Previous   Next

Do you think Kansas University is a good value?

Asked at Jayhawk Boulevard on January 25, 2008

Browse the archives

“As far as the faculty goes, I think they’re great. But in terms of the cost of tuition, fees and books, I do feel like I’m being gouged a bit.”

“I think that the value of a college education is more related to the student’s approach to their education rather than the amount the student pays for it.”

“If you’re talking about return on investment, then yeah, it’s a great value. When you compare it pricewise to other state universities of the same caliber, you’re getting a better education for the same or lesser price.”

“I did my undergrad up north, and it was a lot more expensive. So I think it’s a good value compared to a lot of other universities, but I do think that the tuition is getting pretty steep.”

Comments

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

Ask me in two years after I've graduated from Grad School. I might be able to give you an answer then.

jhawk0097 6 years, 11 months ago

Nia would make a great PR/HR boot licker. Great answer!

H_Lecter 6 years, 11 months ago

Not for years, but KU Med has the slickest PR campaign. Honestly, the quality has dropped at both schools.

toefungus 6 years, 11 months ago

These ranking are meaningless. However, KU's academic excellence has deteriorated in a lot of places in the last few years. Can anyone guess why and who is responsible?

Bill Chapman 6 years, 11 months ago

The presence of KU prevents the possibility of there EVER being a city or tech college being started in Lawrence. They have no courses just for teaching someone a career without filling the "general requirements". For someone like myself, who has very limited transportation, it is a curse.

P.S. I thought Nia was a political sciences student from the way she said it. >Sounds good but can mean just about anything the listener / reader wants it to mean.

HighScore 6 years, 11 months ago

If you are able to go to KU with paying in-state tuition, I would say that KU is a bargin. If you are from out-of-state and forced to pay out-of -state tuition, I would have to say that KU is bordering on the expensive end.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 11 months ago

Business Week thinks education is great value and a solid industry.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

Roughly how much does it cost to go there?

Oh, and higher education is pretty much always very expensive, so I have a hard time considering it a good value. Valuable, yes, but not necessarily really a good value.

RonBurgandy 6 years, 11 months ago

Yes I do. Of course I graduated five years ago, so tuition was a lot less back then. But higher education is an investment, and it has returned it's value to me at least (not trying to brag, but I feel I wouldn't be where I was without it).

conservativepunker 6 years, 11 months ago

Price would come down if honorariums and other donated monies would not be limited to the almighty sports.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

14 years ago, it was a good value. I have no idea what it is now. Maybe we can get someone who actually pays tuition or has an "in" with the university to cough up some numbers???

Is it still National Pie Day? Can we get it to last about a month...like Chinese New Year or something? Today I'm thinking peach cobbler...which is just a square pie, after all!

MaryKatesPillStash 6 years, 11 months ago

For those of you who want to know the cost of attending KU, here's the breakdown on the new 4-year tuition plan:

--only for undergraduates (as far as I know) --you are 'locked in' at a rate if you graduate within a 4-year timeframe --for in-state residents, tuition would be $3195 per semester --for out-of-state students, tuition would be $8400 per semester

More information here: http://www.tuition.ku.edu/

Now, for those of you saying KU has declined in 'value' or 'academic performance,' can you elaborate? KU has continued to produce Rhodes Scholars, had exceptional job placement in many programs (both graduate and undergraduate), and has improved its student body (in my opinion) by implementing more stringent admissions standards.

For those of you saying KU is expensive, can you also elaborate? In 2002, as a senior in high school, I considered several state schools in my college search. Out-of-state tuition, at that time, was more expensive at many of the schools I looked at. In Texas, as a matter of fact, it was twice as expensive as KU's out-of-state tuition.

Here's an article that compares the costs of tuition at Big 12 schools :

Ack! Sorry it's from the Tribune...it's the first one I could find.

I'm not trying to be a PR rep for KU, but I'm curious about the facts on which people base their opinions.

hawklet21 6 years, 11 months ago

Out of state at KU isn't bad. That is why we have kids from Chicago flocking here, because they have a choice between private school, or state schools that cost more than out of state tuition at KU. That's what I've heard, anyway.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

Holy freakin' higher education costs batman! That sounds way expensive to me...but I'm old (almost 40) and when I was in school, tuition was around $650 a semester. But you could also afford to go to a movie AND spring for popcorn. (Still had to smuggle in the pop.)

I'm for anyplace that turns out Rhodes scholars! They make awesome rolls! And their cinnamon rolls are pretty darn good, too!

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 6 years, 11 months ago

Gene Budig may have had his faults, but he was a first rate administrator. Hemenway is an incompetent fop who stays in power solely by knowing what to kiss and when.

MaryKatesPillStash 6 years, 11 months ago

Okay, let's talk in-state costs. I guess I'll be the one to do my homework. These numbers are based on 15-hour undergraduate liberal arts rates. These do not include campus fees.

Oklahoma State: $1792 Texas Tech: $2145 Nebraska: $2550 Iowa State: $2676 K-State: $2805 Oklahoma: $3120 Kansas: $3195 Texas A&M: $3633 Texas: $3835 Colorado: $4044 Missouri: $4085 Baylor: $8881

Seems to me that KU has some pretty standard tuition rates????

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

blue, don't you mean friDAY friDAY friDAYs?

busymom 6 years, 11 months ago

I enjoy payin a lot in tuition to be taught by persons without a degree. Yep, that's what I love. Don't get me wrong, a lot of those undergrads know what they are talking about. And on the flipside of the coin, there are a couple professors that have no clue, and in those classes I did not learn anything. Is KU a bargain? Depends on how you look at it, if you prefer to know that you'll actually learn something in all of the ridiculous required classes then sure it's a bargain. However, when tuition is paid, a class is taken and a person doesn't learn anything, it's not a bargain. And before anyone says anything, yes I apply myself in my classes, I prefer to get my money's worth.

ndwheat 6 years, 11 months ago

$3,195x2=$6,390/year x 27,875 undergrads=$178,121,250 in tuition. Wow.

james bush 6 years, 11 months ago

I think the greatest value is Women's Studies and Social Welfare Studies.

james bush 6 years, 11 months ago

The School of Athletics is probably the very best value.