Previous   Next

What do you like best about Fourth of July this year?

Asked at the field below Sesquicentennial Point on July 5, 2008

Browse the archives

“The best thing for me is I am off work. I work a rotating shift and the last few times I have had to work.”

“Today is my 16th birthday and my family is down from Kentucky. So that is fun.”

“Coming out to Clinton Lake and shooting fireworks. It is a lot of fun.”

Related story

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

Well jeepers.I wasn't going to comment on militants post, with all that's been happening around here, but since you did...Send a message to H_Lecter..I believe he has something in his basement to deal with this. If nothing else, just to share holiday leftovers.gnome, what shall we all bring for our meeting with satan at the lower gates?:)

bearded_gnome 5 years, 9 months ago

you're welcome Marion, et al. I love Cash's singing, saying, that. it never fails to move me. patriot I am. thanks for the words to the Stars and Stripes Forever, I knew about them. you know the other verses to the national anthem aren't very pc, neither is the Battle Hymn of the Republic in its original form. "And God bless my soldier, too" recent song, very moving. wow. militant, while there's still fireworks, you can use a little dynamite to speed digging that sudden hole you need. any body asks, just tell 'em your neighbor's shooting bottle rockets! LOL.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 9 months ago

Many of you don't know why you got where you are, much less how you got here, so let me take you back a moment to 1942, perhaps the last time that our Great Nation was anything even close to being united in a cause.A little schlocky and heavy handed and perhaps even a somewhat simplistic but ya know what?In 1942, the United States was not winning the war and might well have lost had only a few things gone differently.James Cagney and thousands of other actors, directors, producers, extras, singers and even stunt men and women, joined the War Effort which I think represents the greatest single unification of any population in the history of the world and the fact is, the United States of America won that war.Anway, I found the video a bit slow to load but that might just be the security on my box and remember, there ARE certain aspects of this video which would not be included today in deference to political correctness; there is a short burst of "Dixie' but remember, the Confederate soldier was an American, no matter how misguided by tradition, so look at the clip in the eyes of the time, not the jaded and clouded gaze of political correctness and remember or learn why this country is great!:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAptRG5S4Q

Marion Lynn 5 years, 9 months ago

Most people today don't even know that the famed Sousa march has lyrics, no matter how politcially incorrect the lyrics may appear in this "I'm OK; You're OK" society, you should read them and think about them:"Stars and Stripes Forever"by John Philip Sousa Let martial note in triumph floatAnd liberty extend its mighty handA flag appears 'mid thunderous cheers,The banner of the Western land.The emblem of the brave and trueIts folds protect no tyrant crew;The red and white and starry blueIs freedom's shield and hope.Other nations may deem their flags the bestAnd cheer them with fervid elationBut the flag of the North and South and WestIs the flag of flags, the flag of Freedom's nation.Hurrah for the flag of the free!May it wave as our standard forever,The gem of the land and the sea,The banner of the right.Let despots remember the dayWhen our fathers with mighty endeavorProclaimed as they marched to the frayThat by their might and by their rightIt waves forever.Let eagle shriek from lofty peakThe never-ending watchword of our land;Let summer breeze waft through the treesThe echo of the chorus grand.Sing out for liberty and light,Sing out for freedom and the right.Sing out for Union and its might,O patriotic sons.Other nations may deem their flags the bestAnd cheer them with fervid elation,But the flag of the North and South and WestIs the flag of flags, the flag of Freedom's nation.Hurrah for the flag of the free.May it wave as our standard foreverThe gem of the land and the sea,The banner of the right.Let despots remember the dayWhen our fathers with might endeavorProclaimed as they marched to the fray,That by their might and by their rightIt waves forever.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 9 months ago

I spent part of yesterday listening to music as I don't do fireworks and remembered Horowitz' interview with Mike Wallace on "60 Minutes" many years ago.Horowitz set the bar for performing "The Stars And Stripes Forever!".At the risk of catching H*ll from "staff", I'm going to link to that interview and you only need to watch it until Horowitz breaks off from Wallace's requested tune and then go to the next link which is the full performance:"60 Minutes":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpsj01NU1kQThe Performance To Which All Others Are Compared:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_kp79AckLA

militant 5 years, 9 months ago

I like that the gunshots sound like fireworks. Does anyone know of a place a person could bury something?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 9 months ago

well, here in N.Lawrence there were lots of firecrackers, and big booms! glad that's done. who is doing those giant booms and with what? you hear them from inside the house, they're two blocks away--hear them loud!---"Ragged Old Flag"I walked through a county courthouse squareOn a park bench, an old man was sittin' there.I said, "Your old court house is kinda run down,He said, "Naw, it'll do for our little town".I said, "Your old flag pole is leaned a little bit,And that's a ragged old flag you got hangin' on it".He said, "Have a seat", and I sat down,"Is this the first time you've been to our little town"I said, "I think it is"He said "I don't like to brag, but we're kinda proud ofThat Ragged Old Flag"You see, we got a little hole in that flag there,When Washington took it across the Delaware.and It got powder burned the night Francis Scott Key sat watching it,writing "Say Can You See"It got a rip in New Orleans, with Packingham & Jacksontugging at its seams.and It almost fell at the Alamobeside the Texas flag,But she waved on though.She got cut with a sword at Chancellorsville,And she got cut again at Shiloh Hill.There was Robert E. Lee and Beauregard and Bragg,And the south wind blew hard onThat Ragged Old Flag"On Flanders Field in World War I,She got a big hole from a Bertha Gun,She turned blood red in World War IIShe hung limp, and low, a time or two,She was in Korea, Vietnam, She went where she was sentby her Uncle Sam.She waved from our ships upon the briny foamand now they've about quit wavin' back here at homein her own good land here She's been abused,She's been burned, dishonored, denied an' refused,And the government for which she standsHas been scandalized throughout out the land.And she's getting thread bare, and she's wearin' thin,But she's in good shape, for the shape she's in.Cause she's been through the fire beforeand i believe she can take a whole lot more."So we raise her up every morningAnd we bring her down slow every night,We don't let her touch the ground,And we fold her up right.On second thoughtI do* like to bragCause I'm mighty proud ofThat Ragged Old Flag"[www.azlyrics.com ]

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

Edit, sorry. It's actually Mega Hog!

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey, a while back I was reminiscing about a great show on TV that was talking about the spread of wild hogs, but it was done really weird, with cheesy re-enactments of a monstrous hog getting shot by a farmer, and a map showing the spread of the hogs across North America, represented by a spread of red and dark music like it was the spread of Communism. Well, that show is on right now! It's on History channel, part of a series called Monsterquest, and it's called Monster Hog. Tune in or hunt it down for a good laugh.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

How about just 'dud'?;)===milkman_dan (Anonymous) says: Itth hath nothingggg tho do withh alcothhol---I take it that intensive rehab program the boss recommended hasn't paid off?http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2008-05-06/index.html(I'm kinda enjoying Earl and the extermination myself)

johnadavies 5 years, 9 months ago

That my house didn't burn down last night (it was pretty quiet here) and that the people will have a chance to read about the harmful chemicals (like perchlorates in the lake left by those lovely fireworks):http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/abstract.cgi/esthag/2007/41/i11/abs/es0700698.htmlJust call me Mr. Buzzkill!

milkman_dan 5 years, 9 months ago

Itth hath nothingggg tho do withh alcothhol