Previous   Next

What are some things you would take to a repair shop instead of replacing them?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on January 27, 2008

Browse the archives

“I’ve taken my lawn mower in, and I’ve had a repairman come out to look at my washer and dryer and my stove before. With most electronics, though, I would probably buy a new one if I couldn’t fix it myself.”

“Any major appliance. I’ve taken my favorite pair of shoes in before, my watch and glasses, of course. Anything that’s still in good condition.”

“Expensive electronics or appliances and any luxury items, like a watch or anything that can’t be replaced.”

“My TV or my lawn mower, I guess. I can’t really think of anything else.”

Comments

H_Lecter 6 years, 11 months ago

My wife (of course, it would be dependent on the amount of damage and the cost of repair but that would be the same concern for every good and loving husband)

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't really know; I'm being distracted by some of the bizarre stories in the "most discussed" column. Like:

"Dare you! Boys' tongues get stuck on flagpole" "5-legged cat to undergo surgery to remove legs"

Is this the Onion or something?

dajudge 6 years, 11 months ago

Certainly not my car. I had a low tire once and had to replace the entire car. Again, a thermostat needed replacing, so I bought a new one, with an entirely different car around it. Other than that, I have them come work on my CT-Scanner and MRI machine. I fixed the can opener by myself, I plugged it in.

KU_cynic 6 years, 11 months ago

What are some things you would take to a repair shop instead of replacing them?

A bruised ego.

A damaged psyche.

A broken heart.

A warped sensibility.

C'mon, join in the fun.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 11 months ago

My 20 year old yellow waterproof Sony radio. A few repairs may well get me another 20. I've got a pair of Danner boots that will be off for rehab soon. Danners never die.

My brew glasses just need washing and they are ready more time.

The bottom line in many cases, if it cannot be repaired that object may not be worth purchasing.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

Things the hubby can't fix: anything that requires more finesse than a 3/4 inch breakover will provide. :) (Actually, he's usually pretty good at fixing things. If not, I've got a pretty good pool of neighbors that can usually help me out.)

selene 6 years, 11 months ago

I never repair anything except my car.

Bill Chapman 6 years, 11 months ago

My recliner - a brace broke and no longer kept the frame solid enough for the footrest to open/close properly. I just took a piece of metal edging I had, cut it to length, drilled some holes, and put it where the brace was. Recliner works fine now.