GPS (like g_t, and for the same reasons), and can do without the shortened battery life of 3G. The iPhone is a gem, though... lets me take my phone with me on evening runs, and, doubling as an iPod, keeps Mark E. Smith spitting in my ear as I pound the pavement.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

Sigmund: "I have always wanted GPS built into my phone, the Telenav system offers voice or on screen turn-by-turn driving so you can easily locate places you need to directions to...."I find myself with geekin_ on this one..."GPS?It is funner to get lost.You see more stuff that way."I've always been a selfnavigator, only consulting maps during stops on cross-country road trips.Though I was pretty wowed by the possibilities of GPS when it first became generally available, something about "turn-by-turn" just smacks of..."teaching math" to kids on calculators.( Now, let me check this with my handy dandy spell checker, and I'll fire it off.... )

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm quite fond of my current iPhone, so I'll stick with it.

capricorn70 6 years, 5 months ago

I already have one. I'm doing this with it now.

rlmtyco 6 years, 5 months ago

I'll stick with my sure fire blackberries. they never let me down and are always on the cutting edge with technologies and are alot more third party friendly.

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

Overall the Samsung Instinct is a better value not only cheaper to buy with much cheaper call/data plans on a faster network. Sprint has an 'everything plan' that gives you unlimited voice and data for just $99.99 per month that include web surfing, GPS navigation, Sprint TV, text, video, e-mail, Sprint Music, etc.One example, I have always wanted GPS built into my phone, the Telenav system offers voice or on screen turn-by-turn driving so you can easily locate places you need to directions to, like restaurants, hotels, shops. It also shows the lowest gas prices in your area, alerts you about the traffic conditions and suggests smart reroutes and the maps are in full color, the iPhone system doesn't even come closeThat said, I own AAPL stock because the Steve Job reality distortion field is still very strong. So if you feel a sudden urge to run out and buy a dozen or so, I will be all smiles! On the the other hand l will be buying the HTC Touch Pro if and when it gets released to the US market.http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=49524

geekin_topekan 6 years, 5 months ago

For real Zach.No gadgets or games.Call me and I may or may not answer.GPS?It is funner to get lost.You see more stuff that way.My little built in flashlight and bowling game and I am fine.

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow, that was astonishingly fast. I have heard from Apple's legal department and they have asked that I amend my post to include the following notice:The "Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field" (tm) is the exclusive trade mark of Apple, Inc, and may not be used without written prior approval of Apple, Inc. and Mr. Jobs. Approval is not given when such usage is meant, or could be construed to mean, or convey, or suggest, or imply, some potential negative aspect. or aspects, of "Drinking Kool-Aid," Propaganda, Suggestibility, or "Truthiness." Further the SJRDF (tm) is not only a method, or procedure, for outright mass deception, but also a "case by case warping the powers of judgment of a given audience." In describing "The Effect" (tm) of such warping of the SJRDF(tm) the term "audience" may refer to an individual, or individuals, whose attitude, or attitudes, Mr. Job(s) is intending to affect.

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says: "any of these multifunction/IP capable phones have a 'dual band' or world band' model? so you could buy your iphone or instinct, etc., here and use it in japan or china? this is a surprisingly serious issue. I bet Jonas already resolved it though!"Not all devices are usable in all markets for both technical and non-technical reasons (individual carrier restrictions for instance). Currently in general any phone on the CDMA network (Sprint) will offer higher data speeds but will not work on other carriers networks. The iPhone on ATT's slower network could work on other carriers similar networks but they signed an "exclusive contract" with Apple. There are some phones that will work both in the US and in some markets overseas but as far as I know there isn't a phone that will work on all carriers networks everywhere.You could take your laptop or WiFi enabled phone with you overseas and use "Hot Spots" to make calls over WiFi using Vonage or other similar VOIP (Voice Over IP) service. You won't be using a telephone carrier to place the call, you use the wireless Interweb to place the call and Vonage routes it to the carrier needed to complete it. Incoming calls would require you to be connected to a wireless router or they will go to voicemail.Sprint, Google, Intel, Clearwire and others are working on a nationwide WiMAX network. Blazingly fast speeds and any manufacturer could make your phone, laptop, TV, dishwasher compatible. You would pay a flat fee to the carrier but there would be no "phone plan" or contract, just pay as you go. It is being tested in a few markets and if it is a success the next hot phone could be the Google phone.http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080129-report-sprint-clearwire-again-talking-wimax-partnership.htmlAll the test of radio frequency and brain/face/ear tumors that I have seen suggests that there is some concern for childrens, but not so much for adults. Even those results were not conclusive nor repeatable. Early on microwave ovens were also thought to leak enough RF to be a health concern, but I have seen nothing come of that. There probably is a increased risk, but we should all be dead of Global Warming long before then.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm waiting for the iGlock.what a great idea! gun, phone, computer, gps, hey, I could shoot somebody, bury them, record the exact coordinates, e-mail them to myself, take apicture of the place, go through an anonymous e-mail site and taunt the fbi, all with one device, then phone my dishwasher and tell it to start, on extra strong clean! wow, the possibilities! then, go home, and shoot the dishwasher for having the afrontery to be on the internet*! heck, dishwashers on the web, probably start e-mailing reports on the condition of your dishes, before the cleaning.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

thanks Jonas. yes, it was probably software. "scrambling the circuits?" not really. just a loose nut behind some keyboard!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

work on other carriers similar networks but they signed an "exclusive contract" with Apple. There are some phones that will work both in the US and insome markets overseas but as far as I know there isn't a phone that will work on all carriers networks everywhere.--sigmund,yes, I knew that it is impossible to have one phone operate in every locality in the world unless it is a satelite phone! but a "dual band' or 'world phone' that works here, and in japan/china, would cover a lot of the globe. have two friends dealing with this very question. -very cool that about the future indeed. however, when my dishwasher is calling, I think I'm shooting it! ***hey Sunny-Sue! that's just vintage, not age.

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says: "I'm waiting for the iGlock."Your wait is over.http://pichaus.com/port-usb-gun-glock-@cdfeb958bd08188160f5f9f5a82db504/

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

gnome: My iPhone was certainly supposed to work in China with an international plan addition, but it didn't work at all. It was probably a software issue, as no one at ATT could explain to me why it didn't work there except that they must have messed up my package and then scrambled the circuits yada yada (they did credit my bill close to a hundred dollars in apology though), but my teammate for our project in Shanghai also had ATT, and his phone worked just fine the entire trip.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

Jonas, Sigmund, TRA, et al, question:any of these multifunction/IP capable phones have a 'dual band' or world band' model? so you could buy your iphone or instinct, etc., here and use it in japan or china? this is a surprisingly serious issue. I bet Jonas already resolved it though!*happy birthday Sunny-Sue!who or what jumped outa the middle of your cake today? you're a fine babe.

labmonkey 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't think I want any type of GPS. A couple friends and I were going to a CC event, and one had a Garmin, the other a TomTom. I got to thinking that when my wife is with me, I really only need one female voice nagging me, not a live one and a computerized one. I do fine printing off mapquest instructions....and once I've been someplace, I can almost always get back there.As for the iPhone, I say no. That's too many devices on one little object....if you lose it or accidently break it, you're screwed. I also question replacing many devices that run on battery with one.....how many times will I have to recharge this thing?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the birthday wishes y'all! Barring the funeral I had to attend out of town today, it was a good one! :) And for the record...40 doesn't feel any older than 39!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't think I want any type of GPS. A couple friends and I were going to a CC event, and one had a Garmin, the other a TomTom. I got to thinking that---"CC event?" = cross country? yes, spiderman/unCool, there's increasing indication that cell phones operating at the higher freqs may be increasing incidence of brain tumors. we won't know for sure for about ten years, then it'll be too late for a he of a lot of people if so.
remember the "bagphones?" they operated around 450mhz.

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 5 months ago

IGLOCK, now that has got possibilities. Someone gets that "Dear John" break up call and they already have the IGLOCK to their head. I can see the warnings now about typing one handed while viewing adult material.