Previous   Next

Do you use Wikipedia for your information?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 31, 2008

Browse the archives

“I have on rare occasions. I don’t go there to find information, but when it pops up on the search engine, I’ll take a look at it.”

“Yeah, sometimes, to research a topic or get information on just about anything if I need to know who’s who, what’s where or pretty much anything.”

“Yes, anytime I’m interested in something or need information for school. I don’t count on it being accurate, but it gives me a general idea.”

“Of course. It depends on what I’m looking for, but it’s a good introduction to most subjects. And for the most part I’ve found it to be pretty reputable, but I wouldn’t ever use it as a source.”

Comments

ohjayhawk 9 years ago

I'll have to third what Dante and blue said.

jonas 9 years ago

Honestly, I can't remember. I'll go check the wiki on it and get back to you.

mom_of_three 9 years ago

If I want to look up general information, nothing historical, than I might look at it to see what it says. But I will echo what they did at the top - never, ever use it as a source.

mmmskyscraper 9 years ago

For me, Wikipedia is great as a "jumping off point." You can start there to get a general idea, some background information, and use that to search more reliable or academic sources.

OnlyTheOne 9 years ago

You can't trust it, Like here anybody can post anything correct or not.

salad 9 years ago

Dante Columbo; now that's a superhero name! ....or a south american drug-lord name.

jhwk2008 9 years ago

Actually, it can be used as a source. I know a professor with a PhD and law degree, both from Harvard, who used it for a peer reviewed article. I've also used it for a highly regarded, graduate level paper. However, it was only one of my 75 citations.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

what everybody else said...um... 'cept for jhwk2008.

moo 9 years ago

It's great for general info. If you're actually doing serious research on a topic, it is good to get the basics, but most useful to find other sources. Their citations tend to be very helpful.

Flap Doodle 9 years ago

All things read on both wiki & dead tree media should be carefully evaluated.

Flap Doodle 9 years ago

I don't even trust what I write.

ms_canada 9 years ago

Yes, I use it a lot as I always seem to be curious about something. Just now finished looking up the Canonical Hours or the Divine Office of the churches of old. You know, Matins, Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline. I am reading a book by Ellis Peters about the advent of Brother Cadfael. Love that guy!! Wish someone would make a few more episodes for TV starring Derek Jacobi. But as others have noted, I don't trust it completely and look for other references if I need an exact bit of Knowledge.

conservativepunker 9 years ago

Use a resource where any fool can input information? Not bloody likely. I try and stay away from the 'net in general. Too much disinformation.

Jarrod Morgenstern 9 years ago

I use Wikipedia 10X a day. It is great for the quick, non-essential information.

If you like using Wikipedia, I would also suggest taking a look at WiKUpedia, a wiki devoted to everything KU. From student organizations to basketball camping to White Owl, WiKUpedia will be the one-stop shop for all things KU.

www.connectku.com/wiki

Here are a few of my favorite articles:

KU Basketball Camping: http://www.connectku.com/wiki/index.php?title=Basketball_Camping

KU for Uganda: http://www.connectku.com/wiki/index.php?title=KU_for_Uganda&rcid=2639

Black Student Union: http://www.connectku.com/wiki/index.php?title=Black_Student_Union

Please take a look, and teach the KU community about something you know or feel passionate about. Thanks!

GretchenJP 9 years ago

Sometimes. Although it's fun to go in and edit stuff and make it silly. Oooh, I'm so bad!

O_brother 9 years ago

In the words of the great Abraham Lincoln [*], "I pity the fool who uses a wiki as his sole source."

[*] According to a certain well known wiki.

lildos 9 years ago

Good to know a Seventh grader is smarter than some college students...I had problems with KU students using Wikipedia as their only source even after I asked them over and over again not to do so. From what I hear from some of my friends this is not a problem only to KU though, there are a lot of college students not only using Wikipedia but citing it and not clearly understanding why it is not a reliable source.

I myself check IMDB.com, because I have become obsessed with knowing everything about movies and tv shows.

GretchenJP 9 years ago

Who wants to be president of the Dante Columbo fan club?

SeaFox 9 years ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says: Nope, I use the Bible.

OnlyTheOne (Anonymous) says: You can't trust it, Like here anybody can post anything correct or not.

Are we talking about Wikipedia still or the Bible?