Previous   Next

Does meeting a political candidate in person increase the likelihood you will vote for them?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 11, 2008

Browse the archives

“No. But if I’ve gone to the trouble to go somewhere to meet them, I’m probably already inclined to vote for them.”

“Of course, I think it does. I think any human interaction with them is probably going to have a positive influence on your perception of them.”

“No. I’m more concerned about how they feel about issues.”

“No. I think if you know enough about the candidate and their views, then I don’t think there is any need to meet them in person.”

Related story

Comments

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 9 months ago

Why would anyone go to the trouble to meet a candidate that they wouldn't vote for? Sure, candidates have lives to some extent and interact as a human being, but most people don't interact with them. I would say that this is a 'chicken or the egg' question.

sandrat 5 years, 9 months ago

I met Tommy Thompson (former Republican governor of Wisconsin) in a bathroom in Council Bluffs, IA before the Iowa Caucus. He was using the urinal next to mine. After checking out his platform, I decided I couldn't support him.;-)

ms_canada 5 years, 9 months ago

Beatrice - that was over the top hilarious!! Way to go. My feelings exactly.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

The "meeting" of political candidates-even at a distance-only increases the likelihood that I may never vote again.

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

I did get to meet Brownback and Tiahrt. They are both just as obnoxious and phony in real life. What a major disppoinment. Visited with Pat Roberts briefly one day and he is one heck of a nice guy..grandfatherly and all that. Time for pasture.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 9 months ago

Maybe but liars usally make me nervous so I avoid them.

janeyb 5 years, 9 months ago

Saw Kathleen Sebelius at the opening run for the Sunflower Games about 4 years ago. She really came across as Queen Kathleen with her lady-in-waiting following her around pinning on Kathy's numbers and catering to her every need. Not impressive, but not so bad as to make me vote for the a GOP governor.

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

I saw the wax figure of George Bush at Madame Trousseau's in London. I would have voted for the wax version before voting for the one we got. Does that count?

notnowdear 5 years, 9 months ago

NO, meeting a candidate does not make me more likely to vote for him. I have met Pat Roberts on several occasions and I am going to work my arse off to see he is defeated. I have met Jim Ryun too, know his dismissive, senseless, egotistical personality and so on, and it would be a long-term subzero series of days in hell, since that is a location where he is headed, before I would ever vote for him.

ms_canada 5 years, 9 months ago

It all depends on a lot of things. Just meeting and speaking for a minute or two would not do it for me. I don't know if your candidates go door knocking like they do here. The guy and his pals run, and I mean run up and down the street and simply introduce them selves to whomever answers the door. What the heck is that going to tell anyone. Here is what happened last provincial election here in Calgary. My daughter is a big Liberal supporter. She got all gung ho and started seriously working for the candidate in her constituency. Weeeeeeeeell!! Just before voting day, she told me she would not vote for him at all. It took a while of close contact to know what he was really like. As I said, it all depends.

staff04 5 years, 9 months ago

I think most people are pretty disarmed when they meet a candidate in person--especially if they had a negative opinion of the person. They are shocked to discover that they are much more likable than what they expected...

sunflower_sue 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm with blue. (Not KU blue...as that would be infringing on a copywright, and I wouldn't want to do that.)I

classclown 5 years, 9 months ago

My answer is a blend of Mary Ann Martin's and blue73harley's. If I make plans to meet a candidate, I'm most likely inclined to vote for him/her. But as blueharley said, they may make me NOT want to vote for them.Seems they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Except for people that vote for the party rather than the person. The Kool-Aid is strong with them.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 9 months ago

This Saturday at the Lawrence Farmers Market, you can meet candidates for local and state offices from 7am to 11 am.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 9 months ago

I met Ross Perot one time. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

autie 5 years, 9 months ago

Maybe..if they slip me a hundred or so. NO, NO, NO. They better do some tall talking to convince me what they are all about.

blue73harley 5 years, 9 months ago

Actually it could go either way. The candidate might come across as a real jerk.