Previous   Next

Do you use Wikipedia for your information?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 31, 2008

Browse the archives

“I have on rare occasions. I don’t go there to find information, but when it pops up on the search engine, I’ll take a look at it.”

“Yeah, sometimes, to research a topic or get information on just about anything if I need to know who’s who, what’s where or pretty much anything.”

“Yes, anytime I’m interested in something or need information for school. I don’t count on it being accurate, but it gives me a general idea.”

“Of course. It depends on what I’m looking for, but it’s a good introduction to most subjects. And for the most part I’ve found it to be pretty reputable, but I wouldn’t ever use it as a source.”

Comments

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I'll have to third what Dante and blue said.

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Honestly, I can't remember. I'll go check the wiki on it and get back to you.

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

If I want to look up general information, nothing historical, than I might look at it to see what it says. But I will echo what they did at the top - never, ever use it as a source.

mmmskyscraper 7 years, 3 months ago

For me, Wikipedia is great as a "jumping off point." You can start there to get a general idea, some background information, and use that to search more reliable or academic sources.

OnlyTheOne 7 years, 3 months ago

You can't trust it, Like here anybody can post anything correct or not.

salad 7 years, 3 months ago

Dante Columbo; now that's a superhero name! ....or a south american drug-lord name.

jhwk2008 7 years, 3 months ago

Actually, it can be used as a source. I know a professor with a PhD and law degree, both from Harvard, who used it for a peer reviewed article. I've also used it for a highly regarded, graduate level paper. However, it was only one of my 75 citations.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

what everybody else said...um... 'cept for jhwk2008.

moo 7 years, 3 months ago

It's great for general info. If you're actually doing serious research on a topic, it is good to get the basics, but most useful to find other sources. Their citations tend to be very helpful.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

All things read on both wiki & dead tree media should be carefully evaluated.

ms_canada 7 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I use it a lot as I always seem to be curious about something. Just now finished looking up the Canonical Hours or the Divine Office of the churches of old. You know, Matins, Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline. I am reading a book by Ellis Peters about the advent of Brother Cadfael. Love that guy!! Wish someone would make a few more episodes for TV starring Derek Jacobi. But as others have noted, I don't trust it completely and look for other references if I need an exact bit of Knowledge.

conservativepunker 7 years, 3 months ago

Use a resource where any fool can input information? Not bloody likely. I try and stay away from the 'net in general. Too much disinformation.

Jarrod Morgenstern 7 years, 3 months ago

I use Wikipedia 10X a day. It is great for the quick, non-essential information.

If you like using Wikipedia, I would also suggest taking a look at WiKUpedia, a wiki devoted to everything KU. From student organizations to basketball camping to White Owl, WiKUpedia will be the one-stop shop for all things KU.

www.connectku.com/wiki

Here are a few of my favorite articles:

KU Basketball Camping: http://www.connectku.com/wiki/index.php?title=Basketball_Camping

KU for Uganda: http://www.connectku.com/wiki/index.php?title=KU_for_Uganda&rcid=2639

Black Student Union: http://www.connectku.com/wiki/index.php?title=Black_Student_Union

Please take a look, and teach the KU community about something you know or feel passionate about. Thanks!

GretchenJP 7 years, 3 months ago

Sometimes. Although it's fun to go in and edit stuff and make it silly. Oooh, I'm so bad!

O_brother 7 years, 3 months ago

In the words of the great Abraham Lincoln [*], "I pity the fool who uses a wiki as his sole source."

[*] According to a certain well known wiki.

lildos 7 years, 3 months ago

Good to know a Seventh grader is smarter than some college students...I had problems with KU students using Wikipedia as their only source even after I asked them over and over again not to do so. From what I hear from some of my friends this is not a problem only to KU though, there are a lot of college students not only using Wikipedia but citing it and not clearly understanding why it is not a reliable source.

I myself check IMDB.com, because I have become obsessed with knowing everything about movies and tv shows.

GretchenJP 7 years, 3 months ago

Who wants to be president of the Dante Columbo fan club?

SeaFox 7 years, 3 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says: Nope, I use the Bible.

OnlyTheOne (Anonymous) says: You can't trust it, Like here anybody can post anything correct or not.

Are we talking about Wikipedia still or the Bible?